Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Stolen from CSpam:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/785349205917245440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

trash person posted:

The whole Bill thing was an absolute non-starter. That's why I don't get why he did his press conference with them before the debate. Do it on Tuesday or Wednesday. Not literally right before something that will inevitably be a far bigger hold on the news cycle.

He's a bully, he thought it would psych her out. Remember, this is the man who thought it was a good idea to accuse Ted Cruz's dad of assassinating JFK.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FlamingLiberal posted:

As someone with Canadian family this talking point always annoys me. I've been hearing this comment for something like 20 years of 'oh Canadians hate their healthcare, they have to wait 6 months for emergency surgery blah blah'. This is also used against European single-payer.

What they conveniently forget to add is that nobody is ever denied emergency care in Canada. However, if you want to get a procedure done that is elective, you may have to wait. It's frustrating because I can't think of any Canadians who would for even a second entertain dealing with our system. I'd sure as hell deal with a government system where they will take care of your procedure, even if I have to wait slightly, as opposed to paying all sorts of out of pocket costs because my insurer refuses to cover something.

Meanwhile, over here in the US I was denied access to a medication that ended up taking me from 'barely able to move because my arthritis is crippling' to 'Everything's basically fine I just have slightly sensitive wrists' for months because my insurer insisted my chart said I had RHEUMATOID and not PSORIATIC arthritis despite my doctor calling them regularly to be like 'No man, give him the loving humira'. So that was a 4 month period of suffering because they refused to believe they'd made a clerical error. That was fun.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So is there seriously a poo poo poster here who does to puppies what Trump does to pussy?

Not a perfect performance by any means for Clinton, but Trump loses by being a wannabe dictator. Jesus his answer to the Islamophobia question was like the absolute worst possible way to answer that.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

FlamingLiberal posted:

As someone with Canadian family this talking point always annoys me. I've been hearing this comment for something like 20 years of 'oh Canadians hate their healthcare, they have to wait 6 months for emergency surgery blah blah'. This is also used against European single-payer.

What they conveniently forget to add is that nobody is ever denied emergency care in Canada. However, if you want to get a procedure done that is elective, you may have to wait. It's frustrating because I can't think of any Canadians who would for even a second entertain dealing with our system. I'd sure as hell deal with a government system where they will take care of your procedure, even if I have to wait slightly, as opposed to paying all sorts of out of pocket costs because my insurer refuses to cover something.
All you have to do to neutralize that is point out the life expectancies. The results speak for themselves.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Woah

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Uh, what?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Meanwhile, over here in the US I was denied access to a medication that ended up taking me from 'barely able to move because my arthritis is crippling' to 'Everything's basically fine I just have slightly sensitive wrists' for months because my insurer insisted my chart said I had RHEUMATOID and not PSORIATIC arthritis despite my doctor calling them regularly to be like 'No man, give him the loving humira'. So that was a 4 month period of suffering because they refused to believe they'd made a clerical error. That was fun.

But Humira is expensive, you really have to consider the feelings of the insurance company.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I assume that he means that now is the time that the two campaigns desperately begin the race to spin their candidate's debate performance into a triumphant win, but I'm gonna close my eyes, go to sleep, and dream of Mike Pence calling Donald Trump deplorable as he officially resigns as his VP candidate.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

God damnit Costa I want sleep. Now you've got me hoping that the Pence thing is real.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

eviltastic posted:

God damnit Costa I want sleep. Now you've got me hoping that the Pence thing is real.

Not going to happen.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

someone actually died in my local er a few weeks ago after a 28 hour wait without seeing a doctor and the coroner called our hospital the worse in the western world. i personally had to wait 6 hours in the er with a broken jaw as a kid. yea the healthcare i "free" or whatever but its incredibly bad and costs 50% of our whole budget. All the rich people are definitely going to the USA for treatment.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

speng31b posted:

Not going to happen.

I want to believe.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah clinton ought to have countered on this one. its a prevalent and longstanding meme, though. my grandma and mother believe it; there's not enough of a ground level left wing information machine to counter this sort of whisper campaign poo poo though, so people just assume the thing that "everyone knows" is true.

