Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

myron cope posted:

I got a work phone the other day and it's an iPhone SE and holy poo poo how can anyone use a phone that small. Granted I am coming from a Nexus 6 so the size difference is even more pronounced but it just feels like a child's toy.

Still a fairly nice phone, but so tiny.

(I get that some people want smaller phones and that's fine but the SE size is crazy)

I miss my iPhone 5 and that sized phone being a Thing like you wouldn't believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

minimal OS fuckery

Really? Not having Android or updates from Google counts as minimal fuckery these days?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe there. Not in the US.

How long do you reckon itd take

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

First stuff about Nokia's Android phones are cropping up, I'm holding the impossible hope they somehow move into the vacant position of good reliable well-updated workhorse android phones now they've shaken off the Microsoft tether.

Their hardware was always great, all they need to do is keep going with that, not gently caress with the OS and support well.

Of course, it's only kinda-Nokia making these, but we'll see.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Looks to be a budget phone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ragingsheep posted:

Looks to be a budget phone.

It'd be nice to have an alternative to the Moto G now that Motorola's gone all untrustworthy. Dad got a Moto G v3 and the value for money on that thing was insane.

If not, at least it might let them sort their poo poo out before they launch a premiere phone.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 7, 2016

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really? Not having Android or updates from Google counts as minimal fuckery these days?

Well stock Android would be no fuckery and all the reviews I've read say oxygenOS is pretty close to stock. I've had a nexus 5 for the last few years so I don't know how much the other companies are messing with the OS.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It's the most stock Android I've used. It even has minimal gapps and not the full suite usually seen with Nexus phones. Only extra I think is swiftkey keyboard.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I have to re-emphasize just how good the Axon 7 is for $400. Really drat good phone FWIW

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

I have to re-emphasize just how good the Axon 7 is for $400. Really drat good phone FWIW

Can you elaborate more on your experience? I'm debating between it and the OP3 right now. Do you have any issues with the build quality at all? I'm currently thinking of waiting for any major updates to either phones to see what may be a tie-breaker for me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'd love to hear a little more about it as well. On paper the Axon 7 is more appealing than my 6P right now, and I can get it with no interest financing for 12 months through Best Buy.

Only thing the OP3 has over it is the headphone jack on the bottom. Why don't more manufacturers do this?

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 7, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/784389016682688513

:laffo: :rip: Verizon pixel buyers

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Have you bothered even reading the half page discussion we already had on this?

Anyone who buys a device at a carrier store when there's alternatives available gets what they deserve.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Anyone who buys a device at a carrier store when there's alternatives available gets what they deserve.

Which half page are you talking about because the last full page or so has been discussion of cheapo phones.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

GF ordered a Note 7 through AT&T in August, and just 2 days before it was supposed to ship, the recall stuff went down. The shipping date got pushed back to October 2-7. Today she got an email that the order has been cancelled because it's no longer available.

:melter:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I really take issue with this kind of sentiment. "What they deserve" is to be treated the same no matter where they bought it. Customers shouldn't need to read tech blogs as research before buying a phone. They should treat it the same or point it out in the commercials.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LifeSizePotato posted:

GF ordered a Note 7 through AT&T in August, and just 2 days before it was supposed to ship, the recall stuff went down. The shipping date got pushed back to October 2-7. Today she got an email that the order has been cancelled because it's no longer available.

Are you.... complaining? They're are not sending her an explodey phone. That seems like a good thing. She should be buying something else anyway.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Are you.... complaining? They're are not sending her an explodey phone. That seems like a good thing. She should be buying something else anyway.

Just annoyed to have waited so long on what we thought would be a fixed v2.0 phone. Also because there isn't anything available immediately that will make up for it, since the V20 and Pixels still have a couple weeks to go. Even OP3s have a 3-week wait.

Plus, I wonder if it's a sign that Note 7s are getting entirely withdrawn from AT&T now.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 7, 2016

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Which of you posted this on SamMobile? Specifically the middle part.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 7, 2016

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When phone posting please remember that your phone's resolution still exceeds most desktop resolutions and thumb screenshots, please.

But it's not from SA, they said velcro, not grip tape.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
My mistake

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I'm thinking about getting the Lenovo Phab 2 Tango phone when it comes out next month. It's actually big enough (6.4"!), has cool technology I want to play with, a huge battery, and it'll be $499. But... Lenovo. Anyone know what to expect for how stock Android it will be, and how supported?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Having a legitimate competitor in the market that supports their hardware for longer will force Qualcomm to do the same in order to keep customers.
Too bad NVidia are a bunch of retards.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

iamsosmrt posted:

Can you elaborate more on your experience? I'm debating between it and the OP3 right now. Do you have any issues with the build quality at all? I'm currently thinking of waiting for any major updates to either phones to see what may be a tie-breaker for me.

sirbeefalot posted:

I'd love to hear a little more about it as well. On paper the Axon 7 is more appealing than my 6P right now, and I can get it with no interest financing for 12 months through Best Buy.

FOnly thing the OP3 has over it is the headphone jack on the bottom. Why don't more manufacturers do this?

No build quality issues at all for me.

64gb AND expandable storage.

Great battery life, fantastic screen, best phone speakers I've ever heard, great headphone DAC for those who care.

