Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

The GIG posted:

I'm still not sure how people feel more than "drat, that sucks" when a game isn't at 60. I prefer it a lot but it's not going to ruin my day if it's locked to lower, just ends up being a checkmark in the negative column instead of "Game Ruining poo poo".

When you are controlling with a mouse and keyboard it's ridiculously bad. With a controller, it's better. However, that isn't the only issue with the PC version. After day-1 patch reports are frame stutters, hitching, texture problems, animation issues, and crashing. The PC version regardless of 30 fps is a mess. So for me, unfortunately, my 1070 GTX is still relegated to playing Witcher 3 and some legacy games. Which means the choice for me will be the PS4 version. As long as reports stay decent on that platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

The GIG posted:

I'm still not sure how people feel more than "drat, that sucks" when a game isn't at 60. I prefer it a lot but it's not going to ruin my day if it's locked to lower, just ends up being a checkmark in the negative column instead of "Game Ruining poo poo".

A 60 fps lock is a "drat, that sucks" type situation for me. A 30 fps lock, especially on an action game, is a "Lmao are you for real?" type situation where I'm not even going to consider buying the game. This isn't a turn based strategy game, and PC releases don't receive the same fudging that console games do to make 30 fps feel less like poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lol. This game triggered the alt right hard. I am content, glad it's apparently a pretty good game too. Apart from technical bugs.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two hours in. Game owns. Running smoothly here, although I'm not on the highest settings, need a better PC for that :(

The soundtrack is loving astounding, they've used music to great effect in the story missions, when Paint It Black comes on... man.
Plus, when Elvis comes on the radio while you're cruising around the Bayou... it just feels right.

Once they release a patch hopefully that calms most of the PC masterace haters, because the game in there is pretty solid, I'm having a blast so far, sure, it might get repedetive in the next few hours once I've finished Act 1, but so far so good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
30 FPS isn't the end of the world and people who refuse to buy a product based off of it are ridiculous drama queens. Constant crashing, save wipes, Bad Gameplay, sure. But a 30 FPS lock is a minor annoyance that will probably be fixed very soon by either a dev or some clever .dll hacks.

Also Steam should probably just completely eliminate reviews. They're 5% useful, honest reviews and 95% snap judgements, bandwagon complaints, or repeated lovely jokes. I think I've only clicked "was helpful" on maybe ten reviews ever. It's a bad system broken at its very core.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

drunkill posted:

Two hours in. Game owns. Running smoothly here, although I'm not on the highest settings, need a better PC for that :(

The soundtrack is loving astounding, they've used music to great effect in the story missions, when Paint It Black comes on... man.
Plus, when Elvis comes on the radio while you're cruising around the Bayou... it just feels right.

Once they release a patch hopefully that calms most of the PC masterace haters, because the game in there is pretty solid, I'm having a blast so far, sure, it might get repedetive in the next few hours once I've finished Act 1, but so far so good.

Yeah all reports are that the game itself, aside from repetitive side missions in the hours of 3-6 (Then it picks up again with variety according to a few posts) along with the sound track is awesome. I'll be going with the PS4 version tomorrow. But would have REALLY liked to have given this a run on my new 1070. :(

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

30 FPS isn't the end of the world and people who refuse to buy a product based off of it are ridiculous drama queens.

:suicide:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

SilentW posted:

I can personally verify that all the paid DLC for Mafia 3 that I know of is original content that was never slated to appear in the main storyline or game.

Paging SilentW. Can you possibly shed some light on the PC issues if you can say anything at this point?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

It blows my mind that some people either can't see the difference, or think the difference is so small that it isn't a big deal. 30 fps looks like a janky mess to me, especially compared to 120-144 fps.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I mean he's right. 60 FPS is really nice and I wish I could play every game with it but you can still play games that have 30fps, it wont kill you

e:and if you're on pc there's probably one line in a config file somewhere you can change to unlock it

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

I mean he's right. 60 FPS is really nice and I wish I could play every game with it but you can still play games that have 30fps, it wont kill you

Neither will 10 fps. Still not going to spend money on a lovely product.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
luckily this product is not lovely

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol. This game triggered the alt right hard. I am content, glad it's apparently a pretty good game too. Apart from technical bugs.

Right Wingers gonna always hate. Some are hilariously still sore about the Nazi losing thing.

I am happy to hear it is a pretty decent game technical reasons aside now. Fingers crossed those will be mopped up.

Will purchase when I got the dosh together.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

luckily this product is not lovely

With a 30 fps lock, crashes, stuttering on top of a 30 fps lock, and general performance issues, it's a pretty lovely product. That doesn't mean, all of those things taken out of the equation, the game, itself, isn't good. If you're willing to suffer through all of that for the story, and crashing and performance issues only add to the cinematic experience for you, that's fantastic. Keep on keeping on.

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008

Xeremides posted:

With a 30 fps lock, crashes, stuttering on top of a 30 fps lock, and general performance issues, it's a pretty lovely product. That doesn't mean, all of those things taken out of the equation, the game, itself, isn't good. If you're willing to suffer through all of that for the story, and crashing and performance issues only add to the cinematic experience for you, that's fantastic. Keep on keeping on.

You seem upset

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Xeremides posted:

sir this is a fishing shop

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Gee, I wonder why they didn't send out early review copies.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

fish fingers posted:

You seem upset

He should be if he was looking forward to something that should easily support 60 Fps and not be locked down. There is no excuse for it. And some people need to stop downplaying it. Next thing some of these folks will say is we shouldn't be so entitled to play 60fps games and be lucky we get 30... :mediocre:

But worse than all that are the poor PC releases lately anyway.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Xeremides posted:

Don't buy it then? Or get a refund.

