Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The one thing I understood about Trump's health insurance plan was the one about "knocking state borders down" because as an employer it's something he'd be familiar with. Basically he wants to cause yet another regulatory race to the bottom but this time in the health insurance sector. His idea is to force states to respect each other's regulations so that a plan that flies in Delaware must also be accepted in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

the merger of the trump campaign with breitbart is complete

next debate, he will ask her if shes still loving huma

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So.

Let's have some fun.

RCP right now:
2-way: C+4.9. Only T+ poll is LA Times T+3. Take that out and you get C+5.875
4-way: C+4.5. No T+ polls and one tied poll: Gravis.

:kheldragar:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Biggest disappointment was Clinton speaking to a Muslim woman about how we should combat Islamophobia, only in regards to how it will make Muslims helpful in the war on terror. It's a terrible answer.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I think the main reason people are afraid to leak the Apprentice tapes, even anonymously, is that they also have Mark Burnett on them being a creep and/or racist, which is why he is so adamant about not having them released and publicly saying he will sue into the ground anyone who does release it.

That being said, if I had access to the tapes, I'd release the gently caress out of them. Can't land in jail for it, and I'd take the 5 mil and move to Senegal, change my name, and open a straw hat hut on the beach.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Antti posted:

The one thing I understood about Trump's health insurance plan was the one about "knocking state borders down" because as an employer it's something he'd be familiar with. Basically he wants to cause yet another regulatory race to the bottom but this time in the health insurance sector. His idea is to force states to respect each other's regulations so that a plan that flies in Delaware must also be accepted in California.

oh he doesn't even know what that means -- its bog standard Republican talking point -- but yes this is what it would do

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

lozzle posted:

He's a wealthy white man. There was never any chance he was going to go to prison for financial crimes.

Poor Wesley Snipes.

Wesley Snipes tweeting about that exact hypocrisy last night was almost as good as Carrie Fischer accusing Trump of having a coke habit.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
can someone tell me more about how lovely wikileaks is?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Charlz Guybon posted:

He threatened to hang his Vice President for treason, and if he had it would have been up there with his defense of New Orleans as the greatest thing he ever did.

John C. Calhoun was literally a vampire.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

The general feeling I have is that Trump wasn't terrible for his own standards, but Hillary didn't make any gaffes that will get any traction in the media. Could she have landed a knockout blow? Maybe, but remember there is still one more debate and plenty of time for more dirt to come out about Trump.

The next debate is going to be Trump and the moderator tag-teaming Hillary and doing whatever they can to bury her before her 90 minutes are up. It's Trump's friendliest environment yet and I'm sure Conway et al will be doping him to the gills and coaching him as much as they're able to keep him from loving it up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I don't like the "You go low, we go high" messaging. She needed to tell him what a piece of poo poo sexual predator he is. She needed to be as outraged as the rest of us are.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Biggest disappointment was Clinton speaking to a Muslim woman about how we should combat Islamophobia, only in regards to how it will make Muslims helpful in the war on terror. It's a terrible answer.

I didn't think that was the bulk of her response at all -- the bulk of it was "Muslims are good americans and we're not at war with Islam"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why is it bad if Insurance comopanies are restricted to one state? I still don't understand that whole process wouldn't it be better to have national insurance?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

So really you got Trump and Clinton confused?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I don't like the "You go low, we go high" messaging. She needed to tell him what a piece of poo poo sexual predator he is.

I am sure it would be more satisfying to the left and her personally, but I can tell you which is a better strategy to maximize your win and it ain't this one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's hilarious Trump tried to turn the debate into an episode of Jerry Springer, who is another celebrity more fit for the Ocal Office than Trump. Actually that would be a fun game - name a celebrity who'd make a better POTUS candidate than the one the GOP nominated.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Good, I'm glad that CNN is taking this seriously. The general tone I'm hearing/reading from much of the media right now seems to be "gosh, wasn't that a crazy debate? Ken Bone lol" which doesn't really capture just how absolutely hosed up it is to call for the imprisonment of your political opponent.
From CNN post debate round up:

quote:

Garry Kasparov ✔ @Kasparov63
Trump's "President Day 1" checklist:
1 Jail opponent.
2 Media crackdown.
3 Support Assad.
Coincidentally, that was also Putin's checklist.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am sure it would be more satisfying to the left and her personally, but I can tell you which is a better strategy to maximize your win and it ain't this one.

I think what she did was the coasting strategy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bencreateddisco posted:

They did a release of Hillary Clinton information literally one hour after the Donald Trump Pussy video was released in order to distract people from it.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

bencreateddisco posted:

They are essentially a Russian propaganda outfit at this point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

lozzle posted:

Yeah but Trump will have a major scandal and his support in the LA Times poll will actually go up while literally every other poll shows cratering support. It makes no earthly sense.

My guess is that it comes down to recalled vote weighting. The responses to the LA Times poll are weighted so that what people say they voted in 2012 is adjusted to match the real 2012 vote share. But with the republicans on the ropes, respondents are more likely to misrecall how they voted in 2012.

So for example, if a bunch of Trumpers start disowning the republicans, once LAT applies its adjustment suddenly it seems like a bunch of 'independents' are now supporting Trump.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Why is it bad if Insurance comopanies are restricted to one state? I still don't understand that whole process wouldn't it be better to have national insurance?

Because what happens is they find the state with the lowest standards (and there will be a race to this) and thats where every plan will be based out of. Just like why all your credit card companies are based out of South Dakota or Delaware.

mcmagic posted:

I think what she did was the coasting strategy.

