Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

littleorv posted:

Well Mafia III has been out for a while now so I guess I'll come check out the thread for some opinions on the game and decide whether I'll buy it in the morning

Oh FPS chat, great.

Wait, what is this?!

:yikes:

Mafia 3 unlocks in like an hour for me, I thought this thing had a global release time? You guys all pirating or something?

(Maybe that's why you guys don't give a poo poo about quality, who cares when it's free LOL)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

littleorv posted:

Well Mafia III has been out for a while now so I guess I'll come check out the thread for some opinions on the game and decide whether I'll buy it in the morning

Oh FPS chat, great.

Wait, what is this?!

:yikes:

Out for a while? Did a bunch of people get early access to the game somehow? It shows as being unlocked in an hour for me.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Cojawfee posted:

Out for a while? Did a bunch of people get early access to the game somehow? It shows as being unlocked in an hour for me.

High five

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hmmm. Thought it was a staggered release. I may be mistaken

Carry on

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

I AM THE TOILET posted:

have we gotten to the part where someone says they prefer 30 frames over 60

No we are passed that now and talking about how Ted Bundy is 2K and Jesus Christ is Rockstar games. 30fps is so cinematic.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
my brother's one of these people who insist absolutely INSIST on having that 60 fps in a videogame and he'll blow paycheck after paycheck on hardware and games and "performance boosters" and he'll turn on the game, show it to me, and beam with pride as it by god runs at sixty god drat frames a second

he then turns the game off after a couple hours, forgets about it, and then complains that there's nothing to play

he then gets on my case for playing lego batman and it's just like

what is happiness to this person

apparently it is not being able to play every videogame in existence at sixty frames

but it is REALLY IMPORTANT that he is able to

anyways he's carping about the framerate lock on mafia 3 and that's his justification for pirating it

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
He sounds like the kind of guy who supes up his car and then only drives around the block. For the rest of us, we actually, you know, play the game.

Also, the game isn't worth pirating in it's current state, either.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

I AM THE TOILET posted:

my brother's one of these people who insist absolutely INSIST on having that 60 fps in a videogame and he'll blow paycheck after paycheck on hardware and games and "performance boosters" and he'll turn on the game, show it to me, and beam with pride as it by god runs at sixty god drat frames a second

he then turns the game off after a couple hours, forgets about it, and then complains that there's nothing to play

he then gets on my case for playing lego batman and it's just like

what is happiness to this person

apparently it is not being able to play every videogame in existence at sixty frames

but it is REALLY IMPORTANT that he is able to

anyways he's carping about the framerate lock on mafia 3 and that's his justification for pirating it

Your brother is a great human being. I'm tearing up right.now.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

incorporeal posted:

Well. Yeah. I can see that as defending 2k. But I'm not. I just don't think video games are worth being so upset about. Not worth any of this.

Yeah, $60 is nothing to be upset about.
It's just money, haha. :^)

We just expect a certain level of quality with the prices we pay for our products, is that really so insane?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I paid $32 for this game, if you didn't shop around for the best deal that's on you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Utnayan posted:

I'm about to play it in an hour and a half. But when people talk repetitive basically they are just referring to that. When you take over territory. So in a way you can still do that.

BUt this was the best part of the Mafia Games, what the gently caress?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Davoren posted:

I paid $32 for this game, if you didn't shop around for the best deal that's on you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I wanted to play Mafia 1 but it doesn't recognise mouse movement any more. Just thought I'd ask if anyone here had gotten it to work before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have it working. I didn't do anything special. I even have my xbone controller working too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Davoren posted:

That's besides the point, it's money being spent and telling the developers that what they're doing is ok and worth paying them for.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cojawfee posted:

I have it working. I didn't do anything special. I even have my xbone controller working too.

When I use my controller it just spins out of control. :(

Might try xpadder, or whatever see if that works.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Don't preorder games

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Mouse works fine for me, just tested

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Deakul posted:

Yeah, $60 is nothing to be upset about.
It's just money, haha. :^)

We just expect a certain level of quality with the prices we pay for our products, is that really so insane?

get a grown up job

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
whats with these people over 30 years old duel-wielding teen jobs and being on the welfare

why are they so lazy they should just go to grown up school and get a grown up diplomer to rake in the dough

if they weren't so lazy

:derp:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

okay but who in this metaphor is the zodiac killer
The WatchunderscoreDogs 2 mini-DLC pre-order bonus.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

John Romero posted:

get a grown up job

Working at gamestop doesn't count as a real job homie.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Don't know why people are complaining about framerate locks when the keyboard controls are completely screwed.

First of all there seems to be some sort of Destiny-/No Man's Sky-esque delay between pressing a key and the game noticing it. Not lag, but ignoring the first fraction of a second of input. Means you can't do fine movements when driving or walking.

Second of all is that there seems to be some kind of shonky buffer for input that doesn't clear when you release a key. In the first mission I was wondering why the hell Lincoln was walking forwards and not stopping even though I wasn't pressing any keys. Lincoln continued on forwards and even lurched to the right twice before walking in reverse, and finally stopping. I realised that the lurches to the right were me trying to get into cover several seconds ago, and the walking backwards was me trying to apply the brakes to Lincoln. Didn't work. This behaviour also leads to Lincoln, when driving, running into the back of something then reversing into something else as the message to the brakes gets there late. Unbelievable.

Anyone else getting this on keyboard? Really not interested in using a controller.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

John Romero posted:

get a grown up job

Well for us rich folk it's only 60. That's kindling :suicide:

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Morter posted:

whats with these people over 30 years old duel-wielding teen jobs and being on the welfare

why are they so lazy they should just go to grown up school and get a grown up diplomer to rake in the dough

if they weren't so lazy

:derp:

true

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

xPanda posted:

Don't know why people are complaining about framerate locks when the keyboard controls are completely screwed.

