Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Inzombiac posted:

DD deserves a dozen sequels. As incomplete and partially broken as it may be, it's one of my favorite games.

Dragon's Dogma is the game I thought Monster Hunter would be before I actually played Monster Hunter and discovered that wow Monster Hunter is awful. DD is so goddamn amazing, I've never had a game where nighttime actually felt so dangerous. You can't see poo poo, monsters get way more powerful and confident, and when you have no clue where the next safe spot is, or if there even is a safe spot where you're heading, it's just great. As for the combat, I haven't ever experienced a game with an archer class that was even close to as good or enjoyable, it's crazy how mobile and fun it is.

Eughhh there's too much other crap in life to do and my vidja time is taken up by the billion other games out there but shiiit I want to play this game again and go archer (again).

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Semi-crossposting from the Boss Music thread: I was reminded today of one of the things I adore about FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcbKY7d0dc

GOOD KING MOGGLE MOG!

The whole boss fight is a group of super adorable Moogles and their giant king. They flutter around, dancing and chatting with each other. The music in the background is a medley/remix of a couple of Moogle themes from throughout the Final Fantasy series, and the lyrics introduce you to the Good King and his trusty troupe of brave and brilliant Moogles.

It is the cutest boss fight I've ever seen in my life.

I unsubscribed from FF14 a while ago (because it's a terrible videogame) but I still looked up some of the new patch music and eyyyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0P9jHV8dQ

thank you to the people still giving square money for this game so I can experience the best part of it for free on youtube :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Best thing about dragons dogma is the character creation,even though I finished the game about 5 times I still remember my very first character, I made a kid character and made him as princely as possible, blonde slicked back hair, blue eyes and a wicked arse cape,it made the weird underage princess subplot more believable.I even had a gigantic bodyguard just for shits and giggles.Next playthrough I went super old wrinkly wizard man and it was awesome.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Best thing about dragons dogma is the character creation,even though I finished the game about 5 times I still remember my very first character, I made a kid character and made him as princely as possible, blonde slicked back hair, blue eyes and a wicked arse cape,it made the weird underage princess subplot more believable.I even had a gigantic bodyguard just for shits and giggles.Next playthrough I went super old wrinkly wizard man and it was awesome.

My first Pawn looked like Danny Devito.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I want to make a run where me and all of my pawns are David Bowie of varying eras, since the creator had a Bowie eye option

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I want to make a run where me and all of my pawns are David Bowie of varying eras, since the creator had a Bowie eye option

gasp! I would watch the poo poo out of that. That character creator is so good it's ridiculous,anyway content : Started playing minecraft for the first time last month and my favourite thing is tunnelling miles underground getting completely lost, using up all your resources tunnelling upward aaaand.......coming out on land about 5 feet away from where you went in :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That doesn't work, it despawns.

I was lied to...

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The character creator is awesome, and the fact that it actually has an effect on gameplay (iirc taller characters have longer reach with their weapons, there's certain cave entrances and stuff only short characters can enter, and I want to say your character's weight affects how easily they're knocked down or staggered?) is just mind-blowing.

The only downside is that my characters almost never look in the game like they do in the creator but I think I like what my character actually looks like better than what I wanted her to so I can't get upset. I was going for big muscly Amazon lady and she ended up just tall and rotund, so she looks like some random peasant girl from a fishing village who just happens to be really good at smacking goblins because she's freakishly huge.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The character creator is awesome, and the fact that it actually has an effect on gameplay (iirc taller characters have longer reach with their weapons, there's certain cave entrances and stuff only short characters can enter, and I want to say your character's weight affects how easily they're knocked down or staggered?) is just mind-blowing.

The only downside is that my characters almost never look in the game like they do in the creator but I think I like what my character actually looks like better than what I wanted her to so I can't get upset. I was going for big muscly Amazon lady and she ended up just tall and rotund, so she looks like some random peasant girl from a fishing village who just happens to be really good at smacking goblins because she's freakishly huge.
I know if you make a huge tall character they're less affected by strong winds but it's barely noticeable or useful,i think smaller characters can climb faster and have better grip.It's cool to play dd like a more violent shadow of the colossus :D

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is some (by which I think there is just 1) places where small characters can crawl through holes.

I like in Dragma if you're lifted in the air and fall down your pawns can catch you :3:

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Another thing in dragon's dogma: You can change your class for basically free afaik after a one time cost to unlock each class. This makes it so you never get useless loot for a class you don't play as and you can change your party composition really easily.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was initially skeptical of the way you can change classes any time, but I really like it- there's a lot of walking around, and you'll be fighting the same enemies a lot of times, so changing your class means changing the specifics of how you fight, which helps keep things fresh.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Character weight and height affects a few things; heavier characters can carry more stuff and are slightly less affected by knockdown and stagger effects, lighter characters move faster and I think they regenerate stamina faster. Taller characters have longer weapon reach and larger hitboxes, and shorter characters have a smaller hitbox and can run between the legs of giant enemies, so they can dodge more easily. Even specific body parts have an effect; IIRC a character with longer legs can walk faster than one with shorter legs, even if they're the same overall height. Dragon's Dogma is basically just a collection of extremely cool little things and it really deserves a sequel.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dragon's Dogma Online is kind of a sequel, but sadly Japan only. The character creator seems intact at least.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Semi-crossposting from the Boss Music thread: I was reminded today of one of the things I adore about FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcbKY7d0dc

GOOD KING MOGGLE MOG!

The whole boss fight is a group of super adorable Moogles and their giant king. They flutter around, dancing and chatting with each other. The music in the background is a medley/remix of a couple of Moogle themes from throughout the Final Fantasy series, and the lyrics introduce you to the Good King and his trusty troupe of brave and brilliant Moogles.

