Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

It would be funny if it wasn't true: see the influx of microtransactions and DLC's the past few years. Not hard to prove.

Oh and preorders.

Oh and early access.

Why is it hard to extend that to: "hey gamers don't really care about FPS, so why spend resources to have 60+"?

Huh I could have sworn DOOM came out not to long ago and didnt have any real issue and is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

wjs5 posted:

Huh I could have sworn DOOM came out not to long ago and didnt have any real issue and is amazing.

You could only run that game at a smooth 30 fps, or a completely disgusting 60 fps max that dipped down to 30 constantly. There's no third option.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

wjs5 posted:

Of course it did well, and then you have the disasters of preorders and early access that did not do well. Your point?

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

Of course it did well, and then you have the disasters of preorders and early access that did not do well. Your point?

That your point probably isnt as full of merit as you seem to think.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Because doom was good, mafia 3 will be good this isn't rocket science you nerds

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

wjs5 posted:

That your point probably isnt as full of merit as you seem to think.

If his point doesn't apply to absolutely every game ever, his point has no validity? Holy hell.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Yes that is exactly what I am saying thanks for helping clarify.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

wjs5 posted:

Yes that is exactly what I am saying thanks for helping clarify.

You're welcome. Would you, too, like an explanation on why 2k is literally Ted Bundy, or are you already familiar with hyperbole and metaphor?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Xeremides posted:

If his point doesn't apply to absolutely every game ever, his point has no validity? Holy hell.

Ted Bundy

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It's almost as if there are various factors to explain why games ship in the state they do, such as staff size, budget, time frame and tools available to the developers. But, here's a few examples of games that did 60fps at launch, so surely these specific dev's are just lazy fucks and hate PC players on a personal level.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
actually didn't like doom but that puts me in the minority

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
okay but who in this metaphor is the zodiac killer

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Afraid of Audio posted:

idk but if this tiresome discussion continues i hope i'm his next victim

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The Father: Take 2

The Son: Rockstar Games

The Holy Spirit: Rockstar's Table Tennis.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Afraid of Audio posted:

Could you not keep on bringing up Ted Bundy Cruz

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

eleven extra elephants posted:

idk but if this tiresome discussion continues i hope i'm his next victim

I don't think Rocksteady wants to develop you.

Nuts and Gum posted:

It's almost as if there are various factors to explain why games ship in the state they do, such as staff size, budget, time frame and tools available to the developers. But, here's a few examples of games that did 60fps at launch, so surely these specific dev's are just lazy fucks and hate PC players on a personal level.

If the majority of games were released with 30 fps locks, complaining wouldn't do anything. It's because the vast majority release with 60 as a minimum that when one doesn't, a shitstorm arises and the dev capitulates, as they have in this case.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

I have never before seen people fight so hard for regression in technology and development. It is true, Idiocracy has arrived.

That's a very interesting take on my comment. Not really based on reality, unfortunately, but interesting nonetheless.

Xeremides posted:

Duke Nukem 3D supported 60 fps, Diablo is an ARPG so, much like strategy games, don't necessarily need 60 fps, and Tomb Raider didn't. You'll notice that in 1996, Tomb Raider was actually pushing hardware, so it's understandable that they didn't aim for what only a supercomputer could achieve at the time. Much like why Bloodborne and Dark Souls 4 are 30 fps titles on the PS4. That isn't the case today for PC. Skip forward a few years, and you start seeing support skyrocket. Because, you know, tech got better.

So, you're saying that the default standard for gaming decades ago was not, in fact 60fps? (Please note that I'm not saying, as Kontradz above seems to have assumed, that 30fps is fine and dandy and we should all devolve back it immediately :toot:.)

Actually, my systems back at that time were either Amiga or hand-me-down 586 v/Voodoo 1, so I wasn't paying attention to ULTIMATE MAX FPS discussions, but then again, I wasn't seeing a lot of column space or electrons being devoted to the issue either. <shrug>

Guess I'll be looking around at the reviews/actual non-sponsored play videos/goon reports/maybe getting some hands-on at an upcoming LAN party, because I could use some 1960s iron to horse around N'awlins streets and assholes to murder. :getin:

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

That's a very interesting take on my comment. Not really based on reality, unfortunately, but interesting nonetheless.

