Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
What Vaal skills see use other than the various buffs (Haste, Discipline, Grace etc) and Vaal Spark? I still have Vaal Lightning Trap in my build, but if that was nerfed/fixed to no longer work on shock-immune bosses that's probably not particularly great now either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

What Vaal skills see use other than the various buffs (Haste, Discipline, Grace etc) and Vaal Spark? I still have Vaal Lightning Trap in my build, but if that was nerfed/fixed to no longer work on shock-immune bosses that's probably not particularly great now either.

Vaal Righteous Fire is the biggest damage in the game. Vaal Reave is required if you're using regular reave. Vaal Lightning Strike is a good melee boss killer if your build is lacking there. That's about it afaik.

Vaal Molten Shell was worth building around til 2.4 (might still be idk). Maybe Vaal Immortal Call is good for something?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 7, 2016

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

You haven't lived until you've one-shot a twinned high-tier map boss with Vaal Detonate Dead. :black101:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lightning Trap is free shock but otherwise not great

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a viable detonate dead build? Or as a secondary that uses it inmvwdt or something? Ive always liked it and just got a 20% one.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

why not just create higher level versions of the babby gems and give them new names

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Is it actually worth running perandus mod? Is 3 chests + chance at the Fat Man worth on average 4c?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

Is there a viable detonate dead build? Or as a secondary that uses it inmvwdt or something? Ive always liked it and just got a 20% one.

Traps. Throw fiery death everywhere and give no fucks about map mods. You'll have to run elemental traps until you switch over to maps, but don't forget to grab a desecrate gem just to get it levelled up in time. Got a hardcore tree here, grab the southern nodes first, then head left to grab the AOE bubbles, and grab Hasty Reconstruction (between witch and shadow) right when you transition over to DD traps.

For links you want Desecrate - Trap - Cluster Trap for making corpses, and Detonate Dead - Vaal Detonate Dead - Trap - Cluster Trap - Inc. AoE - Fire Penetration for your six link. Having the Vaal DD on hand without swapping gems can be useful when you run across rogue exiles or beyond demons, but if you need the damage and lack a 6-link you can prioritize Fire Penetration over it. You'll also want to have Elemental Focus to swap for Inc. AoE, and Trap and Mine Damage to swap for Cluster Trap to seriously beef up your Vaal DD for boss killing. And an extra Vaal DD gem in a socket somewhere as extra ammo if the first whiffs.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 7, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Vaal Storm Call is pretty good while levelling and can also deal a decent amount of single-target damage.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

whypick1 posted:

FIRE LASER!!!!!1111ONEONEONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ygiKOfLww

2.4.1 scheduled to drop next Friday, 2.4.2 (with above skill) couple weeks after.

Oh god, yes please. This is the skill we've all been waiting for!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I want it on a spell totem so I can have miniature pet sauron towers everywhere.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

Is it actually worth running perandus mod? Is 3 chests + chance at the Fat Man worth on average 4c?

no

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mince Pieface posted:

Someone on reddit did the math: yes, but only if you commit to running it a lot and forever (you might even have to sell raw coins to stay afloat)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tarezax posted:

Imagine: LAZER TOTEMS.

You cant imagine how many BeamLaserTotems i am imagining right now.
Im imagining them really hard.

This wont hit in essence though, right?

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

idk if he checks this thread but theirs a goon who's in love with vaal lightning strike and it's really good. Like, im pretty sure it has the longest effective range in the game and just obliterates everything in the direction you proc it. I forgot what he used for soul production but i know it wasnt sacrificial harvests (the expensive ones). Maybe shatter idk.

I think a lot of vaal skills have a lot of potential that probably hasnt even been looked at, mainly because the cost in jewels and stuff can be quite high. Also, the total cockblock that is lab izaro.

Vaal burning arrow in traps/mines has always really interested me. It acts more like discharge than anything. But with the current CI+Soul Strike trapper/miner meta, maybe now is the time for vaal burning arrow?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You cant imagine how many BeamLaserTotems i am imagining right now.
Im imagining them really hard.

This wont hit in essence though, right?

Should hit in November. League ends in December.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

whypick1 posted:

Should hit in November. League ends in December.

I guess "fire" and "spell" are given tags, what else can we assume?
Duration? Aoe?
Will "channeld" be a new tag? Will there be new passives for this?
So many questions...

e: planning out a tripple-laser-totem templar right now, probably with a +2 fire bow to apply flammability via chaining-splitarrow or something.
Really excited about this.
I mean, lasers!

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 7, 2016

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Bit late to the party for this league but giving an Essence Drainer a try. Anyone online that could invite to Essence SC? Char name is DrainNoodles. No one in the OP seems to be online

EDIT: Sorted, cheers!

Mackers fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 7, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Okay, Ballista Hell is a remarkably fun build. Just keep running and tossing out turrets :black101: Just squeaked over 400 dex so I can basically never stop running and they just shred through poo poo. Stacking it as a lightning ballista build, scaling off Static Electricity, HoT, and Wrath, and running as Assassin, which will also give basically permashock.

God drat this game has so many ridiculous things you can do and :iia:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, considering it looks remarkably like a fire beam, would chieftain be the better option?

Can you apply curse on hit with ancestral bond?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Allright think I am done running the Perandus mod. The good items are cheap enough that I feel it is not worth the 4c per map. Just gonna vaal every packsize roll that rolls below 20 and if I get lucky and get a double one without vaaling, will beyond that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My strategy has just been to roll T14/15s with at/around 30% packsize with beyond, then popping double beyond. Sure, you spend upwards of 10c a map but goddamn I'm still getting serious XP at 91 and my pool of T15s has been pretty great.

This is also why I'm poor most of the time, I think. More research is needed.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the other hand, considering it looks remarkably like a fire beam, would chieftain be the better option?

Can you apply curse on hit with ancestral bond?

I'm assuming this fire beam skill is going to be damage over time skill that does burning damage. DOT skills can't leech, so that's one chieftain node out. As I understand it, Ngamahu, Flames Advance only works on other damage done to a target that is already burning, not a skill that is actively burning a target.

Yes, you can appy curse on hit with AB. It just has to be a hit, not a damaging hit. Still need a damaging hit to apply Elemental Equilibrium, though.

If you want to go totems, Searing bond is probably a better choice. I had a build last league that used Searing Bond and Decoy Totem to great effect. Since one SB doesn't count towards your totem count, you can have decoy totem out at the same time without Ancestral bond. Which means you can still apply EE, which SB doesn't overwrite. With curses on blasphemy, I'd put down my totems, apply EE with Ball Lightning+GMP and run through the taunted mobs with impunity.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Just figured I'd give my thoughts on the value of rares since people have been talking about it the last few days. You definitely dont need to get to high level maps before you start IDing/selling rares. I make almost all my wealth in leagues from selling random rare items, and a lot of them are lower ilvl. As an example, you can get a 837 es vaal regalia from rare mobs in dried lake. You can get a 680 pdps coronal maul from white mobs in dried lake. If you want to make a lot of money, learn what bases are popular and start picking them up as soon as they start dropping.

Most item filters have a special colour for top bases or even filter out anything that isnt a top base, but here are some classic examples of bases you should probably always ID if you're not sure of what you're doing: Vaal axe, Coronal Maul, Imperial Skeen, Ambusher, Platinum Kris, Jewelled Foil, Imbued Wand, Harbinger Bow, Vaal Regalia, Sorcerers Gloves, Sorcerers Boots, Slink Boots, Slink Gloves, Titan Greaves, Titan Gauntlets, Hubris Circlet, Eternal Burgonet, Supreme Spiked Shield, Titanium Spirit Shield, Harmonic Spirit Shield, Vaal Spirit Shield, All belts/rings/amulets, All new bases in 2.4. These are the most obvious moneymakers, but I usually ID most tier 1 bases in the game on top of this list.

(I might have forgotten something so please be gentle)

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 7, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will the Fireborn hit Heart of Thunder at top of Witch and Cleaving and Slaughter left of Marauder? It looks like I can get 400% fire damage if so. Does Axe damage even count towards Fireborn or only Cold Chaos and Lightning?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ButtWolf posted:

Will the Fireborn hit Heart of Thunder at top of Witch and Cleaving and Slaughter left of Marauder? It looks like I can get 400% fire damage if so. Does Axe damage even count towards Fireborn or only Cold Chaos and Lightning?
No, and no. Fireborn only replaces damage types, so Physical yes but Axe no, and all three of those nodes are outside Fireborn's medium radius.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then it's worthless. There are no good areas to put it. Oh well. I should be at roughly 300% fire damage plus consecrated ground and bonus if I've cast recently. So about 400%. 207% should be more than adequate right?

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 7, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Fireborn is best with the duelist nodes, changing it to Fire Damage with Two-Handed Weapons. I'm not sure there's many other places that would actually benefit from it.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im doing Old Man. Its ok really i have some nice fire dmg jewels that do just fine.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

theshim posted:

Okay, Ballista Hell is a remarkably fun build. Just keep running and tossing out turrets :black101: Just squeaked over 400 dex so I can basically never stop running and they just shred through poo poo. Stacking it as a lightning ballista build, scaling off Static Electricity, HoT, and Wrath, and running as Assassin, which will also give basically permashock.

God drat this game has so many ridiculous things you can do and :iia:

Sitting on 9 turrets right now with 1400 dexterity. Sitting at about 190k dps, and this is while wearing a Kaom's Heart Plate for the flat 500 hp increase. (You can easily 4slot frenzy and be just as effective at debuffing).

I do have +1 arrow drill and +45% ballista placement speed devotos though. Not super cheap to assemble. Prices for a lot of the stuff I grabbed early for it quadrupled in price after a guide was posted for it. Dex/resist rings have gone from 3-4c to like 50c-1ex now. (Cost me roughly 10ex for everything to make the build end game viable) But, goddamn nothing feels as good as being able to poo poo out 9 turrets in less than a second of holding down the summon button.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 7, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
7 ED gems all leveled to 20.

