Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

sounds like you should put the seats from the van in the back of the truck for your ridealong mechanic and gunner.

I figure he'd be happier just riding your bus engine that's back there. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No go on the bus engine, it turns out that a Cummins 6C8.3-275G is a natgas powered engine not a diesel :sigh:

Still makes 275 horsepower and a whole lot of torque but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend several thousand on a motor, then try to ship it cross country with you fine gentlemen, only to have to rip out my entire fuel system and convert to a natural gas setup. Would make a nice stationary generator set if someone wanted to strap an 1800rpm generator head to it and hook it up to their natural gas supply line, though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, good news, and bad news.

Bad news is that I managed to melt a pretty chunk of skin off my foot my spilling what basically amounts to acid all over them. But, thanks to that, I got some time off work to finally go to the DMV and get the van all registered and plated! :toot:

So I was able to actually take it on a drive today! Its not fun to drive!
But after stomping on it for a bit it seems to run pretty well. Filled it up with some fresh gas and ran some injector cleaner through it.. Got it up to about 70 MPH, and it seems to handle itself pretty well.
Idle is a bit rough, but that seems to be the biggest issue.

kastein posted:

No go on the bus engine, it turns out that a Cummins 6C8.3-275G is a natgas powered engine not a diesel :sigh:

Still makes 275 horsepower and a whole lot of torque but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend several thousand on a motor, then try to ship it cross country with you fine gentlemen, only to have to rip out my entire fuel system and convert to a natural gas setup. Would make a nice stationary generator set if someone wanted to strap an 1800rpm generator head to it and hook it up to their natural gas supply line, though.

Well that's unfortunate. But if you do happen to find one you like in the midwest, the offer to transport it is still open.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Did you suck the sea foam through the intake and let it clean up the top end? I highly recommend that you do that if not, then drive like 50 miles and change the oil.

Second, as someone who just converted a carburetor to GM TBI, keep what you have because its simple. If you're feeling saucy you can replace and program your own chips for under $150. You can cut the useless wires out too if you're going to a manual tranny, like the Neutral Safety Switch and the Vehicle Speed sensor isn't required.

I forget if you're keeping the motor for long, but do what you want while driving it that you need it operable for, sea foaming and compression testing, and get it out and into your workspace asap. Then you can knock out some easy stuff while it's in the stand or pallet or whatever.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

PROGRESS! So last week, while recovering from melting a good chunk of skin off my feet, I took the van off to a mechanic I've used in the past to give a through lookover and tell me pretty everything that was wrong with it. They basically told me what I had guessed already. A tune up, new water pump, and they said it needed a whole new distributor assembly, which I....don't really see the need for. They also quoted me a $700 for everything, which gave me a hearty Dr. Hibbert chuckle.

So today, me and my buddy did some actual work on the van. Not quite as much as I was hoping to get done, but enough to make it run about 10x better than it was.
Unfortunately, our other friend who has a dedicated car repair shed fell though on us, so we were forced to work in the storage yard, but we got all new plugs, wires a new distributor cap and rotor in the thing.

In case anyone wasn't familiar with what the engine looks like:

And from the inside:

Old spark plugs were....less than ideal...

The rotor and cap however, were pretty arced up. But, some new parts and it runs fantastically. It was much easier to do the plugs than I thought it was gonna be, we really only had trouble getting the two in the front of the engine out. But I guess it's pretty easy when you have access to pretty much the entire engine from the back. :v: Also changed the oil today, and totally forgot to get pics, but the oil that came out was terrible. Very thick, black and kinda chunky.
But it's got fresh oil in it now, and seems to have made a big difference. Runs and idles much better, and now it only seems to stall when it goes into reverse and you hit the gas.

After all that, took it out for a spin. The water pump still screams, but that will be getting replaced + a new belt next weekend, so it's not a huge issue. Actually got it up to speeds of about 55. It accelerates much better now and overall feels a lot more pleasant to drive. Now I just gotta fix the the blower door issue so I have A/C in the front and it'll be pretty nice drivin'

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, today I finally had time and the place to actually tear into the engine on the van. On of my friends erected an awesome shed in his backyard just for wrenching, and he was nice enough to let us use it today.
Today's project was replacing the water pump, which is easy enough, and since I was pulling that, I decided to pull the radiator out and take a look at that as well. And what I found was terrible:

I that was just what came out the first time. Pretty much everything I flushed had brown water coming out of it. Several gallons of water later I got it all cleared up though.
Then I blasted the fins out, and found that those were all plugged up as well. I'm actually pretty surprised this thing was running without any overheating issues as it was.

So then came the fun part, taking the pump out. And it actually was incredibly easy, four non-rusty bolts and it was out! And it looks awful!

So here's the only real issue we had while doing this. Those studs on the pump didn't come out. But, luckily, we were able to run up to Ace and find an exact match. The had the right studs an everything.
Got back, popped those in, and popped a new belt on. Oh yeah, that was the other thing we found, I bought a new belt, I knew the old one was gonna be bad, but it was worse than I thought. It was actually starting to split apart in a few places. (Also, WTF, the belt and the water pump both cost $30, how does that work?)

But whatever, we got everything back on, refilled the system with fresh coolant, and fired it up. Still has a little bit of a squeal coming from somewhere, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was. Runs so much better, and now when it gets going the temp gauge barely moves at all. I even got it all the way up to 60 MPH today, which when I bought it were but the fevered dreams of a madman.

Then me and my buddy realized we'd been working for about 4 hours and both of us hadn't eaten all day, so he showed me a pretty good new burger place over in Ocoee:

:yum:

And with that, it seems like most of the van's major issues are resolved. Still need to find where that last squeal is coming from, and I need to take a look at the AC system. It blows ok, but in the front half it's stuck on defrost, so I guess I've got a stuck door somewhere in there. Probably wouldn't hurt to look at the charge either.

Although I've got to say, I've driven a car without AC in the summer in Florida before, and even with the windows down, it was miserable, but in this thing, with the vent windows, it's pretty alright. Not a perfect substitute for proper AC, but must better than just a regular window.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

And I almost forgot, djdanno sent me some more pics of the truck. It looks really nice in the snow.

[timg] [url]http://i.imgur.com/5DRqXYn.[/url] [timg]

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 10, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you still gonna get out there this year, now that the weather has turned?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I work in freezers for a living so I don't mind working in the cold. :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lock and loving load, you candy rear end sons of bitches. Honda is getting both axles replaced and some carb tuning and brakes no matter how hard it rains.

Yall wanna sit back warm and dry when the time has come to live for loving eternity as legend?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
WITH A GATHERING STORM
COMES A TALL HANDSOME MAN
WITH A RUSTY TROMBONE
IN INCH'S RED RIGHT HAND

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Working on rusty poo poo in the snow if giving me bad flashbacks.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
"I'm in a hospital, what could go wrong?" :911:

I've already arranged for time off so don't blue ball be now

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Elephanthead posted:

Working on rusty poo poo in the snow if giving me bad flashbacks.

Wrenching in the snow is an important part of playing in the snow.

Just imagine, the unholy cries of an engine clearly too small for the man behind the wheel breaks the silent clear winter morning in a Walmart parking lot in Bumfuck, Nowhere. A large cloud of fresh snow being disturbed by something large appears. Like some kind of demon, breathed in rusty steel, the old dump truck materializes from the cloud.

Suddenly, the engine's screams are almost down out by the sounds of the suspension and frame flexing, as the dark figure driving the beastly vehicle slams it into a sideways skid, cutting a doughnut through the otherwise-empty lot.

Finally, the vehicle comes to a stop. Several light poles have been cut down like wheat during harvest in its circular path of destruction and the entrance to the store is buried under a mix of asphault and snow.

There's still another half of parking lot left, the engine starts screaming again.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 11, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ExplodingSims posted:

Then me and my buddy realized we'd been working for about 4 hours and both of us hadn't eaten all day, so he showed me a pretty good new burger place over in Ocoee:

:yum:

I think I can smell those fries through the internet... :btroll:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dude at O'Reilly said hey you grabbed the full strength do you want me to go grab the premix and I said sir I intend on taking my 1975 Civic into some loving weather.

E:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Wrenching in the snow is and important part of playing in the snow.

Just imagine, the unholy cries of an engine clearly too small for the man behind the wheel breaks the silent clear winter morning in a Walmart parking lot in Bumfuck, Nowhere.

:Onward, Into the breach! :black101:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 11, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like how through the inexorable march of time this has gone from a bad idea in the mud to a bad idea in the snow.

Shine on you long wheelbase bastards.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've never seen a jug of premixed coolant at an autoparts store. Is that an American thing, or a "We don't get chilly weather" thing?

I mix to -40C and worry that it's not enough some winters, thusly, I always top up with the rest of the jug.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's an American capitalist thing. Fill the jug with half water and charge the same price, I've found it it hard to get non premixed at times.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If I went to my local Napa and asked for premixed coolant they'd probably stare at me like I was nuts and then tell me to use a garden hose and a bucket like a normal person.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fermented Tinal posted:

I've never seen a jug of premixed coolant at an autoparts store. Is that an American thing, or a "We don't get chilly weather" thing?

I mix to -40C and worry that it's not enough some winters, thusly, I always top up with the rest of the jug.

If your car is low on coolant just outside of the store, what do you do?
Pre-mix is for topping off, not filling.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

If I went to my local Napa and asked for premixed coolant they'd probably stare at me like I was nuts and then tell me to use a garden hose and a bucket like a normal person.

A garden hose? That's loving criminal, man; distilled is only like $0.99/gallon and then you don't get lovely mineral deposits inside your cooling system.

My Studebaker was turbo-hosed with 40+ years of garden hose water; luckily vinegar is also like $0.99/gallon and solves the problem pretty well.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Depends on the quality of your local water supply. Some places the water is perfectly fine for coolant use. There's a few papers floating around with standards and such. I know that here in Calgary in the winter and late summer, our tapwater is well within most of the acceptable limits (spring we spike because we're right under the mountains and the runoff is full of minerals).

Not that it matters to me, I'm lazy and use premix.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

wikipedia posted:

and with a small 86.6-inch (2,200 mm) wheelbase and 139.8-inch (3,550 mm) overall length, the vehicle weighed 1,500 pounds (680 kg).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Depends on the quality of your local water supply. Some places the water is perfectly fine for coolant use. There's a few papers floating around with standards and such. I know that here in Calgary in the winter and late summer, our tapwater is well within most of the acceptable limits (spring we spike because we're right under the mountains and the runoff is full of minerals).

Not that it matters to me, I'm lazy and use premix.

Yeah, we can't pull that poo poo here, our water's got so much lime in it that I used to have a job driving a loving bulldozer on the the six story high pile of it the waterworks had built up from filtering it out.

Selling it by the semi load for fertilizer was barely making a dent.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How much weight reduction have you achieved via rust?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like how through the inexorable march of time this has gone from a bad idea in the mud to a bad idea in the snow.

It's going to be qualitatively indistinguishable from Stalingrad.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fourteen Inch Morale Officer?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

A garden hose? That's loving criminal, man; distilled is only like $0.99/gallon and then you don't get lovely mineral deposits inside your cooling system.

My Studebaker was turbo-hosed with 40+ years of garden hose water; luckily vinegar is also like $0.99/gallon and solves the problem pretty well.

The water here isn't hard. It does have a lot of chlorine and flouride in it though. At the farm I'd just use well water, but that water was as close to pure as well water gets.

Where I work on my vehicles though, there's a RO system and when I finally go to flush and refill the cruiser I'll be using that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

Fourteen Inch Morale Officer?

In 2016, a crack commando unit was sent to kitty jail by a moderator for a post they didn't submit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security paywall to the Nebraska underground. Today, still wanted by the administration, they survive as mechanics of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The Truck-Team.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

14 BAR RIFF posted:

In 2016, a crack commando unit was sent to kitty jail by a moderator for a post they didn't submit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security paywall to the Nebraska underground. Today, still wanted by the administration, they survive as mechanics of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The Truck-Team.

BAH BA-DAH DAAAAH bum bum bummmmm

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gets locked in a shed with the BadDecisions Truck and a welder and a bunch of steel and the old van and all the tools and parts they need for a motor swap and they magically escape just in time to save the day.. and get the truck back home.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking that the van needs a paint job before you hit the road...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rattle can primer plz

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Full top to bottom ultra duty thermals socks and gloves purchased.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How many pairs of socks, because lets be honest you're going to lose a few doze while there.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

In a pinch, a swarm of spiders on your feet make a decent substitute for socks.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The only problem is finding the spiders once snow has fallen. You may want to bring a jar full with you, just in case

And some crickets so the spiders don't eat each other

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
The truck will provide spiders, he needs to pack light! which makes me wonder, was there a flashlight inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Slick posted:

The truck will provide spiders, he needs to pack light! which makes me wonder, was there a flashlight inventory?

• Locked thread