Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I didn't even notice at first but Canada has taken the eastern part of Alaska.

This might be a depiction of a future earth where the world has gone to war and borders have been redrawn, global warming has pushed the Sydney Opera and the Statue of Liberty out into the sea, Greenland has started to develop several settlements on their eastern coast and north-eastern Siberia has gotten a metropolis to be the envy of the world... pretty weird for a children's map.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Northern Ireland debate has been resolved by a giant robin.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Bolivia must be happy about the War of the Pacific never happening.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Sweden annexed Denmark. Lithuania annexed Kaliningrad Oblast. The architectures of Calgary and Siberia are identical.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Finland gets an access to the Arctic Ocean. A good map.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

fade5 posted:

Jordan and Syria appear to have been mostly absorbed by Iraq, Turkey, and the newly square Israel. (Alternatively, Jordan is the square and Israel's been absorbed by Egypt.)

Other conquests include Russia and Iran dividing up Georgia/Armenia/Azerbaijan, and the UAE taking over northern Oman. To the east, Afghanistan's lost its northern third and India has apparently decided to start restoring Greater India, starting with northern Pakistan.

In Africa, Ethiopia has its sea access back by annexing Djibouti, half of Somalia, and half of Eritrea, which is now a triangle.

Tasmania has declared independence from Australia, cheered on by the single island of New Zealand. Meanwhile, Papua New Guinea has taken control of the entirety of New Guinea.

In the Caribbean, Cuba got tired of all the various island nations and simplified things by annexing them all.

And yet somehow the map does a decent job of depicting Western Africa.:iiam:

Lesotho, Swaziland, and southern Mozambique have all been absorbed by Greater South Africa. Bangladesh, Nepal, and Bhutan have taken over large parts of India and now all share mutual borders. Burma has taken Assam, Nagaland, and Manipur, I guess while India was occupied conquering large parts of Kashmir and Pakistan. Wakhan Corridor becomes the new hot contested region of central Asia. Thailand has lost all of its peninsula to Malaysia but has conquered large parts of Myanmar, including taking control of Yangon (I bet they're glad they moved their capital!). Nicaragua doesn't deserve a nametag. Chile conquers the entirety of Tierra del Fuego. Argentina nukes the Falkland Islands out of existence. East Timor was again conquered by the Indonesians, in punishment for them having supported PNG ultranationalists. Uganda has captured Rwanda and Burundi and split the price with Tanzania.

Even for a children's map, this is pretty bad.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kamrat posted:

And this one is all kinds of wrong:

I'm the arctic anteater.

Or maybe the austrailian zebra giraffe, I'm not sure.

I'm definitely not that nerdy-rear end mongolian gerbil that's for sure.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Saladman posted:

Even for a children's map, this is pretty bad.

I think this is dangerously selling children short; wouldn't we want a map for kids to be accurate, so they can learn? Leave the abstract blobs to the adults who actually [maybe] [if they're not american] know what they're looking at?

Then again I was tracing maps when I was 8 so maybe I'm just a freak v:shobon:v

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I'm the arctic anteater.

Or maybe the austrailian zebra giraffe, I'm not sure.

I'm definitely not that nerdy-rear end mongolian gerbil that's for sure.

Have to give massive props for what appears to specifically be a quokka out in Western Australia, though.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Paris supremacy.

Source: https://www.itdp.org/publications/people-near-transit/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rapid Transit Shed:

Johannesburg is apt :flaccid::vuvu:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
For all the poo poo it gets Paris is a p good city. Like there is a reason 1/4 of frenchers live there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's not because everything else sucks even more?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I get mad when I see maps like that because it only takes like an hour or two in ArcMap to throw them together. I wonder how much they were paid to make them

e: I'm just bitter bc I can't find a job, the maps look nice

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The job market is tough for cartographers these days. loving satellites

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Did you look at the map scales or just assume they were 1:1?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

blugu64 posted:

Did you look at the map scales or just assume they were 1:1?

Paris has 100% coverage. Read the pdf.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

vintagepurple posted:

For all the poo poo it gets Paris is a p good city. Like there is a reason 1/4 of frenchers live there.

its poo poo op

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Paris has 100% coverage. Read the pdf.

Yeah, but Paris proper means what's named "Inner Ring Boundary" on the map. It's hilariously small in area compared to most of the other cities, especially Beijing. Washington has no excuse though, yeah.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
DC's excuse is that it's a square with low density areas, rather than a squiggly line around the high density areas.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Kassad posted:

Yeah, but Paris proper means what's named "Inner Ring Boundary" on the map. It's hilariously small in area compared to most of the other cities, especially Beijing. Washington has no excuse though, yeah.

It's literally only 41 square miles, or put another way only 26% larger then the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blugu64 posted:

It's literally only 41 square miles, or put another way only 26% larger then the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport.

DFW has trains too.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Where’s Ukraine? Each dot depicts the location where a U.S. survey respondent situated Ukraine; the dots are colored based on how far removed they are from the actual country, with the most accurate responses in red and the least accurate ones in blue.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I like the responses in the middle of the Black Sea

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, you wouldn't be able to tell it was a sea from that map unless you already knew. Same for the Caspian Sea.

I'm more excited for the one guy who can't get past the Falklands.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ekuNNN posted:

Where’s Ukraine? Each dot depicts the location where a U.S. survey respondent situated Ukraine; the dots are colored based on how far removed they are from the actual country, with the most accurate responses in red and the least accurate ones in blue.
Ukraine? That's near Kansas, right? :downs:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Ukraine? That's near Kansas, right? :downs:

No, it's in the Falklands.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Kopijeger posted:

No, it's in the Falklands.

Nah, it's in the ocean south of New Zealand.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
las islas crimeas son argentinas

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Ukraine is clearly a tiny island between China and the Korean peninsula

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ekuNNN posted:

In 300 years, this map will serve as a basis for a post-post-apocalyptic Ukrainian empire's territorial claims.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's a clear vertical line running through the middle of RUssia and China where people stop guessing. I wonder if the map they used for the survey had an end of a page there, and displayed the rest of Asia west of the Americas or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

There's a clear vertical line running through the middle of RUssia and China where people stop guessing. I wonder if the map they used for the survey had an end of a page there, and displayed the rest of Asia west of the Americas or something.
Alternatively, the survey did not display the map in full, with respondents having to scroll right to see the rest of Asia.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm the Independent Island Nation of Ukraine, hundreds of miles off the south coast of New Zealand

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alternatively, the survey did not display the map in full, with respondents having to scroll right to see the rest of Asia.
That makes the one person scrolling all the way into the far right corner to pick their answer even better.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I have to wonder if some of those are caused by a mobile implementation that got dragging and clicking confused.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ekuNNN posted:

I'm the Former Bantustans of Ukraine, RSA.

Also the Ukraine archipelago off the northeastern coast of Scotland, with its rich Viking and Neolithic history, and 'slightly more correct' coloring.

Also the nationalists mad about the lack of Zimbabwean Ukraine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ekuNNN posted:

Now I'm wondering if there are some small towns in the Midwest called Ukraine that explain the dots in the US.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pakled posted:

Now I'm wondering if there are some small towns in the Midwest called Ukraine that explain the dots in the US.

I'm guessing Yukon / Ukraine confusion for everything in the US and Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A rare example of a map where the standard projection was modified to make New Zealand more visible.

Nothing special other than the twist in the projection, and the politically loaded vestiges of colonialism. If you want to make a map game of it, guess the date.