Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Yes foreign policy debate with Johnson.

I was reading an article the other day about a college football game in like the 1910s where the score was 222-0 when they finally ended it early. I feel like that's a really good analogy for what that debate would be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mantis42 posted:

Pussywater

Chappaquimick

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
prediction for the next debate: trump goes after clinton for not magically convincing north korea to return the uss pueblo when she was secstate, and manages to completely get the details of wrong, calling it a battleship

source: none, i just made it up

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 10, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Josef bugman posted:

That is not a needle that can be threaded and you know it.

Yeah I do, that was kind of my point? It's better for Trump to not blow up so spectacularly that he falls through his floor of support, because that gives the "real" Republicans an opportunity to jump ship. Better for him to keep his 35-40% or whatever so that outright betrayal is suicide.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SpaceDrake posted:

More to the point: we want a kill-shot because a kill-shot has the best chance of landing now. Trump is a buffoon who possibly may be unconsciously sabotaging his own election, but he's also done a sterling job at revealing just how vulnerable America is, now and at least for the next four years, to capital-F Fascism. If Trump's politics are not completely repudiated - if he fails not just because he's loathsome but because all his ideas represent a destruction of democracy - then in four or perhaps eight years a more clever person might come along, who knows how to use Trump's kind of rhetoric and Fascist goals but is much better at image and politics - he doesn't piss off every single demographic that isn't whites over 30, in particular can manage to win over young folk and women to some degree, and can actually play politics just well enough to get the Republican political machine behind him - then that's it. The ticket is punched. There would be an extreme danger of the Union as a democracy going the way of the Weimar Republic.

It cannot be stressed enough how dangerous men like Trump are to functioning democracies. And the events of the past thirty years or so have made America more vulnerable to such men than at any other point in our history.

Clinton pulled her punches tonight when she clearly could have gone for the kill shot.

She wants republicans to still be tied to Trump when she goes Keyser Soze on their rear end around the third debate.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

lozzle posted:

In what world is foreign policy Trumps "strong suit?" The man wants to steal Iraq's oil, threaten to withdraw form NATO, and give nuclear weapons to Japan, South Korea and Saudi Arabia.

As Richard Engel put it so brilliantly after the first debate, Trump describes setting up a global protection racket like the mafia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xetosjd910

Edit: Hah, on taking the oil "Does that mean putting a straw in the ground in Libya and in Iraq and pulling out the oil before we left there? It has no grounding even in reality, let alone in foreign policy".

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 10, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah I dunno about all the suppositions of Clinton playing 4D Chess.

She did pretty well tonight.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just woke up and started watching the debate now. First question, and he sounds worse than during the first, his sniffles have evolved into heavy breathing and whining it's not fair. I'm in for a doozy, aren't I?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

She wants republicans to still be tied to Trump when she goes Keyser Soze on their rear end around the third debate.

The other half of this is she needs the GOP to pull the plug on trump instead of putting him down herself. If there's a real rift between now and Election Day his base is gonna go insane and boycott down ticket.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Artificer posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think Clinton actually has any control over this. Whether or not Trump completely implodes is on him and how he reacts to what will probably be a nonstop stream of scandals from here out.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
From a few pages back:

I knew that question sounded suspiciously out of place, having looked at the top polling questions a couple times over the last week. I'm not surprised.

cult member at airport posted:

In general the questions at these debates have been awful. Barely any mention of climate change, criminal justice reform/racism in law enforcement, LGBT issues, etc.

Do you believe you can be a devoted president to all the people of the United States?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think Clinton actually has any control over this. Whether or not Trump completely implodes is on him and how he reacts to what will probably be a nonstop stream of scandals from here out.

She could have answered some questions better certainly, like on the Public/Private opinions thing, and have answered how she would stamp down on Islamophobia more concretely. I'm not sure what sort of bait she could've used this time around.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Artificer posted:

She did well only because Trump can't help but poo poo himself.

There was no Machado drop like in the first debate even though they have volumes of opposition research on Trump so yeah, she pulled her punches (and still won).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Artificer posted:

Clinton strategy is very simple: Let him talk.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Josef bugman posted:

gently caress this false equivilance.

I don't see any equivalence here. One shows Trump being the petulant child he is, the other shows a legitimate argument presented by Hillary. Remember, 43-44% of the electorate will follow Trump no matter what. What matters now is how the ~ 10% of dumb gently caress undecideds perceive things. Trump just being himself is ruining his standing with said undecided voters.

