Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

Someone being a favorite character of Grant Morrison doesn't prevent them from being an obscure character. If anything it makes it more likely.

Nobody who isn't a die-hard comic fan knows who The Ray is. That's fine. That doesn't make him a bad character but it's true. B'Wana Beast at bare minimum got a series of episodes about him on Brave and the Bold culminating in his death. Someone who doesn't read comics has a chance of knowing who he is. The most The Ray ever got was a small part in a B&B episode where he's barely a character) and cameos in JLU where he literally never has a single line meaning he gets less onscreen time than Vigilante.

The Ray is the definition of a C-list character nobody knows about. He shows up in cameos and references and that's about it. That's okay. That's not a bad thing. Being C-list isn't bad but stop trying to pretend like The Ray is this massively recognized and beloved character.

Im not pretending anything I was just correcting Edge & Christian who said Ray Terrill hasnt been seen or heard from since the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alucard Nacirema posted:

No he isn't . The Ray was a big character in the 90s he's a favorite of Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison thats why he's always showing up in the big event books. B'wane Beast shows up for a cameo every 20 years and thats it.

And my point was correcting that other guy who said Ray Terrill hasnt been used in 20 years when he has appeared consistently through the 00s and 2010s.

So? People still use loving Jericho, and I doubt he has any significant following outside of 80s Teen Titans fans.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I swear to gorilla grod, DC, when you finally unveil the triumphant return of Pantha she better not be a queer

Has Pantha shown up at all since Superboy-Prime punched her head off? Not even a boring character like her deserved that end.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

(phantom lady = gypsy,

That's a not-good word you're using there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Im not pretending anything I was just correcting Edge & Christian who said Ray Terrill hasnt been seen or heard from since the 90s

You claimed he was a "big character in the 90s' which wasn't true. Having a book doesn't make you a big character. It's not a flaw.

Roth posted:

That's a not-good word you're using there.

Maybe he's Peter David!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Incidentally, I read Jill Thompson's Wonder Woman: The True Amazon OGN. It's a beautiful book that has, to me, a very Gaiman-esque, Moore-esque Vertigo storytelling aesthetic. Its art and writing is very evocative of old children's books about mythology and fairy tales and very fitting for this particular story.

So this is basically the...fifth?...reinterpretation of the WW origin in about as many years (fourth one in this year alone), and some of the origin and imagery will be reminiscent of Perez, but that's where the similarity ends...this story shapes the general outline of Diana's mythos into something that's never been done before: make her a tragically spoiled brat who was personally responsible for all the evil and death that she's setting out to rectify, and is on a mission of redemption for her own sins. As I said, it's...very unique. It's absolutely not an origin I would like for any mainstream continuity incarnation of the character. But the story sets up the idea very well and supports it through incredibly stirring writing. I found that I was able to move past the quote-unquote "out-of-character"-ness of this Diana very quickly and be engaged in the execution of this OOCness. And even though this is, of course, not the Diana of mainline DCU, you can still sort of see resemblances...like, our Diana could have been this Diana, if things had gone just a lil' bit differently. I think that's the mark of a good "Elseworlds" story, where it obviously is an alternate story in an alternate universe, but not to the point where you're like "This is just not the character."

Speaking of the homosexual agenda though, I've been amused by the fact that every one of the recent retellings of Diana's life on Themyscira has included a female love interest. If there wasn't a memo sent out through the DC offices or anything, then it was basically like Morrison, Rucka, and Thompson all simultaneously decided that, yeah, this is what would make sense for the character.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

Has Pantha shown up at all since Superboy-Prime punched her head off? Not even a boring character like her deserved that end.

She apparently showed up in Blackest Night along with Baby Wildebeest to torment Red Star.

