Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you fancy trying to finish an 80 hour JRPG in 48 then, uh, Tales of Symphonia is free for this weekend on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Wasn't the PC release a complete mess? Did they fix it?

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 7, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bamco left it to swing but there's a fan patch that fixes everything but the 30 fps limit.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished wuppo. a great game made by just 2 ppl, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE GRINDING in Popocity, that needs a serious patch or some additions

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have added Freedom Force to my March! game play list. It seems it fits that category best.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Tried to get into Pathfinder once. I had never played any live RPGs before and it was a new group forming and we're all meeting for the first time. Long story short: the DM didn't know poo poo about anything and was basically recruiting a captive audience for his lame fantasy novel.

Highlights:
DM on rolling stats: "roll seven D20s and throw out the lowest number". No further instructions.
DM when asked how wizard opposition schools work: No coherent response, didn't seem familiar with term.
DM running combat: No grid present. Positioning/distances not accounted for or even acknowledged. Essentially rolling attack in a void.

Even with my limited experience consisting solely of Baldur's Gate rules I knew something was very wrong. Did not go back.
Yeah, that sounds 100% the DM just wanting you to experience their epic masterpiece instead of actually having fun.

I don't get why he chose Pathfinder for that, it's incredibly focused on character building and combat.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

I was really sad 4e never got some kinda computerized version where the rules and possible actions are laid out as nice buttons and the math is done for you. It seemed really well suited for that and it would have allowed people who have trouble with the rules to play with veterans without problem, as well as sped up combat considerably.

It's actually loving astounding that they never made a turn-based strategy RPG based on the ruleset.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I never played a live d&d game (I didn't know a group that was into that) but it was interesting to read that the first player characters ever created for the game in the 70's found their way into the official stories and even entire modules were created just to pose a threat to them. Also later their creators lost official rights to them because some company took over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's actually loving astounding that they never made a turn-based strategy RPG based on the ruleset.

It's not "astounding", it's well known the people in a position to greenlight this kinda thing really didn't like what 4e turned out to be (good) and wanted to move on asap. This is why a bunch of updates to the DnD app thingie were saved for the release of Next/5e. But it sure does suck.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

It's not "astounding", it's well known the people in a position to greenlight this kinda thing really didn't like what 4e turned out to be (good) and wanted to move on asap. This is why a bunch of updates to the DnD app thingie were saved for the release of Next/5e. But it sure does suck.

I mean yeah, I get it, it's just like... it's crazy to me that nobody in a position to set that kind of thing up realized what a gold mine it could be, if only because of how incredibly easy that game would be to develop. They could've straight up ported every single number from the books and it would've been a more balanced game than something like Dragon Age: Origins.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

It's actually because the D&D rights were trapped within the burning corpse of Atari during 4e's time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I played like 4 sessions of 2 different 3.5e campaigns and 4 sessions of 1 4e campaign and tbh I liked the 3.5e stuff more if only because there was less of a focus on the combat. 5he 4e one felt like it was just a really long dungeon crawl where I spent the time just waiting to attack.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I played like 4 sessions of 2 different 3.5e campaigns and 4 sessions of 1 4e campaign and tbh I liked the 3.5e stuff more if only because there was less of a focus on the combat. 5he 4e one felt like it was just a really long dungeon crawl where I spent the time just waiting to attack.

Both systems are just as focused on combat and dungeon crawling, 4e is just actually good at it so people tend to emphasize it more.

If you don't want a combat focused system, play something that isn't D&D.

A good group/gm can make anything great though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

3.5 is notoriously busted so people houserule out the stuff that's boring to them more readily. 4e doesn't incentivize this because nothing is broken.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I wish I was like rich and poo poo so I could have a weekly DnD game, but alas I am a poor and I have no friends/time so I just read the 2nd and 3rd edition rule books. They make good toilet/bed time reading.
Well, if the time thing ever changes, check something like Meetup.com and see if there is a local group meeting at any time, they're usually really looking for more people. Unless you're way past the burbs into the boonies there's likely something, though finding it can be a challenge

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Andrast posted:

Both systems are just as focused on combat and dungeon crawling, 4e is just actually good at it so people tend to emphasize it more.

Yeah a good GM can also balance out Pathfinder's & D&D's combat focus with real good non-combat situations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

Listening to The Adventure Zone is the first time I ever actually wanted to play a tabletop game because up until then all my exposure to it had been people arguing about balance and which edition is the best and then in TAZ it's all about telling jokes and having fun and the DM actually has cool adventures set up for you to do and the actual D&D rules and systems just exist to facilitate that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Listening to The Adventure Zone is the first time I ever actually wanted to play a tabletop game because up until then all my exposure to it had been people arguing about balance and which edition is the best and then in TAZ it's all about telling jokes and having fun and the DM actually has cool adventures set up for you to do and the actual D&D rules and systems just exist to facilitate that.

They also ignore like 90% of the rules (which is pretty much mandatory for a podcast using a rules-heavy system)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Last campaign I ran had a player decide he hated dice rolling and pressed me to come up with some other way to run combat encounters. :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A group of me and my school friends decided to try playing ShadowRun many years ago, someone decided that rolling dice was just too simple so he wrote a d6 RNG on his PC, and I swear that thing was cheating us the whole time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now I'm remembering one of the great grognards.txt posts in trad games that involved a guy trying to prove dice were "more likely" to land on certain numbers by rolling them himself like 20 times.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one campaign i had to constantly remind the other players there was a wall between what they wanted to move to or attack and eventually my character got a +10 check on whether walls were real or not. that's my d&d story

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tabletop rpgs sound like a nightmare

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Tabletop rpgs sound like a nightmare

They are really fun

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Andrast posted:

They are really fun

With the right people.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played an Alternity campaign with my best friend for about two years. It was just he as the DM and me as the main character. It was the most fun I've ever had playing table top games and I love them to bits. We used to play at school, over ICQ and small snatches in between. It was definitely an epic tale of his, but luckily he was very good at thinking on the fly and making it fun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Goat posted:

With the right people.

Which is like a caveat to any/all multiplayer game experiences. Assholes and morons can ruin any multiplayer game, especially tabletop/in-person ones, and even the worst games can be salvaged by fun friends and good beers.

Everybody should play D&D at least once.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Which is like a caveat to any/all multiplayer game experiences. Assholes and morons can ruin any multiplayer game, especially tabletop/in-person ones, and even the worst games can be salvaged by fun friends and good beers.

Tabletop games, especially D&D, tend to have a higher concentration of assholes than other things though.

Also, I wish people would stop equating tabletop roleplaying with D&D.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

I don't think the problem was that the systems are combat focused. I don't mind the combat. I just think the dm in the 4e case vastly overestimated how well we'd handle the combat encounters because they ended up turning into a tedious slog of just sitting around not really being able to do anything, while the 3.5e combat was easy enough that we could sorta blast through it at a reasonable pace and get to explore other stuff too

The worst was when I played shadowrun and I had never played it before and there were 3 other people playing and we had to wait until everybody was ready to go on a run, except the gm was like "look there's no way you're gonna find a 100% fail-proof way to do this run, it's too risky, you're gonna end up in some kind of combat somewhere along the way at some point" and the next 3 or so sessions (each session being around 2 hours each) were spent with me and 1 of the other players doing nothing but saying "our characters are at their day jobs" while the other two players kept trying to figure out a surefire 100% safe way to do the run

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 7, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

CJacobs posted:

As a big fan of pink eye, I agree

posts like this are why i read these forums.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Also, I wish people would stop equating tabletop roleplaying with D&D.

This. I love tabletop role playing and do ot care for D&D at all. I end up playing it because I've never met anyone who actually played anything else.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ehh. I disagree, I think everybody should try a pen and paper game at least once, not specially D&D.

Like Fiasco is going to be great with my artsy creative friends but they may hate the mechanical stuff in D&D that my "gamer" type friends can play with as they try to get into the hang of roleplaying.

People who heavily lean on one side of the spectrum there probably won't be interested in Everbody Is John because it doesn't give either group much to chew on but is way more accessible to those in the middle.

Roleplaying games are rapidly evolving in cool ways, which is near because it's only going to bring in more people. And now we have stuff like mega games with watch the skies, or room escapes (which you can pretty much argue are real life d&d modules, just without monsters and traps that can kill you)

Games are just in a good place generally.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Modern D&D is for casual scrubs, I'm all about Pathfinder these days.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mordja posted:

Modern D&D is for casual scrubs, I'm all about Pathfinder these days.

Ah yes, DnD for people who don't like good games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd say all war gaming with rules newer than those from 1876 are for scrubs. General Julius von Verdy du Vernois's Free Kriegsspiel module FTW :smugwizard:.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Ah yes, DnD for people who don't like good games.

DnD is already for people who don' t like good games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mutata posted:

VR is pretty fun and neat.

Maybe but the setup GiantBomb proved that either their setup was broken or the hardware itself was broken so maybe don't preorder it to find out which one it is. Dunno if they had trouble with the other systems at first or not.

Sakurazuka posted:

Bamco left it to swing but there's a fan patch that fixes everything but the 30 fps limit.

I checked after the comment I made on it yesterday and they've been patching it, just really slowly. Though the last one came out late in September and supposedly was still fixing stuff that got fanpatched the month it came out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

DnD is already for people who don' t like good games.

Skill Challenge: Win Internet Argument
A nerd is arguing with you on the internet. Since you are also a nerd, you must respond in kind.
Setup: To win this argument, the PC must either convince the NPC of his position, make him look foolish before his peers, or make him quit the debate in disgust, thereby winning by default.
Level: Equal to the level of the party.
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 4 failures)
Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight, Endurance.

What do you do?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Skill Challenge: Win Internet Argument
A nerd is arguing with you on the internet. Since you are also a nerd, you must respond in kind.
Setup: To win this argument, the PC must either convince the NPC of his position, make him look foolish before his peers, or make him quit the debate in disgust, thereby winning by default.
Level: Equal to the level of the party.
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 4 failures)
Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight, Endurance.

What do you do?

I fly into a rage, making insane threats. I claim that people like him are what's wrong with society and make threats of violence and wish terrible woes upon him. Hopefully the police will come to my house. (I don't think I have any relevant skills.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

User Steam reviews for Mafia III are claiming the game is locked at 30fps.

• Locked thread