Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:gowron: Welcome to rule of acquisition page 166. Experience Bij! :gowron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Data Graham posted:

It's Wallace Shawn, you can take your pick of things to laugh about

"My Dinner with Moogie"
"Not pursuing profit? Inconceivable!"

I don't remember any of the specifics of the Ferengi episodes, but I do remember Wallace Shawn as the Nagus, and that's some truly delectable casting right there. I can't imagine anyone else as the Nagus.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Just finished TNG bluray run. All Good Things get better each time I watch it.

Near the end was Masks. I still like it, and I know it gets hate in this thread, so what do people not like about it? Was Spiner melodramatic? Did you feel it was a re-tread of Inner Light? What did you not like?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I also like it, but it's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. The scenery chewing is pretty ridiculous and vaguely Mesoamaerican mythology kinda feels like someone read too much Joseph Campbell. It's pretty fun for a ~space magic~ episode though and it does have an interesting point to make about cultural relativism (they can only figure out what's going on by getting into the mindset of that culture). I enjoy it, but I understand why others might not.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's kind of ridiculous and convoluted, and the low sfx budget make it all come across as kind of like a community theater execution of the idea. I can see how it's not much appreciated, but it's not really bad by any real measure.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ok so i can maybe buy that a transporter accident can turn people into children, kind of

but how do their clothes still fit them???

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^ Not to mention poo poo like Picard's artificial heart and Guinan's stupid hat.

I never get tired of seeing Data switch between the old man and the other dude, Ihat. It's a dumb episode but definitely one of my favorites.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Masks is a good episode, it's just stuck in the middle of a subpar season so it gets lumped in with the rest of the season 7 malaise. I can see why people wouldn't like it, but I get a kick out of seeing Stewart and Spiner act more theatrical than usual. I dig the premise too, an alien virus rewriting the Enterprise's computer is cool. So cool, in fact, that they used it twice.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fister Roboto posted:

ok so i can maybe buy that a transporter accident can turn people into children, kind of

Obviously the clothes were deaged into kid's clothes.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Fister Roboto posted:

Unstable molecules!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The transporter was all "welp I guess they're kids now? I'll just shrink these clothes down a bit, no problem here beep boop. Nope nothing unusual about this".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The transporter was all "welp I guess they're kids now? I'll just shrink these clothes down a bit, no problem here beep boop. Nope nothing unusual about this".

Transporter later showed off it's designer chops making a perfectly combined ensemble for Tuvix.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

OK I'm on board with this now.

So when the heck does O'Brien leave for DS9? I thought it started with TNG season 6.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fister Roboto posted:

It's a really, really goofy episode all around. Even leaving the space fight aside (it's funny how everything but the dialogue says "huh, this is kind of a problem, i guess. maybe?" but the dialogue is all "massive damage to systems, heavy casualties on the lower decks" like dozens of people dying of plasma burns or whatever), how the gently caress do all of six Ferengi manage to overpower the hundreds of Starfleet personnel in taking the ship?

It's trapped between the obvious desire to do a comedy episode and the incredibly stuffy writing style of (especially late-)TNG. TOS would at least have had the decency to A) make the invaders powerful androids that naturally had no problem taking the ship, and B) just handwave the transporter problem in a single phrase, rather than delving into reams of technobabble that actually does a worse job of justifying the story premise.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nitrousoxide posted:

The doesn't that turbolift go directly to the battle bridge?

No, the battle bridge "emergency turbo" is the one closest to Wesley's seat.

MikeJF posted:

Which to be honest doesn't make a lot of sense given that the computer should be able to prioritise; just have the direct shaft as part of the main system.

Ah, whatever, they didn't put much thought into it.

I dunno, to be fair, I could see them justifying that as "well the battle bridge turbo gets there in like a second and it can do that because it never has to worry about clearing the shafts of normal traffic, so it won't actually take long at all to transfer to the battle bridge in the event of a battle".

I think really it's more of a relic from when they were thinking they'd be separating the ship multiple times per season.

Really the bigger problem was when the turbolifts stopped working in Disaster and that somehow meant that nobody could get off the main bridge, although that episode was also incredibly contrived.

Timby posted:

Much like whether or not you need to tap the communicator pin in order to use it. I swear it's different every other episode.

Also inconsistent was whether the computer needed you to wear your combadge in order to track you. What's worse is they got decoyed by "someone left their combadge behind!" multiple times.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Even if there's not the budget for crazy aliens, that could have been a fun thing to have offscreen mentions of in one of the series. "Oh, Ensign Zyxyzz spun his web in the Jeffries tube again!"

