Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I quite like how Betazoids are identical to humans, except for their inky black irises. It's subtle and really really made Suder even creepier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I quite like how Betazoids are identical to humans, except for their inky black irises. It's subtle and really really made Suder even creepier.

I like how that is absolutely a thing I would never have ever noticed watching TNG on anything but a modern HDTV with the HD remaster.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have never in my life noticed that Diana Troi had black contact lenses, and I watched TNG religiously and saw two of those terrible TNG movies at the theatre.

Then Lon Suder comes in with loving crazy eyes and I learn they all should look like that?

I just feel bad for Marina Sirtis having to wear useless eye contacts for years. And for bothering with an invented accent that no one followed up on.

For a Betazed, Troi is oddly prudish.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Subyng posted:

What constitutes as "alien" in Star trek is usually some really weak bullshit. You can give them a pass on the makeup; just assume that all aliens actually look way more hideous than depicted. But when it comes to describing things that don't need to be visually rendered, you don't have such limits. Wow, Vulcans have GREEN blood? Ferengi have FOUR lobes? Boring. How about, "wow, did you know Klingons have a decentralized nervous system? If you cut its head off they keep going and eventually grow a new one! Explains why they don't view violence in a negative light; it's actually really hard to fully kill a Klingon"

"Vulcan blood actually contains a potent neurotoxin. When Spock performs the neck pinch, microscopic needles on the finger tips actually inject this substance into the bloodstream, rendering the victim unconscious. Of course, this substance is not toxic to vulcans, but it does cause psychotropic effects when transferred among vulcans, giving rise to the phenomenon known as a mind meld. During this process these molecules are exchanged and travel into the brain and cause specific patterns of neurons to fire in each participant allowing them to experience each others thoughts

or some poo poo like that.

:spergin:
Well the question becomes "what does this do for the narrative," though of course to some extent it's exploring these ideas. The Trill are extremely hosed up - I saw that one where some dude comes up to symbiotejack Jadzia the other night. Very effective. I wonder what would have happened to that guy if he'd fully integrated with Dax.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Subyng posted:

What constitutes as "alien" in Star trek is usually some really weak bullshit. You can give them a pass on the makeup; just assume that all aliens actually look way more hideous than depicted. But when it comes to describing things that don't need to be visually rendered, you don't have such limits. Wow, Vulcans have GREEN blood? Ferengi have FOUR lobes? Boring. How about, "wow, did you know Klingons have a decentralized nervous system? If you cut its head off they keep going and eventually grow a new one! Explains why they don't view violence in a negative light; it's actually really hard to fully kill a Klingon"

"Vulcan blood actually contains a potent neurotoxin. When Spock performs the neck pinch, microscopic needles on the finger tips actually inject this substance into the bloodstream, rendering the victim unconscious. Of course, this substance is not toxic to vulcans, but it does cause psychotropic effects when transferred among vulcans, giving rise to the phenomenon known as a mind meld. During this process these molecules are exchanged and travel into the brain and cause specific patterns of neurons to fire in each participant allowing them to experience each others thoughts

or some poo poo like that.

:spergin:

yeah it turns out most of the "aliens" in space opera aren't actually alien, they're just people that look a little different

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah it turns out most of the "aliens" in space opera aren't actually alien, they're just people that look a little different

Just like real life aliens!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

remusclaw posted:

I like how that is absolutely a thing I would never have ever noticed watching TNG on anything but a modern HDTV with the HD remaster.

mind blown

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I had no clue at all about the Betazoid eye thing until someone in the thread mentioned it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Just saw the one where Riker temporarily gets assigned to a Klingon ship. What a loving champion, just chowing into all that Klingon food, getting into fights and taking command of the ship when poo poo goes down. Plus he totally nailed those Klingon chicks.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pwnstar posted:

Just saw the one where Riker temporarily gets assigned to a Klingon ship. What a loving champion, just chowing into all that Klingon food, getting into fights and taking command of the ship when poo poo goes down. Plus he totally nailed those Klingon chicks.

Riker just owns more and more as the show goes on. Not Thomas Riker though that dude is a loving dweeb

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Phimosissy posted:

Just watched TNG 4.17 Night Terrors, which is a pretty good episode and one I'll always remember for the X-Files style freakout of the dead bodies sitting up on Crusher.

At the very end, Data orders Picard to bed, and Picard walks down and enters the door just to the left of the viewscreen and it's a turbolift instead of the ready room. What the gently caress just happened?

EDIT:

looking at bridge layouts on the google, it appears that there is a turbolift door and the ready room right there. You can now mock me for being dumb. I really don't remember that turbolift. Is that where Worf went in that other mindfuck episode where the door opened from one bridge to an identical bridge?

The doesn't that turbolift go directly to the battle bridge?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pwnstar posted:

"One... or both?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't all turbolifts go everywhere like a Wonkavator?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Phimosissy posted:

Don't all turbolifts go everywhere like a Wonkavator?

I think there's supposed to be one that only goes between the two bridges to ensure the senior staff can evac to the backup bridge quickly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Which to be honest doesn't make a lot of sense given that the computer should be able to prioritise; just have the direct shaft as part of the main system.

Ah, whatever, they didn't put much thought into it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That doesn't make sense. We know he grabbed film clips and sold cels and clips (and other trinkets) through Lincoln Enterprises; if he had taken the whole episode negatives and been willing to sell them, how would the lack of eBay have prevented him from doing so?

I have a hard time believing Paramount would have accepted him walking off with everything. They still wanted to sell the series in syndication, even if they didn't have high hopes for it early on.

Hyperbole.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
There's no guilt in skipping Nagus/Ferengi episodes and mirror universe episodes in DS9, is there?

We just can't listen to Zek's horrific, cringey voice, all the "females" bullshit.

The magnificent Ferengi was pretty awesome however.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Falken posted:

There's no guilt in skipping Nagus/Ferengi episodes and mirror universe episodes in DS9, is there?

We just can't listen to Zek's horrific, cringey voice, all the "females" bullshit.

There is great shame in skipping Ferengi episodes which should be accompanied by massive feelings of guilt.

One (you know which one) is excusable maybe.

Mirror episodes don't really matter I guess if it's not your thing.

True fans bij and don't skip. :gowron:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's true, once you learn to really sit back and experience Bij, the burden of Trekdom becomes bearable.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Falken posted:

Profit and Lace is skippable, the others aren't. :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's Wallace Shawn, you can take your pick of things to laugh about

"My Dinner with Moogie"
"Not pursuing profit? Inconceivable!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Which to be honest doesn't make a lot of sense given that the computer should be able to prioritise; just have the direct shaft as part of the main system.

An independent direct line in case of accident/damage/general failure of the main system seems pretty well-thought to me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The one next to the ready room is a normal turbolift. The one to the right of the viewscreen goes straight to the battle bridge.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just watched Schisms last night and it definitely takes the cake for "the computer can tell you that a crew member was abducted from the ship, but it won't alert you when it actually happens". I think that's one of the dumbest things about TNG for me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Just watched Schisms last night and it definitely takes the cake for "the computer can tell you that a crew member was abducted from the ship, but it won't alert you when it actually happens". I think that's one of the dumbest things about TNG for me.

Been doing early DS9 and this would solve about half those plots to, at least they pay lip service to the "dam Cardaissian computer" sometimes.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey, it's just a space supercomputer that can answer questions intelligently and generate holograms capable of taking over the ship, it's not your babysitter.

As far as DS9 Ferengi stuff they are mostly watchable with Profit and Lace being utterly skippable, and The Magnificent Ferengi being the highlight of Ferengi-centric episodes with everything else falling somewhere in the middle.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 9, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe the enterprise is like my work where one of the managers keeps turning off Nagios alerts because it sends too many emails

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm okay with it when Q's responsible, because at least then it's trivial to say "well Q also futzed with the ship's computer when he teleported Picard away" or whatever.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of the computer, I love the Federation's approach to privacy, or freedom of information I guess. Anyone aboard, including civilians, can ask where someone else is, and the computer totally doesn't respond with "gently caress off unless you have command clearance" or something to that effect.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Flakey posted:

Speaking of the computer, I love the Federation's approach to privacy, or freedom of information I guess. Anyone aboard, including civilians, can ask where someone else is, and the computer totally doesn't respond with "gently caress off unless you have command clearance" or something to that effect.

"Computer, locate Ensign Ricky"

"Ensign Ricky is currently in his quarters nailing his wife. Shall I contact him for you?"

"...no, let him finish"

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

tigersklaw posted:

"Ensign Ricky is currently in his quarters refuckulating his wife. Shall I contact him for you?"

"...no, let him finish"

:v:

Is it unfuckulating?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tigersklaw posted:

"Ensign Ricky is currently in his quarters nailing his wife. Shall I contact him for you?"

"...no, let him finish"

"Ensign Ricky will finish in approximately 3.2 seconds."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

"Ensign Ricky will finish in approximately 3.2 seconds."

Correction: ensign Ricky was unable to maintain an erection and will not finish

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Ensign Ricky is in his quarters masturbating to the latest issue of the Duras swimsuit calendar

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Ensign Ricky is in his quarters masturbating to the latest issue of the Duras swimsuit calendar

While enjoying a bottle of this, I would assume.

A flavor that betrays the tongue.....from a vineyard without honor!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Much like whether or not you need to tap the communicator pin in order to use it. I swear it's different every other episode.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I watched "Melora" last night and experienced bij. Not so much for the handi-capable message as that Melora just stated all that stuff like she was reading off a FAQ page on HandiCapablenotHandiCapped.com. It came off particularly weird because it all got presented as if she was a hew-mon with some degenerative or low-G condition, but she's actually an alien from some microgravity planet.

So I'd think that this would more strongly inform her character, or at least how the concept was portrayed. You could even keep all the chair/brace props and just have her come off more as pugnacious because her people aren't a bunch of sissy wimps just because their bones are fragile and their muscles are skimpy. Have her be standing up (so to speak) for her people, instead of it being so individually focused. This also made the B-plot very strange, even leaving aside the fact that Bashir just apparently shoved some kind of neural stimulator into her in order to prompt her to muscle up because, I guess, gently caress you, frontier medicine.

Then in the next episode I instantly spotted the female Ferengi in male clothes, so maybe I'm just the Discerning Audience.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

Then in the next episode I instantly spotted the female Ferengi in male clothes, so maybe I'm just the Discerning Audience.

DS9 was very progressive with trans issues

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

DS9 was very progressive with trans issues
This was the one with the prosthetic lobes, not... that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Pakled posted:

Profit and Lace is skippable, the others aren't. :colbert: