Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Do modern EFI bikes not have barometric pressure sensors? How do efi bikes without o2 sensors correct for altitude?
They do. Air temperature and barometric pressure, usually o2 also but a lot of people get rid of the o2 sensors, for the reason he stated or because they are running piggybacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You don't actually need a separate pressure sensor if you have a mass airflow sensor, which most EFI vehicles these days do. Thinner air at high altitude results in less airflow and the fueling is automatically adjusted accordingly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't think of any motorcycles outside of like the BMW bikes that have a MAF, most have a MAP sensor. I should have said MAP, not barometric pressure sensor. :)

Newer BMW M cars calculate without a MAP or MAF sensor, it's kinda cool.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 9, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

N is for Nipples posted:

Whadup, 250 trail bike bro. The Sherpa is just a green Serow.

With a lot more power and a lot less quality :getin:

I haven't wanted to ride a bike this badly in bloody ages, not sure why that is.

BlackMK4 posted:

They do. Air temperature and barometric pressure, usually o2 also but a lot of people get rid of the o2 sensors, for the reason he stated or because they are running piggybacks.

Thought so.

Never seen a MAF on a bike besides BMW.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I don't think I've ever seen a MAP sensor on a bike either, in any case afaik the 690 smc doesn't have one. My old Buell had the o2 sensor disabled and it was fine here at sea level, but riding passes in the Alps it'd start to sputter.

Edit: about piggyback ECUs, does it make sense to run one on a completely stock bike? I assume richening everything up might get you a little more power, and at least smoother behavior?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Early EFI BMW bikes had no throttle sensor, just a MAF.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

High Protein posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a MAP sensor on a bike either, in any case afaik the 690 smc doesn't have one. My old Buell had the o2 sensor disabled and it was fine here at sea level, but riding passes in the Alps it'd start to sputter.

Edit: about piggyback ECUs, does it make sense to run one on a completely stock bike? I assume richening everything up might get you a little more power, and at least smoother behavior?

My 675 had one, GSXR, R6, etc. Look for tubes coming from all of the throttle bodies and plugging in to a sensor.

It does make sense to run one since the bikes are leaned out to pass emissions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

My 02 hornet was the earliest EFI bike I've worked on and it definitely had a MAP and I'm 90% certain your 690 does too.

Piggyback ecu = power commander and it is 100% worthwhile 100% of the time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Early EFI BMW bikes had no throttle sensor, just a MAF.

Did they also have treacle-like throttle response?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Seems the 690 does indeed have a map sensor, cool. One reason I was hesitant to install a power commander was the altitude issue.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The Aprilia Shiver has two. They're German. And they're the least reliable component on the loving bike.

e: Seems they are actually MAP sensors, which is what I get for believing internet forums. They're still German and fail all the loving time though.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 9, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow, I wasn't aware my mod would incite a riot. I never actually considered altitude issues. My research found that this was a well documented recommended modification, and one required for actual performance mods down the line. No red flags jumped up in my research, and it was explained as bypassing a hyperactive and heavy handed emissions control.

I installed it, did the 15 minute idle calibration, and trusted that the bike would throw an FI code if I had botched it up. It hasn't, and runs flawlessly now. It's so nice to chug happily at near idle speed RPMs when cruising, or surely navigate traffic in 1st-3rd, at low RPMs.

Fantastic bike. Love the 690. Better than I ever imagined it could be.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I swapped out the 14T front sprocket for a 15T to make cruising at highway speeds a little easier.

Check out my sweet garage

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Did they also have treacle-like throttle response?
If a treacle is really slow, yeah

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Dog Case posted:

I swapped out the 14T front sprocket for a 15T to make cruising at highway speeds a little easier.

Does the GN still have power in 5th gear? At Wide Open Throttle in 5th I can slooowly crawl up to 60 mph, maybe even 65 mph, but by then I'm at 95% of redline. I'd imagine a front tooth up would make it difficult to accelerate... Please share how it goes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd recommend going down a tooth, not up. Sure, you want to make the engine less screamy at those speeds, but you simply do not have the power. With the wr250x, going up a tooth in front killed all ability on the highway, and burned more gas, because the problem was aerodynamic, not gearing/engine. Let us know, please. I'm curious.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

haphazardly changed my bullshit side markers (some ebay garbage) with much brighter ones and simultaneously converting my parking lights into turn signals, while maintaining it all be easily reversible via connectors

With absolutely no planning at all so it got a little dicey. But it worked out in the end!

The signal lights were m-blaze pins which are indeed as bright as they say they are. The parking lights were $10 amazon leds that actually are surprisingly bright. Also a plug in play flasher relay which thankfully works great. The only downside to the m-blaze lights were the angel hair thin wire they used. It's like 26 gauge or some poo poo and was very difficult to strip

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Finally getting around to trying to fix this issue. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcCN9eqARhE

Quite frankly, there is a dealership near me with a couple of used Tuono V4Rs and I'll probably stop by this week to take a peek.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 12, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
any chance something simple like a wire choke on the speedo pickup wire would fix that or do you think the crosstalk is occurring in the instrument cluster itself

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think it's in the cluster since the odometer is correct. I replaced the speedo sensor like 3 months ago.

Wish I could just trade it in at the local dealer with a V4R for $8.5k

Guess we will find out though, just bought a cluster for $300 on eBay.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 12, 2016

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

JHVH-1 posted:

I was thinking of getting those for my v7 with the bar ends off guzzi tech. Do you have them mounted above or below the bars? Maybe you can post a pic?

Took some crappy pictures. It's been miserable with the rain here recently. I went for a ride yesterday and meant to take a few pictures in the wild, but I ended up not getting off my bike until after dark.

So here are some poorly lit garage shots I took this weekend.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Haven't strictly done it to my bike yet, but I finally got around to building that knockoff fuseblock/relay thing:

The back is kind of a mess in places because I got paranoid about the current rating and decided to solder some 30A wire on top of the main live and ground traces.

Especially the ground isn't great because there's so much metal on it my soldering iron was losing heat and making shoddy joints (then I had to stop trying to fix it because I ran out of solder :saddowns:). Pictures on request if Sagebrush feels like shaming me on my soldering technique.

Gonna get a box for it from shapeways and find a place to stick it on the bike ~at some point~ but probably before christmas. Then I can start on getting those usb power points wired up without feeling like I'm half arsing it by not having a fuse. Yay progress :yayclod:

e/ it was fun getting reacquainted with the vagaries of home pcb etching and populating, but if I had to do another one of these I think I'd just get components with blade or crimp connectors, string them together with short lengths of wire, and screw everything down inside a plastic box.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 12, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

where can I learn all those things ^

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZBu4mtALFo

Naked chicks and howto videos

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
R6 is back together.

SNAFU Cost:
Subframe - Facebook - $140
Fairing Stay - eBay - $20
Rivets for Exhaust - Amazon - $11
3M Fiberglass Kit - Amazon - $18
Vortex Pink Grips - Amazon - $14

$203 to fix the bike

and... Arai Vector 2 - eBay - $350

$550 crash.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

where can I learn all those things ^

Go on hackaday and copy projects you like the look of.

The trick to learning is buying three of everything: one to blow up because you ran too much current through it/plugged it in wrong/hosed up the solder job/deliberately destroyed it to learn the limits of the component or practice your technique, one to actually use, and one to have spare in case you accidentally explode the second one as well.

e/ I mean I learned it by paying £30k to go to nerd hacker school (and spending way too much time in first year clicking every link on the internet), but god knows what it'd cost these days, so, yeah

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 13, 2016

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Handguards!

TUSK D-Flex. They still need some adjustment, and I haven't seen how they hold up yet, but they sure are beefy. You could probably run a truck over the aluminum backbone without issue.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am tusk D-flex super fan #1 they are incredibly beefy, probably more so than the average set of handlebars on a bike

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

As if to test them, I accidentally dropped my bike in the yard right on the guard. Nothing bent, tweaked, or damaged whatsoever. Pretty decent so far!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oil change on the SV650. I love how easy it is to get to, but good god the oil filter sure sticks out into the wind like a stubby dick. I fear for its safety. I wonder about skidplates for the first-gen SV's... I also had to use a FRAM filter, but apparently bobistheoilguy users have cut a couple of them open and they're not terrible. Sure wish Suzuki wasn't using an MC proprietary thread pitch so I could use the Purolator Synthetics that I like so much for the rest of my fleet.

Also got the rear brake lever light switch adjusted. The bike has aftermarket footpeg mounts, and the rear brake light switch was initially thought to be MIA because of mounting issues. I found it hidden behind the frame the other day, but put off adjusting it until today so I didn't have to put the bike up on stands more than once.

Having stands is the best drat thing. I'm so glad I crashed my budget for a few months to pick up this bike and all the crap that came with it. V-twins are the bomb diggity for street riding.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

Sure wish Suzuki wasn't using an MC proprietary thread pitch so I could use the Purolator Synthetics that I like so much for the rest of my fleet.

http://balestech.com/filter.htm

$20 or less and about 2 minutes to install and you can use all the common filters that other bike brands use. I got that and now I can use $6 purolator Pure-One filters instead of $15 Suzuki or K&N (Fram rebrands).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are a bunch of automotive filters that fit on the SV, works for me. I am not a huge opinionhaver as far as oil filters though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

http://balestech.com/filter.htm

$20 or less and about 2 minutes to install and you can use all the common filters that other bike brands use. I got that and now I can use $6 purolator Pure-One filters instead of $15 Suzuki or K&N (Fram rebrands).

Sonofagun, that's a nifty little thing. I think I'll buy one. Love my PSL 14612's.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Was a tough one but shaping up to be my most worthwhile mod yet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

penus penus penus posted:

Was a tough one but shaping up to be my most worthwhile mod yet

Post action video TIA.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why not put it on the left so you can operate it without taking your hand off the throttle?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Slavvy posted:

Post action video TIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kZ74b0ebD8

Collateral Damage posted:

Why not put it on the left so you can operate it without taking your hand off the throttle?

I bought a motorcycle for excitement not convenience

(I realized it the moment I sat on the bike lol)

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 18, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I just use k&n oil filters (the cheap, disposable ones - yes, they make reusable ones) from cyclegear for my gen 1. Works fine. Any CG employee can help you pick one that fits your bike and they should have it in stock.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Verge posted:

I just use k&n oil filters (the cheap, disposable ones - yes, they make reusable ones) from cyclegear for my gen 1. Works fine. Any CG employee can help you pick one that fits your bike and they should have it in stock.

The filters K&N sell for Suzukis are cheap Chinese made paper filters, they're no better than Fram despite the 'K&N' name you're paying for. (Also smh for K&N and their snake-oily marketing).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
K&N are nice for having an actual hex head on them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

K&N are nice for having an actual hex head on them though.

I have all the end cap adapters and a plethora of oil filter wrenches, the hex is nothing you can't get with the end caps. I guess it's good for folks without hundreds in tools.