There's some throwaway lines in TNG about the cetacean tanks on the Enterprise.

Duckbag posted:

Really, Data is one of the worst realized characters on the entire show. He's well acted, but nothing about who he is actually makes sense. Why does he want to be human? Seven years and they never really explained the basic impulse. I mean, if he doesn't have emotion, why is he invested in it? I'm pretty loving sure "wanting to belong" is an emotion. Also, Data comes across like an autist because half the time he's written like he does have emotions but simply can't express them. With Spock, the breaks in his logical facade worked because, of course, he does have emotions, they're just controlled, but with Data, it just comes across as inconsistency.

From what I understand, "has emotions but doesn't really understand them" was the original slant on his character and then they retconned in "doesn't have emotions" later. If you look at the earlier episodes, he has some subtle but obvious emotions on his face in assorted scenes, but then it shifts to total flat-affect robot face at some point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I don't remember any of the specifics of the Ferengi episodes, but I do remember Wallace Shawn as the Nagus, and that's some truly delectable casting right there. I can't imagine anyone else as the Nagus.

What about.... ROM????

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also inconsistent was whether the computer needed you to wear your combadge in order to track you. What's worse is they got decoyed by "someone left their combadge behind!" multiple times.

This has always bugged me as well, especially when you realize that they scan for "life signs" all the time, but apparently don't bother when they're actively searching for someone who has a com badge? I think it hints at an even bigger inconsistency. How do Star Fleet sensors work, and what can you do with them? I know the real answer is "whatever works for the plot," but I want to know how they detect these life signs and energy fields and the like. Sometimes they can scan life signs through shields, sometimes they can't. Some physical barriers block it, some don't. Sometimes they can tell exactly how many people of what species are on a ship, sometimes they have no clue. Most importantly, is it always an active process like RADAR, or can they do it passively? At least some of the time, it must be active because people know they're being scanned or can jam scans, but sometimes it seems to be passive and they get the same information without seeming to "scan" anything.

This gets especially dicey with cloaking devices, because sometimes they can't scan while in cloak (because it would give them away) and sometimes they seem to do it anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fister Roboto posted:

So when the heck does O'Brien leave for DS9? I thought it started with TNG season 6.

I just watched Bar Association last night, which has O'Brien stating he was so bored as Transporter Chief on the Enterprise, stuck in one room all day. Yeah, I read the comics. :allears:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Having trouble sleeping, so i'm watching Starship Mine on BBC America.

Commander Hutchinson and Data trying to out-smalltalk one another will never not be funny. Especially when Data starts mimicking wild gesticulations while watching Hutch and Riker do the same. I'd imagine that took a few takes when they were filming it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duckbag posted:

This has always bugged me as well, especially when you realize that they scan for "life signs" all the time, but apparently don't bother when they're actively searching for someone who has a com badge? I think it hints at an even bigger inconsistency. How do Star Fleet sensors work, and what can you do with them? I know the real answer is "whatever works for the plot," but I want to know how they detect these life signs and energy fields and the like. Sometimes they can scan life signs through shields, sometimes they can't. Some physical barriers block it, some don't. Sometimes they can tell exactly how many people of what species are on a ship, sometimes they have no clue. Most importantly, is it always an active process like RADAR, or can they do it passively? At least some of the time, it must be active because people know they're being scanned or can jam scans, but sometimes it seems to be passive and they get the same information without seeming to "scan" anything.

This gets especially dicey with cloaking devices, because sometimes they can't scan while in cloak (because it would give them away) and sometimes they seem to do it anyway.

There are definitely passive and active scans. When they find an alien probe in I can't think of the name but the one where Barclay is the computer, they try passive scanning first in a bunch of ways so they don't trigger it, then switch to active scanning when they get no results.

Then they apparently shoot positrons at it. I suppose causing a matter/antimatter reaction will give you some data points to study, but I don't think the shuttle would survive. This last watchthrough I find myself most irritated by their treatment of antimatter. Wesley gets it right that there can only be one intermix ratio, but then Dr Brahms talks about Geordi loving with the ratio and making it too "rich". Also, positrons everywhere.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The Nth Degree. Pretty good episode actually, imo.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Phimosissy posted:

This last watchthrough I find myself most irritated by their treatment of antimatter. Wesley gets it right that there can only be one intermix ratio, but then Dr Brahms talks about Geordi loving with the ratio and making it too "rich". Also, positrons everywhere.

Maybe they annihilate in a medium and that's the mix ratio in question, who knows.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

mossyfisk posted:

Maybe they annihilate in a medium and that's the mix ratio in question, who knows.

