Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm taking a break from Zelda to play Cooking Mama.

I am kicking rear end at Cooking Mama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Harvest Moon Skytree Village is out in NA on November 6, here's the latest trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZd7ybKp3rU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Holy poo poo that's a grating voice

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Unless you only have a PS Vita I don't see the issue unless you don't know how to set up a US account. :confused:

Yes, it is extremely easy to wipe your memory card each time you switch accounts, good thinking, my man.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Healbot posted:

Yes, it is extremely easy to wipe your memory card each time you switch accounts, good thinking, my man.

Thats why I said unless all you had was a PSVita its rather simple to set up a US PSN account on a PS3. PSVita its a pain in the rear end indeed.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Welp, I read that one wrong lmao, my comprehension sucks today.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I have around 10 hours of flight time over the next week, not including airports, and as such think it's maybe a good time to finally try a JRPG (that isn't Pokemon, I've played both current gen ones on 3DS already). Any good recommendations?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy Rocket Slime and 100% it.

Or Dragon Quest 7.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Look up reviews on Dragon Quest and it looks cool but they all say it's a massive 100 hour commitment. Dunno that I want to get into something that deep. Maybe I should just pick up a few things off the virtual console.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I have around 10 hours of flight time over the next week, not including airports, and as such think it's maybe a good time to finally try a JRPG (that isn't Pokemon, I've played both current gen ones on 3DS already). Any good recommendations?

There's a new Shin Megami Tensei. You don't have to play SMT4 to play SMT4: Apocalypse, but it will probably help you understand some worldbuilding stuff. SMT4: A basically takes place in a timeline branched off from partway through SMT4, with a different set of characters.

If you want a pure-strain JRPG straight into your veins, you cannot go wrong with Bravely Default. I recommend just skipping the first one and playing Bravely Second. The first one isn't a bad game, but it gets a little annoying with this whole Groundhog Day time-loop routine in the story that it subjects you to until you figure out a certain gimmick. It is straight-up an old-school Final Fantasy type game, with your party members lined up in a row, turn-based menus, and a job system, plus a unique risk-reward system in battles where you can have a character "take out a loan" on future turns to do a bunch of actions up front. There are also quality of life things, like being able to increase, decrease, or turn off random encounters, the last of which makes running out of items in the middle of a dungeon, or backtracking in general, a lot less painful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are you loving kidding me? A bad guy makes a move to take over the world, and the only response is to imprison a child for 7 years? So when he wakes up he'll be old enough to fight the bad guy? Because only this child could possibly be the Hero of Time? What about the Hero of Now, motherfuckers? Or the Army of Whenever. Don't pin all you hopes and dreams on one child, to the extent that you're willing to doom the world for 7 goddamn years. This is worse than the last season of Fringe

Holy poo poo, you're playing OOT for the first time? :eyepop:

Also they didn't put all their eggs in one basket, guy. That's just what Link and Rauru were up to. Meanwhile the people back in the normal world were doing everything the can. Zelda was working with the Shiekah to try to overthrow Ganondorf, they just weren't able to do it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Etrian Odyssey 4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Guy Goodbody is that guy who edits imdb goofs pages

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Look up reviews on Dragon Quest and it looks cool but they all say it's a massive 100 hour commitment. Dunno that I want to get into something that deep. Maybe I should just pick up a few things off the virtual console.

Buy Rocket Slime, it's not a JRPG, but it's incredibly breezy and fun.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm just under 10 hours into Dragon Quest 7 now and it's pretty fun.

I love both Bravely Default and Bravely Second (although I still haven't finished Second :negative:) As deadly_pudding said, the QOL improvements over classic JRPGs are quite nice and I really like the characters and the world.

SMT IV is good, Apocalypse isn't out here yet so I haven't played it.

The 3DS has a pretty huge library of JRPGs so take your pick. You can even get a couple of SNES ones on the Virtual Console if you have a New 3DS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Little Battlers eXperience, for some build-'em-all robot fighting action.

Otherwise maybe Tales of the Abyss.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions all. Lots of choices.

Looking it up, is Rocket Slime only for DS? Asking because I guess I'll need a cart then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah DS only.

Unless you live in Japan or speak the language anyway :negative:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I would suggest you get one of the DS re-releases (DQ4-6). They're 30-40 hours at most and you can get them at gamestop for like $15, probably less from a better place.

Other than that, if you're looking for standard FF-style JRPGs then there's Bravely Default and Bravely Second. For dungeon crawlers, there's Etrian Odyssey 4, as well as the remakes of 1 and 2.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

You could give Shin Megami Tensei IV a shot. It's like Pokemon, but with demons. Instead of beating up your future party members until the brink of death and imprisoning them in dimensional-warping balls, you negotiate with them to get them to join you. And sometimes they take all your money, call you a loser, and run away. You can also fuse two demons together to make even BETTER demons. And your player character actually gets in on the action instead of having his party of minions do all the heavy lifting. This may be a positive or a negative depending on your perspective!

Anyway, it's good, and there's a spin-off/sequel to it that just came out, so if you like it you can check out even MORE demon-summoning action!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

River City: Tokyo Rumble is real good. Whoever said it's basically 2d Yakuza is spot on.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Dragon Quest does look pretty drat cool. Is the story relatively easy enough to come back to from time to time and play in bursts or is it pretty complex?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The stories are generally super simple, 4 (Chapters of the Chosen) is even more like a collection of short stories than one big one like most RPG's.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

One last question and I thank you all for answering mine thus far. I just went into the Gamestop near my work at lunch and played a demo of Kirby Planet Robobot. Does the full game own as much as the demo? Because drat, that was some good (albeit brief) Kirbyin'

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

One last question and I thank you all for answering mine thus far. I just went into the Gamestop near my work at lunch and played a demo of Kirby Planet Robobot. Does the full game own as much as the demo? Because drat, that was some good (albeit brief) Kirbyin'

it's one of the best games on the system imo, it's a real fun and cute game

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Very. It's fairly short though, so it might not be enough to cover 10 hours of flight.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks, gonna pick up Kirby tonight before packing. That poo poo was fun in the demo! (p.s. also gonna download Streets of Rage 2 3D)

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Speaking of kirby, which is the best one to start with? It's one of the few Nintendo franchises once never really played, and I feel it's time to rectify that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Austen Tassletine posted:

Speaking of kirby, which is the best one to start with? It's one of the few Nintendo franchises once never really played, and I feel it's time to rectify that.

3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure would be a great place. Superstar Deluxe is also a good point to start on and it's still the best Kirby game overall.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 7, 2016

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Which MH is the best starting point for a total series newbie?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Terminally Bored posted:

Just start with the newest one since it'll have an active online community, so in this case Generations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Terminally Bored posted:

Generations no question. It has the best gameplay and it's kinda like a best of game with elements from every MH game before it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Terminally Bored posted:

Thirding Generations. Monster Hunter has no story to speak of, so each sequel is just an iteration on improved game mechanics with a different roster of monsters and a different set of maps. You should always just start with the newest one.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thanks.

Also I am playing through the Zelda series for the first time, too. I could spam the thread with some impressions if you guys like.

I'm at Z1 and 2 currently but they look kinda ugly (blurry and dark mostly) on my XL and I think I'd do better to wait for the NES mini with them and move on to LTTP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Terminally Bored posted:

Thing about MH games is they're a long list of individual missons you can complete over and over and somewhat in the order of your choosing.

They all have a ton of really easy tutorial missions at first, which if you've played past MH games you skip through, but if that MH is your first, you just naturally end up donig most of them and learning as you go. It'll take you longer to get up to higher rank missions, but who cares? The game's been out awhile and most of us are already at the end.

So yeah, definitely get the latest one which in this case is generations. They only get better with each release, better graphics, more monsters, improved options and controls and stuff. And also means there are other players online, and while MH games do have content that is single-player only, there isn't quite as much as the multiplayer-designed content. You can solo the multiplayer content if you really want, but its an uphill battle compared to playing with friends or strangers online.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

River City: Tokyo Rumble is real good. Whoever said it's basically 2d Yakuza is spot on.

That was moi. It's the poo poo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hold Start when you launch a Virtual Console game and it won't be awkwardly blurry.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Hold Start when you launch a Virtual Console game and it won't be awkwardly blurry.

This works for NES emulation on the 3DS?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am not going to try to get a gold star on every recipe in Cooking Mama. I have no idea how to get the game to consistently recognize the takoyaki flipping motion

I'm never gonna be as good as Mama :(