Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They take a cue from Nintendo and call it "New Batman Movie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

greatn posted:

They take a cue from Nintendo and call it "New Batman Movie"

Ben Affleck already pre-empted them and it's called "The Batman"

They might have a release date or something though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I always considered Batman and Superman their names, never liked hearing "The Batman" in the '89 movie and or the eye-rolly "The Superman" title card in BvS. Will they go with "The Wonder Woman" also? I guess people say Batman if they're talking to him but The Batman if they're talking about him?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm the opposite. There's only one Batman (in the movies anyway), and The Bat-Man is a figure of terror to a superstitious, cowardly lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"the Batman" sounds really cool when Cillian Murphy says it in Batman Begins.

god Cillian Murphy was the best part of those movies, wasn't he?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I like when Bane angrily stumbles over the phrase to the extent that he makes it three words: THE BAT, MAAAAN

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ben Affleck already pre-empted them and it's called "The Batman"

They might have a release date or something though.

Affleck backtracked on that yesterday and said they don't have a title.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Timby posted:

Affleck backtracked on that yesterday and said they don't have a title.

Really? I didn't see that. Do you have a link?

Maybe the DC booth does have some news? Or they just wanted him to backtrack so people will pay attention.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Cillian Murphy is usually the best part of any movie. Even his 15 second cameo in Tron 2 - altho Jeff Bridges trumps all.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Halloween Jack posted:

I just picked a Very Serious Movie that wasn't interesting enough for me to sit through. Whew, that's a weight off. I rewatched Nightbreed last night; it rules.

I watched the director's cut and I wasn't really impressed and I'm someone who loves Clive Barker's books and some of his other movies (Hellraiser, Lord of Illusions). I think it had a strong setting a cool central idea with the whole city of monsters thing, but I don't remember actually liking any of the monsters. The greatest strength was also Lord of Illusions; a fantastic and unique villain.

I should probably get around to reading the book its based off of.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I watched the director's cut and I wasn't really impressed and I'm someone who loves Clive Barker's books and some of his other movies (Hellraiser, Lord of Illusions). I think it had a strong setting a cool central idea with the whole city of monsters thing, but I don't remember actually liking any of the monsters. The greatest strength was also Lord of Illusions; a fantastic and unique villain.

I should probably get around to reading the book its based off of.

Cabal is cool.

I'm torn on whether I prefer the director's cut or theatrical cut of Nightbreed. I think it works a little better when it's more fleet, but it's inarguable that it makes more sense both plot-wise and thematically in the longer version.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yoshifan823 posted:

This might be slightly off topic but we're talking about terror attacks and Japanese movies sooo

Are there any movies that deal with the Aum Shinrinko attacks that came out of Japan in the immediate aftermath? I know Evangelion was affected by in because it was in production at the time (the Wiki page for that is what led me to reading about the attacks), but are there any movies about it in the same way that Gojira is about Hiroshima or Cloverfield is about 9/11, or even a less fictional depiction?

Mawaru Penguin Drum is about kids whose parents were involved in a death cult that planned and executed a subway attack, directed by Japan's biggest David Lynch fan.

It's like half anime hijinx and half hallucinatory anxiety, though, and ultimately it's more using the attacks as a vehicle to talk about abuse vs. selflessness rather than being about the attacks per se.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Definitely. That exact line reading pops into my head every time I read "the Batman".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He's here.

Who?

The bAt-mAn.

It is the best line reading in any of the movies.

Bane's stuff is great too but CM takes top spot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Really? I didn't see that. Do you have a link?

In this Facebook Live:

quote:

I mentioned the other day… it’s been around for a long time, but the movie… there is no Batman movie happening yet, we’re still trying to figure it out, you know, get the script and budget and all that stuff. And someone said, ‘what are you calling it?’ and I had said, like, back when we were promoting another movie, I was like ‘we don’t have a name for it, we’re just going with The Batman or Batman movie’, and I said that, and everyone was like ‘Affleck announces the name of his Batman movie.'

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He's here.

Who?

The bAt-mAn.

It is the best line reading in any of the movies.