I have not had any issues. Sure, that means they don't exist, but the only think I've had to suffer though is awesome music and the fact I need to sleep in the next hour or so, when I could be playing this all day.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
30 fps is not the end of the world but it's a sign of a poor port. That plus the crashs means I'll only get it cheap on Steam later

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It wouldn't be a new game release thread without the fps police coming in and calling the game a slideshow :rolleyes:

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-a-message-to-our-pc-players/

60 fps patch en route.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Utnayan posted:

He should be if he was looking forward to something that should easily support 60 Fps and not be locked down. There is no excuse for it. And some people need to stop downplaying it. Next thing some of these folks will say is we shouldn't be so entitled to play 60fps games and be lucky we get 30... :mediocre:

But worse than all that are the poor PC releases lately anyway.

The thing is that 30 FPS is playable to all but either elitests or those who have a sensitivity to framerates that trigger motion sickness or the like. 10 isn't. 20 barely counts but not really. I'm not championing those numbers but 30 is playable just fine. Yes, I'd prefer 60 or even uncapped, but the "30 FPS cap, refund plz!" crowd are ridiculous. But besides,

e: You know what, 30 sucks sometimes if the game is incredibly poorly made and does weird poo poo like ties physics to framerates in a way that breaks it (Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory) or screws up aiming (GTAV).

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Welp, sounds like 2k thinks it's important as well or a lot of others just cancelled their orders from the news enough that they are going to make it happen.

Good news.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The thing is that 30 FPS is playable to all but either elitests or those who have a sensitivity to framerates that trigger motion sickness or the like. 10 isn't. 20 barely counts but not really. I'm not championing those numbers but 30 is playable just fine. Yes, I'd prefer 60 or even uncapped, but the "30 FPS cap, refund plz!" crowd are ridiculous. But besides,

The point being there is literally no reason to cap it. None. Like, what so ever. And either way as you noted, it is being patched. You are a minority in which 60+ fps gaming doesn't matter. I used to be in that minority. I also used to think I never needed a smartphone either. And now that I have been using one for years, I do not expect Apple to come out with a flip phone and say "Deal with it. Good enough".

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Every time something like this comes up it really shows the true nature of PC gamers.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
60FPS compared to 30 is hardly worthy of that comparison. A flip phone makes calls, texts, and and maybe does some organization and media. A smart phone does all of that, has the entire internet in reach, open source development, apps for insanely specific uses that only a few people would ever need, and is generally an all around useful tool for most everything in day to day life at this point. It even allows posting to internet comedy forums.

But 60 FPS is just a really, REALLY nice, smooth experience. 30 is just good. It's not worth canceling or refunding a purchase over by virtue of itself and if you do you're overreacting. If it actually breaks something, sure. But who cares, a 60 patch is incoming so I guess you'll live.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I care more about color blind filters and accessibility aides than I can ever care about FPS tbh. It has always been a convenience in my eyes. Like I have a list of poo poo that should be paraded out before fps on the list of poo poo that makes a game bad.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

60FPS compared to 30 is hardly worthy of that comparison. A flip phone makes calls, texts, and and maybe does some organization and media. A smart phone does all of that, has the entire internet in reach, open source development, apps for insanely specific uses that only a few people would ever need, and is generally an all around useful tool for most everything in day to day life at this point. It even allows posting to internet comedy forums.

But 60 FPS is just a really, REALLY nice, smooth experience. 30 is just good. It's not worth canceling or refunding a purchase over by virtue of itself and if you do you're overreacting. If it actually breaks something, sure. But who cares, a 60 patch is incoming so I guess you'll live.

I am buying it on PS4 now anyway because of all the other poo poo that isn't patched with the day one patch. How about this? How about all versions get implemented to the best of their ability instead of least common denominate developing the industry into the ground?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

I guess I now understand why Sony decided pseudo-4k/30 was a more worthwhile endeavor than 1440/60.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Could someone who has played it let me know if the game is good?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Its a $60 game that basically only exists for recreation. There is little to no point in trying to browbeat people into spending money on stuff that is subpar for them.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

vainman posted:

Could someone who has played it let me know if the game is good?

Currently it's unplayable garbage but thanks to the efforts of grassroots organizers there's now a patch coming to fix it

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

Currently it's unplayable garbage but thanks to the efforts of grassroots organizers there's now a patch coming to fix it

I mean, we're harping on the PC version right now, but the X1 version sounds like poo poo, too. If you have a PS4, that's the way to go.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Xeremides posted:

I mean, we're harping on the PC version right now, but the X1 version sounds like poo poo, too. If you have a PS4, that's the way to go.

Could almost be said of any game in the past two years.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Could almost be said of any game in the past two years.

Well, right now this port may rival Arkham Knight. Now new reports of anything over 1080p being crushed on scaling.

Basically just a lovely port all around. Dark are you planning on getting this and do you have a PS4?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
LOL Sweet Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvcNODuFg5c

It may be time to get this just to laugh hysterically at everything that goes wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXvezu8K5pk

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Annnnnnd now I'm glad I didn't preorder. I'll pick it up once the issues are fixed.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Annnnnnd now I'm glad I didn't preorder. I'll pick it up once the issues are fixed.

It only affects the ones with the updated firmware. The rest are totally fine. This is fine. Everything is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Something that is interesting, Genius put out a video with Ice Cube about the lyrics of "Nobody Wants to Die"

• Locked thread