Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Brannock posted:

But if Americans are increasingly doing other stuff instead of watching TV, then why not compete directly with that, instead of against each other in a shrinking market share?

Infrastructure, corporate lethargy/inertia, and also they are, slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Brannock posted:

But if Americans are increasingly doing other stuff instead of watching TV, then why not compete directly with that, instead of against each other in a shrinking market share?

Because they don't own that. If you're Comcast, who owns NBC, you've already got thousands of miles in cable laid under homes and millions of cable boxes on top of TVs in the United States that isn't costing you a dime. Why would you spend millions of dollars to build new products that compete with your existing products in areas that are outside your core competency? Change is already hard enough for big companies when they haven't spent 50 years building analog moats around their fiefdoms.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't feel like OBJ is even that outrageous in his sideline actions, why is it so bad if a players throws his helmet or gets emotional? The kicking net thing was funny.

The helmet shot at Josh Norman last season seems to be the only dumb and bad thing he's done, the rest is a man wearing his emotions on the outside which I respect and enjoy

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gynecolojustice posted:

I don't feel like OBJ is even that outrageous in his sideline actions, why is it so bad if a players throws his helmet or gets emotional? The kicking net thing was funny.

The helmet shot at Josh Norman last season seems to be the only dumb and bad thing he's done, the rest is a man wearing his emotions on the outside which I respect and enjoy

*NFL Network just had a whole show about how cool and good Chad Johnson was*

*Bans the concept of human joy*

:perfect:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gynecolojustice posted:

Pretend you're old, white, and have some hangups about race and the fact that your teenage daughter is listening to Kid 'n Play.

Get it now?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

jerry richardson is going to stumble on blacked.com and mandate circumcision as well as no tattoos

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Kalli posted:

Sling is pretty good, but fair warning, the Xbox one app is terrible.

Well poo poo.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I am 95% sure it does not, but if you can find one I'll be thrilled.

I just did some research since I'm bored at work and it doesn't. But I might buy this outside DVR from Channel Master that I found.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Mast...master+dvr+plus

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 6, 2016

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

Brannock posted:

I think you're underrating how incredibly challenging it is to produce a NFL game the way we see it on TV. You have multiple cameras, sound receivers, interviewers, broadcasters, the production room, statistics, the truck, and you have to juggle everything all at once, cut highlights, cue up graphics and such, all on maybe a 7 second delay at most. Movie sets are idylls compared to sports TV production.

Where are we that I haven't been working on live productions for decades? Are we going to get into a Chyron debate? Movie sets are 'idylls'? Really? I've worked on "movie" sets and in trucks working on sports and the vast difference is that you're shooting something transitory versus telling a story. You can tell a story twice, you can't capture something sport-y twice. I don't care how many cameras you have on it, John Facenda has been dead for a long time.

That being said, one would think that you'd be better off getting four dollars from five hundred million people than two hundred bucks from a half million people.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I use it and while it's not great, it's relatively workable. Not my favorite way to watch a game, though.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Josh Norman had to eat a 10k fine for his bow n arrow.

what the loving gently caress.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
it's a slippery slope. if we just let players get away with fake bow and arrows, pretty soon it'll be real bows and arrows then guns and then we got a billy cole situation on our hands

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheChirurgeon posted:

A l a carte pricing is really tricky--it's what everyone actually wants, but the last thing cable companies want to provide. It's easy for ESPN or HBO to get away with charging $25 per month for their content, but much harder for smaller networks. And the rub is that most networks are owned by a larger company--NBC owns Bravo, USA, Syfy, CNBC, MSNBC, and a host of other smaller networks. They'd much rather you buy all of them as a package deal, because they know that no one is going to pay those kinds of costs for Oxygen and Golf Channel and Cloo, and the subscriber bases won't be large enough to cover those networks. They're much more valuable as sources of ad revenue, because of how they can sell the respective audiences of each network.

Cable is one of the biggest scams in America right now, though--not only are you paying a subscription fee for those channels, you still get ads, and more of them--cable shows cram in 1-2 extra minutes of ads per half hour over broadcast shows, and even speed up old shows in syndication to fit in more ads.

On that note, the amount of ad revenue networks get for NFL games is loving insane, and a clear indicator of why they don't give a gently caress about streaming games--NBC's streams aren't making anywhere near the $674k they get for a 30s ad for Sunday Night Football on TV (the streams likely top out at a $50 CPM if it's not being offered as added value to a TV buy, which with 3.4M unique streamers in 2015 would optimisitically have made them around $50-$100M for the whole season where at least year's price of $603M per 30s spot, a single episode of SNF would net more than $60M in ad revenue (the average NFL game features more than 100 30-second ad spots).

AdAge just put out a great article about this, for those interested: http://adage.com/article/news/tv-ad-pricing-chart/305899/

Yeah, I know a la carte is pretty impossible with how contractually things are set up. It's just annoying knowing that we have the technology to easily create a platform that could provide it that functions as an app on literally every device known to man.