That sentence is probably the most damning indictment of Blackest Night ever committed to word.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alucard Nacirema posted:

It's been kind of entertaining to humor this dude but seriously: shut the gently caress up, you homophobic bigoted piece of poo poo, stop posting, do not pass GO, do not collect $200, shut up get out

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Wrong. Ray has consistently shown up in event books since the 90s, was on both JLA and Justice League Task Force and was a major character in the freedom fighter series from the late 00s to 2010. Don't make it sound like this is some obscure character like Access or some poo poo.
A comprehensive list of Ray "The Ray" "Not Gay" Terrill, 1997-2015:

1997: a guest appearance in an Electric Superman issue, is kind of hanging around John Byrne's GENESIS event mini-series.
1998: Appears in a group scene in DC One Million #2.
1999: Appears in group scenes in 2-3 issues of JLA, apparently a supporting character in the last few issues of Resurrection Man?
2000: Appears in group scenes during WW3, has a profile in a couple of "Secret Files" one-shots
2001: Appears in three JLA one-shots in group shots
2002: Is a member of Young Justice maybe for 5-6 issues? Shows up in a group for an issue of Supergirl, and in an issue of JSA
2003: He's a supporting character in JSA for about half of the year.
2004: Shows up in crowd shots for one issue of Adventures of Superman and one issue of Identity Crisis
2005: Group shots in a bunch of books! two issues of JSA, an issue of OMAC Project, an issue of Green Lantern Rebirth, even an issue of Teen Titans
2006: Is almost killed in an establishing shot for Infinite Crisis, but he doesn't actually die. Appears in big group shots in two issues of 52.
2007: Shows up at the end of the first Freedom Fighters mini-series, also in a few group shots in Countdown.
2008: Cameo in a Tales of the SInestro Corps issue, a second Freedom Fighters mini-series? Used as a messenger service in a couple of pages of FInal Crisis.
2009: Cameo in an issue of Brave and the Bold, another issue of Final Crisis. Plus a supporting role in an issue of EL DIABLO, and a panel in Busiek/Bagley's Trinity. Also a panel in Blackest Night.
2010: An issue of Dan Didio's Outsiders, a third Freedom Fighters mini-series even fewer people read and in which he's like the sixth most prominent member.
2011: The third Freedom Fighters series sputters out, Ray appears in most issues.
September 2011-present: Ray "The Ray" "Not Gay" Terrill doesn't technically exist

That's a lot of comics, but I would lay down money that he had a line of dialogue in less than half of them, and he addressed his sexuality absolutely nowhere besides maybe in some throwaway panel about Phantom Lady's tits in Freedom Fighters. Unless that wasn't actually the same Ray, I never read those books.

In terms of "this character has been consistently used for the past twenty years" he ranks right up there with other legendary "show up in a big group scene" characters like Blue Devil, Lady Quark, Empress, Sparx, Argus, Argent, Lionheart, Judomaster, I was going to compare him to Geo-Force but people have actually tried to write stories about Geo-Force in the 21st century, against anyone's better judgment.

Bibbo is a more fleshed out character in the past twenty years than The Ray is. Willie Lumpkin and Tawny Talky have had more lines of dialogue and development.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 7, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Incidentally, I read Jill Thompson's Wonder Woman: The True Amazon OGN. It's a beautiful book that has, to me, a very Gaiman-esque, Moore-esque Vertigo storytelling aesthetic. Its art and writing is very evocative of old children's books about mythology and fairy tales and very fitting for this particular story.

So this is basically the...fifth?...reinterpretation of the WW origin in about as many years (fourth one in this year alone), and some of the origin and imagery will be reminiscent of Perez, but that's where the similarity ends...this story shapes the general outline of Diana's mythos into something that's never been done before: make her a tragically spoiled brat who was personally responsible for all the evil and death that she's setting out to rectify, and is on a mission of redemption for her own sins. As I said, it's...very unique. It's absolutely not an origin I would like for any mainstream continuity incarnation of the character. But the story sets up the idea very well and supports it through incredibly stirring writing. I found that I was able to move past the quote-unquote "out-of-character"-ness of this Diana very quickly and be engaged in the execution of this OOCness. And even though this is, of course, not the Diana of mainline DCU, you can still sort of see resemblances...like, our Diana could have been this Diana, if things had gone just a lil' bit differently. I think that's the mark of a good "Elseworlds" story, where it obviously is an alternate story in an alternate universe, but not to the point where you're like "This is just not the character."

Speaking of the homosexual agenda though, I've been amused by the fact that every one of the recent retellings of Diana's life on Themyscira has included a female love interest. If there wasn't a memo sent out through the DC offices or anything, then it was basically like Morrison, Rucka, and Thompson all simultaneously decided that, yeah, this is what would make sense for the character.