No, it's just a question of the writers not bothering to keep things consistent.

Also, Wesley is right from a real-world particle physics standpoint. Matter and antimatter do only react in a 1:1 ratio.

OTOH, the one-handed neutrino business from DS9 "Rivals" is completely wrong; ALL neutrinos spin in only one direction.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Positrons won't necessarily cause something to explode at a macro scale or else PET scans would be a lot less popular.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Nth degree and Data's Day are probably 2 of the episodes of TNG I have watched the most. Good poo poo!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Metal and poo poo shooting light at Barclay's head:

Faster than ship's supercomputers

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

Metal and poo poo shooting light at Barclay's head:

Faster than ship's supercomputers

Barclay explaining step by step how to build a neural interface in the 30 seconds before the enterprise gets blown up

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Barclay explaining step by step how to build a neural interface in the 30 seconds before the enterprise gets blown up

He just told the computer to make an interface capable of defeating plot holes.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Can you imagine if TNG pulled a Course Oblivion, and instead of having Barclay be "fixed" by the Cytherians they let him die when Worf disconnected him?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pakled posted:

Profit and Lace is skippable, the others aren't. :colbert:

You're not getting more Deep Space Nine and Profit and Lace is beautiful.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 10, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yo I thought the characters clothes didn't shrink in Rascals. Man now I gotta watch the opening again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Hey, he understood everything in the universe in one equation and it was simple!

He just macgyvered that thing because he knew all the components the holodeck has in stock, which, as we know from schisms, is quite an eclectic lot.

Connect Andorian disco ball to a quantum tunneling hyperspanner type theta and connect a ferengi dildonic sphere at the left aperture. etc

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Xibanya posted:

Yo I thought the characters clothes didn't shrink in Rascals. Man now I gotta watch the opening again.

IIRC their clothes are all baggy and long right after they transport but they look normal after that. Like the computer just happened to have child-sized versions of their outfits on file for some reason. Even Guinan's dumb hat.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC their clothes are all baggy and long right after they transport but they look normal after that. Like the computer just happened to have child-sized versions of their outfits on file for some reason. Even Guinan's dumb hat.

I'm sure they can just tell the replicator to make smaller versions. It wouldn't be too hard to make replicator files variable with measurements.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would it not, surely it's easier for it to (eg) tailor clothes rather than needing a unique pattern every time

Phimosissy posted:

Then they apparently shoot positrons at it. I suppose causing a matter/antimatter reaction will give you some data points to study, but I don't think the shuttle would survive.

You get about 2*10-30 J off each electron/positron annihilation. I think the shuttle can handle it, after all you can right now.

Apollodorus posted:

OTOH, the one-handed neutrino business from DS9 "Rivals" is completely wrong; ALL neutrinos spin in only one direction.

Only true if neutrinos are massless, which they aren't (proved by neutrino oscillations).

However the mass is really loving tiny so, eg, the chirality of solar neutrinos will be left handed 99.99999999% of the time or thereabouts.

Gonz posted:

Having trouble sleeping, so i'm watching Starship Mine on BBC America.

Commander Hutchinson and Data trying to out-smalltalk one another will never not be funny. Especially when Data starts mimicking wild gesticulations while watching Hutch and Riker do the same. I'd imagine that took a few takes when they were filming it.

I always thought that was very mean spirited

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mossyfisk posted:

This is actually what the dilithium is supposed to do, I guess it forms a sort of ideal reaction environment so you get extra bonus exploding plasma out of the thing. Sometime between TOS and TNG they figured out how to reliably regenerate or synthesize dilithium which is why Geordi never really pisses himself over the dilithium crystals.

Alternately the Connie engines were just really hard on the drat things, possibly because Scotty was constantly overclocking everything.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

This is actually what the dilithium is supposed to do, I guess it forms a sort of ideal reaction environment so you get extra bonus exploding plasma out of the thing. Sometime between TOS and TNG they figured out how to reliably regenerate or synthesize dilithium which is why Geordi never really pisses himself over the dilithium crystals.

Alternately the Connie engines were just really hard on the drat things, possibly because Scotty was constantly overclocking everything.

nah, the TNG writers bible specifically says they know how to recrystallize dilithium - there was obviously a push to not do any of the "dilithium crystals are busted" stories that TOS did.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why would it not, surely it's easier for it to (eg) tailor clothes rather than needing a unique pattern every time
For in-universe explanations, it's fine. But in TV terms, it's goofy as all get out. Especially Ro and Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, Geordi tells Scott they can just recrystalize the dilithium when he freaks out about it.