Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
useful autocompletion falls into two categories: statically-typed, (possibly-)compiler-supported, context-sensitive fact lookup about the codebase, and completely generic token-based completion that makes no attempt at context-sensitive information whatsoever, merely showing you the names of tokens that exist in the codebase. Anything in between (see: any attempt at intelligent static analysis of Javascript) is effectively useless if not harmful. if the auto-complete list shows Foo and Bar but not Baz, then Foo and Bar drat well better be valid in that context, and Baz better not be, and to be really useful, no other tokens better be valid there either. otherwise it's just telling you bullshit and your cognitive load goes way up trying to figure out just which information is erroneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this kind of gigantic surface-area is a bit of a java'ism anyway (a million tiny and arbitrarily delineated abstraction units tossed in a pile without thought), ideally you'll have codebases which do not require an encyclopedic knowledge of the breadth of the system

this is dumb.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
good auto complete is insanely good, regardless of whether stupid idiots use it to grub around their garbage code bases. the argument that "well, I just write code good enough to not need autocomplete :smugmrgw:" is asinine and made by jealous plangers. meanwhile the rest of us don't need to wait till runtime to figure out we called the wrong method or got the arguments out of order or switch to the stdlib docs just because we forgot the exact name of the method that foozles bars or whatever because we use it once every two years.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

leftist heap posted:

good auto complete is insanely good, regardless of whether stupid idiots use it to grub around their garbage code bases. the argument that "well, I just write code good enough to not need autocomplete :smugmrgw:" is asinine and made by jealous plangers. meanwhile the rest of us don't need to wait till runtime to figure out we called the wrong method or got the arguments out of order or switch to the stdlib docs just because we forgot the exact name of the method that foozles bars or whatever because we use it once every two years.

I've found error highlighting way more useful generally than autocomplete/docs, but it's pretty close.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you are very much reading a lot of backwards value judgements into that: java-style java is the way it is for good reasons, it finally brought about a situation where programmers are a at least somewhat fungible resource, in that as long as you keep up the tiny abstraction style and have the right tooling you can replace most programmers with other similar ones

bringing the tooling to other platforms does not solve the entirety of the problem, one also needs the approach and pretty delineated style. i do in fact don't believe that much in the value of the tooling on other platforms, in like c you certainly tend to need to understand the context you are in more deeply than just auto-completing something vaguely remembered

all in all not very romantic, but it is what at least enterprise software needed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
java is good in large part because special snowflakes fresh out of college think it's boring.

yep. totally. java sucks, it's an awful language for bad programmers doing stuffy boring jobs. please don't come here. bye.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean yeah, they're right. java is boring.

this is a good thing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
to be fair, Java does suck rear end

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
there are much better boring languages than Java.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i thought Java was really bad when I was learning it in school because i was never told about those fancy "IDE" things and was doing all my programming in notepad like a animal
then when i tried using Eclipse i didn't like it and doubled down on the loljava

but then i tried NetBeans and it was fine and that is what I use for Java now. also i dont Java anymore.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i wonder if in carpentry school they teach you to use a hand saw for everything and then when you finally get your first job you're handed a circular saw and you have no idea how to use it.

:iiaca:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
comp sci should not be carpentry school, it's supposed to be saw design school

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

hackbunny posted:

comp sci should not be carpentry school, it's supposed to be saw design school

imo it should be a study of 'what kind of things can we build using saws?'

but this analogy sucks!!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Ploft-shell crab posted:

but this analogy sucks!!

i know lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

i mean yeah, they're right. java is boring.

this is a good thing.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
imagine if people treated all languages the way they treat programming languages

i'm bored with english, i'm gonna write all my work emails in klingon because it's way more expressive

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

you are very much reading a lot of backwards value judgements into that: java-style java is the way it is for good reasons, it finally brought about a situation where programmers are a at least somewhat fungible resource, in that as long as you keep up the tiny abstraction style and have the right tooling you can replace most programmers with other similar ones

bringing the tooling to other platforms does not solve the entirety of the problem, one also needs the approach and pretty delineated style. i do in fact don't believe that much in the value of the tooling on other platforms, in like c you certainly tend to need to understand the context you are in more deeply than just auto-completing something vaguely remembered

all in all not very romantic, but it is what at least enterprise software needed

well then i'm not really sure what your point is?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Asymmetrikon posted:

there are much better boring languages than Java.

