Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

They still look amazing, even with Snapseed you need a good starting shot. I really want Pixel full reviews to come in, I'm really wondering about battery life for one.

I'm with you, mostly just posted it for full disclosure. My order changed to pending today :bubblewoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

withoutclass posted:

I'm with you, mostly just posted it for full disclosure. My order changed to pending today :bubblewoop:

With the cost of it here I'm waiting for full reviews and people to play around with it for a bit before buying, but it's definitely tempting. Too bad I can't get work to buy me one, since we're Samsung only :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

we're Samsung only :(
How does that even happen

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It fixed mine too. It's something in the white switch on the PCB that fucks up, not that actual switch (or it still remains clicky when it's hosed.) I removed my power button and taped over the hole, got an app that let's me turn it on using the power button and now I'm constantly stressed about it running out of battery and me breaking it again by turning it on. When I get a new one I might see if I can get the part and solder it on.

I had the same problem with my marathon mouse, and those switches are big enough that I actually was able to open and repair the switch. The solder on the pase of the click tab had cracked so I just reflowed it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How does that even happen

Knox.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

withoutclass posted:

My order changed to pending today :bubblewoop:

Same, says estimated Oct 26-28th. I'm assuming that's gonna be the ship date?

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

100% Dundee posted:

Same, says estimated Oct 26-28th. I'm assuming that's gonna be the ship date?

I think it's typically the estimated arrival date but I'm basing this on buying stuff already in stock previously.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Retail availability is supposed to be the 20th. So, 26-28 arrival date makes sense if they ship out on the 20th.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's completely unfair and out of context, but when is the media ever fair... The Note 7 is toast as long as outlets keep running stuff like this.
https://mobile.twitter.com/nypost/status/784924488643194880

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would argue it's already a lost cause. In related news, another replaced one allegedly went up.

http://www.androidcentral.com/alleged-replacement-note-7-catches-fire-minnesota

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, what are the least expensive halfway-decent phones if you're not in the US and can't get a Nexus 5X through Project Fi? Newegg.ca has a 32 GB international version of the 5X for $365, which seems to be the cheapest you can get a new one here, but it says the warranty is only 30 days.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grog posted:

So, what are the least expensive halfway-decent phones if you're not in the US and can't get a Nexus 5X through Project Fi? Newegg.ca has a 32 GB international version of the 5X for $365, which seems to be the cheapest you can get a new one here, but it says the warranty is only 30 days.

That'd be the retail warranty. It should be covered past there by the manufacturer warranty; how long that is probably depends on your local laws.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I sent a message to their customer support to try to get more details about it. I've seen a bunch of listings that state there's no warranty or a US warranty, so it would be nice to know before buying anything. They might just say to contact LG Canada directly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wow. Samsung's rep accidentally sent this text to one of the people who had their repellent replacement note 7's catch fire.

"Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it"

http://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/10/9/13215728/samsung-galaxy-note-7-third-fire-smoke-inhalation

Also that's at least 3 replacement note 3's that have blown up. And Samsung trying to cover it up to boot.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow. Samsung's rep accidentally sent this text to one of the people who had their repellent replacement note 7's catch fire.

"Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it"

http://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/10/9/13215728/samsung-galaxy-note-7-third-fire-smoke-inhalation

Also that's at least 3 replacement note 3's that have blown up. And Samsung trying to cover it up to boot.

So this moves the whole thing into criminally negligent territory here soon

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp, they're hosed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

trash person posted:

So this moves the whole thing into criminally negligent territory here soon

Texts = conspiracy.

At least reckless, if not specifically intentional.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sounds like the guy wanted to hold on to his blown up phone and tell the media instead of sending the phone to Samsung. Seems more like a "hey, this guy is threatening to gently caress us what should I do," text than something shady.

Of course, accidentally sending him that is not a good look. You should always speak as if the client is always watching in case this happens. Customer service 101 bruh.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

azurite posted:

Sounds like the guy wanted to hold on to his blown up phone and tell the media instead of sending the phone to Samsung. Seems more like a "hey, this guy is threatening to gently caress us what should I do," text than something shady.

Of course, accidentally sending him that is not a good look. You should always speak as if the client is always watching in case this happens. Customer service 101 bruh.

...Samsung having the attitude that "this guy is threatening to gently caress us" is 100% the wrong attitude to have. That's the entire issue. The company's rushed development and shoddy product put them in this situation, a guy who was sent to the hospital isn't loving them, they're loving themselves. And anyone involved in this situation thinking they need to slow someone down suggests to the general public that they still haven't learned their lesson and is completely inappropriate.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My Pixel is pending too. I was able to sell my 5x already for a decent amount so I'm happy trading up. I wish google would get their act together though and make the accessories available too.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Grog posted:

I'm not sure about internationally but I just did the research on this in the US and it looked like the Moto G4 was the best of the bunch in the $200 range.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

sleepwalkers posted:

...Samsung having the attitude that "this guy is threatening to gently caress us" is 100% the wrong attitude to have. That's the entire issue. The company's rushed development and shoddy product put them in this situation, a guy who was sent to the hospital isn't loving them, they're loving themselves. And anyone involved in this situation thinking they need to slow someone down suggests to the general public that they still haven't learned their lesson and is completely inappropriate.

I was commenting from a customer service perspective. As in, imagine you're the poor guy handling the call for the guy whose phone just blew up. It's a perfectly reasonable reaction to want to placate the customer rather than sit back and have him do whatever he was threatening to do.

I get that Samsung majorly hosed up (twice probably) and needs to do everything in their power to make this right. I'm not defending the company, but let's be real now, they're really trying to blow the out-of-context message out of proportion.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's completely unfair and out of context, but when is the media ever fair... The Note 7 is toast as long as outlets keep running stuff like this.
https://mobile.twitter.com/nypost/status/784924488643194880

Seeing as people are saying Samsungs are blowing up, not Note 7s, the question is: how badly is Samsung toast?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

azurite posted:

Maybe? From the article: "Samsung asked Klering if they could take possession of the phone and he said no..." It doesn't say what he was intending to do. Maybe he wanted a bit something extra from Samsung in exchange for keeping quiet?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe? From the article: "Samsung asked Klering if they could take possession of the phone and he said no..." It doesn't say what he was intending to do. Maybe he wanted a bit something extra from Samsung in exchange for keeping quiet?

Seeing as how he had to go to the hospital due to acute bronchitis caused by smoke inhalation, I'm betting his counsel is telling him not to give up the physical evidence at this time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Seeing as people are saying Samsungs are blowing up, not Note 7s, the question is: how badly is Samsung toast?

Don't be hyperbolically stupid, "Samsung" isn't toast at all, they're a massive international conglomerate that makes far more than just phones. Their phone lines are not dead whatsoever too, they just have an uphill PR battle now.

Also iPhone 6s are catching fire now too so clearly Apple is feeling left out.

Moral of the story is, all phones are poo poo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If my replacement Note 7 lights on fire, I'll gladly keep my mouth shut if Samsung gives me a buttload of money.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Uthor posted:

Judging by the photos, I'd say "well done" :rimshot:

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't be hyperbolically stupid, "Samsung" isn't toast at all, they're a massive international conglomerate that makes far more than just phones. Their phone lines are not dead whatsoever too, they just have an uphill PR battle now.

Also iPhone 6s are catching fire now too so clearly Apple is feeling left out.

Moral of the story is, all phones are poo poo.

I don't know how someone could misunderstand the sheer magnitude between the circumstances regarding the Note 7's continued hazardous nature and Samsung's lackadaisical response versus standard lithium ion fires.

I mean, there's a reason AT&T is literally halting all Note 7 sales.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13219054/att-samsung-galaxy-note-7-stop-sales

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not "misunderstanding" anything, did you even read my post? I did not make any comment about Samsung's response to the fires.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

I did read your post. You dismissed the damage this will cause Samsung, shrugged it off as it simply causing nothing more than an 'uphill PR battle', attempted to equate it to iPhones catching fire, and saying all phones are poo poo.

I mean I'm not sure you know what words in general mean if you think that isn't downplaying the situation Samsung has found itself in.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

trash person posted:

I did read your post. You dismissed the damage this will cause Samsung, shrugged it off as it simply causing nothing more than an 'uphill PR battle', attempted to equate it to iPhones catching fire, and saying all phones are poo poo.

I mean I'm not sure you know what words in general mean if you think that isn't downplaying the situation Samsung has found itself in.

Uh. Are you saying it's not an uphill PR battle? Should I have used more hyperbolic language for you? Okay, here: Samsung royally hosed up and they're facing a disaster of their own doing. That better?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh. Are you saying it's not an uphill PR battle? Should I have used more hyperbolic language for you? Okay, here: Samsung royally hosed up and they're facing a disaster of their own doing. That better?

It has the potential to be quite a bit more than an 'uphill PR battle'. It's not hyperbole when it's true. I mean, I don't know how you can see this as anything but a disaster. They accidentally sent out a text to a customer talking about keeping him quiet for Christ's sake

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

trash person posted:

It has the potential to be quite a bit more than an 'uphill PR battle'. It's not hyperbole when it's true. I mean, I don't know how you can see this as anything but a disaster. They accidentally sent out a text to a customer talking about keeping him quiet for Christ's sake

I know, and I didn't even mention that in any of my posts. Now that you did and seems to want to make sure I think the right thing about it, yes, that text was brutally and dangerously stupid.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Welp, since my HTC One M7 is making GBS threads itself and everything coming out is either not worth the money or still an unknown I punted and bought HTC One M9. I've decided 5" is absolutely as far as I'm going on screen size atleast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ATT will not longer give out Note 7s as exchanges for note 7s. Expect other carriers to follow soon.

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-suspends-galaxy-note-7-exchange-amid-new-fire-reports/

The model is irreparably damaged in the US now. You'll never be allowed to use them on a plane and their resale value will completely tank.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

trash person posted:

You're being weird. I don't think anyone disagreed with you or said otherwise.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

ATT will not longer give out Note 7s as exchanges for note 7s. Expect other carriers to follow soon.

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-suspends-galaxy-note-7-exchange-amid-new-fire-reports/

The model is irreparably damaged in the US now. You'll never be allowed to use them on a plane and their resale value will completely tank.

The whole world got samsung'd. dang.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

incoherent posted:

The whole world got samsung'd. dang.

I'm sure they'll get it right next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I can't decide if I should be job hunting with all this poo poo going down :sigh: