Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

toasterwarrior posted:

this manga is fantastic, and to me it feels like a tarantino flick in japanese comic form because of the historical setting, brutal violence, detailing of mundane crap, and quirky/badass/utterly insane characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i love the eyes of the characters

there are eyes that have been dulled by violence, little remains in their souls

sugimoto is not one of these men, he still lives as a human can and should

and then there is is edogai, so full of love and life that he imbues in in everything he touches and crafts

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNFglDcW7dQ

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Captain Invictus posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Golden-Kamui/Vol-008-Ch-071--A-True-Artisan?id=323546

this is jesus loving christ over and over: the chapter :stare:

especially those last pages, gently caress

:stonk:

Hokkaido is a hellscape of bears and serial killers.

Also I really, really want an anime of this, it's so good.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

God drat this mangaka can nail pretty much whatever genre he's going for. This was creepy as gently caress.

Also I love how calm and collected Tsurumi is. That guy is stone cold and I love that in a world full of insane, twisted serial killers he's still very much the top dog.

Hortism fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 6, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Puukko naamassa posted:

a Japanese Ed Gein

Edo Gein

Edogai?

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
The title page is so weird and distinct that I wonder if it's visual reference to something or if it's just Noda having fun. He does so many references that it's hard to tell sometimes!

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Viz has picked this series up.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:toot::toot::toot:

:toot::toot::toot:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
loving right they did, it's amazing it went that long without getting licensed

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/784415233997766657

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
Congrats on getting licensed! We're still going to work on it though, since otherwise you'll be stuck waiting years for the next chapter!

Speaking of which:

http://bato.to/reader#9eb0b75a7152e91d

I sincerely hope that somebody, somewhere sees that it got licensed and decides to begin their GK experience by reading this chapter.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I should be feeling disturbed, but I am too busy splitting my sides.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I... uh. Well, that sure was a chapter!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Fun and educational :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Whhooooooaaaa :stonk: I think I need to go take a walk for a while, don't mind me :stonk:

coathat
May 21, 2007

That was awesome. I hope viz puts it out in their larger book size.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Well then

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Holy gently caress I love Golden Kamui, holy poo poo

That chapter was actual-belly-laugh hilarious, oh my god

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So page 8 is totally a dickbutt right? That's gotta be a reference.

Jesus Christ this series just ramped up to 1000.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HouseofGlass posted:

Congrats on getting licensed! We're still going to work on it though, since otherwise you'll be stuck waiting years for the next chapter!

Speaking of which:

http://bato.to/reader#9eb0b75a7152e91d

I sincerely hope that somebody, somewhere sees that it got licensed and decides to begin their GK experience by reading this chapter.

this is the best series. I absolutely expected a knock-down drag-out fight between them from word go. But no, instead we get a horrific fashion show and dance routine. I loving love this stupid series

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this is so grotesque and i love it

lmao that tsurumi has acknowledged that he can't take on sugimoto and hijikata, so gently caress it, psych them out

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
:magical: was made for this.

Mikl posted:

Whhooooooaaaa :stonk: I think I need to go take a walk for a while, don't mind me :stonk:

Bad thread is gonna explode one day.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Japan, anime this RIGHT loving NOW!

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Incredible.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
This chapter was wonderfully disturbing and hilarious, at the same time. Magical.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just can't believe this manga exists. It's just pure, unadulterated quality. The pacing, art, storytelling, humor violence, characters, homages, everything seems perfect.Goddamn.

I haven't been impressed by a manga so much since Dorohedoro, and Dorohedoro does have many flaws while I really cannot find anything to nitpick about in Golden Kamui.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 9, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

trucutru posted:

... humor violence ...

Don't know if you just missed a comma or not but this works so well to describe this series.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

Don't know if you just missed a comma or not but this works so well to describe this series.

Brain fart (but I'll pretend it was my intention all along :smugdog:) but I once described this manga to a friend as a hyperviolent comedy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
surely edogai can sew up a new ear for the one-eared homie. great chapter. this is probably my favorite ongoing manga tbh. every chapter has new laughs and grotesqueries.
I read it as erdogai at first and wondered if maybe he could help them fight the coward gulen

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Phoneposting, but there's a new chapter out and it has a new conflict sprouting.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So I though Asirpa's dad was an Amur Valley Ainu? What is he? Russian? Tungusic? I'm confused now...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

surely edogai can sew up a new ear for the one-eared homie. great chapter. this is probably my favorite ongoing manga tbh. every chapter has new laughs and grotesqueries.
I read it as erdogai at first and wondered if maybe he could help them fight the coward gulen

It was posted before but its Edo Gei(n)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Caught up on this series. Really good, don't know why I slacked on picking it up so much!

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Negrostrike posted:

So I though Asirpa's dad was an Amur Valley Ainu? What is he? Russian? Tungusic? I'm confused now...

(Gonna drop the spoiler tags since I'm just speculating) I think he's from an Amur Valley ethnic group that is similar to the Ainu but not the same. Kiroranke mentions that they lived a lifestyle "not so different from the Ainu," but Asirpa's dad seemed to need to learn about the Ainu culture from his wife so I don't think they were actually Ainu. The manga leaves the details of what ethnic group he's from pretty vague aside from the fact that it was in the Amur River area. I assume that's because either A) it's some sort of revelation later or B) Noda just sort of made up a group for plot purposes that vaguely fits the time and place but doesn't directly correspond to any historical group.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

HouseofGlass posted:

(Gonna drop the spoiler tags since I'm just speculating) I think he's from an Amur Valley ethnic group that is similar to the Ainu but not the same. Kiroranke mentions that they lived a lifestyle "not so different from the Ainu," but Asirpa's dad seemed to need to learn about the Ainu culture from his wife so I don't think they were actually Ainu. The manga leaves the details of what ethnic group he's from pretty vague aside from the fact that it was in the Amur River area. I assume that's because either A) it's some sort of revelation later or B) Noda just sort of made up a group for plot purposes that vaguely fits the time and place but doesn't directly correspond to any historical group.

In this case it would make sense he's a Nivkh then. They have some similar customs like bear sacrifice, a little bit of intermarriage and they also live by the mouth of the Amur river and Sakhalin (I'm a bit of a sperg with Siberian and Manchurian ethnic groups in case y'all didn't notice).

Either this, or Orok/Uilta.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 22, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at having characters talk about killing their parents to foreshadow Asirpa coming to age by killing her father.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Golden-Kamui/Vol-008-Ch-074--Cikapasi?id=327044

Boner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
He certainly seems like a nice boner.