Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there something I'm missing with the Chisel mod? I don't know how to interact with it in the world.

Open up the chisel, put the block you want inside, close it, left click on a block in the world (til it breaks) to chisel it to the block currently in the chisel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Equivilent Exchange? What is that? Some OP mod people can't leave behind in the dust of 1.2.5?

As for Extra Utilities (don't ask me why I did EE instead of EU, I don't know myself) I find myself frustrated when using it because, as mentioned, there is no documentation. And it it needs it. You don't discover things need GP until you use them. The chunk loader needs 2, the resonator needs 0 to just over 8 depending where in the cycle it is, upgrades use power for some reason and ultimately the only real option for GP is to make water generators (16 each, but takes up a 5x5 space that only the edges can be shared with other water gens).

I like the idea of GP, but the mod is very much caught up in the throes of "balance"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i used the new extra utilities in a 1.8 pack and i just made lava generators, they were easy and effective

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there something I'm missing with the Chisel mod? I don't know how to interact with it in the world.

That particular functionality hasn't been reimplemented in the 1.10 version yet.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Maiden posted:

Equivilent Exchange? What is that? Some OP mod people can't leave behind in the dust of 1.2.5?

I like the idea of GP, but the mod is very much caught up in the throes of "balance"
lol

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Also the Angel Ring now uses 32GP as well. XU2 really is a throw back to the days of spamming small power generators.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah this all is not helping me with the notion that 1.10.2 mods are for after you have reached then end of a vanilla game. The progression has been poor.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah this all is not helping me with the notion that 1.10.2 mods are for after you have reached then end of a vanilla game. The progression has been poor.

I haven't had that problem with what I'm running, but a lot of old school mods did get heavily changed around (some unfinished) however there are a bunch of new mods on the scene that do help.

That's one thing I'm learning about 1.10.2, it's really about letting go of the attachment to old mods and learning how to use new ones.

EDIT: Does anyone know a way other than Mekanism to move fluids in the world, like how BC pumps/floodgates used to?

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 3, 2016

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Looking for a bukkit mod, hoping the thread can help!

I'm going to reset our server and start a new world (running the latest craftbukkit via spigot) and want to have each player have a random spawn point when they first log in so that we are all spread out in the world.

I'd also like to limit the area so that we don't have people spawning 1,000,000 blocks away from another player.

I'm thinking this is a pretty common request so something must exist... Any ideas?

e: Looks like this one (https://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/randomlocation/) does what I want but doesn't work and hasn't been updated in a while.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 3, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

TheDK posted:

Looking for a bukkit mod, hoping the thread can help!

I'm going to reset our server and start a new world (running the latest craftbukkit via spigot) and want to have each player have a random spawn point when they first log in so that we are all spread out in the world.

I'd also like to limit the area so that we don't have people spawning 1,000,000 blocks away from another player.

I'm thinking this is a pretty common request so something must exist... Any ideas?

e: Looks like this one (https://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/randomlocation/) does what I want but doesn't work and hasn't been updated in a while.

A lot of servers have a hub then use something like TPRandom to spread the people about in the world.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

TheresaJayne posted:

A lot of servers have a hub then use something like TPRandom to spread the people about in the world.
Thanks, that is probably the way to go. A little work required to set up the hub but I can just start people in an obsidian cage or something (ooh or maybe a small floating island in the middle of the void!), let them hit a sign to teleport away, and we're done.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

TheDK posted:

Thanks, that is probably the way to go. A little work required to set up the hub but I can just start people in an obsidian cage or something (ooh or maybe a small floating island in the middle of the void!), let them hit a sign to teleport away, and we're done.

It is also where you can put tutorials, shops and rules boards

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

It is also where you can put tutorials, shops and rules boards

I think shops would conflict with the random teleport exit.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, that's why you need something like the dong rattle in Baby's First Space Race. Well, it looks like a spaceship thanks to Cicadas!, but it totally looked like a penis on a stick before that. Right-click and poof--back to the lobby.

Going back to your random spot? No clue. Randomize the coordinates based on the user's ID?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I think shops would conflict with the random teleport exit.

Most servers have a /spawn command to head back to the Hub, and you can set your home to use with /home to get back to your random location.

most PVP server have the same with damage turned off at spawn so you can shop without being killed

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Since I didn't see it mentioned here, it has apparently been pointed out by the author of Tinker's Construct that his account was hacked and that version 2.5.4 is a trojan.

Someone on the FTB Reddit posted:

It seems to be a ready-made Java trojan, configured to send webcam data to a specific Internet address and mine cryptocurrency. It also seems to allow some degree of machine control, but I'm not sure what it involves exactly - I see references to message boxes and input hooks.

Someone on the FTB Reddit posted:

It also extracts parts of itself into the user's home directory and tries to connect to other computers on the local network.

It also does more than just send webcam data, it attempts to disable the camera indicator light that's present on many webcams.

https://twitter.com/bonusboni/status/784729074753298433

Version 2.5.5 is apparently the actual mod.

This is kind of amusing comming after Curse laid off the team who did reviewed mods being uploaded to curseforge. The file doesn't contain a single bit of TC code in order to mask itself, just a straight up virus.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 9, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I did find the flax seeds in 1.10.2 c/o the Actual Additions mod, so there is some source for string and wool.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did find the flax seeds in 1.10.2 c/o the Actual Additions mod, so there is some source for string and wool.
Immersive Engineering also adds hemp seeds which can be used to get string/wool as well.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Enzer posted:

Since I didn't see it mentioned here, it has apparently been pointed out by the author of Tinker's Construct that his account was hacked and that version 2.5.4 is a trojan.

https://twitter.com/bonusboni/status/784729074753298433

Version 2.5.5 is apparently the actual mod.

This is kind of amusing comming after Curse laid off the team who did reviewed mods being uploaded to curseforge. The file doesn't contain a single bit of TC code in order to mask itself, just a straight up virus.

It was mDiyo's account that was hacked. Boni's account remains secure. Also, only half the team was laid off - and this wouldn't have been caught even if they hadn't been. Most of the big mod authors are on auto-approval or nearly auto, as they're considered trusted. Vazkii demonstrated this earlier in the year. It is a bit disappointing that they haven't taken any steps about that yet.

Fortunately, the file isn't likely to do anything even if you did download it. Being accessed by Forge during game startup wouldn't activate it - the jar would need to be run by itself.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
My Project Ozone 2 that I play through Curse wasn't getting to the Title Screen after working for a while, and after some eyeing the log that it spat out, the stupid loving Twitch Emoticon integration mod, Eiramoticons, was loving up. So in case it's having issues for everyone, try disabling that mod. Fixed it right up for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devor posted:

My Project Ozone 2 that I play through Curse wasn't getting to the Title Screen after working for a while, and after some eyeing the log that it spat out, the stupid loving Twitch Emoticon integration mod, Eiramoticons, was loving up. So in case it's having issues for everyone, try disabling that mod. Fixed it right up for me.
Yeah, I was playing a different pack (Project Ozone 1, as it happens) and suddenly the same thing was happening. gently caress that mod.
That old modstats mod sucks too because it keeps triggering my antivirus scanner on boot.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Serifina posted:

It was mDiyo's account that was hacked. Boni's account remains secure. Also, only half the team was laid off - and this wouldn't have been caught even if they hadn't been. Most of the big mod authors are on auto-approval or nearly auto, as they're considered trusted. Vazkii demonstrated this earlier in the year. It is a bit disappointing that they haven't taken any steps about that yet.

Fortunately, the file isn't likely to do anything even if you did download it. Being accessed by Forge during game startup wouldn't activate it - the jar would need to be run by itself.

What did Vazkii do?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Cerepol posted:

What did Vazkii do?

