Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tef posted:

comic sans was designed by an expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
hating on comic sans is what nerds do when they want to be elitist about a subject they also know nothing about, but isn't computers

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I wasn't hating on comic sans

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shaggar is better than the coc .net thread because he is always right and coc is always wrong

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

qntm posted:

I wasn't hating on comic sans

it's a fair comparison

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
also I like JavaScript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I love using .NET and c# at work but I kind of hate the CoC .NET thread.

its bad. they like orms and EF

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The official Higgs announcement talk was entirely in comic sans, but it could be worse. I once saw a presentation where every slide was written in papyrus.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

VikingofRock posted:

The official Higgs announcement talk was entirely in comic sans, but it could be worse. I once saw a presentation where every slide was written in papyrus.
there was that libressl announcement, which used what they called "weaponized comic sans" in order to get people to donate

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

tef posted:

comic sans was designed by an expert

so wingdings

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tef posted:

hating on comic sans is what nerds do when they want to be elitist about a subject they also know nothing about, but isn't computers

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tef posted:

one of the best things i ever did was to stop automatically hating things just because they were popular or because other people in my social group hated them. i have way more fun now. internet people in general are way too eager to declare things poo poo just to feel cool.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

javascript is best imo if you write it in that crappy functional style where everything is anonymous functions that you immediately call

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the problem with comic sans was ubiquity

it doesn't matter that it was expertly designed. seeing it used everywhere to communicate the most anodyne and banal messages raises hackles

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

javascript is best imo if you write it in that crappy functional style where everything is anonymous functions that you immediately call

yes it's best if you ... do what the language requires you to do, because it's loving broken?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

fart simpson posted:

javascript is best imo if you convince some other idiot to write it while working with something pleasant

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

leper khan posted:

javascript is best imo if you convince some other idiot to write it while working with something pleasant

mega agreedo

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Shaggar posted:

its bad. they like orms and EF

haha yup. That was one of the things that seemed to piss them off, too, when I said I prefer not to use orm.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

one of the best things i ever did was to stop automatically hating things just because they were popular or because other people in my social group hated them. i have way more fun now. internet people in general are way too eager to declare things poo poo just to feel cool.

Totally :agreed:, and I think this is very offputting about about a lot of nerd communities.

In this particular case though I just think comic sans (and papyrus) are ugly fonts. I won't say that they are bad fonts, because I don't know anything about font design. But I do think they are ugly.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yo speaking of fonts what in the gently caress http://blog.typekit.com/2016/09/14/variable-fonts-a-new-kind-of-font-for-flexible-design/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
typekit is the worst.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VikingofRock posted:

Totally :agreed:, and I think this is very offputting about about a lot of nerd communities.

In this particular case though I just think comic sans (and papyrus) are ugly fonts. I won't say that they are bad fonts, because I don't know anything about font design. But I do think they are ugly.

comic sans is not particularly ugly per se

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

VikingofRock posted:

can I get comic sans in mono?

I want to be able to switch vim to it for meetings/code review/whatnot

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

leper khan posted:

can I get comic sans in mono?

I want to be able to switch vim to it for meetings/code review/whatnot
yes https://github.com/belluzj/fantasque-sans

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

other than that atrocious 'k' this seems totally fine for programmin'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

other than that atrocious 'k' this seems totally fine for programmin'
good because there's a version without it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol GEM's drawing routines support RoundRects but I guess letting you use them in dialogs was too far so buttons are all rectangles with pointy corners

It didn't save DRI from getting their rear end sued off by Apple

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Zaxxon posted:

code:

var x = {}
var y = {}
var z = {}

x[y] = "get money smoke dust"

x[z] === x[y] //returns true

x[z] === x["[object Object]"]

are you loving serious

i hope i haven't accidentally written code using objects as keys because holy lol this exactly what i would not expect

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the "p" in "plang" stands for "production quality"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shaman Linavi posted:

all i know about code is if i need some i go on snackoverflow and find something close and then head over to the ide and change stuff until it works

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

one of the posters in the gray forum c# thread is on the core language team and regularly chimes in on language design stuff and async things which is p cool

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Blinkz0rz posted:

btw this is most people's experience and then they bloo bloo about how javascript is a terrible language when the copy paste job they cobbled together breaks down in production.

exactly.

people who don't know the language and don't want to learn it copy-pasting poo poo together until it seems to work. i don't think that is acceptable in any other language.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Blinkz0rz posted:

i loving hate software "engineers" so much. there's currently a conversation in the newbie thread in coc about coming in late and how people get annoyed at them and why shouldn't they be able to waltz in at noon?

loving man-children with a god complex each and every one of them

link?

(i don't think there is anything wrong about working weird hours as long as poo poo gets done, but don't expect any support from me before 8-9am and after 4-5pm unless something is on fire.)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

exactly.

people who don't know the language and don't want to learn it copy-pasting poo poo together until it seems to work. i don't think that is acceptable in any other language.

uh, i have some bad news for you

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Blinkz0rz posted:

i loving hate software "engineers" so much. there's currently a conversation in the newbie thread in coc about coming in late and how people get annoyed at them and why shouldn't they be able to waltz in at noon?

i work with a bunch of people that regularly come in at 11am or so. it's really great for me because i'm a morning person and generally get in by 8am. that's a lot of not having to listing to coworkers + getting a bunch of stuff done without minor distractions. i'll schedule any meetings after lunch and then spend the rest of the day pair programming, task managing, or helping out my team if they need it. if it wasn't for late starters i don't think i'd get any time to program.

stramit fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 8, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

comic papyrus is my personal favorite

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

tef posted:

have you looked at it lately? it has terrible metrics. poo poo wouldn't fly nowadays, it's a really bad font. granted, they didn't have open type back then, but iirc even the glyph shapes are pretty inconsistent

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol just lol if you work somewhere that people care what time you come and go. do you also have to fill in a detailed time card and wear a suit and tie? lol at your literal wage slave life

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
javascript as a language isn't really worse than php or ruby or whatever really. its not good, but it's not the worst ever either

javascript as an ecosystem is a garbage fire of which we have never seen the like. this includes the browsers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

someone tried to convince me that vba was superior to using c# and sql because 'i can just create objects myself instead of having to insert them into a db with a script'

i said 'yeah but you still have to write that object so how is that any different? You've gotta create the basic data somehow' he said 'well i guess you're stuck with inherited code...'

im pretty sure that they store everything as strings and use excel as the db.

• Locked thread