Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

loquacius posted:

How does the kind of guy who gets divorced over cheating 5 times in his life manage to find 6 women who are willing to marry him

gonna go out on a limb here and guess that maybe, just maybe, he's hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

:(

Can people stop with depressing ones? This is clearly just an abusive dad.

Except he was right. He's trying to give his kid some perspective so she doesn't grow up convinced she's hot poo poo, albeit failing because she thinks getting an A on an exam is some kind of superhuman feat of intelligence. Can't be as smart as she thinks if she missed her deadlines.

I'm pretty impressed by how many people are calling this sad and abusive. You're not supposed to constantly tell your kids "Ohh, you're so smart and amazing and great" all the time. It turns them into lazy assholes. The way I read it, she thought she was the coolest thing ever, then messed up, and is now whining on Reddit like a sadbrains because her dad was absolutely right about her.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

KomodoWagon posted:

Except he was right. He's trying to give his kid some perspective so she doesn't grow up convinced she's hot poo poo, albeit failing because she thinks getting an A on an exam is some kind of superhuman feat of intelligence. Can't be as smart as she thinks if she missed her deadlines.

I'm pretty impressed by how many people are calling this sad and abusive. You're not supposed to constantly tell your kids "Ohh, you're so smart and amazing and great" all the time. It turns them into lazy assholes. The way I read it, she thought she was the coolest thing ever, then messed up, and is now whining on Reddit like a sadbrains because her dad was absolutely right about her.

this gimmick is gettin old

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

KomodoWagon posted:

telling your kid they're too stupid for college is loving retarded and is probably going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy by destroying your kid's self-esteem. there's a middle ground between "everything my kid does is great" and "my kid is worthless"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

P much everybody goes to college in America these days, though. There is no way that kid is "too dumb" to go to college. He'd have a point if what he said was "going to college is a waste of time and lots and lots of money unless you go to a good school and pick your major well and get a scholarship, so let's choose your applications carefully" but that's not what he said.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It sounds like that dad did a really bad job of instilling an inferiority complex early on, and is trying his best to do it now before it's too late

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

loquacius posted:

P much everybody goes to college in America these days, though. There is no way that kid is "too dumb" to go to college. He'd have a point if what he said was "going to college is a waste of time and lots and lots of money unless you go to a good school and pick your major well and get a scholarship, so let's choose your applications carefully" but that's not what he said.

I knew a girl whose dad was a major hard rear end about grades, she had a 4.0 in HS went to UC Irvine and graduated summa cum laude with a degree in sociology and did fuckall with it because she works in a call center. Apparently all their efforts were centered on "get good grades" vs "how can I market this into a fun and stable career" :negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

I knew a girl whose dad was a major hard rear end about grades, she had a 4.0 in HS went to UC Irvine and graduated summa cum laude with a degree in sociology and did fuckall with it because she works in a call center. Apparently all their efforts were centered on "get good grades" vs "how can I market this into a fun and stable career" :negative:

Basically America.txt right now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dial-a-Dog posted:

It sounds like that dad did a really bad job of instilling an inferiority complex early on, and is trying his best to do it now before it's too late

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

loquacius posted:

I mean, if she doesn't care, and she looks good in the heels, then it's on you to buy some dress shoes that make you a little taller and then get over yourself

Ofc if she's wearing like 5-inchers or something then you might be SOL on the first point since they don't really make 3-inch platform shoes for guys since the 70s ended, but that just makes point #2 more crucial

If you have a girlfriend wearing 5-inch heels all the time you should have nothing to complain about

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

pushpins posted:

If you have a girlfriend wearing 5-inch heels all the time you should have nothing to complain about

what if she is FAT :roflolmao:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Smartest guy I know ended up working at a call center. Took him like five years to get out of that poo poo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Gf eats holes in sweaters, skirts, everything really. I wouldn't change her, especially since MKULTRA was a colossal waste of taxpayer money.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

phasmid posted:

Gf eats holes in sweaters, skirts, everything really. I wouldn't change her, especially since MKULTRA was a colossal waste of taxpayer money.

Wait, your girlfriend is a moth

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

as a college student, i really dont think its possible to be too dumb for college.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
College is a lot like Basic Training/Boot Camp.

Only people who have never been there think they can't do it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pick posted:

Smartest guy I know ended up working at a call center. Took him like five years to get out of that poo poo

On the flip side, my wife did average in undergrad but got a solid job straight away because she spent years working toward that goal (and later went back for grad school and makes bank now). But maybe it's because she was the first in her family to go to college in the first place, and when you grow up seeing your parents treated like poo poo in their strawberry picking/toilet scrubbing jobs it sets a much higher standard.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

pushpins posted:

I'm short and I would date Sofia Vergara and let her wear whatever shoes she wanted

My actual wife doesn't wear heels, because she is a millennial, but I'm trying to get her to wear 1- or 2-inchers every once in a while and I think that's reasonable

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pick posted:

Wait, your girlfriend is a moth
No. She is afraid of light.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

My friend [21F] hangs out with my boyfriend [20M] one-on-one all the time, but wouldn't even let me [20F] go to a concert with her boyfriend [22M].

I have a problem with one of my best friends and I'm not sure how to go about resolving it, or if it's worth bringing up at all. Obligatory apologies for terrible formatting bc I'm on mobile. And sorry it's kind of long, I tend to get a little long-winded.

Here's a little name key in case anything gets confusing:

Adam: [22M], one of my best friends for 6 years

John: [20M], my boyfriend of just over 1 year, best friends with Adam and good friends with Lacey

Lacey [21F], one of my good friends, dating Adam for just over 1 year, good friends with Adam and John for about 4? years, friends with me for ~1 year

Adam and I met freshman year in high school and have been really great friends ever since. About 2 years ago, Adam introduced me to his other friend group who didn't go to school with us. In this friend group were John and Lacey. The three of them were very close and spent most of their weekends together.

Last year, John and I got really close, and Lacey and I got close as well. John and I started dating only a week after Lacey and Adam began dating. Lacey and I are pretty good friends now! We go get manicures together, spend time at her apartment with her dog, watch old rom-coms, text a lot - basic girl friend stuff.

Now to the problem today: Lacey seems to somewhat jealous of or upset by my relationships with Adam and John... I'm not really sure what it is. Maybe it's all just a misunderstanding. Anyway, the problem started when Adam had 2 tickets to see one of our favorite bands. He and Lacey were going to go together. However, Lacey didn't want to go, said she didn't like the band, etc. So Adam was left to find someone else to go with (wouldn't most girlfriends go see a band their bf was totally crazy about even if they didn't like the band that much?? But I guess that's beside the point). Adam picked my ex boyfriend, who is one of his friends and also loves the band. I had no problem with that and, frankly, I didn't even know Adam was looking for someone to go with. Adam told me a few days later that he originally was going to ask me, but when he mentioned it to Lacey, she was "upset about it" so he asked my ex instead.

At the time I was disappointed, but didn't think too much of it as we had been drinking that night and the implications didn't fully hit me. But now the more I think about it, the more it upsets me. Lacey tells me that I'm her best friend, but she feels uncomfortable with me going to a concert with her boyfriend..? It's hurtful. It makes me wonder, does she think I'm going to try to steal Adam from her?

Lacey also makes little comments about me and Adam's relationship (Adam's and my relationship? gently caress grammar). Adam and I went on ONE date after our senior year in high school, and after that, we both realized it wasn't what we wanted and we weren't really attracted to each other in that way. I was still attached to aforementioned ex boyfriend, and Adam was pining after Lacey (who was dating someone else at the time). Lacey always brings this up. There is absolutely nothing inappropriate about our relationship that crosses any boundaries. Adam is like a brother. He refers to me as "one of the guys" and definitely treats me like one, too. I might have understood if Lacey is a little wary in any other situation, but she and I are best friends! And I'm dating one of her best friends! I don't get it!!! She also has a history of being jealous of all Adam's female friends, if that helps.

Recently Lacey has been making some comments about John that make me feel a little uncomfortable in light of the concert situation. She's always saying things like "I've always thought John was such a handsome guy" but quickly mentions "but I've never had any romantic feelings towards him, of course. He's like a brother." The first few times, I took it like I heard it and assumed she was just complimenting my choice in (quite handsome) boyfriend. The other day, though, she texted me and said "If you talk to him, tell John that his favorite (platonic) girl hasn't heard from him in three weeks." I have absolutely no issues with them hanging out, even one-on-one, but the "favorite platonic girl" comment kind of threw me for a loop. Added to the concert debacle, it makes me feel like she's trying to push me out or something - to show that she's better friends with Adam and John than I am. I'm not worried anything is going on between John and Lacey or anything like that at ALL, it just makes me feel a little weird. It makes me sad that one of my best friends seems to not trust me around her boyfriend. And this apparent double standard frustrates me to no end - she can hang out with my boyfriend one-on-one no problem, but I can't even go to a concert with hers?

Other possible helpful details: Adam and Lacey briefly broke up about a month ago because she apparently wanted to be married within the next year and wanted 6 kids by the age of 30 (?!?!!), but Adam wasn't as committed, didn't know if she was the one, didn't know if he wanted kids, etc. Adam and I have only hung out one-on-one maybe twice since he and Lacey started dating. Lacey has jealousy issues with a lot of Adam's friends.

Reddit, I don't know what, if anything, I should do. Should I mention my feelings to John? He knows her a lot better than I do and could possibly have some insight. Should I say anything next time Lacey brings something up? Or should I just leave it all alone and ignore it like I'm inclined to do, as the eternal pacifist? Im afraid to make something out of nothing and don't know if thinking about this is even worth the time I'm spending on it. I love Lacey so, so much, and I don't know if this is normal behavior or if it's a tiny red flag. Thanks in advance!