First of all there seems to be some sort of Destiny-/No Man's Sky-esque delay between pressing a key and the game noticing it. Not lag, but ignoring the first fraction of a second of input. Means you can't do fine movements when driving or walking.

Second of all is that there seems to be some kind of shonky buffer for input that doesn't clear when you release a key. In the first mission I was wondering why the hell Lincoln was walking forwards and not stopping even though I wasn't pressing any keys. Lincoln continued on forwards and even lurched to the right twice before walking in reverse, and finally stopping. I realised that the lurches to the right were me trying to get into cover several seconds ago, and the walking backwards was me trying to apply the brakes to Lincoln. Didn't work. This behaviour also leads to Lincoln, when driving, running into the back of something then reversing into something else as the message to the brakes gets there late. Unbelievable.

Anyone else getting this on keyboard? Really not interested in using a controller.

Nope.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Less than an hour in on PS4. Just crashed. Unfucking real.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
bah, was going to buy this this morning from gamesplanet but 2k changed the deal and keys no longer activate in canada.

now I'm just bummed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't loaded it up yet, but I guess there's two weeks for them to release this patch and for people to say the game runs well before I'll just refund and wait until it's on sale.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

CJacobs posted:

My point is, would you rather have a game that runs lovely but peaks at 60, or a game that runs perfectly fine at 30? There is no third option, those are your choices. It's lovely, yes, but it being a make or break thing in all cases for anybody is dumb and you should lower your standards to human levels.

You are a loving moron.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
*bursts into the thread in a cloud of dandruff*

WHERE IS MY FOV SLIDER??? DOWNVOTING UNTIL I CAN SET FOV TO 102.492 DEGREES

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, this game has some real bad default controls and the capped 30 fps is pretty noticeable(feels so sluggish and like i'm drunk or something) but I can mostly deal with it.
Driving is good, shooting is good, and the story seems great and really well presented so far after playing it for an hour and a half.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Slanderer posted:

*bursts into the thread in a cloud of dandruff*

WHERE IS MY FOV SLIDER??? DOWNVOTING UNTIL I CAN SET FOV TO 102.492 DEGREES

It actually has an FOV slider funnily enough.

Also now that I've wasted a couple of hours trying to get Mafia 1 to work to no avail, the audio clipping in 3 isn't bothering me as much. I just want to play a game without problems. :negative:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 7, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It actually has an FOV slider funnily enough.

Then the Greasy Ones have been appeased. 8/10.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

xPanda posted:

I wasn't able to play it long enough to notice

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Unlocked the game early by VPNing through Korea so I was able to get a few hours in today. Here is my opinion:

Good:
-Great sound track, and they use the music well
-So far the story is engaging. They have a good team of writers. Not super far in yet though
-I like the environment, both the setting and the design. You can't enter every building but there are many you can lock pick for some extra money order collectables. The environment feels funner to explore, unlike GTA where it might as well have been a .jpg background
-Nice qol features like being able to call weapons vendor and stuff like that. Some interesting items too like a group distract
-Fantastic intro levels
-No crashes in about 5 hours of play

Bad:
-Textures look real sub-par, and I don't like some of the crazy lighting changes. The game looks pretty good in cut scenes but the quality really drops in the world.
-Bad draw distance, though I haven't seen much pop in
-Resolution limited to 1080
-Menu navigation is weird, it scrolls through.. tiles? When you switch between option groups and there is a little lag so when you want to select Game>Exit, it has to scroll through the other categories before it gets to Game. Slightly annoying
-AI is pretty stupid. You can whistle to attract a guard, stab him, crowd of people runs away screaming but other guards don't react unless they actually saw you do the stabbing
-Some environments are difficult to navigate quietly because it is full of redneck NPCs but some are bad and some are neutral and difficult to tell them apart without always using your batman vision

Other:
-Before playing I read that you couldn't change key bindings but I was able to.
-Also read you had to break cover to switch but there is a shift cover mechanic, it just isn't very good
-Cars feel a little wonky but you just need to slow down before turns and control speed. I don't think any car will make tight turns at speed
-Shooting hit detection doesn't seem very tight
-Mouse sensitivity definitely needed tweaking in settings

Playing on PC maxed settings, without updating to latest nvidia drivers

Soarer fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 7, 2016

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Not gonna lie, this wasn't on my radar at all but watching Giantbomb play a couple of hours of it is making me want this game real bad, it looks pretty great.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Driving through the bayou with Sympathy for the Devil on the radio. I like where this game is going.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

incorporeal posted:

Well. Yeah. I can see that as defending 2k. But I'm not. I just don't think video games are worth being so upset about. Not worth any of this.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that this awful launch will significantly impact the PC launch window. I'm sure everyone that was interested will end up buying it eventually... But that's for $7.49 on a Steam sale rather than $50+ right now.

Also you never know how stupid publishers will be, they might blame it on the platform rather than themselves like the whole Arkham Knight/Mortal Kombat X debacle despite both of those series doing incredibly well on PC before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

man nurse posted:

Not gonna lie, this wasn't on my radar at all but watching Giantbomb play a couple of hours of it is making me want this game real bad, it looks pretty great.

Yep! I'd be pretty happy having another game like Sleeping Dogs. Doesn't have to be GTA tight in terms of graphical fidelity or a million side quests but if it's up to that level of story and fun I'll buy the hell out of it.

• Locked thread