It does raise an interesting question about what the future of television becomes. As more people start streaming over watching TV, how companies get funding to produce TV is going to be an interesting dilemma.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

also how can you possibly hate AB twerkin.

poo poo I thought Moss mooning Lambeau Field was cool as poo poo.

Let me be commish of the NFL.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Emmanuel Sanders did the same dance Antonio Brown did after a TD in Cincinnati and didn't get fined :iiam:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Nothing football related but reading up on Matthew, are you or your alter-egos Crazy or nnnAdam (come back) being evacuated?

e: Stay safe Dolfan goons, you need to let the team slowly kill you. Jacksonville fans too, for the same reason.

I'm about 10 miles south of the eyes hit point

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, I know a la carte is pretty impossible with how contractually things are set up. It's just annoying knowing that we have the technology to easily create a platform that could provide it that functions as an app on literally every device known to man.

It does raise an interesting question about what the future of television becomes. As more people start streaming over watching TV, how companies get funding to produce TV is going to be an interesting dilemma.

Yeah it's not really clear how networks will fund multiple big shows on subscription revenue alone. Netflix pulls in $2B+ per quarter and still isn't profitable and it's nowhere near a given that they'll grow enough to make their 2017 profitability goal. While we all want the NFL to offer a direct Sunday Ticket-style offering, that would compete directly with the networks, and might violate their multi-billion dollar agreements (and likely is a negotiation point for the networks). But even then, the NFL would want to sell advertising in those games directly to make up for the rest of the $20Bn+ their current contracts net.

On that note, I'm not even sure football could exist/work without commercial breaks. As much as I'd love to condense a game down to 2 hours, wouldn't that lead to greater levels of player exhaustion and sloppier play? Seems like defenses in particular would get gassed much faster.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Oh yeah, gotta have breaks in there for sure. "TD, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial" is pure bullshit though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Magicpants posted:

it's a slippery slope. if we just let players get away with fake bow and arrows, pretty soon it'll be real bows and arrows then guns and then we got a billy cole situation on our hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEh0Y0xvFVk

Let 'me have fun, ref.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

whypick1 posted:

Oh yeah, gotta have breaks in there for sure. "TD, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial" is pure bullshit though.

Oh, totally. Huge waste of time between every drive

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Hey now, give the NFL some credit. There's only a commercial between the TD and extra point if it's being reviewed :downs:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

whypick1 posted:

Oh yeah, gotta have breaks in there for sure. "TD, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial, one play to end the quarter, commercial" is pure bullshit though.

ftfy. Well, I've seen it happen a few times before.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Brockenstein posted:

Ok I don't actually know what skyline chili tastes like or anything but a lot of times when I make chili I'll make cornbread pancakes, put the chili on top, cover it with cheese and gorge

Delicious

Mix in some hot link, even better.

I like using hot links for chili dogs, then instead of cheddar i'll use a mex cheese blend and throw a scoop of pico on top.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Weeeeeeeeeee! Enjoy MNF everyone with all the scrubs playing.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Joe Horns Cellphone Celebration is the GOAT.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

wandler20 posted:

When was the last time an MNF matchup was as bad as (if not worse than) a TNF matchup in the same week

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
what is Goodell gonna do when Tom Brady wins CPOTY

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Magicpants posted:

Tom Brady the scrappy underdog pulls out a win

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Magicpants posted:

Coming back from what? Cheating?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

wandler20 posted:

I wonder if there is any way this game gets canceled.....

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

When was the last time an MNF matchup was as bad as (if not worse than) a TNF matchup in the same week

Every week since ESPN got MNF

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Touché

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

It's a shame he didn't have to write that note though.

It would be an appropriate way for Matt Cassel's career to end.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Butter Hole posted:

Coming back from what? Cheating?

wrongful persecution, defamation of character

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

WHOOPS posted:

$199 for your team, $299 for your division, $399 for the league.

Probably. I mean, Sunday Ticket online is either $199 or $299 depending on if you go MAX or not.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Magicpants posted:

I think you're ineligible for postseason awards if you've been suspended at any point in the season

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

wandler20 posted:

I WONDER WHY RATINGS ARE DOWN MAYBE IT'S ALL THE STREAMING AND GIF SHARING KIDS ARE DOING

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Athanatos posted:

Every week since ESPN got MNF

I remember when MNF was a huge major event and it was a big deal for your team to be on MNF

Now SNF's taken that place

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

wandler20 posted:

The Tostitos(r) Injury Bowl

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Brannock posted:

Now SNF's taken that place

After the last one I am willing to say gently caress SNF and I don't mind if my team is never on it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Oh come on, you're not that far removed from the "TOM BRADY AND THE PATRIOTS ARE DONE" game.

• Locked thread