Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Xarn posted:

Why do then the new MS UWP apps suck so drat badly?

they're all really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shaggar posted:

they're all really good

was kinda with you up to this point

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that unum guy had a debate with kahan recently, havent watched the vid but the slides are of interest

http://arith23.gforge.inria.fr/slides/Gustafson.pdf
http://arith23.gforge.inria.fr/slides/Kahan.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZAeZBVAzVw

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
is there a way to access help files for C++ like the way you can easily get them in R or whatever, Xcode only includes obj c help files

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if you're doing c++ it's too late. you're on your own. there is no help coming.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

is there a way to access help files for C++ like the way you can easily get them in R or whatever, Xcode only includes obj c help files

press alt f4

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you type the fully qualified type name into Google and then cuss loudly whenever clicking the first result takes you to cplusplus.com instead of cppreference.com

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

that unum guy had a debate with kahan recently, havent watched the vid but the slides are of interest

http://arith23.gforge.inria.fr/slides/Gustafson.pdf
http://arith23.gforge.inria.fr/slides/Kahan.pdf

summary: he's a total crank who doesn't understand the major literature of the fields he's supposedly obviating and is making wild, unfounded claims about the efficiency of his proposals

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i made it through about 10 of those "slides" before i felt the awful shudder of academic politics and closed the tab

people like that are the worst

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rjmccall posted:

summary: he's a total crank who doesn't understand the major literature of the fields he's supposedly obviating and is making wild, unfounded claims about the efficiency of his proposals

im watching it now and tbh kahan's not coming across that great but gustafson is mostly just compaining

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh god, i didn't even look at gustafson's slides, they're just pure crank

it takes him less than 10 slides to bring up his book's #1 amazon sales rank in the doubtlessly rich category of Number Systems

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

gustafson is mostly just compaining

"only 8% of the world knows calculus and this means that only 8% of the world can use floating point"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rjmccall posted:

objection: traipsing about ignoring byte and/or cache line boundaries is expensive
counter: GUYS ITS A LINKED LIST, C'MON

fritz posted:

"only 8% of the world knows calculus and this means that only 8% of the world can use floating point"
reminds me of the guy in my college calc class who disagreed with the fundamental theorem of calculus, because "what if you zoom in and it's nonlinear"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

JawnV6 posted:

objection: traipsing about ignoring byte and/or cache line boundaries is expensive
counter: GUYS ITS A LINKED LIST, C'MON

reminds me of the guy in my college calc class who disagreed with the fundamental theorem of calculus, because "what if you zoom in and it's nonlinear"

did you tell him that you already zoomed in all the way?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

leper khan posted:

did you tell him that you already zoomed in all the way?
it was a strange belief that only seemed to manifest during lecture, and lol at the idea of discussing it with a plebe like me

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i knew a guy like that too. if you give him the benefit of the doubt, it means he's into infinitesimals and will end up down the rabbit hole of non-standard analysis. let him go

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i knew a guy like that too. if you give him the benefit of the doubt, it means he's into infinitesimals and will end up down the rabbit hole of non-standard analysis. let him go

dude but hyperreals though

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

you type the fully qualified type name into Google and then cuss loudly whenever clicking the first result takes you to cplusplus.com instead of cppreference.com

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

pseudorandom name posted:

This except you have custom search set up for cppreference.com because you are not a dumb dumb.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Xarn posted:

This except you have custom search set up for cppreference.com because you are not a dumb dumb.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

!cpp

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just used Java REPL to write a stream operation that loaded the values of an enum we have, sorted them, and printed them out in a format somebody else needed. Felt good man.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
building C++ code in Xcode is hell on earth. whatever is building my code does strange things like replace var values with gibberish from memory sometimes, and then does so consistently until I have to copy over my code into a new project to fix it

but at least I get some human readable feedback on it unlike writing it in a text editor and building using clang in terminal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

even eclipse is better than Xcode for c++

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gently caress I'd rather use qt creator on non qt code

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

building C++ code in Xcode is hell on earth. whatever is building my code does strange things like replace var values with gibberish from memory sometimes, and then does so consistently until I have to copy over my code into a new project to fix it

but at least I get some human readable feedback on it unlike writing it in a text editor and building using clang in terminal

just use clion

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

hobbesmaster posted:

gently caress I'd rather use qt creator on non qt code

i just use vim with syntastic and youcompleteme. it's pretty good.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just use visual studio

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Bloody posted:

just use visual studio

This.

If you cannot run VS, YOSPOS!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Xarn posted:

This.

If you cannot run VS, YOSPOS!

I have VS in a VM. it's alright, I guess.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

leper khan posted:

I have VS in a VM. it's alright, I guess.

this is what I do when Xcode has failed me completely

going to see what clion is like

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
clion is cool but is miles behind IntelliJ unfortunately

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://github.com/p-org/P

a literal p-lang

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

leper khan posted:

i just use vim with syntastic and youcompleteme. it's pretty good.

i tried to check this out but youcompleteme is not nice to install

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

they're programs are made of P 😂😂😂😂

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i tried to check this out but youcompleteme is not nice to install

it's also, from my experience, incredibly slow and vim being vim halts everything while it tries to figure out what to autocomplete. maybe it's fine on smaller codebases.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

netcat posted:

it's also, from my experience, incredibly slow and vim being vim halts everything while it tries to figure out what to autocomplete. maybe it's fine on smaller codebases.

yeah, most of the projects I work on are in the 10s/low 100s, not 1000s KLOC. on larger projects I end up turning off automatically looking for completions. I've also been working in C# a lot lately, which I use monodevelop for completion through omnisharp and doesn't suffer quite so much from that issue. if stuck on java, I use eclim which is also surprisingly nice.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
youcompleteme trip report: we have like 50k LOC (python) in this project and its really slow and not very useful b/c i already know what most of the poo poo does anyway

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

youcompleteme trip report: we have like 50k LOC (python) in this project and its really slow and not very useful b/c i already know what most of the poo poo does anyway

ironically youcompleteme is written in python iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this kind of gigantic surface-area is a bit of a java'ism anyway (a million tiny and arbitrarily delineated abstraction units tossed in a pile without thought), ideally you'll have codebases which do not require an encyclopedic knowledge of the breadth of the system