Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
A Marvel Netflix show about someone talented in close up melee fighting? No fuckin way!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tenzarin posted:

Linkin Park likes Gundam. Power Rangers is just a rip off from some Japanese show and starship troopers.

Gundams don't have a gestalt form do they? That's the whole thing that makes the megazord so cool. Transformers gets it. Voltron gets it. Super Sentai invented it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hat Thoughts posted:

A Marvel Netflix show about someone talented in close up melee fighting? No fuckin way!!

Even Professor X is a skilled martial artist. Melee fighting comes with the territory in superhero stories.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wasn't feeling the Luke Cage Netflix series. Not as much as Daredevil. Jessica Jones also was a bit of a chore to finish. If I skip Luke Cage and Iron Fist (because I think Iron Fist looks meh), I wonder how lost I will be during The Defenders.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

greatn posted:

Gundams don't have a gestalt form do they? That's the whole thing that makes the megazord so cool. Transformers gets it. Voltron gets it. Super Sentai invented it.

Some gundams are also planes.

Though the true power in super sentai is not transformation, but combination

GATTAI

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gestalt means combination

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The first picture I looked up for "gestalt form" left me in a state of confusion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

The first picture I looked up for "gestalt form" left me in a state of confusion.

I mean, this looks pretty self explanatory to me?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Good old Krymmer

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Gundams don't have Gestalt forms because (the good ones) are about the horrors of war and how poo poo politics are so shounen-style metaphors for unification and teamwork don't really gel with that kind of setting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lady Naga posted:

Gundams don't have Gestalt forms because (the good ones) are about the horrors of war and how poo poo politics are so shounen-style metaphors for unification and teamwork don't really gel with that kind of setting.

There is exactly one combiner Gundam, and it's from the show that isn't about the horrors of war but instead about how Gundam toys are cool and you should buy these cool toys, kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twJTHpZnTSI

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Schwarzwald posted:

There is exactly one combiner Gundam, and it's from the show that isn't about the horrors of war but instead about how Gundam toys are cool and you should buy these cool toys, kids.

Yeah pretty much. Gundam Is Good (when it's Good).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

teagone posted:

I wasn't feeling the Luke Cage Netflix series. Not as much as Daredevil. Jessica Jones also was a bit of a chore to finish. If I skip Luke Cage and Iron Fist (because I think Iron Fist looks meh), I wonder how lost I will be during The Defenders.

I liked Daredevil S1 and really loved Jessica Jones. I got bored and stopped watching Daredevil S2 about halfway through. Two episodes in and am liking Luke Cage, even though I wish they would go even further into embracing 70s Blaxploitation than they already are in it. So far Mahershala Ali is absolutely the best part of it - I remember first seeing him in The 4400 and being really surprised when he was in Benjamin Button, I'm glad he's getting big(ger at least) roles now.

Iron Fist doesn't interest me at all, honestly neither does the Defenders, though I'm getting to be more interested in the standalone Punisher.

One thing I thought was interesting that was Luke Cage seems to have dropped the previous Marvel Netflix things of not referring to the Marvel movies by name. Daredevil and JJ had people talking about "the guy with the magic hammer" or "the big green guy" but the first episode alone has Tony Stark and others referenced by name, Justin Hammer of all people as the gun supplier, and the councilwoman talking about Fisk.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chairman Capone posted:

I liked Daredevil S1 and really loved Jessica Jones.
Iron Fist doesn't interest me at all, honestly neither does the Defenders, though I'm getting to be more interested in the standalone Punisher.

One thing I thought was interesting that was Luke Cage seems to have dropped the previous Marvel Netflix things of not referring to the Marvel movies by name. Daredevil and JJ had people talking about "the guy with the magic hammer" or "the big green guy" but the first episode alone has Tony Stark and others referenced by name, Justin Hammer of all people as the gun supplier, and the councilwoman talking about Fisk.
You REALLY need to find yourself some sort of supercut/fan-edit of the Punisher stuff in Season 2. The Punisher side of the season was exceptionally strong.

I'm sure with the success of the netflix stuff Marvel is feeling more comfortable with allowing their main characters to be named. I'm sure, too, that much like how with Supergirl not using Superman's character until this current season, they wanted to keep focus on the individual characters rather than try and have them compete with already established people - even by name drop.

Netflix writers probably went to Marvel and said, "Hey, we're pretty successful over here, but we think being able to better tie into your specialty of character connectivity with the comic universe would help develop us a stronger and more stable audience. (ps please let us borrow She-Hulk)"

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Luke Cage has the most brutal drop-off in quality between front half and back half of the season that these shows have had yet, which is saying something. It doesn't help that its politics are fairly incoherent (there is in episode 10 a Black Lives Matter-style rally AGAINST Luke Cage) but at this point I think the problem is that each show is just 3-4 hours too long.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crion posted:

It doesn't help that its politics are fairly incoherent (there is in episode 10 a Black Lives Matter-style rally AGAINST Luke Cage) but at this point I think the problem is that each show is just 3-4 hours too long.

I know it's been said before, but I was absolutely flabbergasted by the writers' attempt to somehow have these black activists and concerned parents WELCOME the process to start militarizing police officers in the wake of a cop beating the poo poo out of a high school kid witness.

"It's not MY FAULT my fellow policemen shot and killed those black people; it's the CRIMINALS' fault by their very existence. If you guys give us MORE GUNS and STRONGER WEAPONRY then we'll deffo catch those evil criminals that allegedly indirectly caused us to hurt those innocent people."

ALso, I think they put in the Diamondback stuff in order to personalize poo poo for Luke Cage, but...it had already become personal for him - through Harlem itself. I can only imagine how tight and good the show would have been had they kept the villains to simply Mariah at the end - and left Diamondback in the shadows, voiced through Shades...and then also changed the stilted dialog and stupidly offensive complaint I elucidated above.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 10, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Maybe they were going for an Alan Moore, kinda 'awkward alternate history' thing where the existence of superheroes forces a coagulation of populist conservatism and Leftist counterculture.

I wouldn't know, though, I couldn't really sit through the first episode. Seemed pretty lame.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It wants so hard to be the Wire but doesn't understand what made the Wire good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Drifter posted:

I know it's been said before, but I was absolutely flabbergasted by the writers' attempt to somehow have these black activists and concerned parents WELCOME the process to start militarizing police officers in the wake of a cop beating the poo poo out of a high school kid witness.

"It's not MY FAULT my fellow policemen shot and killed those black people; it's the CRIMINALS' fault by their very existence. If you guys give us MORE GUNS and STRONGER WEAPONRY then we'll deffo catch those evil criminals that allegedly indirectly caused us to hurt those innocent people."

ALso, I think they put in the Diamondback stuff in order to personalize poo poo for Luke Cage, but...it had already become personal for him - through Harlem itself. I can only imagine how tight and good the show would have been had they kept the villains to simply Mariah at the end - and left Diamondback in the shadows, voiced through Shades...and then also changed the stilted dialog and stupidly offensive complaint I elucidated above.
While I really liked Luke Cage regardless and Diamondback because I love ridiculous over the top batshit insane villains;

They should have saved him for Season 2 in a world where these Netflix shows are 8 episodes long. Hopefully when Defenders does really well they'll do this

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It wants so hard to be the Wire but doesn't understand what made the Wire good.

I don't think it's a lack of understanding that's the problem. I think that first, it's not a story that can be told effectively (or as effectively) through superheroics, and secondly that time has been unkind to the story and the message of The Wire itself, especially its absolute veneration of the beat cop.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I thought that Diamondback was rushed as well. Hell the season could have ended when he first shot Luke and told him he was his brother. Leave it as a cliff hanger

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I thought that Diamondback was rushed as well. Hell the season could have ended when he first shot Luke and told him he was his brother. Leave it as a cliff hanger

Dat costume though :allears:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Diamondback is such a better villain than Cottonmouth it's not even funny. Cottonmouth was soft as gently caress, Diamondback is sadistic and unhinged and clearly doesn't give a gently caress.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
EDIT: this is THE GUY who runs Birth.Movies.Death and starts all those ridiculous rumors about Marvel and DC execs and comic book movies

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/785187367980118016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 11, 2016

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Is this from the upcoming Punisher series?

oh, he's an internet guy

FabioClone fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 10, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He decides whether a superhero movie is good or bad

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Crion posted:

especially its absolute veneration of the beat cop.

I don't want to derail the thread anymore about the Wire but it does not do this at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I don't want to derail the thread anymore about the Wire but it does not do this at all.

Well, even if it did - the specific veneration is of community outreach, i.e. knowing and respecting the community you work in. Otherwise, the show wastes no time in making GBS threads on dummies that just want to knock heads, us vs. them types, bureaucrats that see communities as statistics, etc. In fact the most damning flaw of The Wire is the reason it holds up so well, and it's that its critique is very explicit, specific and pointed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My favorite part of Luke Cage was the constant use of Ghostface Killah tracks from Twelve Reasons to Die.

It was my favorite Netflix series until the final 3-4 episodes. I wish the politics of it hadn't gotten so muddied, that was weird.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MacheteZombie posted:

It was my favorite Netflix series until the final 3-4 episodes.

This is such a strange recurring thing for them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They need an evil Network exec.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

This is such a strange recurring thing for them.

It is pretty easy to understand: the first 2/3 are all character driven (even the action scenes) and later episodes try to ramp up the tension with more plot twists and over-the-top scenes and the character drama suffers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Interesting that they're able to set their own runtime for episodes. but they are locked into the same amount of episodes. It sounds like they'd all be better off being more like 8 episodes.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Schwarzwald posted:

That's all the Gundam shows :smuggo:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

well why not posted:

Interesting that they're able to set their own runtime for episodes. but they are locked into the same amount of episodes. It sounds like they'd all be better off being more like 8 episodes.

Always going to agree with this. Stranger Things was 8 episodes and it felt perfect

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Always going to agree with this. Stranger Things was 8 episodes and it felt perfect

I remember thinking around episode 3 or 4 of Stranger Things that the story was progressing quickly, in a good way. I was expecting the mystery to be dragged out for much longer and for characters to not believe each other and ally as fast as they did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well pfft you're not going to beat Demogorgon solo, dude.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUo4GQsnkHc
Some new footage of Dr. Strange in this little featurette

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

It's strange how this movie is like 3 weeks away and it feels like I'm just now hearing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope this movie turns out decent, the effects look pretty fun even beyond the Inception inspiration everyone's pointed out.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 10, 2016

• Locked thread