Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Starhawk64 posted:

So do this game finally let you goof off in free roam shenanigans or is it very heavily scripted like the last two games?

Also, do they make you obey traffic laws in this game? That poo poo got old real fast in the previous games.

This game must have been made for you. It's heavily scripted at the start but then it opens up a couple hours in. Traffic laws don't seem to mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cops barely matter, they only care if you break a law while the blue indicator is really big and you get a perk to make them ignore you for only 1500 bucks.

Is there really a point in hiding bodies, because it's not like metal gear where a body alerts the entire station. If anything, they're good bait for more stealth stabbing.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm going to pass on this game for now since it sounds like the PC port is a bug-ridden mess at the moment, not to mention I've sworn to never pay $60 for a AAA game ever again.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ok it looks much better with AA off. I don't think it's quite as bad as Arkham Knight where turning AA on literally got rid of some lights and stuff, but it definitely looks better without.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Did you finish Mafia 2? Joe was killed for what he and Vito did. Vito was spared as a favor by Leo

Joe definitely survived past the events of Mafia 2, just a debate of how long. Some people are saying he died like Vito said he did but there's no reason for the camera to focus on random fat guy bodyguard with the same face/nose at the end.

Has anyone else seen that ending? Mafia 4 is going to be pretty interesting if that was sequel bait rather than DLC bait.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Joe definitely survived past the events of Mafia 2, just a debate of how long. Some people are saying he died like Vito said he did but there's no reason for the camera to focus on random fat guy bodyguard with the same face/nose at the end.

Has anyone else seen that ending? Mafia 4 is going to be pretty interesting if that was sequel bait rather than DLC bait.

At the end of what? Joes Adventures? I haven't played through that in a while so I don't remember how it ends (though I'm pretty sure it doesn't provide any info besides what he did while Vito was in jail). The end of the main campaign is pretty clear that joe gets taken off and killed. Unless he somehow escaped from some mafia guys driving him somewhere and did something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-VcmPM8NdY&t=151s

Edit: You mean the end of Mafia 3? I haven't finished it, so I don't know.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Deakul posted:

lol if u think $30 or $60 is enough money to get upset about lmao get an adult job kid

When you say poo poo like this there should be a rule to put your salary and job lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not to mention age.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Guys, help, I think I'm about to buy this game. I can't resist what I've seen of the story and setting, it just seems really awesome. I'm down for some solid gunplay and sneakmans, as well as driving around collecting titty magazines.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Go for it. The gunplay is good, the main gameplay loop is rinse and repeat gunplay (which if you like enough is a good thing), and there are lots more to the titty magazines this time around. You can actually read interviews they had with key figures of the time and it's actually loving awesome.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

man nurse posted:

Guys, help, I think I'm about to buy this game. I can't resist what I've seen of the story and setting, it just seems really awesome. I'm down for some solid gunplay and sneakmans, as well as driving around collecting titty magazines.

you should buy it, but wait till it's like $30. you can read real titty magazines in the meantime

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Man either I suck at these types of games now or this game is harder than usual. Playing on medium and if I got a retaliation squad out on me it's hellish to fight them off, and enemy accuracy is better than I've seen in a game in a long time (i.e sprinting in other games means you don't really get hit much but you will get put down in this game if not in cover.) I like it this way though, the game hasn't really gotten easier as I've played and I'm still sticking to cover / running out of ammo / melee fighting and all that even in late game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

man nurse posted:

Just know that the story kind of takes a dump after the beginning but will probably pick up later. The missions are really repetitive but when the developers actually plan around them, they can be awesome (Like the hotel section). Honestly, I would say wait til it's cheaper. But if none of those things turn you off, then I say go for it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just finished the epilogue and that was great. The soundtrack is amazing and i dont know what the gently caress you are doing with this game but it runs well on my ancient r7260x. The patch corrected the clouds thing but still is too dark for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'd wait until it goes on sale, but it's pretty good. It has good music and some of the most brutal gun play I've seen in a game.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Man either I suck at these types of games now or this game is harder than usual. Playing on medium and if I got a retaliation squad out on me it's hellish to fight them off, and enemy accuracy is better than I've seen in a game in a long time (i.e sprinting in other games means you don't really get hit much but you will get put down in this game if not in cover.) I like it this way though, the game hasn't really gotten easier as I've played and I'm still sticking to cover / running out of ammo / melee fighting and all that even in late game.
Leading them to your conquered rackets is a fun way to get them off of your rear end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Generally my combat routine (Just started on Vito's second district revival missions) is whistle and stealth kill as many as possible. Then, sprint towards them via cover skipping and blindfire with my rifle/shotgun. If they're reloading, sprint up to get the auto melee kill.

