Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Assuming for a moment that the Democrats take the Senate, what are the chances that some Democratic Senators will break ranks? Like, will there be a Lieberman expy that's going to gently caress over Clinton on a Supreme Court nomination?

If Garland ever makes it to a floor vote he will pass with a bunch of Republican support. He was confirmed 99-0 when Obama appointed him to the federal district court. That's why McConnell won't let hearings or a vote happen.

If dems take the Senate, McConnell can no longer bottle up his hearings in the judicial committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does NPR have some mandate that ever morning they have to play a new undecided voter leaning Trump in a swing state to piss me off? The one this morning was infuriating.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CNN is saying that Matthew is down to Category 3. Is it turning out to be less destructive than people feared? I hope so.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

lozzle posted:

Pence won the debate and lost the election (even harder than they already were).

It would be a decent springboard for his 2020 election bid if he wasn't going to be steeped in the stench of Trump.

He's also a creepy weirdo with no charisma and hyper conservative positions. He's like a less charismatic Ted Cruz. It ain't happening for him.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also, I don't think Trump or the pepes will quote Rasmussen today:

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/784372640756686848

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

(I have no idea who these people are, I just stole this image from somewhere else)

As long as they are mental competent, anyone living in an assisted living facility or with a mental disability can vote. That's a right that can be guaranteed as long as you're not mentally incompetent or incapacitated by the state.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Uranium 235 posted:

(I have no idea who these people are, I just stole this image from somewhere else)

Let's ban old white people in nursing homes from voting via absentee ballots. Obviously that's fraud and we can't let those fuckers steal our election.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Young Freud posted:

As long as they are mental competent, anyone living in an assisted living facility or with a mental disability can vote. That's a right that can be guaranteed as long as you're not mentally incompetent or incapacitated by the state.

The original post is implying that Clinton forced or tricked them into voting only for her.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

KiteAuraan posted:

Let's ban old white people in nursing homes from voting via absentee ballots. Obviously that's fraud and we can't let those fuckers steal our election.

Then vote for them when they die.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

If Garland ever makes it to a floor vote he will pass with a bunch of Republican support. He was confirmed 99-0 when Obama appointed him to the federal district court. That's why McConnell won't let hearings or a vote happen.

If dems take the Senate, McConnell can no longer bottle up his hearings in the judicial committee.

Obama shouldn't actually want to install somebody as old and as moderate as Garland, and, I imagine, only pushed that nomination to make the Republicans look unreasonable.

If the Democrats take the Senate, what's to stop President Rodham from retracting that nomination and pushing somebody younger and more liberal instead?
Hell, in the event of Democratic election victories, McConnell might suddenly allow hearings on Garland in order to get him confirmed before the new senate is convened, just for this reason. Better an elderly centrist than a liberal who'll sit on the court for forty years, from the Republican POV

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 7, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I missed like two days of this thread and there's 2000 new posts. Anything actually important happen in the race or is everybody too focused on the hurricane to care?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Geostomp posted:

So, basically they have no idea what they want.

no matter how many times Republicans try to spin it as "a wealth of talent" having a dozen almost identical candidates fighting over scraps for the nomination will never be a good thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This looks like a cool alternative to Silver Tower.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/6/mutant-chronicles-siege-of-the-citadel/

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PupsOfWar posted:

Obama shouldn't actually want to install somebody as old and as moderate as Garland, and, I imagine, only pushed that nomination to make the Republicans look unreasonable.

If the Democrats take the Senate, what's to stop President Rodham from retracting that nomination and pushing somebody younger and more liberal instead?
Hell, in the event of Democratic election victories, McConnell might suddenly allow hearings on Garland in order to get him confirmed before the new senate is convened, just for this reason. Better an elderly centrist than a liberal who'll sit on the court for forty years, from the Republican POV

No, it's not likely the president is going to yank the nomination of a respected jurist after asking him to serve as a political flash-point for a year.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

vyelkin posted:

I missed like two days of this thread and there's 2000 new posts. Anything actually important happen in the race or is everybody too focused on the hurricane to care?

Trump only did 30 minutes of what was supposed to be a 90-minute practice town hall. He then said something about how there's no way HRC has been prepping for three days; she has to be resting. I think he honestly believes that he has tremendous stamina, so it's not possible that Feeble Illary Clinton could be repeatedly doing something that tuckered him out so thoroughly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trilas posted:

Trump only did 30 minutes of what was supposed to be a 90-minute practice town hall. He then said something about how there's no way HRC has been prepping for three days; she has to be resting. I think he honestly believes that he has tremendous stamina, so it's not possible that Feeble Illary Clinton could be repeatedly doing something that tuckered him out so thoroughly.

There's this part of me that always goes 'This absolutely has to be a trap, doesn't it? He can't be THAT lazy and stupid.'

Except it's never been and he really is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't wait for the first tell-all book to come out of this disaster of a campaign, the quotes we will see

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't the RNC mostly thrown together at the last minute from whatever Z-Listers he could pull in because he put it off so much, too?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't the RNC mostly thrown together at the last minute from whatever Z-Listers he could pull in because he put it off so much, too?

Yes, the most obvious of which was the pyramid scam lady from suburban Florida who was so loving bad at speaking it looped around to being a great speech to watch because this idiot kept bumbling it.

https://youtu.be/vFZ4e1fWIkA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Carlosologist posted:

I can't wait for the first tell-all book to come out of this disaster of a campaign, the quotes we will see

It's just going to be compilation of all the tweets posted in all of the USPOL threads leading up to November.

Seriously though, I actually find it fascinating the idea of writing a "history book" on contemporary events because the sheer amount of stuff that you have literally documented, as long as you're willing to dig that all up. Like, what would Robert Caro do with all of Sopan Deb's transcripts? Just the primaries would be a trilogy of thousand-page tomes.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The first debate was like Rocky 3 when Micky was begging Rocky to train for the fight against Mr. T and he refused to do it. And then he gets his head caved in.

Except instead of finding his eye of the tiger for the second fight, he's convinced he won the fight on points and refuses to train for the second fight.

Trump's done.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Troll Nate is best Nate.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/784382571568181249

It's in response to:

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/784355810788847616

Spicer: Please get your facts straight. The piece shows a basic lack of understanding of how the field operation works

Nate: Our field operation isn't in a computer, and doesn't involve having money, people, data, or field offices. It's in our hearts.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Inferior Third Season posted:

She does have more flaws than that, they are just overshadowed by the terrible performance by Trump.

Hillary is not very good at conveying complex thoughts into words in the moment, and so relies a lot on rehearsed phrasing. It is obvious to everyone, which is what I think everyone meant by her being "over-prepared". And she is not good at reading the room to know that something like trumped-up trickle-down wouldn't stick, especially with her bad delivery. And even if she was cognizant that something probably won't work, I don't think she'd stray from the script anyway, because a poor delivery of a bad new catchphrase is better than stammering and pausing from trying to figure out what to say (Obama was the opposite - very good at thinking up something novel to say that perfectly fit the situation, but often had several seconds of awkward umm's and uh's before he could blurt it out).

I was surprised to learn Keepin' It 1600 supposedly has a big role in shaping narratives but if it does, please Clinton people listen to them when they say that you should get rid of the canned lines.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/politico/status/784341510204624896

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

That's an impressive mark to hit for Trump.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump is going to do better in a town hall format. Part of the reason for that is that he can't go much lower than he did before, but also the format really does play to his strengths and Hillary's weaknesses.

- None of the audience members are going to be asking questions about GDP growth rates, specific foreign policy info, or criminal justice stats.
- None of them are allowed to ask follow-up questions.
- They are "undecided voters" from Missouri. Probably disproportionately terrible people.
- Hillary doesn't do personal connections or braggadocio well.

I just don't see how he could do worse than he did in the first debate.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Night10194 posted:

No, it's not likely the president is going to yank the nomination of a respected jurist after asking him to serve as a political flash-point for a year.

Obama made the nomination. Why should Clinton feel any sense of obligation over it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even his losses are yuuuuuge.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

See? He doesn't lie all the time.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CascadeBeta posted:

The first debate was like Rocky 3 when Micky was begging Rocky to train for the fight against Mr. T and he refused to do it. And then he gets his head caved in.

Except instead of finding his eye of the tiger for the second fight, he's convinced he won the fight on points and refuses to train for the second fight.

Trump's done.

Trump needs a montage right now, possibly interspersed with shots of the hurricane destroying things

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

FAUXTON posted:

Yes, the most obvious of which was the pyramid scam lady from suburban Florida who was so loving bad at speaking it looped around to being a great speech to watch because this idiot kept bumbling it.

https://youtu.be/vFZ4e1fWIkA

How did I miss this at the time. She is literally wearing a small cape.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump is going to do better in a town hall format. Part of the reason for that is that he can't go much lower than he did before, but also the format really does play to his strengths and Hillary's weaknesses.

- None of the audience members are going to be asking questions about GDP growth rates, specific foreign policy info, or criminal justice stats.
- They are "undecided voters" from Missouri. Probably disproportionately terrible people.

And people were expecting him to defy expectations in the first debate. He didn't need follow up questions to look completely unknowledgable about basic political topics. Trump completely flounders if people aren't cheering him and accepting what he says with no critical analysis.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Something tells me he isn't going to lose 100 billion dollars because of his fuckup.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Never underestimate Trump's ability to shatter previously uncrossable lines of depravity.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hahaha, are you kidding? Watch him correct or attack a question asker, particularly if they're a woman or minority.

She actually does personal connection extremely well, one on one, and I'm getting sick of this narrative being spun about her.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

He answered a question about "how do I get a job" with "This room is hot, I'm sweating, I was sweating at a Colorado rally and crooked media pounced on me, my rallies have the best attendance".

The above is not dramatized at all.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

You were also really confident that he was going to win the first debate, so I'm not too interested in what you have to say, friend.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PupsOfWar posted:

He was on Obama's short list for the first two openings, Obama's fine with him. Also, maybe Obama did have someone younger that he approached and they said no because they didn't want to be in limbo for a year and be used as a political football?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

counterpoint: he did 30 minutes of what was supposed to be a 90 minute practice town hall

he couldn't even go 90 minutes when the crowd was asking him 'please tell us how great you are?" and the moderator was giving him all the time he wanted, and also there was no opponent in his practice town hall. and he could still only manage 30 minutes before he got bored and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Once again for Trump to do well he has to not be Trump which he is incapable of doing. His prep this time was a thirty minute practice session with a totally rear end kissing moderator that enforced no rules with a dozen or so questions, half of which were pure right wing red meat. He's once again totally unprepared and at his core knows nothing about anything. Unless somehow they just let all the people ask dumbfuck questions about Benghazi and emails to Hillary while asking Trump why he's so correct and awesome there's no way he gets out of this without being mediocre at best. The media seems to have given up on the "Trump is totally going to look Presidential this time" narrative so he really has to either knock it out of the park or have Hillary gently caress up to beat that. He's also apparently underestimating Clinton AGAIN which is exactly the opposite of what should be happening where he got stomped last time and needs to really fight hard to come back against a tougher opponent.

Even if the media wants to pretend Trump not making GBS threads himself is "presidential" this will be watched by everyone and people can see him for what he is again without a bunch of idiot pundits trying to tell us our eyes and ears are lying.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 7, 2016

• Locked thread