Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Hail satan Lexmark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ya'll will get it back in 2 years after the dude burns it to the ground from lack of ...well everything.

Problem here is they'll inevitably have to reverse-engineer all his fuckups when it comes back around :(

Bigass Moth posted:

Can't wait until page 69 .

Can't wait to do a headstand for 58008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

To help with bringing in new posters we will be requiring everybody to vote a 5 on this thread. These votes will be voluntary and anonymous but we will check and those who don't vote will be ... fired reprimanded reviewed.

My vote is none of your concern :colbert:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
code:
(defun gently caress (if page 1001 "this gay earth"))

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nexxai posted:

Pretty sure you're UDP bud

You callin me unreliable?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Data Graham posted:

You're just not aware of the state of things, not your fault.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You're just not aware of the state of things, not your fault.

You know you shouldn't acknowledge.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Data Graham posted:

You hosed up by even responding.

Edit:
So did I, I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(dear god I wish that made sense)

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Happy page 3E800 >> 8 everybody!

Pft, everyone knows that each page number from now on is really ###.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

chyaroh posted:

Buffer overflow

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nexxai posted:

This didn't get near enough love.

e: well, it did because I'm too impatient to go to the next page.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 7, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Welcome to page 9.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

chyaroh posted:

You just need to widen the column a little to see the number.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
A company closure came in: looks like I'm on the market again.

drat it...I really liked this job.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

You just need to widen the column a little to see the number.

Now it says 1.001E3 :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Arsten posted:

Now it says 1.001E3 :v:

:argh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vibur posted:

Goondolences. :(

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A plane ticket re: certification came in:

Boss: I see the vendor is now offering a mastery certification for the platform you work on.
Me: Yeah, I looked at the curriculum and I honestly don't think I'd learn much from it. And they want to teach it in an onsite 3-day session. May not be the best use of our resources. I mean, if you want to spend company money for me to get a cert saying I really do know what I'm doing...
Boss: Sure, go get it.
Me: :stwoon:

Hello trip to Texas.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Project Manager checking in:

Due to IT delays we are announcing the arrival of page 1000 on 1001.

Edit: also:

27 years, two degrees (BS in information systems, MBA), 6 certs (MCSE, CNE (lol!), CCNP, CCDP, AWS CSA-A, AWS CSA-P)

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 7, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's a good boss. Even if you already know what they are training on, chances are they'll cover at least something you didn't run into. Worst case, you'll get an opportunity to talk with other users and get some exposure. And like you said, there is political value to being able to say "so and so knows it inside and out, he went to training, has the cert and everything."

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

nexxai posted:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I see someone has successfully used Excel in the past. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arsten posted:

I see someone has successfully used Excel in the past. :v:

(Formats every post as text)

There, problem solved.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

Hail satan Lexmark

Praise Alcohol!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

vibur posted:

I dodged out of ITT Tech corporate HQ a year and a half before everything imploded. When we were setting up all access accounts for states attorneys general for e-discovery, I knew it was time to gtfo, let alone all the pending lawsuits at the time.

I was getting texts from IT employees still there when they got their papers.

e: guess that nda is worthless now, haha

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 7, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

devmd01 posted:

e: guess that nda is worthless now, haha

so spill

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jaco
Aug 14, 2005
Due to a series of terrible business decisions, I'm currently in the process of handing over the largest and most complicated system the company (~1500 people) has to a single person who's more than a bit simple, refuses to read either my or the vendor's documentation, and doesn't want to learn it.

The system is very niche, so you can't just google your problems; and heavily customised, so the vendor is often not particularly useful.

I leave in a week, and there will then be no-one there who knows how it works.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Jaco posted:

Due to a series of terrible business decisions, I'm currently in the process of handing over the largest and most complicated system the company (~1500 people) has to a single person who's more than a bit simple, refuses to read either my or the vendor's documentation, and doesn't want to learn it.

The system is very niche, so you can't just google your problems; and heavily customised, so the vendor is often not particularly useful.