Deliberately uploaded a "bad" file to Curse to test to see if they were actually checking things.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Googling around for what Vazkii uploaded eventually led me to this, so it's all been worth it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRY0AZgHP1g

AlgorithmX2 has done it again with another insane mod.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah sweet i'll just watch that half-hour video to find out what it does

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So what are the new go-to modpacks? I mostly just want to dick around, build a big fort, make doodads and find doodads. But maybe with Thaumcrafty stuff, or build cool machines or something? I don't know, I haven't played modded Minecraft in almost a year I think if not more. Are we up to newer versions? For a while everything was either 1.5 or 1.7 I think.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

ah sweet i'll just watch that half-hour video to find out what it does

Looks like the tl;dr is full voxel manipulation of blocks. As in, you can cut up blocks pixel by pixel and place those bits to make new shapes. There are of course a lot of time-saving tools to make things easier. Like placing predefined shapes and undo/redoing edits.

It's Microblocks taken to the next level.

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!
Chisels and Bits is extremely powerful, but also EXTREMELY fiddly, and liable to fill your inventory up with weird misshapen lumps. But you can make some really nice things!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRY0AZgHP1g

AlgorithmX2 has done it again with another insane mod.

This is a year old lol (it is an awesome mod though)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mutamu posted:

Chisels and Bits is extremely powerful, but also EXTREMELY fiddly, and liable to fill your inventory up with weird misshapen lumps. But you can make some really nice things!

I really liked the effect that Wyld was messing around with, where you take a bunch of bits from a molten glowy block (say, molten manullyn) and use those to replace the mortar in the joints of a brick block, leaving you with glowy stone bricks that animate like the molten block did. Very cool stuff.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Saxophone posted:

So what are the new go-to modpacks? I mostly just want to dick around, build a big fort, make doodads and find doodads. But maybe with Thaumcrafty stuff, or build cool machines or something? I don't know, I haven't played modded Minecraft in almost a year I think if not more. Are we up to newer versions? For a while everything was either 1.5 or 1.7 I think.

Project Ozone 2 is the funnest skyblock at the moment; it doesn't give a gently caress about "my vision" balance and lets you start making Agricraft-duplicated nether star seeds with 10/10/10 stats within a few hours if you rush. I'm having a lot of fun with the Hermitpack, which is a 1.10 pack that just came out; it's got new Blood Magic, Extra Utilities 2, Refined Storage (AE without the 'my vision' poo poo from AE2), new Tinkers, and a whole bunch of dumb fun poo poo.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Whalley posted:

Project Ozone 2 is the funnest skyblock at the moment; it doesn't give a gently caress about "my vision" balance and lets you start making Agricraft-duplicated nether star seeds with 10/10/10 stats within a few hours if you rush. I'm having a lot of fun with the Hermitpack, which is a 1.10 pack that just came out; it's got new Blood Magic, Extra Utilities 2, Refined Storage (AE without the 'my vision' poo poo from AE2), new Tinkers, and a whole bunch of dumb fun poo poo.

This is an odd pack. It goes and makes stuff difficult to craft and looks like stuff will be balanced for having to work hard with Magical Crops and then ProjectE. And then you get a Mining World portal and a Mekanism digital miner you're no longer playing a skyblock.

Also, gently caress chance cubes in the face. The first one I ever tried opening spawned a flock of bats carrying lit TNT. Luckily I did it on the far corner of my island.

Edit: Wait I may be thinking of Ozone 1.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 13, 2016

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Whalley posted:

This was super helpful! Thanks a ton. I'm probably going to fire up hermitpack next chance I get!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Devor posted:

I really liked the effect that Wyld was messing around with, where you take a bunch of bits from a molten glowy block (say, molten manullyn) and use those to replace the mortar in the joints of a brick block, leaving you with glowy stone bricks that animate like the molten block did. Very cool stuff.

How in the poo poo are people pulling this off in a kludged-together 4-year old Java engine? :stare:

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Whalley posted:

My friends and I are playing HermitPack on our server, it's very odd that they decided to use The One Probe instead of WAILA (and quite frustrating at times). They also included EnderIO, Mekanism, IC2 *and* TechReborn. Like, what was the point of having all of those mods with overlapping features? Also it seems that the 1.10.2 version of FTB Utilities has issues with chunk loading in that it doesn't work at all and the Teams feature isn't nearly as good as the old Friends system in 1.7.10. There are a few mods that we are enjoying though: Actually Additions, Environmental Tech, Mekanism (my first time using it actually), Refined Storage, new Tinkers, etc. We are not impressed with Extra Utilities 2 and find it odd that they didn't include Immersive Engineering which is one of our favorites.

I also setup a SkyExchange server last night, it's interesting enough so far but not without its own issues. Again no WAILA (but has WAWLA) and the ProjectE Transmutation Table will "forget" all of the items you've learned every time you logout but you can just teach it a handful of items and you will suddenly regain all of your learned items again. They included JEI in the client but left it out of the server files so you can't shift-click recipes into the crafting table unless you manually install it on the server.

We are happy to see progress with 1.10.2 mods but they are still early and lack the polish of 1.7.10 which is completely understandable since 1.7.10 has been out for a couple of years now. The new mods are kind of fun to learn but we really miss the Team CoFH mods (MFR, Thermal Expansion, etc).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Whalley posted:

I'm playing Ozone 1 and it's really impressive how much they've bypassed the usual complaints of slow progression. They just don't seem to care, and the game seems a lot richer for it.
The best example was early on: it's got Ex Nihilo and its slow progression, but it also has Botania's Garden of Glass, so rather than having to constantly compost for dirt, then sift that dirt for pebbles, then put the pebbles together for cobblestone, you can just rapidly scrounge up pebbles from any grass/dirt block, immediately. Also, one of the early quests helps you get set up with a very productive cobblestone generator so you're basically set on that real fast. And then you can get magical crops pretty quick, and stop having to constantly sift things.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Are there any 1.10 mods for decorating your base/house/whatever? I liked bibliocraft for this kind of thing, but it seems to be stalled out in 1.8.9 for some reason. I miss having functioning bookshelves :smith:

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Coolnezzz posted:

I also setup a SkyExchange server last night, it's interesting enough so far but not without its own issues. Again no WAILA (but has WAWLA) and the ProjectE Transmutation Table will "forget" all of the items you've learned every time you logout but you can just teach it a handful of items and you will suddenly regain all of your learned items again. They included JEI in the client but left it out of the server files so you can't shift-click recipes into the crafting table unless you manually install it on the server.

See Project E Issue #1325 for the Transmutation Tablet disappearing knowledge (but not EMC) issue. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Coolnezzz posted:

My friends and I are playing HermitPack on our server, it's very odd that they decided to use The One Probe instead of WAILA (and quite frustrating at times). They also included EnderIO, Mekanism, IC2 *and* TechReborn. Like, what was the point of having all of those mods with overlapping features? Also it seems that the 1.10.2 version of FTB Utilities has issues with chunk loading in that it doesn't work at all and the Teams feature isn't nearly as good as the old Friends system in 1.7.10. There are a few mods that we are enjoying though: Actually Additions, Environmental Tech, Mekanism (my first time using it actually), Refined Storage, new Tinkers, etc. We are not impressed with Extra Utilities 2 and find it odd that they didn't include Immersive Engineering which is one of our favorites.

We are happy to see progress with 1.10.2 mods but they are still early and lack the polish of 1.7.10 which is completely understandable since 1.7.10 has been out for a couple of years now. The new mods are kind of fun to learn but we really miss the Team CoFH mods (MFR, Thermal Expansion, etc).

FWIW WAILA hasn't been updated in months (the only 1.10 compatible version is the very first 1.9.4 version) and the current version has some seriously fucky behavior in the nether. If it's enabled the terrain textures flash like crazy.

TOP is the only alternative with similar features out of the box. There's TUMAT, but it's not as robust.