Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

freebooter posted:

Something that's always fascinated me about UHC debate in both the UK and the US is that the politicians and media act like they're the only two countries that exist. Any move to universalise health in the US must be the slippery slope to a creaky, crumbling fully-state-run system like Britain, and any move in the UK to tinker with the NHS must surely be the foot in the door for full-on American corporate privatisation. Nobody seems to consider Canada or the Netherlands or Australia or New Zealand or Denmark or any of the dozens and dozens of other countries where the private and public health sectors co-exist quite well.
the nhs is loving amazing and the only reason it is in trouble is because of deliberate chronic underfunding by politicians, a lot of them with shares in private healthcare companies, some of whom have explicitly said they want to totally privatise it and move to an american nightmare system and there is no reason to believe they will settle for soft privatisation. they have to be circuitous in actually dismantling it because people love it because it is one of the few good things about the uk. it would be fine if it were funded properly

there is no room for a profit motive in providing essential healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/784954144419446784

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Having never looked into the Juanita Broaddrick claims and without the time to do so before the debate, can someone sum up the evidence for/against (or if you know good links that could be quick reads)? Even if the whole situation afterwards (the threatening and whatnot) seems a bit ... overplayed? (not sure what word I'm looking for here is), it still is a very serious claim, and the claim is at least feasible inside of the power structure dynamic and (alleged) behaviors of Bill?

It probably happened honestly. She made some very accurate remarks. Like outside of the hotel room there was a prison being built in sight, and Bill made a comment on it. Going back to that room and the timeline, that would actually be a thing. It's a very specific obscure minor detail that makes the whole thing plausible.

But who knows? It's plausible but it's a he said she said thing.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

Things we know for sure: Both Bill Clinton and Donald Trump abused their power and fame to have sexual relationships with women who were not their wives.

Things that aren't proven: Some of Bill Clinton's affairs were non-consensual.

Things that were admitted on camera: Some of Donald Trump's affairs were non-consensual.

For some reason this makes Donald Trump better than Bill Clinton's WIFE.

This is basically my argument, and for any rape victim who has been blowing that horn publicly for 30 years to back the dude who openly admitted to sexual assault casts doubt. I always believe accusers at face value, but I'm not going to ignore any evidence that may disprove their claim, and this casts some serious doubts.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This guy was the head of the College Republicans at my university. It makes me really happy to imagine how miserable this election has made him.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

How are people not understanding why this is a huge deal?

He's been doing horrible poo poo for months now. There are accounts going back decades of him racially discriminating, sexually harassing, cheating on his wives, abusing Marla, cheating his clients and partners, cozying up to enemies of the US, trashing veterans and their families, and on and on. These have all been horrible things. It's totally obvious why this recording should be a huge deal. The surprise in it actually being a huge deal is that we've all known he was this awful the entire time, but none of it has blown up quite like this even though every single one of those things should have.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/784944534283100160
Who has the giant :ironicat: gif handy?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

As angry as the Trumpstaffle is, I expect far worse for any minority group. We're about to see what encouraging delusional neo-Nazis really means. I only hope that the GOP are held accountable for it, though I know they won't be.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite thing today is the poster in this thread calling out Jim Davis for being a sellout. Yeah, the guy behind the multi-million dollar Garfield product empire might be in it for the money.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sad to say this happens more often than gets reported....

gently caress god damnit.

See, there's a relatively huge Sikh community in the CA Ag valley, places like Modesto and Ceres, etc, a lot of Sikh immigrants come to the US and get into trucking/logistics there because the food needs to get to the warehouses and it pays well. It's a good way to go from immigrant to solid middle class and have nice things for your kids and be able to go back and visit your family and support them, etc. Problem is, that region is right up against the part of the state infested with deplorables so you've got this tension where deplorables and their garbage inbred families think Sikhs are some wave of Muslim immigrants there to rape their shitheaded daughters when Sikhs are actually regular old religious people and definitely not Muslim at all. But you wouldn't expect white deplorable trash to know the difference, in fact a few years back one of them shot up a Sikh temple because to racist hillbillies nobody other than a Muslim would wear a turban.