probably. nobody uses them tho.

java has its flaws. if i had a time machine i'd go back in time and make james gosling fix them. but i don't.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

i think c# is pretty commonly used.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sapozhnik posted:

java has its flaws. if i had a time machine i'd go back in time and make james gosling fix them. but i don't.

i would just show my teenage self a 200 GB microSD card.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

leftist heap posted:

well then i'm not really sure what your point is?

that the tools (autocomplete and friends) are mostly essential for java due to the very specific style in which java is written, the second one was just to clarify that this is not a bad thing as such

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Soricidus posted:

imagine if people treated all languages the way they treat programming languages

i'm bored with english, i'm gonna write all my work emails in klingon because it's way more expressive

when i get drunk i speak another language (native language where i live now vs english (my native language)) and its pretty fun doing this hth

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

when i get drunk i speak another language (native language where i live now vs english (my native language)) and its pretty fun doing this hth

grats, that sounds cool and good

the pl attitude I'm criticising is more analogous to "english sucks, I'm going to rewrite all our contracts in lojban so they'll be unambiguous and we won't need lawyers"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Soricidus posted:

grats, that sounds cool and good

the pl attitude I'm criticising is more analogous to "english sucks, I'm going to rewrite all our contracts in lojban so they'll be unambiguous and we won't need lawyers"

reminder that "we'll just write all our contracts as code embedded in the blockchain and then we won't need lawyers" is something people actually tried

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

are trying you mean

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

that the tools (autocomplete and friends) are mostly essential for java due to the very specific style in which java is written, the second one was just to clarify that this is not a bad thing as such

imo there's more to it than that. the degree to which java inherently needs tooling is generally overstated. its insane popularity and the amount of money being poured into it drove the tooling, but that popularity was certainly driven by its ability to make idiot programmers more productive (or more accurately less outright destructive). maybe i'm just splitting hairs now tho

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

leftist heap posted:

imo there's more to it than that. the degree to which java inherently needs tooling is generally overstated. its insane popularity and the amount of money being poured into it drove the tooling, but that popularity was certainly driven by its ability to make idiot programmers more productive (or more accurately less outright destructive). maybe i'm just splitting hairs now tho

Sadly, that just means even more idiotic programmers will find work.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Xarn posted:

we all gotta eat

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
like, if you follow that line of reasoning we should make languages harder to use and the tooling worse?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

leftist heap posted:

like, if you follow that line of reasoning we should make languages harder to use and the tooling worse?

yeah, it's totally possible at this juncture to remove the ability for normal folks to control their machines and return that birthright to us and our kin alone

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
a girl can dream

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Xarn posted:

java limits the amount of damage bad programmers by forcing certain behaviors and also making certain patterns easy to spot. it doesn't prevent bad programmers, but it lets you control them much better than if you had them on a p-lang.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sapozhnik posted:

java is good in large part because special snowflakes fresh out of college think it's boring.

yep. totally. java sucks, it's an awful language for bad programmers doing stuffy boring jobs. please don't come here. bye.

C# is honestly the best compromise of productivity and dullness

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# needs maven so bad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
c# is only just gaining a credible port to Linux. Maybe in five years when it has a credible track record I'll consider it. As I keep saying, I really wish Java had async/await, but the stupefying badness of the java.util.concurrent.Future interface makes this rather difficult.

java 8 + guava + guice + autovalue = extremely good (and maven of course, but you already knew that)

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

C# also needs a better SQL mapper.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

leftist heap posted:

the converse is more key: java and the standard approach to java is such that auto-completing your way to code tends to work out well: you will seldom find yourself getting something vastly different than what you expect calling some method you find by auto-complete

we do rather need to not consider the somewhat blunt approach to software "idiot" territory either, apartment buildings are not built by cabinet makers. the few old english houses more or less were built that way and may be fantastic pieces of art, but they are often not that nice to live in, and it would be a hopeless way to actually get people usable housing on any kind of scale

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Xarn posted:

christ what an rear end in a top hat

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i encounter this the most from the wrong end of the dunning kruger curve

i mean i'm still an elitist jerk but I try to reign it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost