Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

McNally posted:

I think they wanted a Party Swap mechanism in FF4 but didn't know how to implement it, so they just made Final Fantasy Vietnam to keep the party changing.

Yeah, and it really breaks suspension of belief (Dude, you jumped into a loving volcano, how did you survive????) and cheapens the overall story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, and it really breaks suspension of belief (Dude, you jumped into a loving volcano, how did you survive????) and cheapens the overall story.

You'll notice he never becomes a playable character again after that (except in the GBA version, but that doesn't count).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think the GBA version counts.

:colbert:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The reason you remember the fight being harder is because there's not one Ultros there, from a technical standpoint. There's something like four or five, each with their own HP totals. When Ultros "moves", the currently viewable one hides and the next one unhides. The battle ends when any one of them is killed.

So, if you go fast enough or have Cyan or Gau to inflict Stop, Ultros can go a lot faster than expected.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Trasson posted:

The reason you remember the fight being harder is because there's not one Ultros there, from a technical standpoint. There's something like four or five, each with their own HP totals. When Ultros "moves", the currently viewable one hides and the next one unhides. The battle ends when any one of them is killed.

So, if you go fast enough or have Cyan or Gau to inflict Stop, Ultros can go a lot faster than expected.

Are there any available rages that inflict Stop at this point in the game?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Meaty Ore posted:

Are there any available rages that inflict Stop at this point in the game?

Yes.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
If the question is "Can Gau do this" the answer is always yes.

VVV This is fair.

Galick fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 4, 2016

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

To be fair, sometimes the answer is actually "Not quite yet."

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Ah, gently caress, rats! These guys are time-wasters, and if you're not quick in killing/dodging them, you're going to fail.

So, naturally, I killed them all. Except for that one rat at the beginning, since I didn't feel like going back for him. His life is spared due to laziness.

What? I like keeping the missing monster updates nice and short.

Aww! How nice of you! :unsmith:

Leavemywife posted:

The jerk doing the Bestiary entries, though? poo poo, let him keep going. He probably needs the daily activity.

I take it back. :argh:

DayoDayo posted:

Hey I knew someone that flirted like Nathan does once long ago.. Wonder who that could've been.. :)

Probably Explosionface. He probably flirts like he Blitzes. :smug:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, everyone. You all enjoying the LP? I feel like my last few haven't been as good as they could have been. How's this one, you think? Is it good, or do I need to do some things better?

I'm going to have an update soon, but I've been busier than a cat covering poo poo lately, just so you all don't think I've given up.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Leavemywife posted:

Hey, everyone. You all enjoying the LP? I feel like my last few haven't been as good as they could have been. How's this one, you think? Is it good, or do I need to do some things better?

I'm going to have an update soon, but I've been busier than a cat covering poo poo lately, just so you all don't think I've given up.

You're doing perfectly fine, keep it up. And real life always comes first.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Leavemywife posted:

I've been busier than a cat covering poo poo

Taking koopaling to a whole new level since 2016

:catstare:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm lovely at leaving feedback, but I've always enjoyed your work, Leave, & I'm glad you're doing this LP.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fudge Handsome posted:

You're doing perfectly fine, keep it up. And real life always comes first.

that's the long and short of if.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

The updates have been enjoyable as always, take care of what you need to!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Do whatever, your LP is going fine. I'd definitely love to see an update soon, but I understand why they're not coming out frequently.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The updates are great. It's understandable that you're not updating like twice a day anymore. You just need time to teach the koopaling to LP, then we'll be getting like 3 updates a day!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

counterfeitsaint posted:

You just need time to teach the koopaling to LP, then we'll be getting like 3 updates a day!

She's already had her first guest spot.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The LP's doing fine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, it's been great.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Don't worry. You're doing just fine!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I would love to see an update from you soon, I check the thread often for one. But I am willing to wait and give you all the time you need. To quote one of my all-time favorite video game villains (don't worry, the true sentiment is not shared), I am a patient man.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Your LPs are a delight as always Leave so no complaints here! As others have said I look forward to your updates but real life and the little one has to come first. :)

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
As a lurker in many of your LP's, I am finally chiming in to say thanks. Consistent, funny, informative, and screenshot based--all the things I look for.

Keep rolling.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty Seven: To New Lands

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, Han kidnapped Olivia, whom he believed to be the opera star, Maria. We also kicked Ultros' rear end. Today, we're going to reveal our ruse to Han, so let's roll.

This update won't be very long, either. Gimme a bit more time, and I'll get something bigger out.

Han tosses Olivia into this room, and then proceeds to be super creepy.

:gonk:

Yes, Olivia, the door is, indeed, locked. Though, I'd imagine you could probably smash it in. And probably kick Han's rear end, too.

However, as you'll recall, this is all part of a larger plan.

First comes King Remain!

Then comes his brother, Leave!

And, finally, our esteemed adventurer comrade, Nathan!

Together, they form Team LORN!

But when did she get formally trained in opera singing?

Okay, okay, no more questions from me.

And what does Act Two entail?

Oh, right, we're going to kill him and take his airship. Or something like that.

Speak of the devil...

I find it odd that he didn't even bother to make sure he was kidnapping the right woman. I know Maria is supposed to be the star there, but surely, she'd have an understudy.

Plus, y'know, if you're kidnapping someone, you'd want to be sure that you're taking the right person.

Awfully dismissive of us, isn't he?

It's also the only airship, so with that being said, it's also the worst.

Assume I said something about how the house always wins.

Leave...Has nothing to say. Not even something about how he'll smash 'em.

