Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
At least we don't have to do specific nonsense to level anymore. No more hunting for stalkers or standing around welding and un-welding doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Alteisen posted:

More companies should do like Marvel heroes where every max level whatever gives you an exp boost to the rest.

This is what I meant with my poorly worded question.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Levelling up Medic seems to be the least fun but at least I can poo poo out gas at max rank.

Is there any way to find out the damage of some of these perks? like the medic poison bullets or ground fire for Firebug? Or even stumble levels of guns? SWAT has a perk to increase the chance to stumble Zeds by 100% but I have no idea if the base level is any good. double gently caress all is still gently caress all.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah the grind in kf2 is kind of staggering. I only have two perks at 15 after all my time spent and there's supposed to be like 250 levels between the classes. its not like you're gaining a level a match.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Levelling up Medic seems to be the least fun but at least I can poo poo out gas at max rank.

Is there any way to find out the damage of some of these perks? like the medic poison bullets or ground fire for Firebug? Or even stumble levels of guns? SWAT has a perk to increase the chance to stumble Zeds by 100% but I have no idea if the base level is any good. double gently caress all is still gently caress all.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GDpg2mN1l_86U_RaDug0glFx8cZCuErwxZLiBKl9SyY/edit?pli=1#gid=1502265493

Enjoy! :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet, cheers dude. :)

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 2, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah the grind in kf2 is kind of staggering. I only have two perks at 15 after all my time spent and there's supposed to be like 250 levels between the classes. its not like you're gaining a level a match.

I have zerk at 25, medic at 25, commando and support at 18 or so and everything else at 0, really don't feel like grinding the other classes.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I have everything at 25 except SWAT. I just kinda lost the drive to play and don't even care enough to cheat it up.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqGTupsajQ

I don't know why but every custom map I've been playing lately has done nothing but spawn Bloats and making us fight the Patriarch.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Somebody asked why they nerfed Firebug damage, and I think I discovered why.

Firebug is extremely broken in hell on earth. There's so many zeds all next to each other, so if you have the splodey skill you'll often clear entire rooms by yourself. If you have the alternate skill, the one that makes zeds reignite each other when they bump into one another, it also does flat damage when they reignite. Both translate into you killing entire clumps of zeds (and not just weak and stupid Cyst, big stuff like Bloats, Sirens, and Gorefasts) with a single flamethrower puff. By the end of the game, I was responsible for around 480 kills and did the most damage, ahead the Demolitions, Support, and Berserker, utilizing just the flamethrower and trenchgun the entire game.

I remember a while back, Tripwire said that they balance the game around hell on earth, which is very silly, but at least now I can kind of understand where their weird balance decisions come from.

Firebug is still awful against bosses, though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Haven't played this for Many Moons and when I came back Firebug felt like garbage. Guess I know why now, but having a relatively low level class that feels just awful to play until you grind it up is pretty unappealing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Theta Zero posted:

Somebody asked why they nerfed Firebug damage, and I think I discovered why.

Firebug is extremely broken in hell on earth. There's so many zeds all next to each other, so if you have the splodey skill you'll often clear entire rooms by yourself. If you have the alternate skill, the one that makes zeds reignite each other when they bump into one another, it also does flat damage when they reignite. Both translate into you killing entire clumps of zeds (and not just weak and stupid Cyst, big stuff like Bloats, Sirens, and Gorefasts) with a single flamethrower puff. By the end of the game, I was responsible for around 480 kills and did the most damage, ahead the Demolitions, Support, and Berserker, utilizing just the flamethrower and trenchgun the entire game.

I remember a while back, Tripwire said that they balance the game around hell on earth, which is very silly, but at least now I can kind of understand where their weird balance decisions come from.

Firebug is still awful against bosses, though.

That's dumb, if you're going to balance a game it should be balanced around either Normal or Hard

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

That's dumb, if you're going to balance a game it should be balanced around either Normal or Hard

They did that with KF 1, balanced it around normal. Everything they added afterwards had powercreep.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drrockso20 posted:

I feel they should set Hard to be default difficulty, putting training wheels on Normal - given that is where people should start -, make the game harder for Suicidal and then going all gently caress YOU on Hell on Earth.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Friendly reminder that a power creep benefiting the player is ok, this is a coop game, not a competition.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alteisen posted:

Friendly reminder that a power creep benefiting the player is ok, this is a coop game, not a competition.

Agreed

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Alteisen posted:

I always compete against my friends for most kills :smuggo:

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

They could balance around Suicidal as a compromise too, but I guess that would make sense :shrug:

Alteisen posted:

:yeah:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

Friendly reminder the playerbase of this game are a bunch of retards. I point again to the .50 cal nerf in KF 1.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

brocretin posted:

They could balance around Suicidal as a compromise too, but I guess that would make sense :shrug:

I feel like the game is just right on suicidal. You see all the attacks zeds have, there's no hidden damage bonuses in favor of the player, you can't just be a one-man army for everything, there's a decent amount of zeds, and a reasonable amount of challenge. Normal is brainlessly easy and hard is only slightly less so. Hell on earth as is now is just the right amount of spicy, although it encourages some rather bizarre team compositions. I just won prison with a Berserker, two Firebugs, and two Supports along with a Medic, and all we did was have the Berserker be our flexible attacker, the Firebugs cover a single entrance, and the two Supports work together to constantly have the second exit's door always welded and repaired.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I don't know why they would balance around any particular difficulty level at all. There are only a few of them so why not just balance each one separately? Make Normal super easy for starters or lovely players (like me and my friends) where the weapons have tons of penetration and range etc and make HoE supremely hard where you make it through only 10% of the games or whatever it is that appeals to the hardcore. Why should they all be linked in some way with one algorithm to rule them all?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Theta Zero posted:

I feel like the game is just right on suicidal. You see all the attacks zeds have, there's no hidden damage bonuses in favor of the player, you can't just be a one-man army for everything, there's a decent amount of zeds, and a reasonable amount of challenge. Normal is brainlessly easy and hard is only slightly less so. Hell on earth as is now is just the right amount of spicy, although it encourages some rather bizarre team compositions. I just won prison with a Berserker, two Firebugs, and two Supports along with a Medic, and all we did was have the Berserker be our flexible attacker, the Firebugs cover a single entrance, and the two Supports work together to constantly have the second exit's door always welded and repaired.

wait did they fix the welding on this game or do doors still stay broken?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
If you're support, you can fix any broken door by welding it for 200% of your welder's energy (for any door's health).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Gromit posted:

I don't know why they would balance around any particular difficulty level at all. There are only a few of them so why not just balance each one separately? Make Normal super easy for starters or lovely players (like me and my friends) where the weapons have tons of penetration and range etc and make HoE supremely hard where you make it through only 10% of the games or whatever it is that appeals to the hardcore. Why should they all be linked in some way with one algorithm to rule them all?

Because balancing games is hard and look we spent a lot of time on this game mechanic and we really don't want to take it back out :saddowns:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

Friendly reminder the playerbase of this game are a bunch of retards. I point again to the .50 cal nerf in KF 1.

You'll no argument from me there, thing is the M99 was kind of retarded, an off perk anything could absolutely murder the patriarch with it, the problem is that Trip nerfed in the worst way possible which is what they tend to do, if they just dropped the damage a bit it would have worked, instead they made it so you couldn't do afford it pretty much.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You could afford it, you just couldn't afford ammo for it afterwards. :v:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Skoll posted:

You could afford it, you just couldn't afford ammo for it afterwards. :v:

I had to look this up, £6250 for full reload :eyepop:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MadBimber posted:

I had to look this up, £6250 for full reload :eyepop:

We used to have two guys with M99 in KF1 and the rest of the team would just funnel them dosh for ammo at the boss wave while sticking to side arms or tier 1s, depending on cashflow. It was insane but the M99 really did put Pat down pretty quick.

My favorite is still chainsaw stunlock trick but Tripwire got rid of that fairly quick.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I understand the Firebug nerf as well. I've found myself creeping up towards 700+ kills on HoE on some maps as the lone firebug. The ground fire and napalm perks just destroy every zed apart from husks, scrakes and fleshpounds. Even then, you can hold your own against the bigger zeds if you use heatwave to cause stumbling until help arrives. I went from level 17 to 25 in less than a week (which is fast for me).

With that being said, I didn't use the microwave gun once. That thing is trash and I hope they look at buffing it if they nerf the flamethrower and caulk n burn.

What are everyone's favorite stock maps? Mine, in no particular order:

1.) Farmhouse
2.) Evacuation Point
3.) Prison
4.) Internal Realms

I really miss Bedlam, Aperture, Hillbilly Horror, Foundry, and Farm. The KF2 maps are fun but it just feels like the original KF1 maps just had something special about them... maybe its just nostalgia.

Severed fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 12, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Yeah, the microwave gun is just garbage now. It can't even quickly kill the things it's meant to be good against (being anything with metal: Gorefasts, Bloats, Sirens); at least not as fast as your supposedly piddly and weak caulk'n'burn.

Also my favorite maps are Burning Paris, Prison, Outpost, and Farmhouse. I'd like Catacombs a bit more because I really like how downright dark the map can get, but the level design is very cramped and it's easy to get trapped between zeds when you're running and gunning, on top of the fact that people don't tend to move from the center area.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gave Firebug another try and just stuck to the flamethrower instead of Microwave, and that helped a lot. Also reading through the perk list it sounds like almost every Firebug perk worth taking specifically mentions fire, but I assume that means the Microwave doesn't benefit from it?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

My favorite is still chainsaw stunlock trick but Tripwire got rid of that fairly quick.

It was in there for a good year or more iirc, until they gave the Pat that dump AoE pushback move. But that was pretty late in KF1's life wasn't it?

I would always go Firebug and chuck grenades at him while the other 5 sawed away, I did the math once and I think the bonus damage from burning enemies made up for having one less 'zerker chainsaw in the mix.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

It was in there for a good year or more iirc, until they gave the Pat that dump AoE pushback move. But that was pretty late in KF1's life wasn't it?

I would always go Firebug and chuck grenades at him while the other 5 sawed away, I did the math once and I think the bonus damage from burning enemies made up for having one less 'zerker chainsaw in the mix.

I don't remember how long it went on for, honestly. KF hardly being the only game I played. I just remember them patching soon after I personally found out about it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I guess there's no Halloween event?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I guess there's no Halloween event?

Not till the game is out of EA.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791434017605/announcements/detail/956279532515988113

The first built of the Survivalist skill tree was announced. They said they are planning on making a working build by early November for the beta players to test, and that they're looking for suggestions for that double bladed Gorefast, because they best they have is the "More Gore Faster."

I'd suggest "Doublade" but that's a Pokemon, apparently.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

quote:

start with ... a random tier 1 weapon

No.

And really, no to everything else. "Here, pick from the two options we've already selected for you, and be ineffective with both of them!"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Gonna go ahead and agree with the first comment. Scrap the survivalist, ship with 9 classes, and just put your dev time towards something else. Add a 10th perk once once you have something interesting because my god that page sounds incredibly unappealing.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
You know, I do see one thing maybe being good:

quote:

Spontaneous Zed-plosion - Zeds you kill have a 20% chance to explode, damaging and knocking down nearby Zeds

If this is the same thing as the Firebug explosion, then going to town on groups of Zeds with something like a .500 would probably yield fantastic results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

This looks... really bad. I think pretty much everyone can agree on that, too.

Tripwire :cripes:

e; also as colosmicon pointed out to me, they are totally out of money :rip:

brocretin fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 21, 2016