Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For Coin-optober you should see if you live near any arcades and play any game you can find that would be impossible to emulate properly because of the cabinet design and play that because they're unique experiences that won't exist once the hardware breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when i don't want to play any of my hundreds of games i usually put on cities skylines or a 4x on easy and just relax

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

For Coin-optober you should see if you live near any arcades and play any game you can find that would be impossible to emulate properly because of the cabinet design and play that because they're unique experiences that won't exist once the hardware breaks
I wanna play Sonic Blast man again.

You get to punch a giant crab:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In Training posted:

There's a bowling alley right across from where I work. I should check out their arcade.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

In Training posted:

This is an incredible idea! I will do my best to find such a place.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Here's my reason why you should play Freedom Force: it's the best thing Irrational Games ever made.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Interesting, tell me more of this "Freedom Force"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Someone mentioned in the Steam thread that Notch "went off the deep end". This sounds fascinating and I want to know more. :allears: Can someone point me to a write-up or tweets or something? Thanks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Campy small-scale rts rpg where you control up to 4 superheroes going around fighting bad guys in a silver age comic book setting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3BDoaCm2TQ

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

he got really depressed and said lsd rules and everything is bad

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

oddium posted:

he got really depressed and said lsd rules and everything is bad

he's not wrong, but is that pretty much it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

and then someone came in and talked about how they weren't addicted to cigarettes because they can stop whenever they want and every time they've taken it up again they were able to "quit" which was the funniest part in my opinion

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

subway masturbator posted:

he's not wrong, but is that pretty much it?

Here: https://storify.com/CrashCatt/notch-lsd

It's just usual Notch.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Basically what FAK said, but also it's got physics! You can throw things at evidoers to your heart's content. I don't want to toot my own horn*, but I did an LP of it.

*okay yes i do

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The physics suck because I just wanted to throw a water tower at an enemy on a rooftop and the water tower kept hitting something along the way or not going far enough or bouncing just past the enemy!!

e: and also all the times I'd pick up a car and then immediately drop it while trying to throw it or throw it and it'd hit one of the many things in the way and do fuckall

or the street lamps that did lots of damage but iirc could also hit your allies

I didnt try to mess with physics much outside of explosive barrels since at least with those I didn't have to be precise :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

The physics suck because I just wanted to throw a water tower at an enemy on a rooftop and the water tower kept hitting something along the way or not going far enough or bouncing just past the enemy!!

Freedom Force becomes much more enjoyable once you accept the fact that it did not have much of a budget.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I didn't realize the new River city 3DS game was out and apparently they only sold a handful of copies on amazon that got snatched up by scalpers :argh:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I would not go so far as to say Freedom Force is easy; in fact, I would call it difficult.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm only up to the part where I just recruited not-aquaman and the one kid took a shot for minuteman and something something I think mentor and minuteman are having a fight

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

oddium posted:

and then someone came in and talked about how they weren't addicted to cigarettes because they can stop whenever they want and every time they've taken it up again they were able to "quit" which was the funniest part in my opinion

still funny af so thanks guys!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

I might pick up Bravely Default 2 today or tomorrow because I'm nearly done with the DQ7 post game.

It's extremely good but I hope you're down for another 100 hour game

I'm so glad Transformers: Devastation is free this month, it's very good. Though I feel a bit bad since I also got Vanquish for free. I promise I'll buy their next game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Most people I notice going "i'm getting tired of video games" usually aren't tired of video games, they're just aging past the point they'll play almost anything that comes out and solidifying into a few games or genres they really enjoy. Which isn't a bad thing.

If they're like me I would say it's the opposite. What they don't realize they're tired of is the sequel-itis of only playing essentially the same few games over and over and starting to get bored. Once you're done the new AssCreed, oh look, Batman's out again! Ok great, I just finished Batman, oooh Uncharted just released! If you don't have the time to power through games quickly there's not time to branch out before another familiar IP is available to play once more.

I'm thankful for PSN and indie games because I'm diversifying what I play way more than I have since... my Gameboy days maybe?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oddium posted:

All I meant was that I apparently don't get physically addicted to nicotine as evidenced by not, you know, feeling withdrawal symptoms if I stop smoking. Obviously I have a psychological addiction if I keep starting again, but lol if you think that's the same thing as physical addiction and withdrawal

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm so glad Transformers: Devastation is free this month, it's very good. Though I feel a bit bad since I also got Vanquish for free. I promise I'll buy their next game.

Wait, on what platform?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Wait, on what platform?

PS4, the Re-REmake is also free this month.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its on sale for like $12 on steam too. I'd like to play it but I have too much other poo poo to play right now

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How long do you think until Devastation is $5 on steam? 3 or 4 more years? :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

precision posted:

All I meant was that I apparently don't get physically addicted to nicotine as evidenced by not, you know, feeling withdrawal symptoms if I stop smoking. Obviously I have a psychological addiction if I keep starting again, but lol if you think that's the same thing as physical addiction and withdrawal

the adam jensen of nicotine

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

How long do you think until Devastation is $5 on steam? 3 or 4 more years? :v:

It'll go into a bundle first, that's when I'm planning to get it. :getin:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

PS4, the Re-REmake is also free this month.

Where does it show up? I have a gently caress of a time finding the free games every month. Is it not up yet? I found REmake, but I couldn't find any other free games. I hate the PSN store so much. STOP TRYING TO SELL ME PS+. I OBVIOUSLY HAVE IT.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

video games status: im starting to not enjoy video games anymore

is this what getting older feels like. i just want to play a dice game now with my grandma

I am getting to be the same way. I have a huge pile of games that I keep stupidly buying because they look interesting, but just can't drum up the will to play them after getting home from work late and making dinner because they're all a big time and often energy investment. I end up just playing a game or two of hearthstone or something and then doing nothing the rest of the night.

Video games are too much work now that I am an Old and also bad at work-life balance.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

Where does it show up? I have a gently caress of a time finding the free games every month. Is it not up yet? I found REmake, but I couldn't find any other free games. I hate the PSN store so much. STOP TRYING TO SELL ME PS+. I OBVIOUSLY HAVE IT.

If you're on a US account it's on the web store under Games, Playstation Plus, Free Games.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES

If you're on another region it's organized differently so have fun

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh. I stopped ever selecting things that said Playstation Plus, because 90% of those just take me a screen where I can buy more ps+.

I will look there, thanks.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

chumbler posted:

I am getting to be the same way. I have a huge pile of games that I keep stupidly buying because they look interesting, but just can't drum up the will to play them after getting home from work late and making dinner because they're all a big time and often energy investment. I end up just playing a game or two of hearthstone or something and then doing nothing the rest of the night.

Video games are too much work now that I am an Old and also bad at work-life balance.

One thing I did that helped with this is not buying so many games and, if I did get a game that I was not interested in, just dropping it and not committing to completing it. Rather than committing to some stupid backlog, I focus on games that I enjoy. If I'm not enjoying a game, there's no point in trudging through. When I was younger sure, but now I don't have time for that because of the whole work/life balance.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh poo poo Silver Case got a PC port?!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bloodychill posted:

One thing I did that helped with this is not buying so many games and, if I did get a game that I was not interested in, just dropping it and not committing to completing it. Rather than committing to some stupid backlog, I focus on games that I enjoy. If I'm not enjoying a game, there's no point in trudging through. When I was younger sure, but now I don't have time for that because of the whole work/life balance.

I feel like I need some kind of balance here - I tend to drop games at the slightest whim as I move onto new and shiny, but I do like to finish games - especially story-driven games where I want to see the finales. So I wind up in this weird mix where I'm still playing Brigador or Invisible Inc or Caves of Qud while trying to chip away at Shadowrun or the Fall, and I constantly eyezoom to new things that occupy me for a while before they land in the backlog pile.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's not a video game but I started playing D&D with some friends of mine! Funny that we would get into it in our mid-20s but I'm not complaining.

It's really fun, I wish I'd started sooner!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

It's not a video game but I started playing D&D with some friends of mine! Funny that we would get into it in our mid-20s but I'm not complaining.

It's really fun, I wish I'd started sooner!

Dang, nice, our party started at level 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tap my mountain posted:

Oh poo poo Silver Case got a PC port?!

I'm excited to play it when I get home

• Locked thread