TL;DR: My best friend seems uncomfortable with my friendship with her boyfriend but also makes strange comments about her relationship with my boyfriend. Am I making something out of nothing?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Lacey is not your friend, you bimbo.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

phasmid posted:

Lacey is not your friend, you bimbo.

b-b-b-but...it's CONVENIENT!!!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Lacey's only girl friend is the poster, or at least that none of Lacey's girl friendships are very long lived

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Lacey's only girl friend is the poster, or at least that none of Lacey's girl friendships are very long lived

Beware the woman with few or no female friends. That's a legit tip.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Pick posted:

Thanks for telling me NOW

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Pick posted:

quote:

My [25f] boyfriend of 6 months [24m] has very extreme jealousy issues

So it started with him hating that my best friend was my ex boyfriend. I did understand this because when we were both single we would have a friends with benefits type deal. So I understood and told my best friend that I wanted to try with this guy and told him that we no longer could speak.

Now he tells me I have too many guy friends and that they all want me in some way or another. I do have a lot of guy friends so I started talking to them less frequently.

Now when we go to the store he tells me that i was being overly friendly with the guy cashier and that I was flirting when I wasn't. He will ask if I thought he was attractive I tell him no. I only love him. And then he drops it. I told him I didnt like this so he is trying to be better.

He and I were watching America's Got Talent and he told me that I was watching too intently and that I must of been into the one of the contestants in the show. I told him that he was being ridiculous. He told me that it was my job to make him feel secure even when he was being stupid.

I'm not really sure how to handle this anymore. Please give me some insight

TL;DR My boyfriend is jealous of everything that has a pulse.

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

my [30F] partner [33M] of eleven years posted a nude of mine online

my partner and I have been married for ten years, together for eleven. stuff is normally pretty good. a couple of months ago, i sent him a reasonably sfw nude via facebook. he asked if he could show it to one of his friends as a bit of a humblebrag, and i said he could.

yesterday, he's using his computer on the loungeroom tv and he's scrolling through another popular website that we affectionately call the rear end in a top hat of the internet. he's scrolling down a thread, and i see that nude I sent him attached to a post about something unrelated.

I asked him why he did it, and he said that he was asking a question he wanted an answer to, so he wanted to pick an image that would get someone's attention. I told him I was upset that he posted that to a public forum without my consent, and reminded him how dangerous that was, considering that site's track record for how it treats women, how popular it is, and how fickle people can be, and he seems to think that it's okay because i told him i could share it with one of his friends, and if nothing horrible comes of it, i shouldn't be upset.

I can't even bring myself to be angry over this, I'm just upset and feel kind of violated, not just because of the danger (the photo itself has my fb user id # in the file name to boot) but just how flippantly he treated something that I shared with him to whoever cares to see it, and he doesn't seem to get why it's "such a big deal" if "nothing happened".

Am I in the wrong here for being upset? Am I over reacting? How do I make him understand how wrong this feels and how on earth do I get over it?

teal deer: partner posted a nude pic of mine on a popular site without asking, doesn't get why it's a problem if nothing bad comes of it. he's "sorry not sorry". what do.

:stare:

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
mods please change my name to Meaty Lower Face

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

china bot posted:

Thanks for telling me NOW

There might be some legit exceptions but every woman I've met who was only friends with guys was a user of the highest order (towards men and women, women just tended to get wise to it). You want a loyal lady, get a lady who has a lot of loyal female friends. It's the same fundamentals.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

but other than this, he's great!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

You're better off in college becoming more social and charismatic than get good grades. I got like a 2.9 in college with an engineering and management degree and my company is already paying for my grad school for a higher management level track despite policies not allowing this because I could sweet talk the right people.

library cat
Feb 12, 2016

subway masturbator posted:

Our [14F&13M] brother [30M] cheated on 5 of his ex fiances/wives. We don't want to go to his wedding to the 6th girl because it's just going to happen again

He's implacable of not sleeping with other woman

A 13/14 yr old used the word implacable? What teen goes around saying "implacable"?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you can get amazing grades and tons of friends in college even better :smug:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

sucked my twin off posted:

A 13/14 yr old used the word implacable? What teen goes around saying "implacable"?

It's an autocorrect

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Pick posted:

If you can get amazing grades and tons of friends in college even better :smug:

Lol if you think you can get good grades and be social to any large extent

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pick posted:

Yeah, if it's your partner than they should basically be up to saving themselves in that scenario. But I don't really think that's a fair standard to put on a one-year-old.

One year olds can crawl quite rapidly and additionally they're small enough that they're difficult to hit with a handgun so if anything the one year old should be trying to save me.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Probably phone posting autocorrect for incapable.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder which site that might be :iiam:

tbf they weren't using it right, they p obviously meant "incapable" (efb)

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
what exactly is a sfw nude? Like underwear/swimsuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
God dammit beaten