One of few Daydream certified phones for what it's worth (it does NOT Have nougat yet though). Google cardboard experience is great.

Re: headphone placement, I guess I prefer it on the top but not really thought about it.

The nexus 6p takes about a million times better night shots. The Axon 7 takes the best daytime shots of any phone I've had and processes Hdr basically instantly (hated how slow my nexus 6 was in this).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad NVidia are a bunch of retards.

sorry about AMD/ATI being trash looooooool owned

In all seriousness, Nvidia are a flock of drat fools even if they're the prohibitive market leader with vidja cards. You'd think they would just crank out well-made, high-performance mobile devices if they wanted to but instead they crap out the Nvidia shield which is :laffo:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FAUXTON posted:

In all seriousness, Nvidia are a flock of drat fools even if they're the prohibitive market leader with vidja cards. You'd think they would just crank out well-made, high-performance mobile devices if they wanted to but instead they crap out the Nvidia shield which is :laffo:

To be fair, nVidia can't really go any smaller than that, because the battery life would be shorter than a Sega Nomad, otherwise.

Because it has SO MUCH POWER IN THESE HERE GRAPHICS. :awesomelon:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

LifeSizePotato posted:

AT&T and Sprint issued a voluntary exchange program for the replacement Note 7s after the one exploded on the airplane. Could be an abundance of caution or it could be that Samsung is doing what they did last time and privately telling carriers about what they know about the issue while they trying and figure out how to handle a massive PR disaster that has become a catastrophic one.

Like maybe there is more to the battery issue that they told the carriers but not the public, like it was actually say a combination issue with the power management system and the battery but their testing showed it could be completely mitigated by just replacing out of spec batteries.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

LifeSizePotato posted:

Verizon shipped me my replacement Note 7 on Thursday. My carrier wants me dead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FAUXTON posted:

Which half page are you talking about because the last full page or so has been discussion of cheapo phones.

It was only two pages ago.

RZA Encryption posted:

I really take issue with this kind of sentiment. "What they deserve" is to be treated the same no matter where they bought it. Customers shouldn't need to read tech blogs as research before buying a phone. They should treat it the same or point it out in the commercials.

Actually, since the commercials have all been saying "only from Verizon" with no mention of the play store, one could easily argue the advertised state of the device is one of Verizon interference.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm with you all the way on this. I can't think of another piece of electronics that operates this way and I'm glad because it's a loving terrible way to handle things. Can you imagine if the Windows updates you got depended on if you bought it from Walmart vs Best Buy? Consumers would riot but with phones since it's been that way (with Android at least) for so long there's this weird stockholm syndrome going on where those that are aware of the issue pat themselves on the back for being smart and in the know since they can work around it. I really hope this issue is high on the priority list of "things-to-unfuck" with Android phones but from the Pixel thing it doesn't look like it's the case.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When the hell am I going to get Nougat on my Nexus 6? I thought N came out months ago.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

When the hell am I going to get Nougat on my Nexus 6? I thought N came out months ago.
It's rolling out to the N6 as of a few days ago so most likely within the next week or sooner if you want to flash the OTA yourself.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mu Zeta posted:

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/ota

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

My mom just got the update to N today on her N6 in Canada so it's definitely rolling out to non-US locations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Am I crazy in not particularly caring that much about the whole Verizon Pixel update thing? If Google does the legwork in developing updates for the phones for the next two years as they've said they would, I'd expect Verizon to eventually roll those out.
Also I'd be curious to see if that bootloader does end up getting unlocked by XDA eventually.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

No build quality issues at all for me.

64gb AND expandable storage.

Great battery life, fantastic screen, best phone speakers I've ever heard, great headphone DAC for those who care.

One of few Daydream certified phones for what it's worth (it does NOT Have nougat yet though). Google cardboard experience is great.

Re: headphone placement, I guess I prefer it on the top but not really thought about it.

The nexus 6p takes about a million times better night shots. The Axon 7 takes the best daytime shots of any phone I've had and processes Hdr basically instantly (hated how slow my nexus 6 was in this).

The Axon 7 has drat great hardware at $400 but you're going to want to ignore all the software features and I don't know what their commitment to updates is. That being said it got a bug fix and security update fairly recently.

It feels as good as the HTC 10 and is probably the smallest handset at that size.

It doesn't work officially with CDMA though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

FAUXTON posted:

The Shield TV is pretty nice. I use it as a Plex server so that i can do things on my computer while my wife watches something

E: I haven't tried streaming a game to it, yet. Rocket League would be a good test.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mu Zeta posted:

Opt into the beta, install the update, than opt out. That's how i forced the OTA to happen on my Nexus 6

https://www.google.com/android/beta

I'd recommend doing a factory refresh after you install. My battery life extended by 30-40%

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sleepwalkers posted:

Am I crazy in not particularly caring that much about the whole Verizon Pixel update thing? If Google does the legwork in developing updates for the phones for the next two years as they've said they would, I'd expect Verizon to eventually roll those out.
Also I'd be curious to see if that bootloader does end up getting unlocked by XDA eventually.

verizon has to approve apple updates and there's no issue with those afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

sleepwalkers posted:

I'd expect Verizon to eventually roll those out.
lol