Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That was a badly coached game and they're having an awful season but firing Brian Kelly would be extremely stupid. So hopefully they do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Well, Les Miles would probably take the ND job I guess

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

That was a badly coached game and they're having an awful season but firing Brian Kelly would be extremely stupid. So hopefully they do it!

I think it would be an overreaction but not confident about that since haven't really watched any of their games to know what's wrong.

But I mean the rest of their schedule is:

Stanford
Miami
@Navy
Army
Virginia Tech
@USC

They're going to be underdogs in all of those games except for Army and it's kinda tough to see them getting more than two wins out of those 6 games. Can Notre Dame keeps a guy who loses 7+ games?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Real Name Grover posted:

Well, Les Miles would probably take the ND job I guess

Les just needs to embrace Gameday. It is his destiny.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Brian Kelly wouldn't let his ubertalented team stop trying to throw against the full might of Poseidon, he deserves to get canned

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh I agree 120%

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Silly Burrito posted:

Les Miles to replace Corso?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kayakyakr posted:

Les Miles to replace Corso?

That makes a hell of a lot of sense, considering Corso is 81. We all know Les loves to wear fun hats.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Silly Burrito posted:

That makes a hell of a lot of sense, considering Corso is 81. We all know Les loves to wear fun hats.

Les Miles to make his pick based on the quality of the home team grass.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some SEC incest would be funny, but there's no school looking to hire Les, sadly.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Adun posted:

Can Notre Dame keeps a guy who loses 7+ games?

It's really easy to keep him actually, he's under contract.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

Some SEC incest would be funny, but there's no school looking to hire Les, sadly.

I mean this time last year we would have said the same thing about Muschamp.

Jesus Christ how did someone hire Will Muschamp?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

whiteyfats posted:

Les Miles 2 Vandy

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

whiteyfats posted:

There are plenty of schools who would LOVE to hire a coach who has won a national championship and can pretty much guarantee them a bowl game every season

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Spintzel posted:

There are plenty of schools who would LOVE to hire a coach who has won a national championship and can pretty much guarantee them a bowl game every season

Yeah but we're talking about Les Miles

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spintzel posted:

Les Miles would be more than welcome to come Spurrier it up in Houston.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah but we're talking about Les Miles

If Larry Coker can find a job three years after being booted from Miami, I think Les should be just fine.

Honestly I think the only way he doesn't have a job is if he just decides to take a break

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Korranus posted:

Les Miles would be more than welcome to come Spurrier it up in Houston.

Man, going from Herman to the Cam Cameron special would be quite a reversal.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

djdanno13 posted:

Helfrich and strong?

For Helfrich, I honestly have no idea who would or could come in to fix things. Does Oregon continue its in-house and hire back Scott Frost from UCF, or do they hire some young-ish new coach we've never heard about.

Please please please though don't make Brady Hoke interim coach.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Maxwells Demon posted:

For Helfrich, I honestly have no idea who would or could come in to fix things. Does Oregon continue its in-house and hire back Scott Frost from UCF, or do they hire some young-ish new coach we've never heard about.

Please please please though don't make Brady Hoke interim coach.

Does Uncle Phil make it rain nike money to bring back Kelly?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
No. Helfrich & Hoke need to both be fired into the sun. Hire Tom Herman. This 4-3 dumpster fire has got to go. There's absolutely no way the boosters allow this to continue to season end.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SeaborneClink posted:

Hire Tom Herman.

Yeah how hard can that be to do

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Who are the hot names out there for hire right now?

PJ Fleck
Tom Herman
I guess Les Miles and Art Briles count
Charles Strong will probably be fine as long as he's not in the Big 12 because the Big 12 is weird as gently caress to do well in if you weren't brought up in it
Charles Kelly I promise he's great please hire him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
WKU's kinda whatever this year but Jeff Brohm is an amazing offensive coach. He's like a younger Petrino without all the baggage.

Taggert's turned things around at USF after doing a good job at WKU before that and is a great recruiter

Brent Venables seems like he should get a head coaching job at some point but Clemson already pays him like one so he can be picky

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 10, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Brent Venables seems like he should get a head coaching job at some point but Clemson already pays him like one so he can be picky

I've heard rumors that he's got some skeletons that keep teams from paying him enough to get him to leave Clemson.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Does Uncle Phil make it rain nike money to bring back Kelly?

Chip Kelly I've kind of always felt like he prefers the NFL: Doesn't have to do recruiting, no elbow-rubbing boosters, and one game can actually be the actual, real super bowl instead of calling every game the super bowl.

So I don't think daddy's coming back.

Could Bryan Harsin be Nike Money'd from BSU to UO?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

Chip Kelly I've kind of always felt like he prefers the NFL: Doesn't have to do recruiting, no elbow-rubbing boosters, and one game can actually be the actual, real super bowl instead of calling every game the super bowl.

So I don't think daddy's coming back.

Could Bryan Harsin be Nike Money'd from BSU to UO?

Seems like hiring Harsin would just be like hiring a poor man's Helfrich. He's another relatively unproven caretaker of somebody else's program.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eastern Michigan has 4 wins

Hire that guy

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SeaborneClink posted:

No. Helfrich & Hoke need to both be fired into the sun. Hire Tom Herman. This 4-3 dumpster fire has got to go. There's absolutely no way the boosters allow this to continue to season end.

Did you really expect the 3-4 to 4-3 transition to be that smooth? I figured this year would be a wash on defense and they are ranked about where they were this time last year so I'm willing to be patient there. Next year's recruits are looking a lot more solid on defense than previous years so there's hope.

I'd be surprised if Oregon can get Herman. Someone like Beau Baldwin from Eastern Washington or Bryan Harsin as mentioned are probably more likely.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

dphi posted:

Did you really expect the 3-4 to 4-3 transition to be that smooth?
No I think it was an idiotic transition to make full stop.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oregon has a lot of money but it's not like they've ever been a huge destination for coaches. Kelly was a I-AA OC who almost no one had heard of when the hired him. Helfrich pre-Oregon was a middling coordinator at Colorado. To think that they're gonna be able to beat out LSU and possibly Texas for someone seems a tad optimistic

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oregon strikes me as the kind of program with insular-rear end boosters who want to keep everything in-house, so they'll keep hiring Bellotti/Chip coaching tree guys because that worked so well when USC did it with Pete's tree.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They should go outside themselves a bit, but still get someone with experience in the Northwest. Hmm, I don't think Ty Willingham is up to much these days

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SeaborneClink posted:

No I think it was an idiotic transition to make full stop.

Ah, yeah, I wasn't sold on the transition but since it's done I'm willing to see what they can do with it given the proper personnel.

I don't think Oregon hires from within again if they decide to replace Helfrich, there just isn't anyone in a good position to be promoted. If they don't find someone out of a small pool of names that's willing to take the job, they'll probably just stick with Helfrich.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They could also follow Washington's lead and get another Boise State guy.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

General Dog posted:

They should go outside themselves a bit, but still get someone with experience in the Northwest. Hmm, I don't think Ty Willingham is up to much these days

Or maybe Sark!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe Les could bring his folksy down-home charm to the Pacific Northeast? :iiam:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
With Nike/Papé money how quickly could we write a check to get the field turf replaced? Can we pull the same trick we used with the north side of the stadium? "Hey Phil we decided to gift you the field, it's in pretty bad shape you might need to hire some landscapers..." We do have a bye week coming up :tinfoil:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oregon going to boring rear end Les-ball would be awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Oregon needs to focus on defense, just promote Hoke to HC and let him do his thing

• Locked thread