Until the end I was decrying the change of title from A Very Spoilt Princess (or something) to The True Amazon to be horrible and just a safe retreat to not rile up any sensitive internet WW fans, but it's a great ironic sad misdirect right at the end.

Also, it looks bananas. I love when artists can bust out a whole new level of work so far into their careers.

e: I am surprised this depiction hasn't seed to cause much of a stink. Maybe when it starts coming out in digital chapters (I think that's the plan?)

ee: and speaking of, a William Moulton Marston biopic is in the works :toot:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-wonder-woman-creators-20161007-snap-story.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 7, 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The Ray is the definition of a C-list character nobody knows about. He shows up in cameos and references and that's about it. That's okay. That's not a bad thing. Being C-list isn't bad but stop trying to pretend like The Ray is this massively recognized and beloved character.

I'd go further and say The Ray is D-List.

And the "D" stands for "Dick". Because he's into penises. Because he's gay.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I'm going to stop with the ray conversation since its a moot point now but I wanted to thank Brianwilly and Edge & Christian for actually having a discussion with me and bringing up valid points instead of jerks who want to insult people who have an opinion different from theres or just want to throw labels on people because thinking and conversing like a normal person is too hard for them.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 7, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I'm going to stop with the ray conversation since its a moot point now but I wanted to thank Brianwilly and Edge & Christian for actually having a discussion with me and bringing up valid points instead of jerks who want to insult people who have an opinion different from theres or just want to throw labels on people because thinking and conversing like a normal person is too hard for them.

If this whole thing was just about you wanting to discuss The Ray I am game. For instance I think he had an awesome jacket. Would you agree or disagree on the awesomeness of his jacket?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Madkal posted:

If this whole thing was just about you wanting to discuss The Ray I am game. For instance I think he had an awesome jacket. Would you agree or disagree on the awesomeness of his jacket?

His jacket is boss and is probably the best overhaul of a character design since the silver age.

I also liked the 90s Black Condor but apparently not many other people did :/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
The best freedom fighter was always the original Human Bomb. God drat it was a good costume.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I might be remember this wrong, and I really don't care enough to look it up, but wasn't it Quesada who came up with the 90's Ray look?
Also I remember DC introducing lots of new "teen-relatable" characters in the 90's like Triumph, Damage, and Animus. Did any of those character actually catch on to wider appeal?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I have never complained about miles or Kamala.

Oh, my apologies then.

Madkal posted:

I might be remember this wrong, and I really don't care enough to look it up, but wasn't it Quesada who came up with the 90's Ray look?

Man, Joe Quesada has done so much cool stuff, it's a shame the bad stuff was so bad that that's what people will remember him for.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alaois posted:

She apparently showed up in Blackest Night along with Baby Wildebeest to torment Red Star.

That sentence is probably the most damning indictment of Blackest Night ever committed to word.

That's, like, three of the blandest Teen Titans characters possible.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Madkal posted:

Also I remember DC introducing lots of new "teen-relatable" characters in the 90's like Triumph, Damage, and Animus. Did any of those character actually catch on to wider appeal?

Yes he designed the 90s Ray and was the original artist on the book. He also designed Azrael.

Out of that wave only Impulse caught on but The Ray and Damage would be close behind him as they do have a small following. The others not so much. Also wasn't Triumph supposed to be a bit older? Wasn't he supposed to be a forgotten Justice league founder that they run into. I always thought he was supposed to be around Barry and Black Canarys age.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 8, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I honestly can't remember much about those characters besides the ads for them in other DC books. Didn't help that the local magazine store that I got my comics at only carried Batman, Superman and Green Lantern comics so I never really read them either.
Reminds me that Fate was also around that time though.

I should go through my old Batman comics just to look at those ads again and reminisce.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RHATO 3 Preview

Everyone involved in this book is knocking out of the goddamn park.

Just look at Soy's pencils :allears:

And lovely S&M mask aside, I'm really liking the way Lobdell's writing Sionis.

:haw:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Praise.....for a LOBDELL book?!!!

Clinton must be the president cuz this is the 90s

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

I can't believe Bob Kane is still alive.

lmao

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Looks like Jonboy Meyers walked off of Teen Titans citing creative issues, most likely with Ben Percy himself. Khoi Pham, who I am unfamiliar with, is replacing him.

