Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Dead Island is why we don't deserve preorder bonuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

Dead Island is why we don't deserve preorder bonuses

Very wrong. People who preorder should be inflicted with Dead Island-like bonuses until they stop.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Should I start at the beginning of the Yakuza series or jump to a particular game and just watch a story synopsis or something?

I think they all have built in synopses now?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bloodychill posted:

StripNebulosa's suggestion has been making the wait for DQB bearable though. Pretty fun, although the game will occasionally throw a bunch of BS on the last wave and I am always tempted to use too many runes on each map.

Happy to hear it! Good tower defense is worth its weight in gold, imo.

Rune-wise I try to stick to just the one life one (as once even one hero reaches you you're probably screwed as more will follow), but I'm a weenie when it comes to challenge, haha.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I think they all have built in synopses now?

5 doesn't, but I started with that one and loved it and didn't feel confused at all. It doesn't matter too much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Island's zombie lady torso collector's edition is my favorite collector's edition anything ever because an entire committee of people had to look at that and say, "people will want this". Artists, modelers, sculptors had to look at it and say, "people will want to look at this." Stores, television channels, production companies had to look at it and say "we will market this". What ends up being hundreds of people had to look at that and say not just to others but to themselves that it's something the world deserves and something fans of Dead Island will want to have, and not cry. It's wonderful.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't there a zombie game with a pre-order bonus of zombie apocalypse survival lessons or something dumb or am I making this up

E: it was dying light

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 7, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snak posted:

Yeah, two of the most popular franchises in American had some crazy poo poo. It's way more common in Japanese games.

I mean theres still stuff in like Dead Island and Witcher and others. Its not uncommon. Hell even indie games are starting to ship with physical bonus goodies like Shantae and Shovel Knight, although more than likely thats because pretty clearly inspired by the Japanese counterparts

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Borderlands had that life-size loot box thing that was pretty cool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah I know that AAA games tend to get big fancy preorder packages, I just meant that it seems like a lot of japanese games have it regardless and I wasn't sure if that was just confirmation bias on my part or if japan actually does do that kind of thing more often with its games, both AAA and not

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

I mean theres still stuff in like Dead Island and Witcher and others. Its not uncommon. Hell even indie games are starting to ship with physical bonus goodies like Shantae and Shovel Knight, although more than likely thats because pretty clearly inspired by the Japanese counterparts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah I know that AAA games tend to get big fancy preorder packages, I just meant that it seems like a lot of japanese games have it regardless and I wasn't sure if that was just confirmation bias on my part or if japan actually does do that kind of thing more often with its games, both AAA and not

I have to imagine the Japanese stuff just gets more coverage because people are like "look at this crazy one that has a boob mousepad" or w/e. Same reason why Dead Island got so much coverage

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Funny thing about the dead island zombie lady torso is that it's a prime example of why infamy and bad PR don't always net you the same outcome as good PR. Riptide still sold like dogshit even with the 'controversy' surrounding the collector's edition.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Funny thing about the dead island zombie lady torso is that it's a prime example of why infamy and bad PR don't always net you the same outcome as good PR. Riptide still sold like dogshit even with the 'controversy' surrounding the collector's edition.

Didn't we learn that already with that company that did the shadowman 2 poo poo or whatever it was called with the ads on graves? :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was Shadowman 2econd Coming, yes.

2econd Coming is the actual name of the thing, too. It's not Shadowman 2: Second Coming, it's 2econd Coming.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Posting Indiebox is sort of cheating though, those editions weren't widely available and a lot of them came out way after the actual game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

nothing is cheating when it comes to nuclear throne

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish there were more special editions that were just game plus art book or whatever without all the rest of the crap. Art books are usually cool additions, but I don't want some ridiculously stupid and useless statue or iconic cap or clunky phone wrist band.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

Dead Island's zombie lady torso collector's edition is my favorite collector's edition anything ever because an entire committee of people had to look at that and say, "people will want this". Artists, modelers, sculptors had to look at it and say, "people will want to look at this." Stores, television channels, production companies had to look at it and say "we will market this". What ends up being hundreds of people had to look at that and say not just to others but to themselves that it's something the world deserves and something fans of Dead Island will want to have, and not cry. It's wonderful.
Nah, this isn't how that works. A couple of studio execs came up with the stupid idea and the other employees had to produce it because it's part of their job, they're almost always not in the position to question decisions. Stores etc. didn't bat an eye because they just put up anything they're paid to put up by the publisher as well, it's all the same poo poo to them and the blame lands on the publisher anyway. I mean, even after the whole controversy blew up that collector's edition was still shipped to some stores.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kirby Superscare! posted:

I have added Freedom Force to my March! game play list. It seems it fits that category best.

Great! It's a pretty short game so please consider getting the sequel too.

Also let me know if you have trouble running it, it's a weird bird.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hi i don't know how to play eu4 who should i be

should i be burgundy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ottomans is considered the friendliest start for a new player because it's impossible to lose a war for the first two hundred years

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

hi i don't know how to play eu4 who should i be

should i be burgundy

Be a color you like

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i went with burgundy. pray for us

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

What th

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What did speedrunners do to the Japanese

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

This is from an entire Lootcrate style subscription service that takes older indie games and sends you a physical box a download code, a physical copy of the game/soundtrack on disc, and some extra goodies. On one hand it's kind of fun from a design perspective to see The Stanley Parable has a box that looks like a piece of Windows 98 office software and comes with a tie, business cards, and a mousepad but on the other hand you're still paying $30 for a game that goes on sale for a tenth of that all the time just so you can have a box and what amouts to a bunch of convention swag.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

chumbler posted:

I wish there were more special editions that were just game plus art book or whatever without all the rest of the crap. Art books are usually cool additions, but I don't want some ridiculously stupid and useless statue or iconic cap or clunky phone wrist band.

I liked the New Vegas special edition because the feelies were really simple poo poo that didn't need to be compromised in order to be interesting physical items. Like stop trying to make working Pipboy replicas a thing they're never gonna work as well as you want them to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I once watched an unboxing video of a guy showing off his cool glowing electromagnetic blade from his Metal Gear Rising preorder and I swear as he was looking at it and his shelf of other useless 'swag' I pinpointed the exact moment he realized he was wasting his life.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

what should be doing with his life lurdiak

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

oddium posted:

Gonna guess the answer is "saying video games are bad, on the internet"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Video games are good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

Not filling his house up with preorder bonuses and anime figures.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah he's gotta leave some room for jelly bean dispensers

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Video games are good

Thank you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've heard a rumour that video games are bad, is that corroborated anywhere?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I've heard a rumour that video games are bad, is that corroborated anywhere?

Video games are good, but nerd swag is bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Video games are good, but nerd swag is bad.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive got a fairly swag blow up Teddie doll thats weighted and flops around like Bozo the Clown when you punch it, that things pretty cool.

• Locked thread