Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Weed legalisation is just a stepping stone to full acceptance of oral and injectable steroids

We actually pretty much had that for decades, then baseball purists got all uppity that people were juicing and crushing dingers instead of eating 30 dexies a day and crushing hit streaks

We already assume and tolerate AAS abuse in this country. It's American as gently caress. You just do it on your way up when nobody tests and you get cut if you don't, and scale it back when you're getting paid and tested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

John Cena probably does have what it takes to be a successful politician though I have no idea what his personal politics are like.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

He came out against Trump I think

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He was photographed meeting with Romney, but I couldn't tell you whether he supported him or was just doing the normal celebrity photo thing? gently caress, I couldn't be certain which of them asked to be photographed with the other.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

We actually pretty much had that for decades, then baseball purists got all uppity that people were juicing and crushing dingers instead of eating 30 dexies a day and crushing hit streaks

We already assume and tolerate AAS abuse in this country. It's American as gently caress. You just do it on your way up when nobody tests and you get cut if you don't, and scale it back when you're getting paid and tested

Oh yeah I know. It's fascinating when Arnold talks about the golden days of bodybuilding when theyd just eat handfuls of whatever the gently caress with no regard for the consequences.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

John Cena probably does have what it takes to be a successful politician though I have no idea what his personal politics are like.

Pretty liberal I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

Reminder that the only flaw in Clinton's debate seemed to be "over-preparedness".
She does have more flaws than that, they are just overshadowed by the terrible performance by Trump.

Hillary is not very good at conveying complex thoughts into words in the moment, and so relies a lot on rehearsed phrasing. It is obvious to everyone, which is what I think everyone meant by her being "over-prepared". And she is not good at reading the room to know that something like trumped-up trickle-down wouldn't stick, especially with her bad delivery. And even if she was cognizant that something probably won't work, I don't think she'd stray from the script anyway, because a poor delivery of a bad new catchphrase is better than stammering and pausing from trying to figure out what to say (Obama was the opposite - very good at thinking up something novel to say that perfectly fit the situation, but often had several seconds of awkward umm's and uh's before he could blurt it out).

I don't mean that she should avoid rehearsed lines entirely. It was clear she had that Alicia Machado thing in her bag, waiting to be pulled out, and it went off perfectly.

But the ability to adapt what she's saying on the fly is a definite weakness of hers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The daughter of undocumented workers is trying to get a question into the debate. Just shouting it out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hardball question: how do I get a job?

Answer:
http://wapo.st/2dOExWK

The room is hot.

You don't talk about manufacturing to someone who supposedly graduated magna cum laude in chemistry. Also, that first part was something from a bad improv comic.

Also, :ironicat: talking about making Apple make iPhone in the U.S. instead of China and Vietnam when he's president when he can't bother to get his own brand to have products made in the U.S.A.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

remusclaw posted:

He was photographed meeting with Romney, but I couldn't tell you whether he supported him or was just doing the normal celebrity photo thing? gently caress, I couldn't be certain which of them asked to be photographed with the other.

Cena is from Massachusetts so I would assume just a photo thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hardball question: how do I get a job?

Answer:
http://wapo.st/2dOExWK

The room is hot.

Does Donald Trump think chemistry degrees are required for a manufacturing position?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Covok posted:

Does Donald Trump think chemistry degrees are required for a manufacturing position?
He missed a great chance to tell the kid maybe he should've gone into a real STEM field, like finance

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

And she is not good at reading the room to know that something like trumped-up trickle-down wouldn't stick, especially with her bad delivery.
My reading of "trumped-up trickle-down" was it was less for the audience and more to unsettle Trump, given she was being careful to only call him Donald throughout the debate.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anything fun happen today/yesterday? I've been swamped with work

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Magres posted:

Anything fun happen today/yesterday? I've been swamped with work

After like an hour of debate prep Trump was like "Hillary's not prepping three days in a row, she's probably recuperating right now, we should just relax"

Stein is still trailing Harambe in most polls

Trump's twitter is spamming literally any poll that has his number higher than Clinton's, laying the groundwork for accusations of a rigged election and then the glorious trumpvolution

Covok
May 27, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

After like an hour of debate prep Trump was like "Hillary's not prepping three days in a row, she's probably recuperating right now, we should just relax"

Stein is still trailing Harambe in most polls

Trump's twitter is spamming literally any poll that has his number higher than Clinton's, laying the groundwork for accusations of a rigged election and then the glorious trumpvolution

Half an hour, not a full hour.

If Trump tries a civil war, it'd last 4-5 hours. Not a single state governmemt supports him and no matter how armed his supporters are they can't beat the American army.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Assuming for a moment that the Democrats take the Senate, what are the chances that some Democratic Senators will break ranks? Like, will there be a Lieberman expy that's going to gently caress over Clinton on a Supreme Court nomination?

2. If the Senate is a 50/50 split (with ties broken by Kaine), who becomes "Majority Leader"?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So we have a little over an hour left before we get the final jobs report before the election. Almost there!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

She does have more flaws than that, they are just overshadowed by the terrible performance by Trump.

Hillary is not very good at conveying complex thoughts into words in the moment, and so relies a lot on rehearsed phrasing. It is obvious to everyone, which is what I think everyone meant by her being "over-prepared". And she is not good at reading the room to know that something like trumped-up trickle-down wouldn't stick, especially with her bad delivery. And even if she was cognizant that something probably won't work, I don't think she'd stray from the script anyway, because a poor delivery of a bad new catchphrase is better than stammering and pausing from trying to figure out what to say (Obama was the opposite - very good at thinking up something novel to say that perfectly fit the situation, but often had several seconds of awkward umm's and uh's before he could blurt it out).

