Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't start with that moral relativism schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

To be clear the post I originally quoted said "pre-order bonuses" not "nerd swag"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

I've heard a rumour that video games are bad, is that corroborated anywhere?

I'd like to present the controversial opinion that some video games are bad, and some are good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kaz... i'm already a spymaster ....

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
is the new paper mario game bad, or good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

To be clear the post I originally quoted said "pre-order bonuses" not "nerd swag"

Yeah I rephrased because there's a difference. I mean pre-ordering is not good either but that's a different conversation.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Inflammatory posted:

i think it's better than paper mario 64 but not as good as thousand year door, so number 2 overall

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Inflammatory posted:

Combat - Bad
Having characters that aren't Toad recolors - Bad
Everything else - Good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

help burgundy is slowly losing money how do i build mining stations

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Inflammatory posted:

According to the "general consensus" the writing is good and everything else is the worst it's ever been.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

help burgundy is slowly losing money how do i build mining stations

Take from the weak because its your god given right

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Disband your army, be the change you want to see

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The Steep beta started today, but its under NDA

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

tap my mountain posted:

The Steep beta started today, but its under NDA

That's one I'm curious about. It looks fun and I like winter games stuff. Haven't had any good ones since SSX.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RICKY WINTERBORN

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i lowered my maintenances and fired my advisers and the ducats are trickling in. i'm saving up to go to war with lorainne who seems to be in a partnership with my idiot rival provence once my boy king becomes a man king

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

That's one I'm curious about. It looks fun and I like winter games stuff. Haven't had any good ones since SSX.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been any word of a sequel to that SSX reboot, I loved it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oddium posted:

i lowered my maintenances and fired my advisers and the ducats are trickling in. i'm saving up to go to war with lorainne who seems to be in a partnership with my idiot rival provence once my boy king becomes a man king

oh snap provence just declared war on my good friend brittany

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never knew about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB-RvnO2eKQ

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lurdiak posted:

I once watched an unboxing video of a guy showing off his cool glowing electromagnetic blade from his Metal Gear Rising preorder and I swear as he was looking at it and his shelf of other useless 'swag' I pinpointed the exact moment he realized he was wasting his life.

Dude makes a living opening boxes for the internet. I think he's alright.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Has there been ANY footage of The Last Guardian since the 2015 e3? because lol it's coming out in December.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

Dude makes a living opening boxes for the internet. I think he's alright.

Nah, he doesn't, this was a side thing, and he honestly seemed to realize he had too much nerd poo poo crowding his apartment that he had paid ridiculous amounts of money for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Collecting videogame paraphernalia is cool if that's what you're into and if that's what you wanna spend your youtube ad revenue on then I say go for it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Has there been ANY footage of The Last Guardian since the 2015 e3? because lol it's coming out in December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlHjWU5etYE

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dang, Mafia II's opening lasts forever. Getting the full life story of this guy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

this is living

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Wasn't there a zombie game with a pre-order bonus of zombie apocalypse survival lessons or something dumb or am I making this up

E: it was dying light

at this point you might as well just become an investor and actually get something out of it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Someone talk me out of grabbing Stardew Valley now that it's the Humble Bundle monthly thing, please. I have other games to play this weekend, I don't need to fall into farming hell.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someone talk me out of grabbing Stardew Valley now that it's the Humble Bundle monthly thing, please. I have other games to play this weekend, I don't need to fall into farming hell.

you can only talk to people once a day

there's objectively best crops and it's easy to set up sprinklers so it pretty much grows itself

the mine combat is bad

the festivals are show up and talk to everyone for the most part

it's kind of ugly

but it's fun too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

why? it's fun and many of its issues can be fixed with mods

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Looper posted:

why? it's fun and many of its issues can be fixed with mods

It's mostly because I have a lot of games to play already and I just know that I'll start playing Stardew Valley and not stop for a while and I'm...going to get it, aren't I. It's fun waiting for the mystery games in the Humble Bundle, the game itself is worth the full 15$, and welp.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

I once watched an unboxing video of a guy showing off his cool glowing electromagnetic blade from his Metal Gear Rising preorder and I swear as he was looking at it and his shelf of other useless 'swag' I pinpointed the exact moment he realized he was wasting his life.

i would like a cool glowing blade but i would probably not like the rest

I do have a Johnny Gat statue but that edition was on sale cheap cause nobody bought it, and the wub gun and noise button are kinda cool

CJacobs posted:

Collecting videogame paraphernalia is cool if that's what you're into and if that's what you wanna spend your youtube ad revenue on then I say go for it
that's the other thing, if you can get paid enough to collect things to pay for the things to collect, totally do it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stardew Valley's pretty good. But I played a whole lot of it when it first came out, and i was under a terrible depression at the time, and the game definitely exacerbated it, so watch out I guess

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Stardew Valley's pretty good. But I played a whole lot of it when it first came out, and i was under a terrible depression at the time, and the game definitely exacerbated it, so watch out I guess

:( I'm glad you seem to be doing better now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well, I mean, ehhhhhh....

But thank you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

How exactly did it exacerbate it, if I might ask? I've seen it bandied about as a good game for chilling out, but if it makes depression worse...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you can't get out of bed for your real life, its probably not good to spend 12 hours a day playing an addictive simulated life

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would call it the gaming equivalent of fatty comfort food. At least it was for me. It's got the classic "numbers going up" thing tied to menial, repetitive tasks. It's pure escapism.

Here's a (positive) Steam review of the game I just looked up that kinda illustrates why it's a bad idea to play it when you're depressed:

quote:

There are two kinds of games, games that gets your blood pumping, and games that sooths your soul. Stardew Valley falls in the latter category. Case in point, myself. A year or two ago I was rejected in the most publicly humiliating way possible by my crushes, needless to say I was utterly heart broken. For a while I was quite depressed, cut ties with a lot of people, angry with a lot of people, the whole nine yards. Then came Stardew Valley. Thinking back to all the fond memories I have with similar harvest moon type game. I've decided to scoop it up during a sale and immediately jump into it. Just like that, I was hooked. There is something indescribable about farming simulator. Short of actual farming, farming simulator such as Stardew Valley is about as soul healing as it gets. Over the course of months I've sink nearly all my free time into Stardew Valley growing crops, reading up wiki, interacting with the in game NPC, and while I'm doing that, all my real world problem fades away; I'm not surrouded by peers who alienated me, I'm living on a farm growing crops, tending animals, growing a community. And that's what makes Stardew Valley such a wonderful must have game.

Isn't that just the saddest thing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, gotcha, it's good escapism which can be really difficult to break away from. Kind of like the Sims, but with more to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's more of a person-by-person basis kind of thing though. For some people (like myself) the sense of escapist entertainment video games provide helps a lot when you're stressed out. Video games provide a good break from the 'real world' when you might really need it.

• Locked thread