And Remain tries to bribe him.

Which, hey, if I'm going to try and bribe someone, it's a gambler.

Han's a bit of a dickbag.

In his gambling room, Han holds a conference with us, in front of his blackjack table.

Oh, no, the Empire is trying to take over the world and now you can't gamble all that well. Boohoo.

But, I'll let Liv make my point for me.

As well as Nathan. Y'know, this playthrough, he's starting to grow on me.

Kind of like a fungus. He's got his uses.

You can suplex a train. I'm pretty sure the Empire will leave you the gently caress alone if you show them that.

He just said business was slow, not that he hated the Empire.

My thoughts exactly.

Is this an appropriate point to mention something about Han being a goon? Because I'm thinking it is.

He might be, but Liv has some--

...Dammit, Olivia...

I...I don't think that's how you settle who you're going to marry.

"They will be as follows:

A. You will make sure:

1. that my clothes and laundry are kept in good order;
2. that I will receive my three meals regularly in my room;
3. that my bedroom and study are kept neat, and especially that my desk is left for my use only.

B. You will renounce all personal relations with me insofar as they are not completely necessary for social reasons. Specifically, You will forego:

1. my sitting at home with you;
2. my going out or travelling with you.

C. You will obey the following points in your relations with me:

1. you will not expect any intimacy from me, nor will you reproach me in any way;
2. you will stop talking to me if I request it;
3. you will leave my bedroom or study immediately without protest if I request it.

D. You will undertake not to belittle me in front of our children, either through words or behavior."

...Are you conferring with Remain on this? Why the hell do you think he's the best choice?

Then again, he might be the only one here who has actually been with a woman.

...A coin toss?

Wait just a minute.

And the moment of truth.

...Oh-ho, talk about a lucky break.

Or, perhaps, Olivia made her own luck...

You know she's standing there, super :smugdog: right now.

And Remain is pretty :smith: right now.

Though, he's not even upset. He got played, and loves every second of it.

I like this line; it's so cheesy, you can smell the pepperjack, but it's got a certain charm to it.

Just like this.

Hey, unless you're going to grow wings and start flapping, you should probably shut the gently caress up, Nathan.

A little bit of philosophy is coming up...

Yeah, yeah, poo poo happens, we know. It is what it is, or whatever you want to say.

Well, hell, set a crash course, let's really shake it up for them.

Or not. Since that would probably kill us all.

Yeah, it is hard to fight an Empire if you're dead. Unless we all come back as liches...

That's either Vector, or we're about to attack the 20th Century Fox logo.

Either way, that's our airship now, Han hasn't officially joined the team (as in, we can't take him into combat), but that'll come soon enough.

For now, we're taking a break. Next time, we'll see about getting into the Empire, so stay tuned!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Leave...Has nothing to say. Not even something about how he'll smash 'em.

FYI for you playing at home. If Remain wasn't there, Leave would just basically say "Remain would pay you off"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And that's why you bring Leave and Remain. Anyone know what happens if Remain isn't there to give her the 2-headed coin?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

And that's why you bring Leave and Remain. Anyone know what happens if Remain isn't there to give her the 2-headed coin?

She just has her own. But obviously This Is Canon. :v:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
This is, in my opinion, a very important (and miss able) bit of characterization for the brothers. It warms my heart that the older brother was willing to give up his life and be king despite wanting to leave just as much as the younger one.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Another moment that makes Remain my kind of king. Too bad he's a fictional character.

If Jack is with the party for these events, he reminisces about how the Empire poisoned Doma and killed his family to motivate Han, as you'd expect. I don't know what Mowgli does.

Han is a selfish dick, but I've always found him endearing. Can't wait till we can have him on the team for reals. His airship crew are also very good folk to have as support. The ship's called the Blackjack, not that it's ever mentioned in-game.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Leavemywife posted:

Though, he's not even upset. He got played, and loves every second of it.

This is one of those moments that made me absolutely love this character. He helps them because they played him.

mauman posted:

This is, in my opinion, a very important (and miss able) bit of characterization for the brothers. It warms my heart that the older brother was willing to give up his life and be king despite wanting to leave just as much as the younger one.

I love this bit, too. Perhaps more important than giving up his own freedom, Remain allowed Leave to have his.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kevos Setzer posted:

This is one of those moments that made me absolutely love this character. He helps them because they played him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uSb8PHjom4

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

I loved this scene as a kid. Nice and ominous. Also rip Mobliz tintinabar.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Leave got rooked all those years ago too, did he?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Glazius posted:

So Leave got rooked all those years ago too, did he?

Yep. Remain set it up such that Leave could leave and pursue his dreams without a guilty conscience.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'd say it worked out pretty well, too. I'll take getting rooked by a loved one to learn Blitz stuff.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Bruce Campbell is a national treasure.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Kevos Setzer posted:

I love this bit, too. Perhaps more important than giving up his own freedom, Remain allowed Leave to have his.

It's just one of those things that really resonates with me since I have an older brother that looks out for me a lot more than he has to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

mauman posted:

It's just one of those things that really resonates with me since I have an older brother that looks out for me a lot more than he has to.

Nothing on "ruling a kingdom" level, but my twin brother and I were always aware of this sort of thing. I went for electronics and drafting classes after he passed a choir audition so that music could be his "thing" since our interests overlapped so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

FredMSloniker posted:

Bruce Campbell is a national treasure.

As a side note, everyone should watch Brisco County Jr. at some point. It's hilariously badly made at points and Bruce Campbell is the only real actor in most of it.

• Locked thread