Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Poison Mushroom posted:

I intend to be the Drunk Lesbian Aunt until the end of time... except I have no siblings.

Hahaha don't worry thats what friends kids are for. You'll be Aunt PMush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
For a moment, I just read "friends' kids" as "friend kids" and I spent a very long moment thinking of the best way to make a joke about toilet bowl moonshine.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

Very happy for you derp

Still makes me happy that you're writing that sci-fi story <3

Ill finish it someday! Have been making slow but steady progress this whole time so its not like a "yeah im writing a novel" situation where i stare at a blank page for hours every night then cry myself to sleep while putting on a "writer" persona with my friends during the day. Just, every other night

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Today i was sort of in between positions with my old team thinking i wasn't doing that job anymore and my new team not ready for me yet. So i watched 3 episodes of nick cage. Pretty drat good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr. F! posted:

Wanna co-mod a wifoa with me?

Yeah

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

gently caress yeah finally. Ok I'll finally buy pms and we can chat about the setup

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Lol how many times have you bought pms at this point

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Lmao lets see,

I bought them probably 2 or 3 times for MG.

Once for NLF.

Once or twice for MG2

Once for MG3

Only that many times

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

totino boy posted:

When "leggings as pants" finally goes out if style i will mourne silently and hold fond memories of these days for some time

man leggings as pants will never go out

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Mr. F! posted:

Wtf the panthers are so stupid. Why am I a fan of theirs

Reading this I thought we might have played tonight and goofed up and I had to rush to the internet to check and see if for some reason the NFL was playing on Friday. This season has been nothing but bad Newton decisions. . .

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Dr. Hurt posted:

Reading this I thought we might have played tonight and goofed up and I had to rush to the internet to check and see if for some reason the NFL was playing on Friday. This season has been nothing but bad Newton decisions. . .

Cutting a starting cornerback makes like no sense to me

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

If we made decisions that made sense we wouldn't be the Carolina Panthers.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
whoever was talking about games for new players I'm try and get Katamari Mafia rollin soon

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Kashuno posted:

whoever was talking about games for new players I'm try and get Katamari Mafia rollin soon

Katamari? Do your best.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Dr. Hurt posted:

If we made decisions that made sense we wouldn't be the Carolina Panthers.

This is very true. I've become resigned to the fact that we will always find a way to lose. My NC state fandom is merging with my panthers fandom lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This picnic feeling feels so good

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah, like the walking simulator example felt wrong to me because I see those as really changing the form of video games and broadening it.

So like then what's the difference between something failing form vs broadening it? That is where it starts getting complicated and I guess it's just a case by case thing.

There literally isn't. If something advertises itself as something (superhero movie, story based video game, whatever) and then it's a commercial and critical success, then congrats, the genre has changed to now fit that thing. To claim that it isn't a real <whatever> is to be a huge snob.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Mr. F! posted:

This is very true. I've become resigned to the fact that we will always find a way to lose. My NC state fandom is merging with my panthers fandom lol

Oh. . . oh I'm so sorry. How does it feel being the perpetual underdog? Sneered at on all sides by two teams who would rather fight each other than face you?

(I say this as someone whose brother is at State right now)

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Dr. Hurt posted:

Oh. . . oh I'm so sorry. How does it feel being the perpetual underdog? Sneered at on all sides by two teams who would rather fight each other than face you?

(I say this as someone whose brother is at State right now)

I've become numb. I went to state. I basically just ignore their athletics. Like I check the score but I cant bear to watch. No matter how well they play in the game, at the end they always find a way to lose.

One time we beat Duke though. My friend who went to Duke was a huge college sports fan (how can you not be when you go to Duke), I called him and razzed him about State beating Duke. He hung up on me and refused to talk to me for like two weeks.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Mr. F! posted:

I've become numb. I went to state. I basically just ignore their athletics. Like I check the score but I cant bear to watch. No matter how well they play in the game, at the end they always find a way to lose.

One time we beat Duke though. My friend who went to Duke was a huge college sports fan (how can you not be when you go to Duke), I called him and razzed him about State beating Duke. He hung up on me and refused to talk to me for like two weeks.

Yeah. I feel like that is the best path for survival as a state fan. That or become radicalized and be so rabidly pro-state that no matter what you will always be there and deny all reality that things might go poorly. I have met way too many of those state fans. I have a bunch of friends who went to state and they are all mostly like you. Check scores every now and then but don't expect miracles.

Any time someone beats Duke is a good time.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Kashuno posted:

Can I be King of All Cosmos and just poo poo talk everybody all game?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Like have my role be "stump who makes fun of things"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pmush are you still doing video game stories?

My fav game is called Crimefighter, it's a German DOS game that a middle school friend showed me where you try to be the baddest gang leader.

Like most things I like, I'm not sure whether it's genuinely my favourite game or if I arbitrarily decided it was a long time ago and can't tell the difference.

I used to play with my friend competitively and I developed an extremely efficient strategy of bribing the chief of police and cracking the safes of two adjacent banks repeatedly to accrue lots of cash in the early game.

My other fav games are harvest moon mm, portal 2, civ v and minecraft

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CapitalistPig posted:

Ok i need help with a 1 shot modern game i am running in a couple weeks, the story i have so far (and please suspend disbelief i understand its not an accurate representation of how it would work irl) is that a group of people wake up on a space station , in orbit around earth and the last thing they remember is just being in their normal lives on earth and seeing a big flash in the sky. One of them is an astronaut / mechanical engineer and pilots them back to earth because the station begins to go critical to find that there is no one else left but them and everything on the planet is covered in a greasy pink film. There are huge man sized bug creatures (think thri keen from dnd) everywhere trying to kill them and they hole up in an old government underground facility under Washington DC and slowly unravel the mystery of what happened. The part i need help with is , well, what happened? I can't think of anything good.

