Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
All of this is so unbelievable, the whole Trump thing, how terrible some people really are and how the other primary campaigns tried to use him against each other instead of taking him out. They wanted to be the last guy standing against Trump.

I really wonder how this plays out now. This is just :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

kaesarsosei posted:

I don't want to offend anyone but the image that gets portrayed here is that the kind of people who want to vote Trump can't be dissuaded by loving anything.

Well, the fact that Trump's polls go down disproves this.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

At the very least, Trump is going to rattle off some right wing conspiracy talking points and get shut down by Clinton.

If we're lucky, a sleep-deprived Trump shows up and goes nuts.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

kaesarsosei posted:

I am from N.Ireland and hate/fear Trump more than is probably reasonable. But before I get my hopes up, can anyone persuade me that this latest episode is not hyperbole and it really should be the death knell of Trump's chances?

I don't want to offend anyone but the image that gets portrayed here is that the kind of people who want to vote Trump can't be dissuaded by loving anything.

If he only retains his current base he loses in a landslide unseen in generation. A holding pattern only helps Clinton.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

:words: When I was doing my political science degree one thing that struck me on the political theory side was the concept of politics as the art of the possible. As in, politics is about figuring out what can happen and then picking the one "can happen" that you want to accomplish, or trying to expand the reach of "can happen."

What I'm coming at here is that a Presidential election in the US has followed a fairly regimented pattern for the past several decades and cycles. You have ceremonies, you have norms, you have unwritten rules and regulations on how things work. You have debates, you have attack ads, you have other ads. You have decorum. E.g. in 1980 Ted Kennedy tried to primary Jimmy Carter, Jimmy Carter tried to avoid campaigning in the primary but ended up having to, it was a shitshow but still a shitshow within the established rules.

Now, however, we've basically entered the Twilight Zone. No one can be sure of what can or will happen. Trump might spend tomorrow night trying handstands or he might walk out of the debate after fifteen minutes. He might rip his shirt off and thump his chest like a gorilla. It's the sort of thing that had people like me excited at the prospect of a contested convention because the unexpected can happen. Well, now we're getting a whole heaping of unexpected.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

kaesarsosei posted:

I am from N.Ireland and hate/fear Trump more than is probably reasonable. But before I get my hopes up, can anyone persuade me that this latest episode is not hyperbole and it really should be the death knell of Trump's chances?

Members of Trump's own party are condemning him and rescinding their support. That has never happened one month away from a presidential election.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

comingafteryouall posted:

If we're lucky, a sleep-deprived Trump shows up and goes nuts.

What do you mean if? In the last 24 hours, he's had people scream about the Central Park Five, the UN denunciation, and now Pussyghazi. Not only that, Conway took away his phone, so he hasn't had the chance to tweet every stupid thought at all hours of the night. He's gonna flame out by 9:05, and the remaining 85 minutes are going to be amazing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I really think we're seeing the death of the sixth party system. The generation of the Southern Strategy and the Republican Party as we know it are fading out, and for the first time in almost 200 years we're going to have two back-to-back Democratic Presidents without one of them dying- who the gently caress knows where we go from here

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ralph Reid was just on NPR being asked about the comments. He is taking the position that it does not matter as long as Trump is anti-abortion.

Scott Simon was not letting him off easy and even asked if he would allow his daughters to work on the Trump campaign.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

Members of Trump's own party are condemning him and rescinding their support. That has never happened one month away from a presidential election.

Yes it has, see Bob Dole 1996.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Ralph Reid was just on NPR being asked about the comments. He is taking the position that it does not matter as long as he is anti-abortion.

Scott Simon was not letting him off easy and even asked if he would allow his daughters to work on the Trump campaign.

If you stripped away everything else, what % of people vote entirely on that one issue? I know my aunt is one of them, at least.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Trump's campaign is like an old pre Wright brothers flying machine. Crazy wings, propellers, moving parts, and all these other things that look like they might work if you don't know anything about flight. The builders are sure that it has a chance, but then they push it off the cliff to start flying, and the poor rear end in a top hat sitting in it is completely taken by surprise when he drops like a stone.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
So, what strategy does Trump take on Sunday? Does he go for the remorseful route, apologize, then plead that they stick to the issues? Or does he make it a marathon of low blow hail marys and throw anything to see if it sticks?

The remorseful route and showing a human side(or faking it) is probably the only way he can weather the storm that's going to hit him.

He's probably hosed anyway though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

We already know what Trump's strategy is going to be and that's why I will tune in:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chromatic posted:

So, what strategy does Trump take on Sunday? Does he go for the remorseful route, apologize, then plead that they stick to the issues? Or does he make it a marathon of low blow hail marys and throw anything to see if it sticks?

The remorseful route and showing a human side(or faking it) is probably the only way he can weather the storm that's going to hit him.

He's going to open by accusing Hillary of being a rapist.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's still going to be assholes who will still vote for him and this country will still be populated by assholes. Hopefully not as many as I thought, but still populated by assholes.

God, this bastard better not win.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chromatic posted:

"So what, its not as if I got a blow job in the oval office and then tried to weasel out of it." would be a good way.

But as its Donald it will be more like "No I did not say that, crooked Hillary is being crooked again."

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Pollyanna posted:

There's still going to be assholes who will still vote for him and this country will still be populated by assholes. Hopefully not as many as I thought, but still populated by assholes.

Even when everything went right for him in September, he still couldn't close the deal and get a realistic map of over 270 electoral votes. He's never done that at any point. He's going to lose. Hopefully it will be by quite a lot.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I was sick and spent almost all day yesterday in bed. Anyone got a good article(s) summary? Could use a concise recap on what I missed.

Trump touched a girl and he liked it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Hey, I guess there were some more Hillary email hack trickle-outs released in the hours after the trump comments started blowing up.

The timing just reinforces the fact that wikileaks are in Russia's pocket/trump supporters, if not acting in direct collusion with the trump campaign itself. But will the content of the leaks have any effect on the debate ramp-up news cycle, or the polls?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Hey, I guess there were some more Hillary email hack trickle-outs released in the hours after the trump comments started blowing up.

The timing just reinforces the fact that wikileaks are in Russia's pocket/trump supporters, if not acting in direct collusion with the trump campaign itself. But will the content of the leaks have any effect on the debate ramp-up news cycle, or the polls?

All I know about that latest e-mail leak is that it had one top Clinton Campaign official communicating with lower level Clinton Campaign officials. I missed what exactly was in them.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Pollyanna posted:

Millions of people will look at everything he has said and done, and still decide, "Yep, pussy grabber is my guy!". Which is just unfathomable to me. I'm somewhat dreading Sunday's debate. It will be utterly vile and disgusting. Nothing is off the table, anything could happen. Trump is cornered and he's snarling and... ugh.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 8, 2016

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/784748039248359424

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Ralph Reid was just on NPR being asked about the comments. He is taking the position that it does not matter as long as Trump is anti-abortion.

The only reason Tiffany Trump was born was because Marla Maples rejected Donald's calls for her to have an abortion.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm still stunned from Kristol successfully predicting that Hillary would decisively win the first debate.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

All I know about that latest e-mail leak is that it had one top Clinton Campaign official communicating with lower level Clinton Campaign officials. I missed what exactly was in them.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/john-podesta-wikileaks-hacked-emails-229304

quote:

"My dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders, some time in the future with energy that is as green and sustainable as we can get it, powering growth and opportunity for every person in the hemisphere,” Clinton told a Brazilian bank in 2013. She added, “We have to resist, protectionism, other kinds of barriers to market access.”

All of Alex Jones' greatest fears.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Chromatic posted:

I'm pretty sure that Trump is incapable of taking the 'remorseful route'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

All of Alex Jones' greatest fears.

Up there beside his fear of dieting.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Wow, that's almost as bad as 'everybody should make sure they're hydrated and children should be given healthy food'

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Antti posted:

Him or, say, Ben Sasse won't survive the white-hot ball of rage that is the Republican primary electorate.

I am pretty sure that GOP operatives are going to straight up murder anyone that isn't an empty suit that runs in 2020.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Isn't it a town hall debate on specific topics? Surely they won't change up the questions too much.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

im gay posted:

Isn't it a town hall debate on specific topics? Surely they won't change up the questions too much.

It's going to be brought up

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Expectations are so high for a Trump melt down now and after the debate is folksy and boring he will get that sweet back in the race narrative going.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

flashman posted:

Expectations are so high for a Trump melt down now and after the debate is folksy and boring he will get that sweet back in the race narrative going.

i am pretty sure he's incapable of not melting down

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

flashman posted:

He couldn't make it past 30 minutes of a town hall with his own supporters. He's toast.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

Trump would need to give the greatest debate performance in history to get out of the hole he's currently in. (Spoiler alert: he won't.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump's going to go on the the attack because that's what he always does. It's straight up Roy Cohn strategy.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

im gay posted:

Whoever's curating the questions will very carefully make sure that none of the audience questions have anything to do with grabbing anyone by the anywhere, or anything that could be construed as having anything to do with anything like that. I'm almost certain that the moderator won't bring up the video either. But that doesn't matter, because Trump does not do "answering the actual question", "staying on topic", or "not going into a rage when he doesn't get applause and cheering" very well. He was forced to apologize for the contents of the video and he couldn't even go for a standard politician non-apology - he had to mention that Bill Clinton (who isn't even the one running for president!) is worse. His supporters are desperately focusing on the language being naughty and just as desperately trying to avoid having to notice that he was bragging about actually committing sexual assault.

According to this article from all of eighteen hours ago, "Trump's handlers [succeeded] at getting the candidate to participate Thursday in simulation of Sunday's debate. The results were not promising: Even with a friendly moderator gently lobbing softball questions in front of a hand-picked audience, Trump struggled to stick to talking points, and lasted less than a third of the time he will be on stage Sunday. And in those scant 30 minutes, Trump managed to insult no fewer than ten people, places and things."

All of the questions could be things like, "Mr. Trump, are horsies pretty?" and it wouldn't help. :getin:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

im gay posted:

a.lo posted:

It's going to be brought up

"Hello, I am a working mother, have 3 kids. And I would like to ask Mr Trump would he like to grab my pussy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zonohedron posted:

All of the questions could be things like, "Mr. Trump, are horsies pretty?" and it wouldn't help. :getin:

Remember the word salad he gave after he was asked if he would support Hillary if she won.

• Locked thread