Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Craptacular! posted:

I just can't go this far to vote for Clintons again. I'll stick to spoiling my ballot or whatever but I feel like corporate friendly, think of the children 1990s style Democrats are coming back. Like the next thing I know Joe Lieberman will be running for Senate again.

And "starve the beast" Republicans that deliberately run up massive deficits to provoke a government collapse are terrible.

I am voting for Iron Abuela.

Yeah, I can totally understand not wanting to vote for that sort of politician, which Clinton really is. Unfortunately, any serious politician in the US will be corporate friendly. A politician who fights against the big money will be crushed in the election as funds flood their opponents coffers. Something like this happened to Hillary when she headed the panel to create single payer health care when she was first lady (Hillarycare from 1993). Republicans blocked it, and Democrats fractured on it. The bill died within a year. Hillary tried to shoot for the liberal dream of universal health care, and she was crushed for it. I think Hillary really wants to do good and help people, but she recognizes that American politics must be corporate friendly.

The Democratic platform is as liberal as it can possibly be in the US. The only way it could be more liberal is if the US populace itself becomes more liberal and not be a bunch of idiots that fall for attacks by corporate interests (paid pundits, news articles, attack adds, whatever).

edit: Sorry, I don't really remember posters in DnD well. Disregard everything I wrote above, you are just dumb.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

fits my needs posted:

I don't think cops would kill a black for registering people to vote.

... I kind of do

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Ciaphas posted:

They just seem utterly convinced that no matter how utterly vile Trump is as a person, that Hillary's various actions throughout her career and this election cycle equate to 'criminal' whereas Trump's evaluate to 'savvy businessman who knows which wheels to grease, if a bit crude' (or, for the nonvoters, they're both scum and to hell with the whole loving thing)

I really want to tell them that by either not voting or by voting for Trump they're okay with someone who is effectively a KKK leader, but I just don't have the stones for argument, and further familial ostracism would probably literally kill me outright from depression

So instead I'm just frustrated and angry :(

Check your inbox.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

They just seem utterly convinced that no matter how utterly vile Trump is as a person, that Hillary's various actions throughout her career and this election cycle equate to 'criminal' whereas Trump's evaluate to 'savvy businessman who knows which wheels to grease, if a bit crude' (or, for the nonvoters, they're both scum and to hell with the whole loving thing)

I really want to tell them that by either not voting or by voting for Trump they're okay with someone who is effectively a KKK leader, but I just don't have the stones for argument, and further familial ostracism would probably literally kill me outright from depression

So instead I'm just frustrated and angry :(

I hate my stupid hick family and will swear like a sailor at my grandma if I find out any of them voted for Trump. Hopefully she will have a heart attack at the thought. But by then it will be too late.

Politics always comes up.

Thanksgiving is going to be awesome this year.

If they uninvite me from future Thanksgivings it will be even better.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

BlueBlazer posted:

I hate my stupid hick family and will swear like a sailor at my grandma if I find out any of them voted for Trump.

Ostracize lovely family. Embrace Friendsgiving.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

BlueBlazer posted:

I hate my stupid hick family and will swear like a sailor at my grandma if I find out any of them voted for Trump.

Thanksgiving for most people reminds us all that we try to see our relatives only once a year and why it's only once a year.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

tell them some guy on the SA forums says they're all bitchmade idiotfuckers.

Not me, some other guy.

me

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

rscott posted:

From what I remember of the Weimar Republic, Hitler wasn't voted for directly, he achieved the executive through a coalition between the Nazis and the conservative party so the analogy doesn't quite hold up

He was appointed chancellor by a group of conservative elites with the expectation that they would be able to control him in a position they'd appointed him to.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BlueBlazer posted:

"I came here to see you, not talk politics."
I tried this recently and it failed miserably. Seriously, how do you open a prayer with talking about how much you hate muslims?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My family are all in the tank for Abuela. Except my Libertarian brother who's Johnson and the other brother who moved to the south and tried to become a redneck, who's abstaining because he still loving hates Trump and recognizes the guy would hurt his family. :unsmith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Night10194 posted:

moved to the south and tried to become a redneck
... why?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

RZA Encryption posted:

I tried this recently and it failed miserably. Seriously, how do you open a prayer with talking about how much you hate muslims?

"You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

... why?

To grab him some of that trailer park pussy.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Ostracize lovely family. Embrace Friendsgiving.

Oh I have,

This is first time in a few years I've gone.