Kashuno already suggested bioweapons/nuclear war but that is like so typical.

I want something that'll really pop.

I need something i can split up into clues to spread through the facility that the characters can use their knoweldge from before this event plus the clues to piece together what happened over the course of a 4-6 hour game.

I figured it out, thanks for the suggestions but I think I am going to make it that Alien beings have made Earth their next location for the universes favorite new Game Show "Hey! That's My Planet!"

Wherein a planets inhabitants are abducted en masse and held in suspension and the fate of their world is left in the hands of four of the primitive species that inhabit it! They must face off against the winners of last season The Insectoid Ga'Lex!

This of course is only done to primitive planets, wouldn't want this happening to any civilized planets of course.

So instead of lots of bug guys it will be a team of four that is hunting them down and i'm moving it from Washington DC to New York.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

There literally isn't. If something advertises itself as something (superhero movie, story based video game, whatever) and then it's a commercial and critical success, then congrats, the genre has changed to now fit that thing. To claim that it isn't a real <whatever> is to be a huge snob.

This isn't what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with genre.

Like great artists tend to go into types. Guys who are just about ideas at the core of their work, and people obsessed with the form of media they are working on and innovating it and reinventing it(this is where I see walking sim developers are fitting in) Of course there is also overlap and crossover, and the idea guys are still going to be good at form, it's just not their focus.

But like form is what the media is. I think something can fail as a movie (but this doesn't preclude it from being a movie or even art), but the idea in it succeeds or works somehow. So it's still not a good movie, but the idea part of it works and it speaks to you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also when I'm saying idea it's not so much liking something conceptually but that can be part of it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Snooze Cruise posted:

This isn't what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with genre.

Like great artists tend to go into types. Guys who are just about ideas at the core of their work, and people obsessed with the form of media they are working on and innovating it and reinventing it(this is where I see walking sim developers are fitting in) Of course there is also overlap and crossover, and the idea guys are still going to be good at form, it's just not their focus.

But like form is what the media is. I think something can fail as a movie (but this doesn't preclude it from being a movie or even art), but the idea in it succeeds or works somehow. So it's still not a good movie, but the idea part of it works and it speaks to you.

tl;dr

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think I get what pbcapsnooze is saying. I once ran a mafia game (a vulgar form of art) where I intended to do something very difficult and had I been successful in achieving my goals it would have been a very meaningful and powerful experience for the town, very awareness-expanding. But mostly because of my own failures I did not achieve my goals. And yet, aside from the unpleasant reveal post-game when the full setup was displayed, up to then all the players had a very good time playing it and had really intense conversations and negotiations (classic mafia stuff). So I consider the game a kind of success, even though I didn't achieve my goals, and even though many of the players after the game were (not unreasonably) sore about it.

I think.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Hey. Anyone have any guides or tips on being better town? I'm amazing at scum. (when I play) but loving terrible at town. I can't read people for poo poo. I'm just a really good liar and very convincing (Kashuno knows this. He's seen me in real life and knows how ugly I am yet somehow I'm married)

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I intend to be the Drunk Lesbian Aunt until the end of time... except I have no siblings.

When my wife and I have kids you can come over and smoke marlboro 100's and we'll tell the kids your between jobs and just trying to find your Ellen.

Sound good?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

When my wife and I have kids you can come over and smoke marlboro 100's and we'll tell the kids your between jobs and just trying to find your Ellen.

Sound good?

I just want to take this time to post about my good friend Jimson.

Jimson is a man, who, when asked, would gladly smear peanut butter allllllll over a slice of bread, and then on another slice slowly and seductively spread jelly. And why is he doing this, because you, his friend, are on his doorstep, hungry and in need. Does Jimson ask for any thanks? gently caress no. He just wishes you a happy merry day and keeps on spreading that jelly.

Jimson is a great man.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hey. Anyone have any guides or tips on being better town? I'm amazing at scum. (when I play) but loving terrible at town. I can't read people for poo poo. I'm just a really good liar and very convincing (Kashuno knows this. He's seen me in real life and knows how ugly I am yet somehow I'm married)

Pay attention to the game. When you pay attention and try you actually do pretty decently.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sound good?
1) I had to quit smoking because it interacts poorly with my hormones. (TWO MONTHS WITHOUT A SMOKE MOTHERFUCKERS :toot: :woop:)
2) I'm really more of a Joan Jett than an Ellen.

Do what I do, ask questions. When you have the answer to those questions, ask more questions related to the answers.

Pull the thread, and watch the sweater unravel.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

i usually just cast detect evil.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm still proud of Zodiac Mafia. That game was a shitshow masterstroke. Highlight of the thread though, was someone getting dunked because their real claim contradicted my fakeclaim. :allears:

What happened was that my zodiac, Sagittarius, happened to be 'opposite' a 1-shot Dayvig.... so I claimed 1-shot Nightvig, with the flavor reason of shooting an arrow at someone. Not only did they buy it, I essentially became Confirmed Town, and "opposite sides have opposite/mirrored rolls" got somebody killed because their claim didn't match the opposites theme. :allears:

Paraphrased 8bux quote: "Every day you get THIS close to getting lynched and then some new bullshit happens."

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 8, 2016

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That actually happened to me in three straight games, because SA Mafia is by and large criminally stupid

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Also I may not recall properly but I think at least one of the games let the faker slide because reasons

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think if you get dunked three games in a row, you need to start considering that other people might not be the problem.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

there's very little correlation between how well or poorly I've been playing and whether or not I get lynched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

I just love the Vigilante 8 game. Where I claimed the time travelling future version of someone else's character, and the thread ate it up like hot cakes.