It is the cutest boss fight I've ever seen in my life.

That song is an incredibly blatant rip off of This is Halloween.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Dragon's Dogma Online is kind of a sequel, but sadly Japan only. The character creator seems intact at least.

Recent news is that it ~might~ be coming to the west after its current season or whatever

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've owned Dragon's Dogma on Steam for like a year. I started it because of this thread and I climbed all over a Chimera and chopped of its snake tail. Then I made a big baby man.

Good game.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

IShallRiseAgain posted:

How could anyone derive pleasure from listening to this

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It's actually a remix of the moogle theme from previous final fantasies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_yeQV-TIrA
Now granted ff5 came after nightmare before Christmas and while I agree the good king moogle mog theme is VERY similar, I have my doubts it was inspired by it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No kidding - they didn't even bother changing the music or the voices, I wonder if you laid them over each other if they would still match.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's actually a remix of the moogle theme from previous final fantasies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_yeQV-TIrA
Now granted ff5 came after nightmare before Christmas and while I agree the good king moogle mog theme is VERY similar, I have my doubts it was inspired by it.

The composer for FFXV also worked on Kingdom Hearts which has a literal straight remix of This Is Halloween so while it's probably unintentional they were aware of the song.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

ImpAtom posted:

The composer for FFXV also worked on Kingdom Hearts which has a literal straight remix of This Is Halloween so while it's probably unintentional they were aware of the song.

And the XIV raid boss Sephirot has stolen half a song from Powerman 5000 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV_bzJgRxE

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Feonir posted:

And the XIV raid boss Sephirot has stolen half a song from Powerman 5000 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV_bzJgRxE

Their lead singer threatened legal action, but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

Heavensward has been getting really weird with its boss music lately. The final boss battle theme for A Realm Reborn's 8-man raid was an orchestral and choral piece. The equivalent from Heavensward is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IiOzi05IlA

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ImpAtom posted:

XV, not XIV. XIV's composer is basically an otherwise unknown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masayoshi_Soken?wprov=sfla1

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Capcom made a PS2 game that was a sequel to The Nightmare Before Christmas, it was mostly a kind of mediocre kid-friendly Devil May Cry knockoff (complete with having Santa Jack as a Devil Trigger) but one kind of interesting thing it did was have the boss battles be actual musical numbers like the movie where you collect music notes by attacking the boss and then do a rhythm game where you sing and dance to actually damage them.

Granted, they weren't exactly good songs but it's the thought that counts.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
That game had the best save guy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Capcom made a PS2 game that was a sequel to The Nightmare Before Christmas, it was mostly a kind of mediocre kid-friendly Devil May Cry knockoff (complete with having Santa Jack as a Devil Trigger) but one kind of interesting thing it did was have the boss battles be actual musical numbers like the movie where you collect music notes by attacking the boss and then do a rhythm game where you sing and dance to actually damage them.

Granted, they weren't exactly good songs but it's the thought that counts.

I can't believe I've never heard of this game.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

The time of mediocre DMC clones was a strange period. They never really got what else was good about DMC other than the basics of the combat style and soon realized making God of War clones was easier and more profitable.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dr Snofeld posted:

Their lead singer threatened legal action, but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

Heavensward has been getting really weird with its boss music lately. The final boss battle theme for A Realm Reborn's 8-man raid was an orchestral and choral piece. The equivalent from Heavensward is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IiOzi05IlA

This is the reason I keep playing FFXIV, so I guess the soundtrack is my little thing for that game.

Edit: The Alexander raid just has a lot of slightly oddball musical choices. My favorite probably being the new version of the boss music that plays during the second stage of that raid
This is the song that plays during the final boss of the first wing that comes up occasionally throughout the rest of the raid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhDvQIqEkuI
This is the version of the song that plays during second stage where you fight Brute Justice, the giant combining robot Voltron knock-off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg

Glagha has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Oct 9, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Are Hildy and Gilgamesh back in these new patches

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

swordfish duelist posted:

WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS

:byodood: Soaked to the bone!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Plummeting off a 300-foot cliff to their doom: What a gaffe...

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Calaveron posted:

Are Hildy and Gilgamesh back in these new patches

Hildy yes, no Gilgamesh though.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
My favorite thing about Dragon's Dogma is that if you toss certain non-hostile NPCs at your pawns, they'll pick them up and throw them back to you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Aubergine Mage posted:

Hildy yes, no Gilgamesh though.

Ah, no Gil is fine. Where can they even go after he literally wishes a being of near-limitless power in the shape of his best friend into existence just because his wish was sincere and his heart so pure.

Calaveron has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Oct 9, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I can't believe I've never heard of this game.

Voidburger did an LP of it a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxWP77hZ_AE&index=2&list=PLPtOqZrJ-NB4VK_mJhPnw3B1f9_23KMA4

Basically it's one of those games that has some good parts but you can see the point where they ran out of ideas.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Miijhal posted:

My favorite thing about Dragon's Dogma is that if you toss certain non-hostile NPCs at your pawns, they'll pick them up and throw them back to you.

You can play catch with live deer! I think my record was seven throws back and forth before the stag got away and started attacking me instead. :allears:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dragons Dogma had a surprise wedding at some point in the game where your one true love comes forward and you get married. My arcane archer ended up marrying the "mustard warts doll camp go wrong" blacksmith because every time you talk to him it slightly raises his affection meter. I spent so much time upgrading he just fell in love .

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had to threaten the inn keep with so much violence because every other night he was falling in love with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It used to be worse. The first major update to the console version drastically reduced the amount of true-love-points that built up by talking to shop owners because it was happening to pretty much everyone. :allears: