Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Stultus Maximus posted:

So is November the Battle of Berlin or Nagasaki?

I'll go for Berlin, April, 1945 because Trump is not going to surrender plus it's sooner than August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

remusclaw posted:

All these disavowals, will they help or hurt the under ticket? On the one side, it gives the self avowed deplorable all the reasons in the world to say gently caress the establishment and either not vote because the poo poo is rigged or to only vote top of the ticket. On the other side, having lost the top of the ticket, do the non-deplorable Republicans even turn out?

They can only hurt, Trump has a hardcore 30% or so who will support Cheeto Benito no matter what. If Trump leaves the ticket, a lot of them just won't vote. If Trump stays on, he will probably encourage them to not vote for downticket Republicans.

Really I think the GOP establishment's best option is to sever with Trump as hard and fast as possible and devote all their effort to salvaging downticket races. It's not a matter of whether they're hosed, but how much they can damage control in one month. This probably puts the House in play.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
McCain's website is basically getting DDoS'ed by people trying to read his statement.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pellisworth posted:

Didn't both Access Hollywood and NBC have the pussy grabbin' tape since earlier in the week and were going to release stories, but there was an anonymous leak that gave it to another source?

Access Hollywood is an NBC property, the Access Hollywood producer who found the tape was working with NBC News to release it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stairmaster posted:

I'd like to know how that parts gonna happen.

Do you know what will happen when a good 1 in 4 Americans believes that the election results are illegitimate because they boycotted the vote? I don't, because nothing of the sort has happened in modern times. The last time an election was viewed as that illegitimate, it was 1860.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hollismason posted:

I'd actually like to hear more about this story of your friend. What did he do?

Dug up her school and warned them that A) based on her getting fairly loudly mad (on the internet) at him and his cronies, she clearly has anger issues, and B) she has admitted to owning and carrying a firearm, therefore C) she is a school shooting risk.

I never said it was a very good attempt, and I'm not sure if I would be more angry or less if it was a good attempt. Got sorted out in one or two meetings to the effect of "some rear end in a top hat is expressing concerns about your mental state, what's up?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

porfiria posted:

It's interesting how, optically, this looks like a few dozen rich guys versus the entire Republican population, but obviously the kinds of people that turn out to demonstrate aren't representative--I wonder if Paul Ryan et al have calculated how many people they'd lose to a Trump war--the white identity people vs. everyone else (evangelicals/Randroids/suburbanites/rich). Obviously the former have some acolytes among all the latter group. Still, at the end of the day, Trump didn't exactly dominate the primaries. If it came down to it I can't believe it's more than, say, 30% of the voting population.

Essentially all races are won by a margin no greater than about 60-40. If half of GOP voters stay home, every single seat goes to the Democrats. If 30% stay home, most of them will still probably go blue.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Agreed. Luther "Luke Skyywalker" Campbell for President.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah as much as everyone's talking about an anti-Trump revolt these people still make up the backbone of the party and aren't going anywhere any time soon.

That's what makes this great! I was expecting the Do Nothing party to sit on their hands till 2018 and try to win big in the mid terms but if they are tearing each other apart that might not actually happen. Loud local Republicans are Trump loyalists that will be roasting anyone who repudiates him but absolutely any Republican with national ambitions has to.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Antti posted:

I'll go for Berlin, April, 1945 because Trump is not going to surrender plus it's sooner than August.
He's going going to commit suicide with Ivanka and have Christie burn the bodies?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

fatherboxx posted:

gently caress west wing reunion clinton should hire everyone from Downfall.

Speaking of, how the gently caress has a Downfall video based on this poo poo not come out yet? Or more likely it has and we just didn't search for it.

edit: nevermind, took me like 2 seconds to search Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9FCSDo_t_Y

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Dennis Hastert Award of Excellence is in the mail for Trump, obviously.

https://twitter.com/SweetPeaPatsy/status/784851509351559168/photo/1

Here's a chuckle: click through and see the lovely responses from the Trumpist Brigade.

Jesus christ they are even more horrible than I could possibly imagine.

"Hey guys here's a quick laugh joke about the lewd sexually inappropriate comments your candidate made haha!"

"gently caress YOU KILLARY RAPIST BITCH" *posts dozens of pictures of acid attack victims and beheadings*

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Magic-Doogies posted:

As far as I'm aware of Trump has yet to actually deny saying any of those things.

And even if he wanted to- what point would there be in denying it? He said them, he was even on video in junction with the text. Not even the most brain dead of his minions can believe that.
For the first time ever he has to own up to his crap, and the best he could manage was a 'Bill did worse'.
He also hasn't posted anything on Twitter so either someone finally confiscated his account and left it to someone else or he is having a moment of clarity and not posting stupid poo poo to make his situation worse for once.

Trump knows there's worse to come.

quote:

I have traveled the country talking about change for America, but my travels have also changed me. I've spent time with grieving mothers who've lost their children, laid-off workers whose jobs have gone to other countries, and people from all walks of life who just want a better future. I have gotten to know the great people of our country and I've been humbled by the faith they've placed in me. I pledge to be a better man tomorrow, and will never, ever let you down.

He's saying the *campaign* made him not misogynist. Like, he's leaving open the potential for more revelations of stuff like this up to and including 2016.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I like big butts. And that is why I'm not running for President.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gladstone from Cracked just blocked me on Twitter cause he wouldn't concede that Bernie Bros and Trump Supporters being sexist reflected on both campaigns terribly. Alright

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
"Who needs moderates when you've got racists on your side?" GOP up to 10/7/2016

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Do you know what will happen when a good 1 in 4 Americans believes that the election results are illegitimate because they boycotted the vote? I don't, because nothing of the sort has happened in modern times. The last time an election was viewed as that illegitimate, it was 1860.

It's scary, but at the same time there's a weird dissonance in conspiracy thinking. Like, yes, logically if you think an election is illegitimate (either just intolerable or crooked) you might revolt. But I feel like most of these people simultaneously think these things and don't think them. It's about asserting an identity not a description of the objective world--I think most of them are aware of that on some level. They're masters of irony.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stereotype posted:

Three weeks ago the Fraternal Order of the Police, a collection of sworn law enforcement officers, endorsed a man for highest office of the land who admitted to using his power to regularly sexually assault women.
Yes, of course the order of police would endorse a cop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's their job.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

duz posted:

Access Hollywood is an NBC property, the Access Hollywood producer who found the tape was working with NBC News to release it.

Ah okay, but was I wrong in remembering that it was leaked separately to Farenthold at the Washington Post or something?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed here; this thread moves too fast for me to keep up with everything. But it just occurred to me to wonder if Trump has actually denied doing the stuff he talks about in that video. That video statement he released is just a halfhearted apology for what he said followed by a wholehearted attack on Hillary. So has he denied it? Would he, or his campaign people, see some reason not to?

The campaign's official stance is it was just "locker-room talk" and he was joking.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Trump'd be lucky if it was 1 in 100 at this point.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Mdarbyreid/status/784848087407742976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

i guess this is the point where trump starts touring around with a stonehenge that increasingly won't fit in the venue

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

computer parts posted:

Essentially all races are won by a margin no greater than about 60-40. If half of GOP voters stay home, every single seat goes to the Democrats. If 30% stay home, most of them will still probably go blue.

Oh I know--I guess I was speculating more medium term. The upsetting thing is that at the end of the day there might be more Trumpites in the GOP electorate than non-Trumpites. I don't know how the Republicans survive if that's the case--in some sense Trump was the only shot at something like this. I feel like he's probably poisoned a lot of his own talking points on the national level if he loses as badly as it's looking right now. I mean I know Goldwater lost horribly but still sort of won, but I don't see much of the Trump stance surviving. I don't see how you can necessarily split anti-Globalism from racism, at least in this country.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pellisworth posted:

Ah okay, but was I wrong in remembering that it was leaked separately to Farenthold at the Washington Post or something?

That's correct, someone leaked it to WaPo before NBC was ready. Luckily WaPo gave them a heads up so NBC could rush and have something out at the same time as WaPo.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Has a VP ever backed out of a ticket before?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hey man it is just a few bad apples and also the majority stance of their representative organization.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/784863254149369856

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

porfiria posted:

It's scary, but at the same time there's a weird dissonance in conspiracy thinking. Like, yes, logically if you think an election is illegitimate (either just intolerable or crooked) you might revolt. But I feel like most of these people simultaneously think these things and don't think them. It's about asserting an identity not a description of the objective world--I think most of them are aware of that on some level. They're masters of irony.

Yes, one of the big things that makes this different is that there isn't really a strong sectional element to the illegitimacy. Yes, some states are redder than others, but even 1 in 3 Wyomingites voted for Obama in 2012. In contrast, Lincoln wasn't even on the ballot in the South.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

trash person posted:

Has a candidate ever forcibly ejected their VP from a ticket? I don't think Pence has the spine to back out, but I could see an enraged Trump telling him to gently caress off.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Gladstone from Cracked just blocked me on Twitter cause he wouldn't concede that Bernie Bros and Trump Supporters being sexist reflected on both campaigns terribly. Alright

This is the least essential thing I've ever read.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

duz posted:

That's correct, someone leaked it to WaPo before NBC was ready. Luckily WaPo gave them a heads up so NBC could rush and have something out at the same time as WaPo.

He also had to confirm the authenticity of the tape from NBC (which owns Access Hollywood, the source of the tape) so the NBC automatically would've gotten a sniff that Fahrenthold is on the case.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

trash person posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Eagleton#1972_presidential_campaign

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stereotype posted:

Hey man it is just a few bad apples and also the majority stance of their representative organization.
I think they call it an "authoritative stance" not "majority stance." Your body language is supposed to make you seem in control. I think you puff up your fur to seem larger.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have I ever told you that I loving love you and want to grab your pussy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fangz posted:

Trump knows there's worse to come.

He's saying the *campaign* made him not misogynist. Like, he's leaving open the potential for more revelations of stuff like this up to and including 2016.

Oh sweet baby Jesus, I didn't quite catch this technicality when I read the transcript the first time. :stare:

I'm not actually sure I want to stay on this train.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

they aren't even close to comparable so you probably deserved it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think they call it an "authoritative stance" not "majority stance." Your body language is supposed to make you seem in control. I think you puff up your fur to seem larger.

Toads do this (no fur)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Trump campaign ought to hope there's a pic of Bill Clinton in bed with a 15 yr old in a dusty archive somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

speng31b posted:

Has a candidate ever forcibly ejected their VP from a ticket? I don't think Pence has the spine to back out, but I could see an enraged Trump telling him to gently caress off.

Tom Eagleton in 1972. It ended very badly for McGovern. It wasn't necessarily even that he had to swap, but he was seen as heartless in the way he dealt with Eagleton. Eagleton had failed to disclose that he had received electroshock therapy for depression during vetting and basically didn't want to go down like a chump and wanted a chance to prove himself but McGovern unceremoniously dumped him from the ticket.

• Locked thread