It was already based on the false premise that Hillary is pushing for single payer (which I wish she would but is also unpopular) so countering it would be answering if she's still beating her wife.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

gently caress, no, I have to sleep. Let me off this crazy train for a moment. :smith:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
reminder:

and trump still complained he didn't have enough time to talk.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Honestly Costa probably just heard of a RNC meeting to prioritize down ballot and leave Trump for dead.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

someone actually died in my local er a few weeks ago after a 28 hour wait without seeing a doctor and the coroner called our hospital the worse in the western world. i personally had to wait 6 hours in the er with a broken jaw as a kid. yea the healthcare i "free" or whatever but its incredibly bad and costs 50% of our whole budget. All the rich people are definitely going to the USA for treatment.
And yet Canadians live longer than Americans. Weird.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah clinton ought to have countered on this one. its a prevalent and longstanding meme, though. my grandma and mother believe it; there's not enough of a ground level left wing information machine to counter this sort of whisper campaign poo poo though, so people just assume the thing that "everyone knows" is true.

Hillary doesn't want it and basically nobody in America wants to pay the tax rate necessary to make single payer happen. Deal with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Night10194 posted:

Or, my favorite anecdote which I wish Clinton would have brought up:

Here in FL Rick Scott has refused to do what some other states have done and expand Medicaid with federal funds as part of Obamacare because he's a tool. Of course thanks to SCOTUS' Obamacare ruling states were allowed to decide whether or not to 'opt-in' to this expansion, rather than just do it as the law had intended. So there is a sizeable 'doughnut hole' of people in FL (around 1 million) who make too much to qualify for Medicaid but too poor to qualify for healthcare subsidies on the healthcare exchanges.

One woman here in this state died because she was in this situation. She had a genetic heart defect which meant she had to take I think nitroglycerin pills so she wouldn't die. Well eventually she had financial problems with her jobs and was unable to afford all of the required medication, and as mentioned fell into this 'doughnut hole' of no coverage. So she bought the drugs she could afford and took partial dosages until her heart failed and she died. She had at least one small child who will have no parent because Rick Scott is a giant rear end in a top hat who would rather not expand Medicaid out of 'principle' as opposed to save lives.

https://thinkprogress.org/this-32-year-old-florida-woman-is-dead-because-her-state-refused-to-expand-medicaid-431e2e37d9d1#.tsrai4x8s

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

reminder:

Yeah but to be fair that extra minute was all the time he spent complaining about extra minutes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

reminder:

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/785352070568304640

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

disjoe posted:

Honestly Costa probably just heard of a RNC meeting to prioritize down ballot and leave Trump for dead.
There's a major RNC conference call tomorrow and Pence cancelled another event, so who knows.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lamb Chowder posted:

This is a political artifact that doesn't seem to go away and it gets into weirder territory than any freeloading food stampers with IPhones claims down to people claiming whole ghost towns of Canadians appearing out of the mist along the plain state borders like the Flying Dutchman if it were a hospital ship.

It would be hilarious if Trump's statement spirals into a serious movement of "those durn frostbacks comin' in an' takin' ar healthcare!"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I don't have any interest in guys loving but I'd happily kick Chuck Tingle a sawbuck for bringing me the humor he has over the last year or so.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hillary doesn't want it and basically nobody in America wants to pay the tax rate necessary to make single payer happen. Deal with it.
And make sure you deal with it soon because you literally have less time to deal with it than people who live in countries with single-payer health care.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Andrast posted:

But Humira is expensive, you really have to consider the feelings of the insurance company.

I mean, it genuinely is. I have to make sure I structure what insurance I pick around 'Can I keep getting my loving humira' because there is no way in hell I could afford even half price on this stuff. Were it not for Obamacare none of the insurers would even take me since I have an expensive pre-existing.

One of the (many) reasons this election is loving personal is one of the candidates is out to push plans that would lead to me going back to being crippled. When I first got my medication, the day after I first took it, I remember getting up and feeling really strange and heading off to a meeting, unable to put my finger on it. When I got out of my car without having to pause a few seconds to brace myself for how much any pressure on my wrists was going to hurt it hit me: I wasn't in pain for the first time in like 3 years.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Go look up how often that happens in the American healthcare system. One person dying is still one too many, but it still happens much less often here than down there.

Our system is far from perfect but its still better than most other countries have to offer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

gently caress it, I'll take it a step further. As someone who suffered a life-threatening emergency (an extremely virulent and near-dearly case of H1N1 Swine Flu), the Canadian healthcare system saved my life. I hobbled into the emergency room of my local hospital on death's door and was basically catapulted immediately into the intensive care unit, where I was placed in a medically induced coma and put on a ventilator for three and a half weeks as a team of doctors and nurses worked their asses off to try and save my life while my parents and sister waited in heartbreaking anxiety and cried themselves to sleep every night as I teetered on the edge of pulling through or slipping away and dying.

When I came out of that coma, I had another three weeks head of me in the hospital, ten days more in the ICU and another ten in recovery in general population, plus three months recovery time at home. I still haven't fully recovered from it, in all honesty. The breathing tube they shoved down my throat permanently damaged my voice box, my lungs are caked with scar tissue from both the H1N1 and the pneumonia I also had whilst fighting it, and my tongue still hurts every day as it slowly grows back because the doctors cut a nickle-sized chunk of it out to fit the breathing tube down my throat.

Was my stay in the hospital a living hell? God yes. Did I scream at and curse out several doctors and nurses with my barely audible intubation-ravaged voice in a medication impaired state? You wouldn't believe it. Do I think I could have gotten better care? Probably.

But that doesn't loving matter. I'm alive. Because of the Canadian healthcare system. Which spent tens of thousands of dollars on me alone to make sure I would survive.

And neither I, nor my parents, nor my sister, nor anyone else in my life has to pay for one cent of it.

gently caress Donald Trump. Forever.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

disjoe posted:

Yeah word on the street was that R leadership was going to meet after debate to figure out where to go from here. I doubt Trump performed at a level to inspire them to actually stand behind him.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Dammit Costa, spill it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Kilroy posted:

And make sure you deal with it soon because you literally have less time to deal with it than people who live in countries with single-payer health care.

All the flavors in the world and you choose salty. :allears:

Doctors in America usually charge/get paid more than other countries and none of them want that to change. People in America usually pay less in taxes and nobody wants it to change.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

Some Non single-payer countries have higher life expectancies than single-payer ones.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Paul Ryan is planning to have a meeting with House Republicans tomorrow morning. The RNC is planning to have a conference call with all members of the RNC tomorrow afternoon.

No agenda, not yet known what they are going to talk about, but obviously the GOP has to be freaked the gently caress out by their insane, hated, moronic nominee.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

As much as a lot of people are disappointed that Hillary didn't perform the coup de gras tonight when you're in a knife fight and your opponent is flailing around bleeding out in the corner the smart move is to keep them penned in and let nature take it's course, and I feel that's pretty much exactly what she did.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

So Costa is on MSNBC now and all he said was Trump's team doesn't give a flying gently caress about the RNC meeting tomorrow.

So probably no Pence stuff, probably nothing dramatic, but probably a huge shift in Republican Party resources away from the Trump campaign.

But Costa was a little dodgy when asked about Pence, so I don't think even he knows what's going on there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Northjayhawk posted:

Paul Ryan is planning to have a meeting with House Republicans tomorrow morning. The RNC is planning to have a conference call with all members of the RNC tomorrow afternoon.

No agenda, not yet known what they are going to talk about, but obviously the GOP has to be freaked the gently caress out by their insane, hated, moronic nominee.

Don't forget private polling by the two parties apparently suggested the Trump Death Spiral is actually worse than it looks. If he didn't even end up stopping the bleeding tonight and they know more is coming...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

Doctors in America usually charge/get paid more than other countries and none of them want that to change. People in America usually pay less in taxes and nobody wants it to change.

A shitton of people want our medical system to change, what universe do you live in?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah word on the street was that R leadership was going to meet after debate to figure out where to go from here. I doubt Trump performed at a level to inspire them to actually stand behind him.

Yeah, but did he perform poorly enough that they can be openly hostile to him? It's difficult to imagine how hard GOP leadership would get hosed by Trump's base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

DeusExMachinima posted:

Some people want it to change particularly people around the age of 79.3 years of life, because that's typically when they die a few years earlier than people living in countries with single-payer.

But yes other people, stupid people, don't want it to change. Yet. That is correct.

• Locked thread