So, you're saying that the default standard for gaming decades ago was not, in fact 60fps? (Please note that I'm not saying, as Kontradz above seems to have assumed, that 30fps is fine and dandy and we should all devolve back it immediately :toot:.)

Actually, my systems back at that time were either Amiga or hand-me-down 586 v/Voodoo 1, so I wasn't paying attention to ULTIMATE MAX FPS discussions, but then again, I wasn't seeing a lot of column space or electrons being devoted to the issue either. <shrug>

Guess I'll be looking around at the reviews/actual non-sponsored play videos/goon reports/maybe getting some hands-on at an upcoming LAN party, because I could use some 1960s iron to horse around N'awlins streets and assholes to murder. :getin:

You listed 3 games from 3 different genres, and the one where fps matters the most, the first person shooter, supported 60 fps. Hey, Doom 2016, Mafia 3 and Furi when it first released! One supports 165 hz, and the other two only support(ed) 30 fps! The standard on PC gaming clearly isn't 60 fps.

When the tech can support 60 fps, the devs generally support 60 fps, even on consoles:

http://www.giantbomb.com/60-fps-on-consoles/3015-3223/games/

Or just a straight up list:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26920-Games-with-3D-graphics-running-at-60-fps-5th-Generation-Consoles

Which is why it doesn't make sense for Mafia 3 to be locked to 30.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 6, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
But what about Jeffrey Dahmer?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Oh man we got an old-timer - sorry for misunderstanding you sensei.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Xeremides posted:

You're welcome. Would you, too, like an explanation on why 2k is literally Ted Bundy, or are you already familiar with hyperbole and metaphor?

What are hyperbole or metaphor?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

wjs5 posted:

Man, who cares? 2k just patched Bioshock: Remastered! They're just regular murderers now! Awww yeah.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

wjs5 posted:

One is BTK and the other is Ed Gein

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kontradaz posted:

Imagine the 30FPS line stamping on a human face forever, that's how good it is.
GIFs don't go faster than 50 FPS, dingus.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Great Joe posted:

GIFs don't go faster than 50 FPS, dingus.

I'm sorry your browser sucks.(Chrome master race)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kontradaz posted:

I'm sorry your browser sucks.(Chrome master race)
The least frame delay supported by Chrome is 0.02 seconds. 50FPS.

Now, here's a comparison that works. 60 on the left half, 30 on the right half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StaSYlxp9v0

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Great Joe posted:

The least frame delay supported by Chrome is 0.02 seconds. 50FPS.

Now, here's a comparison that works. 60 on the left half, 30 on the right half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StaSYlxp9v0

I'm switching back to Netscape.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man what the heck happened to this thread...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It got bad.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

30FPS happened.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
People had sunk cost, other people felt ripped off. Thread got bad.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I got Ted bundy and AL bundy mixed up for a while and let me tell you this thread got VERY confusing for me

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Bought it against my better judgement and hard crashed 3 times before I could even get through the tutorial opening, one so bad I had to restart my comp. Welp this is why Steam has refunds I guess :shrug:

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Bought it against my better judgement and hard crashed 3 times before I could even get through the tutorial opening, one so bad I had to restart my comp. Welp this is why Steam has refunds I guess :shrug:

Hey man, crashes are just part of PC gaming - why do you expect the devs to have a game that runs without crashes on every spec? It's impossible. 2K tried their best :(

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kontradaz posted:

Hey man, crashes are just part of PC gaming - why do you expect the devs to have a game that runs without crashes on every spec? It's impossible. 2K tried their best :(

The best part about when devs release dumpster-fire-quality ports is how utterly baffled they are that people don't like their flaming dumpster

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
arent rockstar and 2k the same company

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
personally, 2k is more like isis, to me

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

John Romero posted:

arent rockstar and 2k the same company

Nah that's Take-Two Interactive. Quite confusing.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Roobanguy posted:

Utnayan posted:

Of course, the difference between Rockstar and 2k is like comparing Jesus Christ to Ted Bundy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Thread has gone full No Man' Sky

• Locked thread