Without opening up round 556 of andichu vs mcmagic, I think you've displayed a pretty big inability to grasp how to win national elections and Hillary could literally garrote him on stage and you'd find something to complain about.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Hollismason posted:

right wingers want the "lines gone" so insurance companies can flee to the state with the least regulation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

bencreateddisco posted:

The short version is:

Julian Assange is very pro-Putin and receives support from Russia. He is very opposed to U.S. imperialism and intervention in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. His leaks are primarily designed with that in mind. Lots of people who were against Iraq cheered when they released documents that tainted people on Iraq.

They haven't had too many successes lately and they have become kind of unhinged. They got caught mixing in fake documents with their real leaks and didn't redact any information from their leaks, so they leaked the names of gay activists and anti-government leaders in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Afghanistan, and Iran. Probably endangering their lives.

They have also adopted a lot of the weird conspiracy theories and anti-Semitism that is popular on Russian nationalist media.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

I don't like the "You go low, we go high" messaging. She needed to tell him what a piece of poo poo sexual predator he is. She needed to be as outraged as the rest of us are.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

right wingers want the "lines gone" so insurance companies can flee to the state with the least regulation.

Thanks for that explanation. I was trying to figure what this whole thing was about.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Because what happens is they find the state with the lowest standards (and there will be a race to this) and thats where every plan will be based out of. Just like why all your credit card companies are based out of South Dakota or Delaware.

Funny how states' rights are hurriedly stuffed back in the closet whenever things like business regulation or marijuana come up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

This will stick in people's minds a lot more than the debate. Sure some people will be like YEAH LOCK THE BITCH UP but I think a whole hell of a lot more will be very uncomfortable with the implications of what Trump said.

One of my supervisors is a total gun nut, hordes silver, every other weird right wing thing possible, and even he was uncomfortable with that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Antti posted:

Funny how states' rights are hurriedly stuffed back in the closet whenever things like business regulation or marijuana come up.

It's almost like they don't care.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's hilarious Trump tried to turn the debate into an episode of Jerry Springer, who is another celebrity more fit for the Ocal Office than Trump. Actually that would be a fun game - name a celebrity who'd make a better POTUS candidate than the one the GOP nominated.

Gary Busey?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ah, here it is:

quote:

Trump: You were still in contact with the White House. And perhaps sadly, Obama probably still listened to you. I don't think he would listen to you very much anymore. Obama draws the line in the sand. It was laughed at all over the world what happened. Now, with that being said, she talks tough against Russia, but our nuclear program has fallen way behind and they have gone wild with their nuclear program. Not good. Our government shouldn’t have allowed that to happen. Russia is new in terms of nuclear and we are old and tired and exhausted in terms of nuclear. A very bad thing.

Now, she talks tough. She talks really tough against Putin and against Assad. She talks in favor of the rebels. She doesn't even know who the rebels are. You know, every time we take rebels whether it's in Iraq or anywhere else, we’re arming people. And you know what happens? They end up being worse than the people. Look at what she did in Libya with Qaddafi. Qaddafi is out. It's a mess. And by the way, ISIS has a good chunk of their oil. I'm sure you’ve probably have heard that. It was a disaster. The fact is almost everything she has done has been a mistake and it’s been a disaster. But if you look at Russia, just take a look at Russia and look at what they did this week, and I agree she wasn't there, but possibly she’s consulted. 

We sign a peace treaty and everyone’s all excited, but what Russia did with Assad and by the way with Iran who you made very powerful with the dumbest deal perhaps I have seen in the history of making, with the $150 billion and with the $1.7 billion in cash, which is enough cash to fill up this room, but look at that deal. Iran and Russia are against us. So she wants to fight. She wants to fight for rebels. There’s one problem. You don’t even know who the rebels are. So what’s the purpose?
Just look at that answer. Try to parse it. I think my favorite part has to be "Every time we take rebels whether it's in Iraq or anywhere else, we’re arming people. And you know what happens? They end up being worse than the people."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

lozzle posted:

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

That is a catchy line but I think she let him stand up there and look too much like a "normal" republican for most of the debate.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Shorter list is those that would be a worse fit.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

fknlo posted:

One of my supervisors is a total gun nut, hordes silver, every other weird right wing thing possible, and even he was uncomfortable with that.

Exactly. This is the exact type of thing that gun nuts claim to be arming themselves for. If Trump will jail his political opponents, destroy media with dissenting opinions, what happens to you or me when we disagree with his policies?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Regulations for what that doesn't make sense to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hollismason posted:

It's not better or worse inherently. The problem is that if you allow purchase across state lines, then whatever the federal minimum rules and coverage are effectively become the minimum for everyone. Because at least one state is going to allow lovely policies or try to create favorable pricing schemes to attract insurers. Then every insurer moves to that state, like Credit Card companies and banks did with Delaware.

If you have strong federal minimums, then allowing purchase across state lines can theoretically reduce costs.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Thanks for that explanation. I was trying to figure what this whole thing was about.

binow's example of credit card companies all having their ""headquarters"" (disused single room office) located in South Dakota is a good one

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Just look at that answer. Try to parse it.

Help, I smell burnt toast.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fknlo posted:

Yeah, and it's getting the most headlines. This was supposed to be a chance for Trump to survive. He absolutely needed to have a narrative shaking debate.

And he failed. He lost the narrative again and it's now about his calls to jail a political opponent if elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

The general feeling I have is that Trump wasn't terrible for his own standards, but Hillary didn't make any gaffes that will get any traction in the media. Could she have landed a knockout blow? Maybe, but remember there is still one more debate and plenty of time for more dirt to come out about Trump.

The next debate is going to be Trump and the moderator tag-teaming Hillary and doing whatever they can to bury her before her 90 minutes are up. It's Trump's friendliest environment yet and I'm sure Conway et al will be doping him to the gills and coaching him as much as they're able to keep him from loving it up.

• Locked thread