Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Neurolimal posted:

Any particular quality reason a novice painter like me should know, or is it just so you dont need to write down mix ratios and save time on preparing things for touch-ups?

I'm kind of lazy. :P

I do things mostly by sight (so no ratios), and I hate the waste of making too much of a mix, and don't want to then have to match it with another mix when I run out. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

mango sentinel posted:

Do any lines have a good "barbarian with a whip" or "roast turkey" models?

I think I know exactly where you're going with this, and love it. Sadly, Reaper, my go-to miniatures line has neither of those. (I looked for fod, roast, turkey (a hunter carrying a turkey) and male human whip (Some indiana jones knock-offs).

Citadel has the taskmaster, which is a guy with a whip and club who looks kind of barbarian-ish.

You never specified male, so maybe it's not what I was thinking. Reaper has females with whips who look like barbarian, called "daighters of the whip"

E: (Oops, didn't meant to double post)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah I was thinking Castlevania diorama. Best bet might be to graft a whip/hand/arm onto a barbarian model.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If I was going to walk into a craft store to get some, what would be the actual name I would look for if I wanted "green stuff"?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I was going to walk into a craft store to get some, what would be the actual name I would look for if I wanted "green stuff"?

Kneadite green

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah I was thinking Castlevania diorama. Best bet might be to graft a whip/hand/arm onto a barbarian model.

Your best bet for the roast turkey may be looking for some plastic children's toy and then just basing it or painting over it or even using it as-is.

There's lots of fake food made for kids play sets and stuff... :shrug:

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Kneadatite is available most cheaply at a plumbing supply store. Like way, way, cheaper and sometimes in vast unreasonable qualities.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Also US Thanksgiving is coming up. There might be some holiday town bits available at a craft store.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Your best bet for the roast turkey may be looking for some plastic children's toy and then just basing it or painting over it or even using it as-is.

There's lots of fake food made for kids play sets and stuff... :shrug:
100% sure dollhouse and train set lines have me covered on this.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

counterspin posted:

Kneadatite is available most cheaply at a plumbing supply store. Like way, way, cheaper and sometimes in vast unreasonable qualities.

Yeah but I Wouldn't want to try to sculpt with it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

DiHK posted:

Yeah but I Wouldn't want to try to sculpt with it.

Why not? It's literally the same as the stuff you get from miniature companies. All they're doing is repackaging the product and charging you more.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ask for epoxy putty. They won't likely have any that is suitable for sculpting.

Get kneadite online.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

counterspin posted:

poo poo, so that time I tried to snake a sink with a coat hanger and punched a hole in the ancient plumbing and fixed it with green stuff I was doing it right all along?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Plumber's putty being repurposed for miniatures is still the funniest thing about the hobby for me. :)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

How about cyanoacrylate being an accidental invention during WW2 when they were trying to make clear plastics for gun sights?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Avenging Dentist posted:

Why not? It's literally the same as the stuff you get from miniature companies. All they're doing is repackaging the product and charging you more.

I have never seen sculpting quality "plumbers putty". Also it is usually a quick cure.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

DiHK posted:

I have never seen sculpting quality "plumbers putty". Also it is usually a quick cure.

You need to buy the specific product mentioned above: Kneadatite (the Blue/Yellow variety). This is the exact same thing as "green stuff", and hobby companies just repackage it (sometimes they don't even do that much) and sell it for a markup. Other kinds of plumbers' putty may not be good, but that should be obvious: they're not the same product.

Another quality Kneadatite putty is Brown/Neutral, otherwise known as "brown stuff". It's a lot harder to find, since it's not used in industrial settings much anymore, but Privateer still sold it the last I checked. You probably won't find it anywhere else though, since I think Polymeric only produces it on demand these days. It's great for getting harder edges than you can do with green stuff though.

e: Yeah, here's the P3 brown stuff, which I'm 99% sure is Kneadatite Brown/Neutral: http://privateerpress.com/content/formula-p3-brownaluminum-putty

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 6, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Avenging Dentist posted:

How about cyanoacrylate being an accidental invention during WW2 when they were trying to make clear plastics for gun sights?

I like the story that CA+ superglue was created in Vietnam to seal wounds.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I have some brown stuff, it's great for sculpting blades because of its rigidness.

But yeah I'll see about the green stuff supply, my stock is low.

Rigid. What a fun word.

E: nobody has mentioned milliput. It's more brittle than green, and rigid like brown, but mostly I use it for bases. It's really good at replicating sandstone because of how it breaks. Just flatten out a lump of it, let it cure and break it up. I also see it fairly regularly at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 6, 2016

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Like a true rear end minis gamer, here's a thing for a game I'll probably never play.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hot drat that's a tasty bat man

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
And what a dope thing it is. The mold line on his knee is killing me though.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

DiHK posted:

E: nobody has mentioned milliput. It's more brittle than green, and rigid like brown, but mostly I use it for bases. It's really good at replicating sandstone because of how it breaks. Just flatten out a lump of it, let it cure and break it up. I also see it fairly regularly at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

Milliput is good stuff. If you can't find at a local hobby shop http://www.squadron.com/category-s/3340.htm (a link to their flier). They have pretty good prices. However ordering from them will probably put you on a permanent monthly mailing list... fortunately they have some good stuff at decent prices.

