Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I keep watching clips from the debate of Trump meandering around and getting way too close behind Hilary on mute and it's just hilarious. Trump looks like a lost man accidentally wandered onto the stage sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Talking to some NJ friends.

I wonder if the fatass from NJ didn't tell Donnie about the train crash or natural gas leak in Paterson(the place Donnie said was dancing during 9/1) that destroyed a couple of homes.

Donnie would definately go tinhat if he heard about these news items.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lol, Trump skipping the third debate would be a total disaster. He can't possibly think this would improve his numbers, especially at a time where his campaign is on life support and the party is looking for a reason to pull the plug.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kilroy posted:

Haha if he drops out of the third debate after weathering the relatively more hostile first and second then he really is just throwing the fight. There is no other explanation.

What can their strategy even be? Is Bannon just stringing Trump along as a sacrificial figurehead for the alt-right?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Lid posted:

Explain the brilliance of this plan.

His debate performances are not good enough to give his campaign longterm stability and he's not winning any new voters. If anything, the debates present unnecessary risk.

He gets to mitigate risk, end the debates on a high note and also show the voting public that he doesn't follow the "political establishment" and their rules.

If he can do that and keep his campaign in order for another few weeks, he can ride to a slim victory in November.

EDIT:

SomeMathGuy posted:

I'd imagine at this point the gameplan is less about winning and more about trying to make it look like he only lost because the system was against him.

This too - it gives him a great martyr status combined with being a rebel/maverick.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 10, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

HorseRenoir posted:

lol, Trump skipping the third debate would be a total disaster. He can't possibly think this would improve his numbers, especially at a time where his campaign is on life support and the party is looking for a reason to pull the plug.

I'd imagine at this point the gameplan is less about winning and more about trying to make it look like he only lost because the system was against him.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh please throw a tantrum over this, yes.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/785359908891799557

Sounds like the tantrum's already happening.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

trash person posted:

The whole Bill thing was an absolute non-starter. That's why I don't get why he did his press conference with them before the debate. Do it on Tuesday or Wednesday. Not literally right before something that will inevitably be a far bigger hold on the news cycle.

I think the real answer is that Trump (and presumably his handlers who can't do their job handling the Don) has less ability to compute logic coherently than the Baby Executive in your avatar.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Red Bones posted:

I just woke up in Europe, how did the debate go?

Clinton left a lot on the table and didnt really attack Trump. Mostly policy talk and awkward looks.
Trump spent 30 minutes farting into a microphone then 9 minutes talking gibberish. Then he bailed as soon as it was done, again, instead of mingling with the poors people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HorseRenoir posted:

Periodiko posted:

What can their strategy even be? Is Bannon just stringing Trump along as a sacrificial figurehead for the alt-right?

If he legit skips the third debate? Yes.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Amergin posted:

keep his campaign in order
what

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Periodiko posted:

Threaten the poo poo out of the committee, tell them you're quitting, compromise by showing up but letting the Clinton rape accusers sit in the front and punch Bill in the face.

Art of the Deal.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
If I were less lazy I'd replace trump with confused travolta in gifs

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

speng31b posted:

I wonder if the moderators knew about this shitshow before the debate? That would explain a lot of their hostility towards him. Imagine being told that you were in charge of properly moderating this loving monstrosity and that Trump was throwing a shitfit because he had been trying to seed the audience with political props. God drat.

Yeah, this would explain a lot

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Amergin posted:

His debate performances are not good enough to give his campaign longterm stability and he's not winning any new voters. If anything, the debates present unnecessary risk.

He gets to mitigate risk, end the debates on a high note and also show the voting public that he doesn't follow the "political establishment" and their rules.

If he can do that and keep his campaign in order for another few weeks, he can ride to a slim victory in November.

The debate will happen with or without him, and he will be only be pandering to his base by absenteeism. Mitigating risk is like tonight - showing up and being graded on a curve. Not showing up is a terrible terrible plan and you would fail any political science class running this argument.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I hope so

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-debates-biggest-loser-was-the-gop/article/2004794

quote:

The Debate's Biggest Loser Was the GOP

Trump does just well enough to doom Republicans on November 8.

11:59 PM, Oct 09, 2016 | By Jonathan V. Last

There is one important sense in which Donald Trump "won" the debate on Sunday night: He did not implode. He wasn't "good," or attractive, or knowledgeable. He was coarse and whiny and unpleasant. He lied constantly. And he became the first presidential candidate in the history of our Republic to promise that if elected he would attempt to have his opponent face criminal prosecution. Actually, he went a bit further than that, telling Clinton that if he is president, "You'd be in jail." Which, by the by, should terrify you and be disqualifying all on its own.

But Trump didn't have a psychotic break onstage. And clearing that bar might be enough to keep Mike Pence, Paul Ryan, and Reince Priebus from publicly disavowing his candidacy this week.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what a win looks like for Trump these days.

We stand at a moment in history where dozens of Republican representatives, senators, and governors have not only publicly vowed not to vote for the Republican nominee but have called on him to vacate the nomination. Where four weeks before Election Day, one-in-four Republican voters want their nominee to drop out of the race. (And that number is almost certain to rise over the next week.)

This is unprecedented. And catastrophic. Before the "grab them by the pus—y" tape, Trump was already down by five points with only four weeks to go. He was behind in Florida. Ditto North Carolina. His deficit in Pennsylvania was nearly double digits.

So the question going into the St. Louis debate wasn't "Can Trump turn the race around?" He cannot. No, the question was: "Can Trump perform well enough to avoid being forced out before Election Day?"

The three men with the power to force Trump's hand are Pence, Ryan, and Priebus. And while none of them are foolish enough to think that Trump has a chance to be president, they may decide after tonight that pushing the self-destruct button on the party's presidential campaign is too risky; that it's better to try to ride out the storm.

Which means that there wasn't really a "winner" at the debate. Clinton was terrible. Trump was marginally worse. But the big loser was the Republican party. Because the worst-case scenario for November 9 is not that Hillary Clinton wins—again, that cake is baked. It's that if the party does not cut Trump loose, then Democrats also take over the Senate. And carry the House.

And then as it attempts to rebuild from the wreckage, the GOP remains buried under its shameful Trumpian legacy

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Periodiko posted:

I don't know Bannon well at all but his strategy as of late is like an Internet troll having to come to terms with the fact that, hey, clicks and page views and attention on the Internet does not translate into success in real life adult world.

Like Palmer Luckey's meme funding.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Lid posted:

The debate will happen with or without him, and he will be only be pandering to his base by absenteeism. Mitigating risk is like tonight - showing up and being graded on a curve. Not showing up is a terrible terrible plan and you would fail any political science class running this argument.

The debate doesn't happen without him. Without him, it's just a little town hall for Hillary that will garner 0 attention.

EDIT: Unless they get it to be a Fox News interview 1-on-1 with Hillary, but she/her campaign wouldn't play ball with that.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Amergin posted:

Things Matter - nonattendance isn't neutral, it's a huge loss. The Clinton campaign is competent and it will hurt him yugely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Periodiko posted:

I thought it was pretty clear they had no strategy.

If the best you can do is hold a press conference with women linked to Bill Clinton and then throw a tantrum when they aren't allowed to confront him during a debate like this, you're in a lot of trouble.

This is on top of the fact that they have spent 2-3 days now handwaving Trump's awful comments about women without a good line of defense other than 'oh this is not the Donald I know'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

trash person posted:

I don't know Bannon well at all but his strategy as of late is like an Internet troll having to come to terms with the fact that, hey, clicks and page views and attention on the Internet does not translate into success in real life adult world.

Like Palmer Luckey's meme funding.
Bannon/Conway are the perfect people for Trump because they will just buy into his nonsense and amplify what he says to his crazy alt-right supporters. They are not the kind of people you want to have in charge of a national campaign.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Of course Trump will attend the third debate. They are doing this because by threatening to pull out it distracts from his tapes and gets the media to talk about something else.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/785351012416716800

Yeah, sure, whatever.

I wish I was capable of this level of denial.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://twitter.com/BryFun1/status/785310574917804032

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
if trump ditches the 3rd debate, would they just have hillary debate an empty chair a'la clint eastwood?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Of course Trump will attend the third debate. They are doing this because by threatening to pull out it distracts from his tapes and gets the media to talk about something else.

"Heh we can get them to stop talking about our roof being on fire by pointing out our water pipes are bursting at their rivets!" - Giuliani

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

joepinetree posted:

You're still assigning competent strategy to them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wow, this is actually really fascinating! I never really thought about gender and power dynamics in the Western world in the 1970s, but this is really cool to read through, thanks!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Night10194 posted:

It could be accidental competence.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

That's still not a competent strategy, it only works if you assume there aren't enough hours in the day to make Trump look bad in two distinct ways. It worked when Teflon Trump was still a thing, and the myriad poo poo Trump did made it all seem like a blur, but those days are gone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

speng31b posted:

That's still not a competent strategy, it only works if you assume there aren't enough hours in the day to make Trump look bad in two distinct ways. It worked when Teflon Trump was still a thing, but those days are gone.

I think they're going to have a hard time adjusting to the fact that that dumb lolnothingmatters aura is gone.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Instant Sunrise posted:

if trump ditches the 3rd debate, would they just have hillary debate an empty chair a'la clint eastwood?
Actually I think the rules state that she has to debate Clint Eastwood.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Mike Pence is not attending another event Monday.

As for the Trump/debate commission/family box situation, are the rules for the family box as strict as it sounds, as in specifically family only or family and close persons/campaign members? I get that Trump would be Trump and throw a bitch fit but at the same time it seems really loving stupid to throw a tantrum, even for Trump.

Also Amergin, I cannot see how anyone would think skipping the third debate could possibly benefit Trump in any manner in terms of his ability to win.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bannon/Conway are the perfect people for Trump because they will just buy into his nonsense and amplify what he says to his crazy alt-right supporters. They are not the kind of people you want to have in charge of a national campaign.

they're good insofar that they've sort of fully realized the art of pushing and manipulating narratives.

take dropping out of the third debate. on the surface, its stupid. but they know fully well how to create a story about how trump is so upset over how unfair the debates were to weave it into their narrative of trump the super strong business master outsider here to make america great again. The fact that there is not one iota of fact to back up their claims doesn't matter, because most centrists go off of tummy feels and whatever story most supports the quasi-romanticism style story of a little guy fighting against nebulous Bad Things like corruption or whatever. I think they could get away with doing it and a lot of voters would be willing to "consider" their story aka throw it in a trashcan with the truth and go I DUNNO I GUESS THEYRE ALL BAD

its not enough cuz trump is ridiculous but its a scary sort of power that i dont like them being good at.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Doing a dumb freak out to attract attention is a standard Trump strategy.

Hillary didn't put the boot in during the debate but maybe there's a strategy to let Trump talk and pick over it later. Presumably stuff like the arrest threat will be picked over later.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Trump skipping the debates while still losing in the polls makes it look like he's giving up.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 10, 2016

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Fangz posted:

Doing a dumb freak out to attract attention is a standard Trump strategy.

Hillary didn't put the boot in during the debate but maybe there's a strategy to let Trump talk and pick over it later. Presumably stuff like the arrest threat will be picked over later.

It's already in the top bulletpoints the media is running with. It's like an infected wound, it's just going to get worse.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Night10194 posted:

yeah this is reminding me of some of the stories that came out of the russian space program about how they would look at the space shuttle and think that america must have had some super-secret reason for designing the shuttle the way we did and that it couldn't just be that it's a weird compromise design between wildly different requirements in order to get funded.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

remusclaw posted:

Trump skips the debates while still losing in the polls looks like he's giving up.

Reminder: He was favored to win Iowa back when we didn't realize he was going to be nominee yet, skipped the debate, and lost there. Also, as soon as he could get away with it as frontrunner, he stopped appearing in debates. Honestly, I think he just loving hates them. They're weird and uncomfortable for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

I'm really glad ~48 hours of Trump and his team's brainstorming led literally only to, "Hey guys what if we just made Bill Clinton shake hands with his accusers???"

• Locked thread