I don't mean that she should avoid rehearsed lines entirely. It was clear she had that Alicia Machado thing in her bag, waiting to be pulled out, and it went off perfectly.

But the ability to adapt what she's saying on the fly is a definite weakness of hers.

Yeah I guess you're right.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Assuming for a moment that the Democrats take the Senate, what are the chances that some Democratic Senators will break ranks? Like, will there be a Lieberman expy that's going to gently caress over Clinton on a Supreme Court nomination?

2. If the Senate is a 50/50 split (with ties broken by Kaine), who becomes "Majority Leader"?

3) If the Dems take the Senate, either by majority or tie-broken by Kaine, does Mitch McConnell resign for getting the Senate Republicans in this mess?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Covok posted:

If Trump tries a civil war, it'd last 4-5 hours. Not a single state governmemt supports him and no matter how armed his supporters are they can't beat the American army.

Nah, there's not going to be an uprising fueled by Pepes and rascal scooters. Maybe they'll just make an angry secession petition on whitehouse.gov like last time.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
538 went from a very likely +4 dem flip on the senate to a +1. What the hell happened?! how can Trump not be dragging the ticket down? :ohdear:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Covok posted:

If Trump tries a civil war, it'd last 4-5 hours. Not a single state government supports him and no matter how armed his supporters are they can't beat the American army.

I don't know if he's rational enough to care or even realize this. What you would have would be a rash of mostly crazy people with guns for a few months or in small cases have small bands of previously organized people committing acts of terrorism.

I'd give it three months before poo poo finally calms down.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Spiffster posted:

538 went from a very likely +4 dem flip on the senate to a +1. What the hell happened?! how can Trump not be dragging the ticket down? :ohdear:

I guess what happens is that those undecided voters start to realize that Trump doesn't have a good chance and is not a good candidate anyway. So they want the Republicans to keep the senate to limit Clinton from grabbing to much power.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Blue dog Democrats almost all lost their seats in 2010 and 2014. Any state or district that is conservative enough to vote for a blue dog Democrat is conservative enough to just vote Republican. Democrats have also been witness to the unified wall of Republican obstructionism of the past few years, so they know what game is being played now, unlike in 2009. So the Democrats should be able to pull off party unity votes more reliably than they used to.

2. I'm pretty sure that committee assignments are handled by vote early in the first day or two of the Senate session, so 50+Kaine should be sufficient to give Democrats the committee chairmanships and the majority leader.

Young Freud posted:

3) If the Dems take the Senate, either by majority or tie-broken by Kaine, does Mitch McConnell resign for getting the Senate Republicans in this mess?
Why would McConnell take any responsibility when everyone will be blaming Trump?

I think the best part of this whole election season will be seeing Trump's followers turn on him after he loses. I don't think he knows it's coming. He thinks they will keep following him to some new media network or whatever, when the reality is that he will be shunned and ridiculed mercilessly. And he will not take it well. The downfall will be beautiful.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Spiffster posted:

Looking at the polls, I'd say the recent Ohio poll showing the Republican candidate ahead by a whopping 15 points would do it.

I'm an idiot who can't read.

I don't actually know the answer to this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Why would McConnell take any responsibility when everyone will be blaming Trump?

Good point. I was thinking that McConnell's obstructionism in regards to Supreme Court et al. would have cost him his job, much like Newt Gingrich resigning following the 1998 Congressional midterms.

I think the best part of this whole election season will be seeing Trump's followers turn on him after he loses. I don't think he knows it's coming. He thinks they will keep following him to some new media network or whatever, when the reality is that he will be shunned and ridiculed mercilessly. And he will not take it well. The downfall will be beautiful.

Yeah, that's why I don't he'll live out 2017. Combined with his age, health and an uncertain future now that his precious brand is ruined and repercussions from all this exposure into his business, his ego rapidly deflating from all this may actually be of lethal proportions. He basically bet it all and lost and those who invested in this mess are going to be looking for answers that he can't give. Considering that people have been suggesting that he might be in the opening stages of Alzheimer's like his father while he's campaigning, his fall post-election is going to happen super-quick.

I'm at least thinking that we will stop hearing from his Twitter feed by the end of the year when he loses. I don't think he'll be around even as a novelty Twitter like the Iron Sheik.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this article makes me fully erect

Covok posted:

I dunno an army riding in on electric scooters would be pretty terrifying, I think we should just loving give up and beg for mercy.

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 7, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come pence won the debate when he constantly lied about easily verifiable things.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come pence won the debate when he constantly lied about easily verifiable things.

Optics!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groovelord Neato posted:

He kinda didn't, regardless of what they say. It doesn't seem to have helped Trump any and that's really the only metric that matters.

Also, LA Times is back to only Trump+3. A one point shift must mean the one guy hasn't changed his mind yet, lol.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just meant why would the political media say it. he quite obviously lost.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Now, if I may whip out that mexican thing again

Current Latino vote prediction: 82 C, 15 T, 3 Other.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

(I have no idea who these people are, I just stole this image from somewhere else)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because the moderator didn't bother to fact check obviously false statements.

But I don't think Pence really won. He looked and sounded better to people who didn't know better, but the Clinton campaign got great soundbites from the debate. I think it's a wash.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Uranium 235 posted:

(I have no idea who these people are, I just stole this image from somewhere else)

If the mentally ill weren't allowed vote Trump would be polling at 0%

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Pence won the debate and lost the election (even harder than they already were).

It would be a decent springboard for his 2020 election bid if he wasn't going to be steeped in the stench of Trump.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also, this is a great poll:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/784373577566990336

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 7, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So, basically they have no idea what they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Geostomp posted:

So, basically they have no idea what they want.

Sure thing, but Trump coming up behind most of the candidates (beating only Tom Cotton) must sting a bit.

• Locked thread