The Joker's "Hhhhiiiiiiii" in the hospital room is my favorite, but that one's pretty high up there, yeah.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Superman poured the piss on himself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Timby posted:

The Joker's "Hhhhiiiiiiii" in the hospital room is my favorite, but that one's pretty high up there, yeah.
As far as Ledger's concerned, "Look at me LOOK. AT. ME." is downright chilling.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There's 3 cuts of Nightbreed, Nightbreed: Original , The Cabal Cut, The Director's Cut. They are all different. Cabal cut has been floating around for a while at horror conventions and in seedy backroom VHS / DVD sellers rooms. The Cabal cut is a good almost hour longer than the Directors cut and the Directors cut is only 20 minutes longer, but has like a bunch of different scenes than the original film. Only the directors cut has been given a official release. You can tell the Cabal Cut because it was sourced from a VHS of all things so there's a huge drop in picture quality in some scenes.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 7, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/784425976117747712

Play spot the Superman!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

even his BTS footage has speed ramping. Live it, love it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

As far as Ledger's concerned, "Look at me LOOK. AT. ME." is downright chilling.

I'm a man of my wuuuurrRRD

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jimbot posted:

Play spot the Superman!

The suit is normal, and doesn't have a hole in it. Huh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yeah, I was about to say that it's not a new suit, so I hope it's a flashback, and when Supes does come back to life he's rockin' a slick 90's era black onsie with mullet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I genuinely hope Aquaman dropping his trident then grabbing WW's sword makes the film. :lol:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's in a couple other shots, too. He's surrounded by a green screen frog men and Flash.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

For behind-the-scenes Cyborg every day is Casual Friday.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

There's 3 cuts of Nightbreed, Nightbreed: Original , The Cabal Cut, The Director's Cut. They are all different. Cabal cut has been floating around for a while at horror conventions and in seedy backroom VHS / DVD sellers rooms. The Cabal cut is a good almost hour longer than the Directors cut and the Directors cut is only 20 minutes longer, but has like a bunch of different scenes than the original film. Only the directors cut has been given a official release. You can tell the Cabal Cut because it was sourced from a VHS of all things so there's a huge drop in picture quality in some scenes.

The Cabal Cut even uses workprint footage with burn-in timecode because that's the only format some of the footage still exists. I got to see the Cabal Cut a year or two back with Barker in attendance. He looked healthier, but you can tell the disease he's been dealing with hosed him up pretty badly. I had no idea he was basically comatose for a good stretch. Personally, I didn't like the Cabal Cut. It was cool seeing the extended open, and I always loved the visual of that guy in the beginning with the blow torch during the title sequence, but the cabal cut just adds way too many expository dialogue scenes that just aren't needed. If it was just extra footage of Cronenberg, I would be in heaven, but I'm pretty sure there's scenes of the protagonist going to work and poo poo and it's like "why did they add this back in?" The original is a flawed masterpiece, trying to make it coherent by stretching out the runtime and watering down the protagonist's journey just dilutes the movie.

Anyone have a .gif of Decker pulling off the face mask for the first time. The visual of him putting his finger in the mouth hole to pull off the mask was always struck out to me. Plus that mask is just cool as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxBF--yFt0

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 7, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Jimbot posted:

He's in a couple other shots, too. He's surrounded by a green screen frog men and Flash.

While shirtless! :eyepop:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haha, the flags and balloons seem out of place.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

Haha, the flags and balloons seem out of place.

They're invading a birthday party

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Timby posted:

In this Facebook Live:

That one is really good!

I've always been partial to "Shut up. Shut. Up. There ain't no Bat, okay? There aint no Bat!" from the '89 Keaton movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I genuinely hope Aquaman dropping his trident then grabbing WW's sword makes the film. :lol:
Aquaman had BETTER know kung fu in the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

10 Beers posted:

That one is really good!

I've always been partial to "Shut up. Shut. Up. There ain't no Bat, okay? There aint no Bat!" from the '89 Keaton movie.

That dude rules.

"Because he is Batman, you moron!" from Batman Returns is also a classic

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Ezra Miller does look like he's having the time of his life like in every thing I see of him.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That dude rules.

"Let's! Make! A mayor!" has been stuck in my head for several years, occupying the same spot as "Keeeownselor" from Cape Fear.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It is!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is still my favorite Batman line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrQaCEQDJc4

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder how related to the producer or executive that person was.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I wonder how related to the producer or executive that person was.

I wanna believe it's Senator Patrick Leahy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Forest Whitaker joins Black Panther cast.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/784520049205927936/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Locked thread