I have a few members who know how I feel

I'm not taking the racist poo poo anymore.

It's going to be good.

I hope we have a "Goon's Guide to Ruining Thanksgiving" on the front page.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Endorph posted:

... why?

I have no clue.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
My parents have been lifelong Republicans as long as I can remember, but I talked to my dad earlier and he said that he doesn't like either candidate. So... progress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad that while my family leans moderately conservative, the worst ive ever heard at thanksgiving is a mildly offcolor joke about mexicans (That was honestly pretty sympathetic to them, my dad just decided to do a speedy gonzales impression for some reason)

and also my dad is voting johnson, my sister is voting hillary (because she's a freaking biochemist) and nobody else is bothering to vote at all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ciaphas posted:

It seems all but one of my immediate family--white middle/lower-middle class, but mostly women--are still either voting for Trump or abstaining in disgust entirely

It just... kind of hurts at this point :smith:
Everyone in my town seems to want to vote for Trump other than my family and my grandma who thinks Hillary is wonderful :unsmith:; living in the suburbs of Pittsburgh sucks sometimes though :smith:

Also people at work hate what Trump says, but understand why he would say it because we've all been in blue collar situations and its only bad because we hold the president to a different standard :fuckoff:

I've worked in a water authority and sure I've heard a bunch of racist/sexist jokes, but it doesn't make it right.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 11, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

achillesforever6 posted:

Also people at work hate what Trump says, but understand why he would say it because we've all been in blue collar situations and its only bad because we hold the president to a different standard :fuckoff:

I've worked in a water authority and sure I've heard a bunch of racist/sexist jokes, but it doesn't make it right.

Honestly, this is a good opportunity for male feminists to make a pushback against the implicit social pressures to dehumanize and objectify women in private social situations amongst other men

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

My parents have been lifelong Republicans as long as I can remember, but I talked to my dad earlier and he said that he doesn't like either candidate. So... progress.
At this point I think a non-vote from former Trump supporters is okay. I mean, it's gotta be pretty shocking when someone starts actually saying what conservatism in America means directly. There will be an adjustment period.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BlueBlazer posted:

Oh I have,

This is first time in a few years I've gone.

I have a few members who know how I feel

I'm not taking the racist poo poo anymore.

It's going to be good.

I hope we have a "Goon's Guide to Ruining Thanksgiving" on the front page.

do what I did, cut your family out of your life because your mom is a horrible unrepentant rear end in a top hat with borderline personality disorder and everyone enables her*

(* only applies if your mom does, in fact, have borderline personality disorder)

Magic-Doogies
Mar 5, 2016

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

IMO Ken Bone can go gently caress himself. "Sure I disagree with what's happening to the Jews but I can't afford to lose my job working the railroads at Treblinka. In a way I'm the real victim here."

While we can say that comes off as selfish and uncaring this is a problem that immediately affects him in a big way.
It's like poking fun at coal workers for bringing up the very real concerns that when we eventually move away from coal as a major power source a lot of coal towns are going to become poor destitute ghost towns where the population is too uneducated to go into any other fields and they become poverty spots or become wage slaves to nature tourism companies with no real prospects of a better life.

I live like an hour or so away from the Shenandoah National Park and Luray Caverns. It's some depressing poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RZA Encryption posted:

A couple years ago was the first time my extended family said anything political (it was bad). The older generations still don't, but the younger ones no longer have the mindset of "it's not polite to talk politics even if you think everyone agrees with you" that used to keep family gatherings pleasant. Too much right wing radio in the tractor cab, I guess.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I'm a big believer in the theory that most of the swing in polls comes from potential voters on one side or the other alternating between "ugh gently caress it" and "yeah I do support this candidate", and that there aren't many people at all who would potentially vote for either side in any one election (people do shift left or right, but that takes years, not weeks). So right-leaning people saying "ah both sides suck" (while left-leaning people say "well Hillary's the best we're going to get, and Trump really needs to go down, so I'm voting") is really the best case scenario.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
My family is largely in West Virginia so I can't even discuss how coal is maybe not a great idea, much less muslims.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly, this is a good opportunity for male feminists to make a pushback against the implicit social pressures to dehumanize and objectify women in private social situations amongst other men

as a feminist, if there's one thing that i'm kind of grateful for in this election, it's that it's brought into the limelight a lot of the everyday poo poo that we have to deal with as women in a very public and obvious way, which will hopefully get a lot of men to reevaluate their own behavior around women.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

RZA Encryption posted:

I've never understood peoples' aversion to talking politics. If you think you're right and that they're wrong, stand by your convictions. Will you convince whomever you are arguing/debating with? gently caress no. It's not about them—you make your case to expose the others at the table, those not stridently arguing for putting Muslims and Mexicans into concentration camps, to a saner point of view.

But then my family's Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners are the lot of us awkwardly sitting around eating while occasionally inserting small talk into the deafening silence, so I've never actually experienced the more rambunctious alternative.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've never understood peoples' aversion to talking politics.

Abject and all consuming fear in my case I dunno about others

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've never understood peoples' aversion to talking politics. If you think you're right and that they're wrong, stand by your convictions. Will you convince whomever you are arguing/debating with? gently caress no. It's not about them—you make your case to expose the others at the table, those not stridently arguing for putting Muslims and Mexicans into concentration camps, to a saner point of view.

that sounds exhausting man, i just wanna put a turkey into my mouth and watch football with people i am biologically inclined to care about on some level

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

achillesforever6 posted:

Everyone in my town seems to want to vote for Trump other than my family and my grandma who thinks Hillary is wonderful :unsmith:; living in the suburbs of Pittsburgh sucks sometimes though :smith:

Mark Blyth has a good talk you should watch; he uses some extremely similar language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkm2Vfj42FY

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Instant Sunrise posted:

as a feminist, if there's one thing that i'm kind of grateful for in this election, it's that it's brought into the limelight a lot of the everyday poo poo that we have to deal with as women in a very public and obvious way, which will hopefully get a lot of men to reevaluate their own behavior around women.

The litmus test has been A) whether or not someone realizes grabbing a woman's genitals is rape, not harassment and B) whether or not they realize Trump literally confessed to a crime on tape.

BTW being shocked at the "lewd language" instead is an instant "I am a garbage person" declaration

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

as a feminist, if there's one thing that i'm kind of grateful for in this election
:unsmith:

Instant Sunrise posted:

it's that it's brought into the limelight a lot of the everyday poo poo that we have to deal with as women in a very public and obvious way
:unsmith:

Instant Sunrise posted:

which will hopefully get a lot of men to reevaluate their own behavior around women.
:smithicide:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'll be sure to do it when I hang out with my dad's long time friends at the bar after pick up basketball, their golf outings, or the Urbanna Oyster Festival that's coming up soon. I can't really hate any of these men since they've helped me grow up, coached me, and are fun to be around whether drunk or sober. But I can lose a lot of respect for them especially with their racism, sexism, republicanism, and homophobia (especially the one with the gay son).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think that if I were president Obama, once Hillary cinched it I would issue a pardon to Donald Trump for most of the things that he has done, aside from anything that has to do with women and his behavior sexually. I would say that it was in the interest of the country moving forward, and I do believe that's true, but also I know it would totally piss him off

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm a feminist as well, but I will say this election (and Twitter over the last year) as been like putting on glasses and seeing everything much clearer. I will no longer put up with any sexist crap from anyone around me. In the past I mostly didn't either, but I did shrugged off commits from time to time. (I used to work in food industry so yeah, it happens. Easier now that I run my own business and work from home and coffee shops).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cugel the Clever posted:

But then my family's Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners are the lot of us awkwardly sitting around eating while occasionally inserting small talk into the deafening silence, so I've never actually experienced the more rambunctious alternative.

Haha yeah I love fighting with my family, it makes the holidays super fun

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Absentee voter horror stories: One of the guys I work with is from Florida. I asked if he'd registered for an absentee ballot, said I'd happily talk him through the process if he needed help. He thanked me but said he was okay. He's not voting because they're both so bad that there's no point.

Broseph, you are gay. And from Florida. And not white. And :psyboom:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

edrith posted:

Absentee voter horror stories: One of the guys I work with is from Florida. I asked if he'd registered for an absentee ballot, said I'd happily talk him through the process if he needed help. He thanked me but said he was okay. He's not voting because they're both so bad that there's no point.

Broseph, you are gay. And from Florida. And not white. And :psyboom:
this is what south park does to people's brains

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not to be patronizing, but you did what you could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My mother's side of the family is basically all incredibly liberal, and my father's side is a mixed bag from apolitical to full-on deplorable.

Needless to say, I'm spending Thanksgiving with my mother this year.

• Locked thread