Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This is the best Magic commentary I've ever heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSETNXhu-f0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

The real tragedy is that I can't have it be at the helm of a commander list for the same reasons Elbrus isn't allowed.

Just like talk to the people you play with to try it out anyway and if it turns out to be broken then don't use it?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hellsau posted:

So I'm 8-1 at Grand Prix Atlanta. Skysovereign is a messed up magic card. Every game I played that card immediately became an unloseable farce. The only game that came close was the one where I was at 3 and my opponent was at 20 - I played Skysovereign, and three turns later my opponent casts Combustible Gearhulk and draws three and then dies.

It probably shouldn't only crew for 3.

Grats man. Good luck in the drafts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Oh get the actual gently caress out.

Platinum Emperion's ability is constant and applies at all times, even when it enters the battlefield in the middle of an ability resolving. By the time Madcap Experiment would deal damage to you, Emperion is preventing your life total from changing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Toast just happens to be a fringe employee who loves the same belts who is also a paralegal. It's all coincidences.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

Toast just happens to be a fringe employee who loves the same belts who is also a paralegal. It's all coincidences.

never heard of this deck but it sounds spicy

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

never heard of this deck but it sounds spicy

I try to reply to the star citizen thread and it posts it in the Magic thread . Good stuff.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

I try to reply to the star citizen thread and it posts it in the Magic thread . Good stuff.

Stop posting in the only thread worse than this one somehow.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He wasn't talking about pet island at all.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

They gas chambered the No Mans Sky thread

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

wow my friend is 12-0 at the gp

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Elyv posted:

wow my friend is 12-0 at the gp

How many sky sovereigns did he open?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sickening posted:

I really thought you were going for some sort of "Quicken Toast" pun there.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

There was a race today, the F1 thread should have had some activity.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
So, GP Atlanta is about 20 minutes after time and all matches are done. No ETA on the beginning of the next round - sounds like event reporter crapped out?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Dehtraen posted:

So, GP Atlanta is about 20 minutes after time and all matches are done. No ETA on the beginning of the next round - sounds like event reporter crapped out?

Stream says "Tournament delay due to technical issues".

edit lol

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 9, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Welp, went 0-3 in the first draft, 0-1 drop in the second. My first deck was a fine R/W aggro deck after pack 2 with 17 good playables including getting a Depala eighth pick in the second pack, and I totally missed on pack 3, first picking a Wayward Giant over an Aradara Express, with no other white, red or colorless cards in the pack, and the rest of the pack wasn't much better out of a sixth pick Pyrohelix. The packs just did not crack in my favor. I never saw a single vehicle in packs one or two, and saw three Aradara Expresses and a Demolition Stomper in pack three, which aren't ideal. My deck also did not work in my favor, since I just drew 9 or more lands in every game and lost because I chose to draft an aggro deck in a format without mana sinks. I wanted to play 16 lands, but I just didn't have a good card I wanted to play, I had three 5-drops in my deck, and if I were going to add a card it'd be a second Fragmentize or 5-drop which seemed worse than just playing 17 lands so I could cast my 5-drops and then side out a land for whatever card seems best. I could have built the deck with the Ninth Bridge Patrol and the Acrobatic Maneuvers, but that just seems like a hell of a lot of durdling when I could just play creatures and Inspired Charge my way to victory. Also I had a Fateful Showdown - I never drew it in three matches. It would have been a good draw when I was sitting with three or four lands in hand.

MTGO for visualization:

And then I drafted the worst deck I've ever drafted because I didn't choose a path until it was too late. White and green were completely cut to my right, black was open, red and blue were minorly open. I cut red completely, passed some good black cards, and took a late Malfunction and Gearseeker Serpent just to speculate. Then I waffled back and forth before figuring out that neither blue nor red were open, so I was just black. I opened my third pack to see a Verdurous Gearhulk, and I had two Attune the Aethers, so I tried to convince myself that it's not just a money draft. Fortunately, the only black or red card in the pack was a loving Wayward Giant, and I already first picked one of those mother fuckers, so I money drafted the Gearhulk and wheeled the stupid Giant anyway. Ended up with a half-formed Incendiary Sabotage deck with 9 creatures and 2 Inventor's Goggles. I was playing a control deck with Fretwork Colony, just to play on turn 2 and try to steal a game.

Turns out I played the player to my left in round one, who went red because he opened a Skyship Stalker and just went red, even though they received no good red cards pack one. Could have even won that match since they were R/W aggro and never played a creature with more than 3 toughness so having two Incendiary Sabotages gives me a pretty good advantage, but I managed to keep a four land hand in game 3 and end up with 4 spells and 10 lands, which is a slightly unwinnable position. I definitely only have myself to blame for that trainwreck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I really dislike the sealed, but judging by lsv's streams, Kaladesh draft is good and deep. Lots of opportunities for creative synergy.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Stream says "Tournament delay due to technical issues".

edit lol

This is like a lovely 80s thriller where you tell the computer a logical paradox to get it to explode

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

I really dislike the sealed, but judging by lsv's streams, Kaladesh draft is good and deep. Lots of opportunities for creative synergy.

My thought is that MaRo dramatically overhyped it - it's a mediocre format on its basic level and made worse by the number of game-breaking bombs, many of which are ludicriously undercosted for Constructed reasons - if you play limited regularly at all, you WILL get bombed out by a Gearhulk or Skysovereign at some point.

The basic format isn't really that wonderful either - the most commonly seen mechanic (Fabricate) results in constant board stalls and Energy is rarely worth building around due to the lack of common energy payoffs (sure, Eddytrail Hawk and the Thriving cycle are payoffs, but they barely require any additional investment into energy production). And that's not to say Energy isn't a functional mechanic, I just think its less interesting in limited than I would have hoped. I do like Vehicles, though, the way it functions can feel a little wonky.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Someone asked for it the other day so here it is:

Testing this in standard:

Jesky flash:

Creatures:

4x Mausoleum Wanderer

4x Rattlechains
4x Selfless Spirit
4x Dimensional Infiltrator

4x Spell Queller

/20

Spells:

4x Harnessed Lightning

2x Unsubstantiate

4x Spell Shrivel
4x Fevered Visions
3x Stasis Snare

/17

Land:

3x Inspiring Vantage
2x Port Town
3x Prairie Stream
2x Evolving Wilds
3x Spirebluff Canal
4x Wandering Fumarole
3x Aether Hub
1x Plains
1x Island
1x Mountain

/23

Sideboard:

4x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4x Negate
3x Galvanic Bombardment
2x Summary Dismissal
2x Lunar Force

/15

Thoughts:

Main deck:
- mana base may need some tinkering, open to suggestions
- unsubstantiate might go to the main to be replaced with burn that can go to the face (maybe)
- maybe cut two cards for finishers? Goodnight castigator was in the original version. Maybe 2x the 4 mana dragon?

Sideboard:
- maybe cut some dank memers for more spells ??????
- lunar force should be cut for literally anything because it's a bad card (but I love it)

Deck is still not great against Aggro. But it's very good against control and marvel and midrange decks.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Angry Grimace posted:

My thought is that MaRo dramatically overhyped it - it's a mediocre format on its basic level and made worse by the number of game-breaking bombs, many of which are ludicriously undercosted for Constructed reasons - if you play limited regularly at all, you WILL get bombed out by a Gearhulk or Skysovereign at some point.

Yeah. The Titans were bad enough to deal with in limited back in M11/M12, and at least there you could Doom Blade 4/5 of them or just slap on Mind Control and laugh your way to the bank (not to mention Primeval Titan was often just a glorified 6/6 trample for 6; still really good, but nothing compared to what the other Titans could do). By the time you can point removal at the Gearhulk, the damage is already done, and usually that damage is much worse than what a single Titan trigger could do (outside of Grave Titan, but Grave Titan was just ridiculous in every conceivable way).

I don't have any opinions on the actual limited format yet, although I am starting to feel that Aerial Responder is so much worse to play against than Vampire Nighthawk ever was.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Mezzanon posted:

Main deck:
- mana base may need some tinkering, open to suggestions
- unsubstantiate might go to the main to be replaced with burn that can go to the face (maybe)
- maybe cut two cards for finishers? Goodnight castigator was in the original version. Maybe 2x the 4 mana dragon?

Sideboard:
- maybe cut some dank memers for more spells ??????
- lunar force should be cut for literally anything because it's a bad card (but I love it)

Deck is still not great against Aggro. But it's very good against control and marvel and midrange decks.

I don't like the Visions or Infiltrators (what's the plan with this?)

I know the love for Avacyn; I think Angel of Invention could be cool in a deck like this though too, especially if you added Copters - the +1/+1 works well with your spirit guys also. :) Plus you get an excuse to add a Westvale Abbey, which is a card I somehow love.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mattah posted:

I don't like the Visions or Infiltrators (what's the plan with this?)

I know the love for Avacyn; I think Angel of Invention could be cool in a deck like this though too, especially if you added Copters - the +1/+1 works well with your spirit guys also. :) Plus you get an excuse to add a Westvale Abbey, which is a card I somehow love.

The deck is based on the previous standard deck I ran: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmin16/blue-red-flyers-with-tamoharu-saito-2016-05-29

Infiltrators are a flash flyer, which is the decks game plan, flash and flying. And they have the intermittent ability to bounce themselves.

