Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Like literally all Hillary has to do is say "unlike my opponent, who allies with Russia" and Trump will be spewing out stuff about how great Putin is, turn be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

WampaLord posted:

Uhhh, do you not remember that "Please proceed, Governor" and the moderator fact checking following it happened at the town hall debate?

Yeah, but the commission on Presidential debates said they are explicitly not fact checking this year in response to the outrage over that moment.

I'm just caging my expectations, but I think Hillary does better in formal specific debate formats and Trump will be judged relative to her performance. I'm skeptical that he can bomb as badly as he did in the first debate, but Trump is constantly defying expectations. So, we'll see! I think this debate is going to be by far the biggest unknown of the three.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

PupsOfWar posted:

Obama made the nomination. Why should Clinton feel any sense of obligation over it?

The Garland Nomination won't make it to Hillary's term if she wins.

They will confirm him in Lame duck.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, but the commission on Presidential debates said they are explicitly not fact checking this year in response to the outrage over that moment.

I'm not trying to make fun of you, rather to reassure, because anxiety sucks: They said the same thing before the first debate and we were all arzying, then Trump got fact checked a couple key times.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

And Lester Holt fact checked Trump when he tried to claim that he was always against the Iraq War, so the commission's statements clearly don't matter.

You think Anderson Cooper won't do some basic level fact checking?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Also for all of you Arzys out there Hillary looks like she may break 80% on the polls only forecast. Possibly by the end of the day. Currently she's at 79.3%.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

and yet Lester Holt fact checked him several times

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Wait are we going back to worrying that Trump can stay calm for 90 minutes when Hillary is outright baiting him?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

theflyingorc posted:

No, you don't understand, the commission on Presidential debates said that they are explicitly not fact checking this year. Do you think that some evidence that Lester Holt fact checked Trump in the first debate is going to sway my opinion on this!?!?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Wait are we going back to worrying that Trump can stay calm for 90 minutes when Hillary is outright baiting him?

No, we're back to thinking that Clinton sucks at 1-on-1's and that Trump is some master debater.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

theflyingorc posted:

I know, but I think they might be more conscious of it and not allow a Candy Crowley style 30-second back and forth of fact checking. Also, the moderators have never interrupted a candidate to fact check when he is talking to the audience, which is where most of the questions will be coming from. The audience members are not allowed to ask followups either.

These are things I'm laying out as mitigating factors for why this format might be easier for Trump than a formal debate. Not that I think he will win because of these.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I know, but I think they might be more conscious of it and not allow a Candy Crowley style 30-second back and forth of fact checking. Also, the moderators have never interrupted a candidate to fact check when he is talking to the audience, which is where most of the questions will be coming from.

Go outside and tell me what color the sky is.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

I know, but I think they might be more conscious of it and not allow a Candy Crowley style 30-second back and forth of fact checking. Also, the moderators have never interrupted a candidate to fact check when he is talking to the audience, which is where most of the questions will be coming from.

Do you really believe that Trump won't talk over and try to correct someone who brings up a question with a statistic?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anybody is going to be in the pocket for trump, it's definitely the gay dude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, won't only half the questions be from the town hall?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

And again, town halls are Hillary's best format. It was her best primary debate, it's the event type she prefers to do on the campaign trail. She is good at listening to, emphasizing with, and speaking to people's problems. Formal debates are her weaker point, because she isn't great at delivering prepared lines.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Phone posted:

Go outside and tell me what color the sky is.

It's purple and I'm made of jello. Your move. :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Endorph posted:

also, won't only half the questions be from the town hall?

It's half from audience, an undetermined amount submitted online, and some from the moderator.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I can empathize with worrying about a really important event even if it's very likely to go well. I don't think the guy's trolling, just nervous. I mean, look how nervous we were before the first one. You even mentioned you feared the real possibility of 'vallium trump'.

Knowing she stomped him the first time and that he's a dumbass who can't conceive of the idea that a woman could be better than him at anything soothes a lot of the worry, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's purple and I'm made of jello. Your move. :colbert:

C-c-correct.

10 points to Gryffindor.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

White rappers were a mistake.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nothing Trump has done for the last two years has shown him to be competent at anything so I don't know why debate #2 is where he's suddenly going to flower into an amazing debater. Anytime he gets some dumbass pundit or politician (like the Mexican president or Matt Lauer) to gently caress themselves over for his benefit it's basically a self own and not through some clever trick. He's basically the physical avatar of rich, white, male privileged and has been coasting that his entire life including this election to this moment and is suitably unprepared for any actual competition.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

Nothing Trump has done for the last two years has shown him to be competent at anything so I don't know why debate #2 is where he's suddenly going to flower into an amazing debater. Anytime he gets some dumbass pundit or politician (like the Mexican president or Matt Lauer) to gently caress themselves over for his benefit it's basically a self own and not through some clever trick. He's basically the physical avatar of rich, white, male privileged and has been coasting that his entire life including this election to this moment and is suitably unprepared for any actual competition.

Exactly. Nothing will change between now and Sunday.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barbe Rouge posted:

Azealia Banks? Jesse Hughes? Really?
Banks isn't actually pro-Trump, it was some sort of confusing accelerationist thing. I looked up the quote once, but don't really remember it.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Seagal did a reality TV show with Sheriff Joe Arpaio and loves Putin.

He's also been a cop in Louisiana for the past, like, 20 years.

Or at least that's what he told me.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

Replace 'two years' with 'three decades' and you're more on track.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

lozzle posted:

White rappers were a mistake.

I trust and believe in Bubba Sparxxx.

e: If Macklemore is voting for Jill Stein or something stupid like that, I'm going to hunt his rear end down and kick it as the whitest black person in Seattle.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We literally just watched Trump fail at doing a 30 minute 'town hall' with an entirely friendly audience and no opponent or moderator.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

FactsAreUseless posted:

Banks isn't actually pro-Trump, it was some sort of confusing accelerationist thing. I looked up the quote once, but don't really remember it.

That is actually worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sarmhan posted:

We literally just watched Trump fail at doing a 30 minute 'town hall' with an entirely friendly audience and no opponent or moderator.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Since a Trump presidency would mean the end of the US as a world power and a functional democracy, it's only natural that people are worried that he has even a small chance of doing well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lozzle posted:

That is actually worse.
She says he's the lovely candidate America deserves. I love Azealia Banks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

VitalSigns posted:

If Garland ever makes it to a floor vote he will pass with a bunch of Republican support. He was confirmed 99-0 when Obama appointed him to the federal district court. That's why McConnell won't let hearings or a vote happen.

If dems take the Senate, McConnell can no longer bottle up his hearings in the judicial committee.

I still don't see what they hope to accomplish by continuing to block Garland. It isn't making them look any better, win more cases, and it won't make Trump any more likely to win. So why continue to waste time and money on this ridiculous nine-month stunt?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if that practice town hall had aired on television in place of the actual town hall, it would have been called a loss - trump left early, didn't answer the questions well, went over his time, made a lot of bad and uncomfortable statements.

Do you understand that? He lost to literally nothing. He had no opponent. And he still did badly! Clinton can suck as much at town halls as she wants to and so long as she's capable of stringing a coherent sentence together, she'll win.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FactsAreUseless posted:

She says he's the lovely candidate America deserves. I love Azealia Banks.

Still counts as an endorsement. :v:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Wonder what oppo bomb Hillary has for next week.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
At this point I honestly can't imagine an event that could cause me to worry about the outcome of the presidency. It's an immortal lock.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Radish posted:

Agreed. I don't think he is going to do well.

I just think that he won't bomb as badly as he did at the first one. If his first debate was a 1 out of 10, I really doubt he's going to pull a 0 this time. But a 2 out of 10 is better than before and still a bad loss.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Eifert Posting posted:

At this point I honestly can't imagine an event that could cause me to worry about the outcome of the presidency. It's an immortal lock.

Trump could die and come back from the dead, proving he is literally Jesus.

Short of that though yeah i agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Some dumbass on my Facebook feed was claiming that this effort was just a cover for giving money to their contractor friends or some poo poo like that

Honestly, I can believe that. Have you seen recent pictures of Haiti? If that's waht a country looks like after the Clinton Foundation, I'd hate to see what it looked like before

• Locked thread