That being said, was I the only one that wanted to sucker punch every single undecided that asked a question? I seriously have a hard time fathoming that anyone can be so incredibly naive as to be undecided at this point in the race. Hillary and Trump are so contrasting, how can anyone at this point, with 3rd party options, be "undecided". The whole thing is either a bullshit ploy, or people really are that disconnected and stupid. Sadly, it's probably the latter.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

dont even fink about it posted:

Clinton strategy is very simple: Let him talk.

Offering him to take the healthcare question first was a good move, unfortunately he didn't bite. Him having to talk policy without hearing a Clinton answer to attack would have been very difficult for him.

Artificer posted:

She could have answered some questions better certainly, like on the Public/Private opinions thing, and have answered how she would stamp down on Islamophobia more concretely. I'm not sure what sort of bait she could've used this time around.

She kept throwing attacking asides at him in nearly every answer to the point that I was actually getting annoyed at her (in an abstract "that's not good strategery" sense), and they didn't seem to get under his skin quite the same way. The audience seems to have caught on them based on the instapolls, though.

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

I don't see any equivalence here. One shows Trump being the petulant child he is, the other shows a legitimate argument presented by Hillary. Remember, 43-44% of the electorate will follow Trump no matter what. What matters now is how the ~ 10% of dumb gently caress undecideds perceive things. Trump just being himself is ruining his standing with said undecided voters.

That being said, was I the only one that wanted to sucker punch every single undecided that asked a question? I seriously have a hard time fathoming that anyone can be so incredibly naive as to be undecided at this point in the race. Hillary and Trump are so contrasting, how can anyone at this point, with 3rd party options, be "undecided". The whole thing is either a bullshit ploy, or people really are that disconnected and stupid. Sadly, it's probably the latter.

There is no way the Muslim woman asking about Islamophobia was genuinely undecided.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Antti posted:

Offering him to take the healthcare question first was a good move, unfortunately he didn't bite. Him having to talk policy without hearing a Clinton answer to attack would have been very difficult for him.

She kept throwing attacking asides at him in nearly every answer to the point that I was actually getting annoyed at her (in an abstract "that's not good strategery" sense), and they didn't seem to get under his skin quite the same way. The audience seems to have caught on them based on the instapolls, though.

There is no way the Muslim woman asking about Islamophobia was genuinely undecided.

Yeah I'm glad that the polls seem to show that she still came out on top.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Antti posted:

Which goes against the theme of the town hall. It's supposed to be all undecided, un-biased voters asking questions, but some of them were clearly fitting the electorate for one of the two candidates.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

Which goes against the theme of the town hall. It's supposed to be all undecided, un-biased voters asking questions, but some of them were clearly fitting the electorate for one of the two candidates.

Anyone who is undecided at this point either isn't voting or is an abject fool.

Pretending like there's some great moral or intellectual choice between these two candidates is a farce on its face. Donald Trump is a fascist clown who should never have been taken seriously. That he is, is a testament to the sheer depth of hatefulness many Americans feel towards others not like them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

The organization that picked the so-called undecideds was Gallup. You know, the outfit that stopped polling the US presidential election after 2012.

The idea that undecided voters are unbiased is of course prima facie nonsense; the whole thing is nonsense. You should do some sort of curated crowdsourcing for questions so you get a pool of interesting questions that your regular cabal of journalists wouldn't think about.

"Say something nice about the other candidate" was a clever question but definitely not by the questioner's intent; it was a character test for Trump that he barely passed. But it shows that crowdsourced questions can have merit.

iamanLLC
May 25, 2007

We're all dead and this is hell...
Chiming in to say that Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz were my clear winners for tonight.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Like I said, I'm watching the debate late and they just discussed the emails. Does Trump think the emails are actual physical prints that were 'acid washed' with bleach? What the hell?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

isildur posted:

Someone asked why we want kill-shots.

It's because we need to run up the loving score, or this is going to happen again and again, every four years like clockwork. These people are not going to slink away quietly.

I have good news. They are literally dying out and being outbred by everyone else. Cheer up, this is the last dying gasp of that deplorable demographic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember it was just 2 weeks ago that Trump had narrowed 538's forecast to 52/48? And Hillary supposedly was pulling ads from and conceding Ohio?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 10, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Remember it was just 2 weeks ago that Trump had narrowed 538's forecast to 54/45? And Hillary supposedly was pulling ads from and conceding Ohio?

Not fighting for Ohio is still a valid approach but... yeah. And remember the pre-first debate Arzying? :allears:

If Trump had turned in this performance in debate one without Pussyghazi in the background he probably wouldn't have gone into quite such a tailspin... until the tape dropped.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have good news. They are literally dying out and being outbred by everyone else. Cheer up, this is the last dying gasp of that deplorable demographic.

If we continue to get Republican nominees in the style of Trump, prepare for the thousand-year Hillareich.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

She did well only because Trump can't help but poo poo himself.

There was no Machado drop like in the first debate even though they have volumes of opposition research on Trump so yeah, she pulled her punches (and still won).

There's no point in dropping anything like that tonight. If it makes the news, it's moving the story from the tape and they can't drop it later once the tape has blown over. If it doesn't make the news cos of the tape, they wasted it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally caught up in this. Glad to see that people generally agree with what I concluded.

I wonder where we're going from here. I really want to see the Republican reaction to this after everyone wakes up and stuff. Also what other things emerge to sink Trump further, because we all know there has to be more.

Antti posted:

Not fighting for Ohio is still a valid approach but... yeah. And remember the pre-first debate Arzying? :allears:

If Trump had turned in this performance in debate one without Pussyghazi in the background he probably wouldn't have gone into quite such a tailspin... until the tape dropped.

Things have shifted fast and it's very gratifying to see, yeah.

awesmoe posted:

There's no point in dropping anything like that tonight. If it makes the news, it's moving the story from the tape and they can't drop it later once the tape has blown over. If it doesn't make the news cos of the tape, they wasted it.

This is a very good point, actually. There was no need to provide new stuff against him because something was already provided for them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Antti posted:

The organization that picked the so-called undecideds was Gallup. You know, the outfit that stopped polling the US presidential election after 2012.

The idea that undecided voters are unbiased is of course prima facie nonsense; the whole thing is nonsense. You should do some sort of curated crowdsourcing for questions so you get a pool of interesting questions that your regular cabal of journalists wouldn't think about.

"Say something nice about the other candidate" was a clever question but definitely not by the questioner's intent; it was a character test for Trump that he barely passed. But it shows that crowdsourced questions can have merit.

It's not too hard to do the mental gymnastics required to call yourself undecided even when you're almost definitely going to vote for one candidate or the other. "Well I'm leaning toward Clinton, but if she unhinged her jaw and swallowed an infant whole then I'd definitely vote against her" -- An undecided voter, technically

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Roland Jones posted:

Finally caught up in this. Glad to see that people generally agree with what I concluded.

I wonder where we're going from here. I really want to see the Republican reaction to this after everyone wakes up and stuff. Also what other things emerge to sink Trump further, because we all know there has to be more.

No one can imagine what happens next because no one truly knows how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

awesmoe posted:

Exactly. "Miss Piggy" and "Miss Housekeeping" are nothing compared to "Grab 'em by the pussy".

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

No one can imagine what happens next because no one truly knows how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Well, one thing we can guarantee is at least 3-4 days of absolutely abysmal polling for Trump as the polling lag catches up with his tape release.

:getin:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So what's the verdict on the debate?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Taeke posted:

Like I said, I'm watching the debate late and they just discussed the emails. Does Trump think the emails are actual physical prints that were 'acid washed' with bleach? What the hell?

https://www.bleachbit.org/

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Donald Trump is loving gross.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ash Crimson posted:

Trump did better than expected, and still lost. Hillary didn't execute him then and there but he's still going to lose the election hard; at best he might have stopped the GOP from cutting ties now, which is probably worse for the Republicans in the long run really.

Next few days are going to be a mix of more Trump Tape coverage and dissecting all the awful, stupid things he said in the debate.

Edit: Also:

https://twitter.com/BryFun1/status/785310574917804032

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 10, 2016

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ash Crimson posted:

Trump lost but did not get utterly destroyed like most hoped/expected.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Antti posted:

The Arzying pre-first debate was a bit valid. Looking back at the 2012 election, everyone saw Romney as a robotic Wall Street shill that in no possible way could outsmart Obama. After that debate, Romney beat Obama almost as bad as Hillary bested Trump after the first debate. He appeared human, warm, and genuine to many people and Obama seemed flustered and disorganized. While I understand Romney is no Trump, it was plausible that had Trump stayed on message and not come across like the arrogant prick he his, he could have come out on top. Sadly for him and his constituents, he failed to control his massive ego and rage. If Trump had a Romney style debate, coming across calm, collected, and human, he would be in a dead heat or beating Hillary. Now though, that dude is hosed barring a massive Hillary meltdown, which simply won't happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Holy poo poo, everyone check out the main page of CNN. It's entirely about Trump threatening to send Hillary to jail.

From the top of the page to the bottom in order:
"If I win you're going to jail"
"Trump said special prosecutor to probe Clinton if he wins"
"Trump: I will get prosecutor to look into Hillary"
"Trump calls Hillary the devil and then attacks her over her husband"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ash Crimson posted:

It will change nothing and Trump will continue his downfall.

• Locked thread