Also FINALLY got a creative team for Super Sons. Peter Tomasi and Jorge Jimenez. Utterly unsurprising, but their is absolutely no one more qualified to write this book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tomasi on Super Sons equals an instant buy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Yeah I wasn't buying super sons until now. It is a buy, buy, buy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, I'm at least picking up Super Sons, Batwoman, and JLA next year from the DC side of thins.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Warren Ellis says his Wildstorm reboot, that surely will go off without a hitch and certainly won't be delayed no sir, is not set in the DC Universe it's a completely different reality and reboot.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

Warren Ellis says his Wildstorm reboot, that surely will go off without a hitch and certainly won't be delayed no sir, is not set in the DC Universe it's a completely different reality and reboot.

Good

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bilquis Evely ('Sugar and Spike' and this week's WW fill-in) will be replacing Nicola Scott on WW after the Year One storyline.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/nycc-16-bilquis-evely-to-take-over-after-nicola-scott-on-wonder-woman-art-duties/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

I don't think any of the new 'New Spider-Man' characters (because for the most part, that's what characters like these ultimately are, attempts to capture that lightning in the bottle) from either company ever really caught on until Jaime Blue Beetle, at least not any already tied into A-list characters like Impulse, Robin or Batgirl.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don't think any of the new 'New Spider-Man' characters (because for the most part, that's what characters like these ultimately are, attempts to capture that lightning in the bottle) from either company ever really caught on until Jaime Blue Beetle, at least not any already tied into A-list characters like Impulse, Robin or Batgirl.

Jamie never really caught on. His books are consistently low sellers it's just that DC keeps wasting money giving him a big marketing push. SAD!

Kamala Khan and Miles were way bigger succes stories.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Probably because no one actually cares about Blue beetle. People do know and care about Spider-man and Miss Marvel

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Jamie never really caught on. His books are consistently low sellers it's just that DC keeps wasting money giving him a big marketing push. SAD!

Whatever you say, Mr. Trump, but he's a drat sight more successful than The Ray.

Edit: Also it's Jaime, you'd think you could maybe spell it right by now given how much you go on about him.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Yeah you over played your hand here.
:frogout:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The whole issue was good but the scene in this week's Batman where Batman jumps inside Clayface to fight the monster Gotham Girl was fuckin choice.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mr Hootington posted:

The best freedom fighter was always the original Human Bomb. God drat it was a good costume.
My man.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

No more pretty lights.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Is the Ann Nocenti Klarion series based on Morrisons Seven Soldier version or is it a total reboot?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a new version of Klarion, like the rest of the N52. It was about something like a magic school battling a mystical technology based school.
I actually didn't think it was bad, but I didn't finish it for whatever reason. Cool art.

There are two old issues of Robin guest starring Klarion, with Frasier Irving art that you could read instead, if you haven't.
https://www.comixology.com/Robin-1993-2009-157/digital-comic/28383?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvSXNzdWVz

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 11, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a new version of Klarion, like the rest of the N52. It was about something like a magic school battling a mystical technology based school.
I actually didn't think it was bad, but I didn't finish it for whatever reason. Cool art.

There are two old issues of Robin guest starring Klarion, with Frasier Irving art that you could read instead, if you haven't.
https://www.comixology.com/Robin-1993-2009-157/digital-comic/28383?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvSXNzdWVz

I know Peter David is not popular right not but Klarion... Bum, Bum, Bum... The Witch Boy is pretty great in Young Justice Sins of the Youth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a new version of Klarion, like the rest of the N52It was about something like a magic school battling a mystical technology based school.

That wasn't the case for all books though. Green Lantern and Batman Inc just continued as usual with minor revisions andThe Shade and Frankenstien were clearly based on the previous incarnations in Starman and Seven Soldiers respectively. I knew klarion didn't continue the story from the Seven soldiers mini but I was wondering if klarion and his supporting cast were based on Morrisons take on the character (like Frankenstien and Shining Knight) or was it a completely new version/new spin (like Lobo and Earth 2)? I'm assuming your saying it's completely different from the SS version.

And as a follow up, I guess the klarion in the most recent Teen Titans run was the nocenti version?

I haven't seen those robin issues so I'll definitely check those out though

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 11, 2016