The biggest pain are that everyone in this world have bionic arms and can throw molotovs from 90 feet with accuracy. Although it IS always hilarious that Lincoln blindthrows a molotov like it was laser pointed.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm actually going to be able to get this at a nice discount, so I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger. Looking forward to not playing it until tomorrow while I wait for it to download.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Go for it. The gunplay is good, the main gameplay loop is rinse and repeat gunplay (which if you like enough is a good thing), and there are lots more to the titty magazines this time around. You can actually read interviews they had with key figures of the time and it's actually loving awesome.

Since it's been mentioned, are the playboy magazines excerpts from real issues with regards to the ones that have interviews in them or are they about the fictionalised parts of the game world?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Since it's been mentioned, are the playboy magazines excerpts from real issues with regards to the ones that have interviews in them or are they about the fictionalised parts of the game world?

That part is actually really cool. They are real I believe.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Anime_Otaku posted:

They are real.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I went quite far into Burke's story and am still loving it. Starting to feel like Zaphod in the No Man's Sky thread though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

They are real.

They're real outside of the ads being changed to fictional companies in the Mafia world.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I went quite far into Burke's story and am still loving it. Starting to feel like Zaphod in the No Man's Sky thread though.

No one is knocking the story. It's the mission type. That and when people complain about the lack of variety, your answer was to play less. :suicide:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I think its more that people play the game for four-five hours in a row then come into the thread complaining that the game is repetitive (it is, to be fair), and instead of mentioning that they had fun playing the same mission types for four hours in a row, all they post about is how offended they are that the devs would think that a pc gamer in 2016 would accept the lack of mission diversity.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

HORMELCHILI posted:

I think its more that people play the game for four-five hours in a row then come into the thread complaining that the game is repetitive (it is, to be fair), and instead of mentioning that they had fun playing the same mission types for four hours in a row, all they post about is how offended they are that the devs would think that a pc gamer in 2016 would accept the lack of mission diversity.

However, funny how I never had this issue with GTA 5. Because it had mission variety, changing of characters, and tons of things to do within the game. If they wanted to turn Mafia into an open world game, they should know that the reason GTA and RDR games are popular is because its a fully fleshed out open world with millions of things to do for distractions, as well as mission variety in the main game. Meanwhile, as we continue (Me included) to trudge through the same mission type, it appears that for the paid for DLC those will be unique missions with different gameplay. Which irks the poo poo out of me. So far, one cool thing has happened as I am on the 2nd of the 3 story missions after the "Sit down" with the crew. Set an explosive charge, which blows up a crane, then using the crane as a bridge to get to the boss.

And THATS IT.

We had fun playing the game for the first 4 hours. When it became apparent the mission type is going to be this way for the remainder of the entire game, and we just want to finish this thing to see the story, it becomes one of the biggest slogs I think I have ever played. And that sucks. Because had they just thrown in some unique missions Ala Mafia 1 or 2, it could have totally been avoided. Things not to do in game design 101, poo poo that was learned in 1987, isn't applied here.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

HORMELCHILI posted:

Exactly. I've played a lot, but take a break after two hours like a normal human being is supposed to do.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Exactly. I've played a lot, but take a break after two hours like a normal human being is supposed to do.

Oh please continue to enthrall us with how we should play our games and when a game design sucks, we should just play it less like normal human beings. :allears:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Utnayan posted:

No one is knocking the story. It's the mission type. That and when people complain about the lack of variety, your answer was to play less. :suicide:

its weird. because i dont mind the mission types per say. the problem is that they are usually way too similar or the same. I like slowly picking apart the various operations operations and watching the money counter drop like a stone. the biggest issues is it kinda feels(and is) a very late(cycle wise) last gen game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I honestly don't really mind the lack of mission diversity. It's more that I'm in the early part of the game and there is just nothing to do but those missions... at least for the early part of the game. I'm still very early on. You can't even sleep in your bed seemingly after that first mission that allows you to do so. I know that seems like a minor thing, and I get the philosophy of not having too much extra stuff or trying to make it a life simulator like GTA. But I just want something to break the game up. And honestly, it doesn't need to be too much in terms of IMMERSION--but when you're making a game that is so story based, I think it's important to do stuff that allows your character to feel real and a part of the world.

There's so much good in Mafia 2 that really should have been carried over to this game in terms of feeling like you actually exist in the world.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 10, 2016

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Isn't selling an open world gangster sim without the ability to change your clothes or buy fast food a felony in California?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Timeless Appeal posted:

I honestly don't really mind the lack of mission diversity. It's more that I'm in the early part of the game and there is just nothing to do but those missions... at least for the early part of the game. I'm still very early on.

Well, I have news for you. The missions you are doing now, you will be doing for the rest of the game. It isn't just the early game.

I agree with you on the open world. I haven't even been to my home base once, because the only reason why I would go there is to stash cash, and I immediately had a perk to just call a car to grab my cash so if I die I do not lose half of my wallet.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

Utnayan posted:

Oh please continue to enthrall us with how we should play our games and when a game design sucks, we should just play it less like normal human beings. :allears:

Since this is the worst game you have ever played why don't you just get a refund? I can't imagine you played it too much with how much you hate it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
welp, fps went straigth to hell.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
GTA and RDR's side missions were crap (Horseshoes? Hunting? Triathalons? A terrible implementation of golf?) but Rockstar knows how to make an interesting world to muck around in. The world is OK in this but not on that level.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I honestly don't really mind the lack of mission diversity. It's more that I'm in the early part of the game and there is just nothing to do but those missions... at least for the early part of the game. I'm still very early on. You can't even sleep in your bed seemingly after that first mission that allows you to do so. I know that seems like a minor thing, and I get the philosophy of not having too much extra stuff or trying to make it a life simulator life GTA. But I just want something to break the game up. And honestly, it doesn't need to be too much in terms of IMMERSION--but when you're making a game that is so story based, I think it's important to do stuff that allows your character to feel real and a part of the world.

There's so much good in Mafia 2 that really should have been carried over to this game in terms of feeling like you actually exist in the world.

this. also to refine a point people are making, the Stealth AI is bad, the regular combat AI is pretty decent even good at some points. they take cover, cover each other, and flank all the time and take advantage of your reloads. i mean its not the best in the world, but its not awful, at least combat wise.

wyoak posted:

GTA and RDR's side missions were crap (Horseshoes? Hunting? Triathalons? A terrible implementation of golf?) but Rockstar knows how to make an interesting world to muck around in. The world is OK in this but not on that level.

i agree with this. GTA/RDR had better "events" happening and a much more explorable world, but the side missions were kinda crap. this isnt bad though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The one thing I hate about this game is every instance where it has a hint of something interesting in the world but it isn't implemented. There's all these auto shops scattered around but you can't do anything with them. I guess customizing cars comes later but it seems like it's something you select from that guy in the van. Lack of being able to change clothes sucks but then mafia 2 didn't really have any cool clothes either.

In doing some more looking around, maybe this game really was made by 2K Czech. Wikipedia says around 40 people from there were sent to Novato which is where Hangar 13 is based. If they could patch in some things from the old game, that would be really cool. Make the game at least on par with Mafia 2 and I'd recommend it to everyone.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I read that using DSR set at 1.5 is a good idea to fix the blurry graphics, what should the DSR - Smoothness slider be set at when you enable DSR? It defaults to 33%.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Destro posted:

I read that using DSR set at 1.5 is a good idea to fix the blurry graphics, what should the DSR - Smoothness slider be set at when you enable DSR? It defaults to 33%.
I left it at the default 33% myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Utnayan posted:

In your case it sounds like you should just stop playing? And hopefully posting.

• Locked thread