Visions is a great card, what's not to like about it? It's especially great in a tempo shell like this one. (Although another flash of wills type card would be great)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Torrential Gearhulk only exiles the card it casts if it goes straight to the graveyard, right? So I could pay the buyback cost on, say, Capsize and get it back? Or flicker the Gearhulk and cast Hanabi Blast over and over again, even with an empty hand?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Zemyla posted:

Torrential Gearhulk only exiles the card it casts if it goes straight to the graveyard, right? So I could pay the buyback cost on, say, Capsize and get it back? Or flicker the Gearhulk and cast Hanabi Blast over and over again, even with an empty hand?

Yeah it has different wording than flashback, which is pretty surprising. Usually they are very thorough about gently caress YOU IT'S GETTING EXILED. I guess Jace has that wording too.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 10, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Watched someone stream this list last night to a 5-0 and 4-1 leagues. Not really sure on the 6 creeping molds in the board, but hey when the deck goes off its just stupid as gently caress.

quote:

4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Attune with Aether
4 Tireless Tracker
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Aetherworks Marvel
4 Vessel of Nascency
4 Gnarlwood Dryad
4 Emrakul, the Promised End
4 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot
4 Aether Hub
16 Forest
4 Sage of Shaila's Claim

Sideboard:
3 Reclaiming Vines
2 From Beyond
2 Deathcap Cultivator
3 Lambholt Pacifist
2 Clip Wings
3 Creeping Mold

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alaan posted:

Yeah it has different wording than flashback, which is pretty surprising. Usually they are very thorough about gently caress YOU IT'S GETTING EXILED. I guess Jace has that wording too.

i think they care less when the standard the card is in doesn't have buyback and things like that

tho jace did exist with Soulfire Grandmaster so maybe it's just not a big concern anymore

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Bugsy posted:

Watched someone stream this list last night to a 5-0 and 4-1 leagues. Not really sure on the 6 creeping molds in the board, but hey when the deck goes off its just stupid as gently caress.

In my UG Marvel deck I added 4 of the 1G fog spell from Kaladesh into the SB, this has saved me many times against the flurry of aggro.

If you can at fog and live at least one more round and it gives you the chance to activate your marvel that's all you need in your favor to turn the game around.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Dammit why is this deck making me think its more than a joke list, it makes me want to run it in regionals! :mad:

(Got a link to the broadcast?)

Speaking of, anyone try out Eric Hawkin's list from the Open? R/B Madness Aggro The smoldering marshes seem so gross if they come into play tapped early, plus I really want to fit Forerunner of Slaughter into it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

A big flaming stink posted:

Dammit why is this deck making me think its more than a joke list, it makes me want to run it in regionals! :mad:

(Got a link to the broadcast?)

Speaking of, anyone try out Eric Hawkin's list from the Open? R/B Madness Aggro The smoldering marshes seem so gross if they come into play tapped early, plus I really want to fit Forerunner of Slaughter into it.

https://www.twitch.tv/ehhhhhhh/v/94022383

Title says legacy but its standard. Not sure how much of the audio is muted.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a link to when a guy was streaming some Legacy games and launched into an amazing Randy Buehler impression, inaccurately commentating on his own MTGO match? I don't remember any more details about it but I can't imagine that's too hard to narrow down

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jenny Angel posted:

Does anyone have a link to when a guy was streaming some Legacy games and launched into an amazing Randy Buehler impression, inaccurately commentating on his own MTGO match? I don't remember any more details about it but I can't imagine that's too hard to narrow down

I'm pretty sure that was Joe Lossett, but don't have the link.

wait nevermind google is great.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmBiKrDtVZE

it's funny but also gently caress joe lossett

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

it's funny but also gently caress joe lossett

I know very little about current pro players / streamers, is he a man of putrid morals or just on the level of "obnoxious"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jenny Angel posted:

I know very little about current pro players / streamers, is he a man of putrid morals or just on the level of "obnoxious"

No. He's pretty normal and I have no idea why anyone would dislike him.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

No. He's pretty normal and I have no idea why anyone would dislike him.

let me think about it

tank tank tank spin top tank tank tank

go

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Joe is extremely "on the level." For someone who unironically listens to Linkin Park.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
even if you want to make the argument that he takes a reasonable amount of time to top (he doesnt) lol at the fact that he took just as long to make plays in tron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

even if you want to make the argument that he takes a reasonable amount of time to top (he doesnt) lol at the fact that he took just as long to make plays in tron.

I can definitely see how joe can rub someone the wrong way. He once talked about on streams how he tried to get a judge to overhear his opponent saying the wrong thing. Joe had forgotten that a creature of his had delirium and he believed his opponent knew it had delirium and let joe calculate damage wrong. After joe figured out his error , corrected life totals , and then talked to his opponent in such a way to bait him into saying the wrong thing with a judge in earshot.

Depending on your view, it can go either way on who is being the jerk or looking to play an angle.

Joe also doesn't mind the draw bracket and plays slow.

• Locked thread