If your milliput breaks like stone you may be using the terracotta milliput.

I swear I'm not a shill!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

You try sewing a skintight suit with no visible seams. He's just a goddamn butler

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Not as much as it is me, I assure you. It's pretty tough to see at tabletop height so I guess I can deal.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone know where I could find a mini that looks sort of like this?

I guess it's quite humanoid looking so I could just buy something and narrow its nose down, but....

[Edit] Ah I think this is probably the closest I'm going to get

https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02222

But if anyone else has suggestions that'd be rad

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 8, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

How about this? https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/sea%20elf/latest/03140

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I guess it's quite humanoid looking so I could just buy something and narrow its nose down, but....

[Edit] Ah I think this is probably the closest I'm going to get

https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02222

But if anyone else has suggestions that'd be rad

Which parts are the most important and how good are your sculpting skills?

Reaper made (makes?) "scuplting blanks" or "sculpting dollies" but I couldn't find them on their site just now but it looks like you can still get them easily.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm pretty awful at the whole green stuff bit and don't really enjoy the "hobby" aspect of it. Just wanna paint mostly. It's the Doreen race from Savage World's 50 Fathoms game. They're like a sort-of dolphin humanoid thing, so just something along those lines I guess.

And that might work, Avenging Dentist. At least gives me something to search for too.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 8, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Flipswitch posted:

Hey goons, bit lost on a paint job and unsure how to tackle it further.

I painted up my first mini and was pretty happy with the outcome. But I decided to work on a second to see if I could come up with an alternate scheme I preferred and fancied giving orange a go, but something with it isn't quite coming out right:

The greys are a little bit different in each ship, the top uses more of a blue grey and the bottom ship is a bit darker in real life, my lamp has really lit the thing up.

I wanted to add some contrasting light grey panels on the second one to offset the orange, but I'm not really sure where to place it, it just isn't quite working yet as a colour theme? any suggestions? and which do you guys/gals think looks better?

The first model is finished and sealed, the second still has a bit to go but I'm a bit lost on it.

Hey what are these models? They look really awesome.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Dropfleet Commander, from the people that made Dropzone Commander. I've been meaning to check out the rules for it, the models are gorgeous.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sab669 posted:

You could try these, but I think they are all women.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Cross-posting from the terrain thread because :spooky:

With the Renedra tombstones on order, I'm cracking away at some larger portions of the graveyard I planned to do this month. The first one is just something I bashed together from the Bones Dragoth model and some cities of death bits, and the second is from the TTCombat graveyard set I got off the Oath thread a year ago or so. I'm probably not going to glue that mausoleum onto the base since I spent so much time on the inside, and it slots in pretty securely anyway.

I'm about to start casting pumpkins and jack o' lanterns, so when I get to the tombstones they're going to be maximum spoopy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Man I need to read up on how to take pictures because this model I'm trying to get looks even worse in these pictures than it does in person!

Also for folks that hand paint everything, do you still paint before completing assembly? Working on a Tau and those guys have some real obnoxious nooks and crannies. I'm gonna start in on some Malifaux soon and those I'm fine painting piece by piece but when assembling like 20 Warhams it seems pretty obnoxious to paint a piece before gluing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I assemble pretty much everything before I paint. If there's stuff that's in an awkward spot, I usually leave it separate for priming, basecoat, and then assemble.

If it's hard to get at with your brush, it's probably hard to see.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Painting malifaux pieces before you clip them sounds maddening to me. I'd think you're gonna have enough trouble gluing ankles to feet without getting layers of primer and paint in between.

If anything, warhammer makes more sense to me for paint-before-assembly because they're so insistent on filling every bit of surface with a million little details that will be hard to reach behind an enormous gun. Malifaux minis seem like they have a little more breathing room to me (i.e, sometimes there's just a guy with a shirt and a pair of pants and he doesn't have bracers or a necklace or bandoliers everywhere)

What crew are you starting?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ignite Memories posted:

Painting malifaux pieces before you clip them sounds maddening to me. I'd think you're gonna have enough trouble gluing ankles to feet without getting layers of primer and paint in between.

If anything, warhammer makes more sense to me for paint-before-assembly because they're so insistent on filling every bit of surface with a million little details that will be hard to reach behind an enormous gun. Malifaux minis seem like they have a little more breathing room to me (i.e, sometimes there's just a guy with a shirt and a pair of pants and he doesn't have bracers or a necklace or bandoliers everywhere)

What crew are you starting?
Viks

EDIT: Actually thinking about it, you're probably right. I'm fine scraping down primer to join stuff but the fact that there might be stuff I have to green stuff over, might as well just wait until those are assembled.

Here's that Tau I painted to see if I like the colors. I don't actually know how to properly drybrush or highlight this.

I've cleaned him up a little post picture like redoing the gun where blue wash got on him, but figure I wouldn't bother with more pictures until I have more models done.

I also know very little about basing a model, but I figure I can worry about that later.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 9, 2016

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

I also know very little about basing a model, but I figure I can worry about that later.

When I can't figure out how to base something I'll just clean up the base by painting it a solid color, usually black. That way I feel like it's done being painted.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Slimnoid posted:

Cross-posting from the terrain thread because :spooky:

Loving this skelebro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Please make a skeleton Snoopy for this.