I see charging exorbitant consulting fees in your future.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

ponzicar posted:

Double your hourly. Then double it again. Then double that, for wiggle room in negotiations.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Jaco posted:

chaos reigns

Jaco
Aug 14, 2005

ponzicar posted:

Yes, indeed. And they'll probably be more than happy to pay them, funnily enough. We're in this situation because the tech boss comes from the AGILE DISRUPT SIMPLIFY school of web consulting business analysis, part of which appears to involve systematically reducing the technical skill and involvement of your staff and just outsourcing anything that looks remotely difficult. Which is fine, of course, but not necessarily always cheaper or better.

Greatbacon posted:

Double your hourly. Then double it again. Then double that, for wiggle room in negotiations.
That works out at roughly half what the vendor charges to look at anything, so not far off I'd say.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Jaco posted:

That works out at roughly half what the vendor charges to look at anything, so not far off I'd say.

Double that.

I'm serious. If it's heavily customized to the point where the vendor isn't able to assist, you have a valuable skill-set, and the familiarity with the environment to address things in a timely manner. Doubling the vendor price sends the message that you value your time, so they should too. It also gives you room to come down to "reasonable" (1.6x vendor) rates.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Jaco posted:

Your base hourly rate isn't high enough.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Double that.

I'm serious. If it's heavily customized to the point where the vendor isn't able to assist, you have a valuable skill-set, and the familiarity with the environment to address things in a timely manner. Doubling the vendor price sends the message that you value your time, so they should too. It also gives you room to come down to "reasonable" (1.6x vendor) rates.

This is the correct path.

EDIT: Also, establish an after-hours or rapid-response rate that is some multiplier of your normal rate for when they call you on a Saturday all :kingsley:

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 8, 2016

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

NeuralSpark posted:

EDIT: Also, establish an after-hours or rapid-response rate that is some multiplier of your normal rate for when they call you on a Saturday all :kingsley:

Listen to this guy. I'be been there before, and it's vital for your time off that you set weekend work at 3-4 times your normal rate. It's also vital that you add a 4x multiplier to "emergency work" with less than two business day's warning.

..I still remember that one time I pulled an month's worth of hours being called out with 30 minutes' warning to a FIX IT NOW kind of situation that wound up taking all weekend. I got heli-lifted from the local sports field near the summer house I had rented (on an island accessible only by ferry twice per day), worked all weekend and slept in a 4-star hotel nearby. The company didn't even blink when they received the bill for ~10 times the normal amount for 2½ days of work.

(for Danes, it was "that company" where you're required to wear a suit when you're there)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jaco posted:

Yes, indeed. And they'll probably be more than happy to pay them, funnily enough. We're in this situation because the tech boss comes from the AGILE DISRUPT SIMPLIFY school of web consulting business analysis, part of which appears to involve systematically reducing the technical skill and involvement of your staff and just outsourcing anything that looks remotely difficult. Which is fine, of course, but not necessarily always cheaper or better.

As a person who has been in this situation before, don't be afraid to go high. Its nothing personal.

And if you ever ask yourself "Should I buy a boat" the answer is always "Yes". Don't listen to your wife.

Jaco
Aug 14, 2005
It's not a holiday, I'm leaving permanently (I hope) for another job. :yotj:

The vendor charges $500/hour, or $3000/day. They're actually great and very efficient, if it's something they know about (it's a change to the standard architecture or an integration that they wrote, for example). If it's some of our own special snowflake stuff though, not so much. And there is a LOT of very peculiar poo poo going on in our environment.

There was a guy here before me, very productive, and quite insane. He hated commenting or documenting his code so much, he wrote a program to do it for him. That code was also uncommented and undocumented.
I've been trying to get rid of and document all his stuff for the last few years, but there's just not the time.

Place gonna burn, I guess.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Quick tip, if anyone asks you for documentation don't give it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
noticed something odd in the incoming queue

• Locked thread