Man that poo poo pisses me off, all the Sikhs I've ever known have been cool and good like it's a religious requirement to be excellent to others and of course it's goddamn white trash who are too drat stupid to just accept people who don't gently caress their sisters and drink Coors light while eating chik fila.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
So what happens if Trump actually drops out?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe those influential Rs shouldn't have been pushing this Clinton Murder And Mayhem Machine narrative since the 90s and we wouldn't be here.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

swimgus posted:

It just seemed to me that the mexican judge thing and the elizabeth-warren-pocahantas thing, and the mocking disabled reporter, and the joking about assasinating hillary, and a bunch of other things were all huge deals, then Trump just kept on Trumping, and people shrugged and didn't pressure him to drop out. And after this thing everyone says he should quit. I'm not saying this isn't a huge deal, and I agree that what he said in the video was beyond the pale, it's just that he should have been disqualified as soon as he said Mexico was sending rapists here in his announcement speech.

They like veiled racism, mocking reporters, and insurrectionist gun narratives. You can do that poo poo in the Republican party if you get votes. You can't openly break basic sexual mores on video while also losing the election to a woman who they've spent decades villifying. If one or the other wasn't true, he'd be fine.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

FactsAreUseless posted:

My favorite thing today is the poster in this thread calling out Jim Davis for being a sellout. Yeah, the guy behind the multi-million dollar Garfield product empire might be in it for the money.
he literally came up with it to sell merchandise, im not sure its technically possible for him to sell out

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

See, there's a relatively huge Sikh community in the CA Ag valley, places like Modesto and Ceres, etc, a lot of Sikh immigrants come to the US and get into trucking/logistics there because the food needs to get to the warehouses and it pays well. It's a good way to go from immigrant to solid middle class and have nice things for your kids and be able to go back and visit your family and support them, etc. Problem is, that region is right up against the part of the state infested with deplorables so you've got this tension where deplorables and their garbage inbred families think Sikhs are some wave of Muslim immigrants there to rape their shitheaded daughters when Sikhs are actually regular old religious people and definitely not Muslim at all. But you wouldn't expect white deplorable trash to know the difference, in fact a few years back one of them shot up a Sikh temple because to racist hillbillies nobody other than a Muslim would wear a turban.

Man that poo poo pisses me off, all the Sikhs I've ever known have been cool and good like it's a religious requirement to be excellent to others and of course it's goddamn white trash who are too drat stupid to just accept people who don't gently caress their sisters and drink Coors light while eating chik fila.
Seriously Sikhism is a really great religion, in that it makes charity not just an abstract obligation, but a literal core function of their place of worship.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Sikhs drink like sinks and that's why their weddings own.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's about ethics in cartooning.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I stand on my roof at 2 am and howl at the moon while taking a glorious piss.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

The world ends. Because he's not dropping out. It'll be hilarious if Pence does though.

Anyway, has this been posted yet?

Color Gray
Oct 10, 2005
BARF!

Munkeymon posted:

Independent of all the great new dumpster fire action, how did you fuckers convince twitter that my phone speaks German?

I have been asking myself this all god damned day.

Some of the Twitter links earlier in this thread had "lang=de" ("Language = German") in the URL like this one, and Twitter remembers your language by setting a cookie, so that's why you're seeing every page in German. Using "lang=en" instead will set it back to English. Here's that same link with "lang" changed to "en" that should fix it for you: click me.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

is my best guess

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I hope the forthcoming schism between social conservatives and small government conservatives keeps liberals in power for the next 400 years.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

gfsincere posted:

This isn't a "well what were you wearing" or a "why did you go on a date with him if you didn't want to have sex" argument.

This is a "why would you openly back a man who has described in great detail sexually assaulting women and using his perceived power to do so if your goal is to bring down men who commit sexual assault and use their perceived power to do so" argument.

If she said she wanted to cut Bills balls off, I get it.
She wants to destroy Bills legacy, I get it.
She wants to punish his wife for sticking by him through her claims, I get it.

But "let me back this man who is on trial for rape currently and also described in great detail sexually assaulting other women" I can't buy and I won't buy.

Did uh.

Did I miss something?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Accurate as Oklahoma would never go blue.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah but it's not funny. He's also a bit of a whore, he released an official Garfield Without Garfield book to cash in on that while it was relevant. Jim Davis isn't a bad person his creation just isn't something enjoyable by anyone over 7.

Jim Davis may be a hardcore sellout, but the things he's created by selling out range from harmlessly bland to actually kind of great ("Garfield: his nine lives", the original animated series). He's a better and more honest business man than Trump, that's for sure.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lozzle posted:

I've already seen deplorables who insist that this is just Donald Trump being an alpha male and sexually aggressive (which is a apparently a Good Thing) and anyone who doesn't act like that is a beta male. Asking for consent to kiss or touch women makes you a pussy.

I honestly have no idea if they are elaborate trolls or the worst people ever. This election broke Poe's Law forever.

Dubplate Fire posted:

Like really, who gives a poo poo? He's just talking poo poo. I guess people without friends don't understand social interactions.

edit: i love how everyone is pretending to be outraged. noone has ever said morally reprehensible poo poo to their friends before.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Guy on facebook: "why would trump bring up Bills cheating and scandals if he's cheated and is awaiting trial for rape?"

Guy 2: "you know how Trump doesn't understand that you can't use nukes just because you have them? Yeah, that."

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

They have to try to litigate a case to overturn state laws setting an end date for putting new candidates on the ballot and try to force states that have already started early voting to recognize votes already cast for Trump as votes for the new candidate possibly against the wishes of the actual voters. It'll be a glorious clusterfuck, basically.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

smg77 posted:

is my best guess

Alaska is actually much more likely to go blue than most other states. It is more likely than Texas according to 538.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Did uh.

Did I miss something?

Yes. Trump has a rape trial for raping a 13 year old girl on one of Jeffery Epstiens wild flights that starts on Oct 14th.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Stereotype posted:

Alaska is actually much more likely to go blue than most other states. It is more likely than Texas according to 538.

Yeah I didn't mean to leave it red...must have been the proximity to Russia.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

birds posted:

I talked to my Trump supporting roommate today about the video today and he said he won't watch it because he said didn't care. I read him parts of the transcript and was told something along the lines of "oh wow i thought you were going to tell me something actually bad, bill clinton did much worse!" :suicide:

Don't worry though, he's not even registered to vote.

I have a feeling that a great deal of Donny's support comes from people like your roommate. His support does largely come from High School educated white males, who are not a high turnout to vote group. I really wouldn't be surprised if most of his support comes from people who aren't registered or who are but aren't going to vote anyway. And that's aside from him not even having RNC GOTV support anymore.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jim Davis may be a hardcore sellout, but the things he's created by selling out range from harmlessly bland to actually kind of great ("Garfield: his nine lives", the original animated series). He's a better and more honest business man than Trump, that's for sure.

I will always love Jim Davis for this. The dude is actually a loving great artist: http://books.google.com/books/about/Garfield_Presents_Babes_and_Bullets.html?id=LFftrXfV4tYC

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
Getting a little nostalgic for the primaries. Zodiac Killer, Lil Marco trying to make dick jokes at rallies, Bernie's little bird friend

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

gfsincere posted:

Yes. Trump has a rape trial for raping a 13 year old girl on one of Jeffery Epstiens wild flights that starts on Oct 14th.

I'm not so sure anything's going to come of this. Even Jezebel said that this case is pretty dubious and probably a sham on part of a NeverTrump group.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

They spent decades demonizing minorities/women/leftists and built up their own media bubble to further brainwash their voting base. I find it hard to believe that they are actually surprised at the outcome of all those their party has done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

This isn't a "well what were you wearing" or a "why did you go on a date with him if you didn't want to have sex" argument.

This is a "why would you openly back a man who has described in great detail sexually assaulting women and using his perceived power to do so if your goal is to bring down men who commit sexual assault and use their perceived power to do so" argument.

If she said she wanted to cut Bills balls off, I get it.
She wants to destroy Bills legacy, I get it.
She wants to punish his wife for sticking by him through her claims, I get it.

But "let me back this man who is on trial for rape currently and also described in great detail sexually assaulting other women" I can't buy and I won't buy.

You're denying a rape accusation because "she's lying and wants to ruin a man." I'm just pointing that out.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

gfsincere posted:

Just to add, it's a civil case not a criminal one because the statute of limitations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gfsincere posted:

IMO being so angry that you back another rapist and potentially create even more victims makes one a rapist enabler, and wipes away any sort of empathy or compassion I could possibly have and casts a serious doubt on their accusation.

I can see why her behavior would make you lose your compassion for her, but it really doesn't have any bearing on whether or not her accusation is legit. People do illogical, counterproductive poo poo all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

and his charitable causes are actually legitimate charities

• Locked thread