Dumped 120c on GCPs getting 6 of them to 20/20.

Vaal'ed them all.

#6 was a 21/20.

DPS goes up 30%

Worth it.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Vasudus posted:

7 ED gems all leveled to 20.

Dumped 120c on GCPs getting 6 of them to 20/20.

Vaal'ed them all.

#6 was a 21/20.

DPS goes up 30%

Worth it.

Grats! Time to farm shaper now then yeah? Or still chasing lvl 4 empower?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Budgie posted:

Grats! Time to farm shaper now then yeah? Or still chasing lvl 4 empower?

Still chasing a level 4 empower (got 8ex to go roughly) but I can probably push guardians now and get my keys. I will probably need that empower for Shaper, and then I can start upgrading my gear.

I'm seriously debating on ditching my eye of chalupa and getting a regular necklace + that anti-stun flask. I would get so many more stats having a real necklace.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Still chasing a level 4 empower (got 8ex to go roughly) but I can probably push guardians now and get my keys. I will probably need that empower for Shaper, and then I can start upgrading my gear.

I'm seriously debating on ditching my eye of chalupa and getting a regular necklace + that anti-stun flask. I would get so many more stats having a real necklace.

If you don't find yourself getting clobbered a lot, and you're in SC, the eye necklace isn't even super necessary. It's only great for speed clearing maps. It's not super necessary for most bosses that are all mechanics.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

If you don't find yourself getting clobbered a lot, and you're in SC, the eye necklace isn't even super necessary. It's only great for speed clearing maps. It's not super necessary for most bosses that are all mechanics.

It was a much bigger deal when I was in my 60s-70s and things didn't instantly melt. Even before upgrading to a 21/20 most trash was a joke and ED lets me just run around avoiding mechanics while it does the work. I've just kept it on out of habit, CI = STUNS ARE BAD.

I think I'm going to try rolling a nice Envy necklace with 20% ES and some resists.

edit: I also run a 22/20 enfeeble and have a stibnite flask

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Question: I'm looking at the Gladiator ascendency, and I see that 2 nodes give 25% chance to cause bleeding. Are these added together and calculated once (giving 50% chance to bleed [25%+25%]) or is 25% calculated twice (giving 43% [25% + .75%*25%])?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jinnigan posted:

Question: I'm looking at the Gladiator ascendency, and I see that 2 nodes give 25% chance to cause bleeding. Are these added together and calculated once (giving 50% chance to bleed [25%+25%]) or is 25% calculated twice (giving 43% [25% + .75%*25%])?

Its 50%. You can get another 16% on the tree and wear a voidheart for 100%.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
This is my first league ever playing this game passed like normal, and I'm wondering what my current goals should be. I've mostly just been screwing around on maps since I've gotten high enough to do so, and I don't really know how to endgame yet. My build is 2h flicker strike (physical). https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/sirlind/characters

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

TheRat posted:

Just figured I'd give my thoughts on the value of rares since people have been talking about it the last few days. You definitely dont need to get to high level maps before you start IDing/selling rares. I make almost all my wealth in leagues from selling random rare items, and a lot of them are lower ilvl. As an example, you can get a 837 es vaal regalia from rare mobs in dried lake. You can get a 680 pdps coronal maul from white mobs in dried lake. If you want to make a lot of money, learn what bases are popular and start picking them up as soon as they start dropping.

Most item filters have a special colour for top bases or even filter out anything that isnt a top base, but here are some classic examples of bases you should probably always ID if you're not sure of what you're doing: Vaal axe, Coronal Maul, Imperial Skeen, Ambusher, Platinum Kris, Jewelled Foil, Imbued Wand, Harbinger Bow, Vaal Regalia, Sorcerers Gloves, Sorcerers Boots, Slink Boots, Slink Gloves, Titan Greaves, Titan Gauntlets, Hubris Circlet, Eternal Burgonet, Supreme Spiked Shield, Titanium Spirit Shield, Harmonic Spirit Shield, Vaal Spirit Shield, All belts/rings/amulets, All new bases in 2.4. These are the most obvious moneymakers, but I usually ID most tier 1 bases in the game on top of this list.

(I might have forgotten something so please be gentle)

I'd go a bit further and say it's worth picking up all boots. Boots are such a common slot for rares: there are few boots with unique build-defining mechanics, so I think the boot slot is dominated by rares. Your goal is getting boots that have both movespeed, life/ES, and resists. Base is not important unless you're worried about maximising ES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What are some problems I'd run into if I wanted to make a build using Slivertongue, Drillneck, and Deadeye, focusing on Pierce and Bleed? Could focus on crit too but I think it makes the most sense to focus on higher physical damage for better bleed damage?

Questions I have include: survivability? (just warlord's mark, probably) Single target dps? Boss fight sustain?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 8, 2016

• Locked thread