Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

strong bird posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates!
Sid Meier's Pirates! Gold
Sid Meier's Pirates! Live the Life

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I wish there were games with cool naval combat... Most of them suck or they're really detailed but abstracted. I wanna watch sails get destroyed by cannon and have it affect the ship

rule the waves, my dude

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ive been wanting to play that game, it made me read a big rear end book on the naval arms race between britain and germany

is there an event in that game where you government can paralyze itself investigating its departments for homosexuality? because that was hilarious when it happened to germany irl

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

rule the waves, my dude

Isn't that the game that's ultra detailed but doesn't actually shown any kind of simulation of the battle other than a results sheet.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
No, you make ships according to budget and treaty restraints brought on by your country's politicians, and then according to difficulty you can either micromanage your ships that are entering combat in the fleet ship by ship or you only have the ability to issue orders to the fleet as a whole and they execute them as best they can. There's not really any graphics beyond the little pictures that you make for your ships, but it's definitely a heavy simulator while it's running.

It's a really fun Grognard game, and playing as the Japanese is really fun because you get to do sneak attacks on people's primary harbors whenever you declare war on them. You can crush Russia's pacific fleet with a horde of torpedo destroyers really easily.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Harpoon 2 was good and fun. Are there any new games like that?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

command: modern air naval operations

haven't actually played it tho

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

StashAugustine posted:

command: modern air naval operations

haven't actually played it tho

I tried playing it once and didn't understand anything at all. I managed to get two destroyers sunk by a few worthless Korean gunboats.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
people love talking about the game over in the grog thread; they're generally very helpful to new players, esp. the dev who posts there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think I'm going to pick up the $20 single campaign version just to see if the game is worth dealing with what looks like a sub-Rule The Waves interface

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Command is pretty good just for the scenario editor but I would definitely not buy it at full price.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ANtsy to start a fresh run tomorrow.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

ANtsy to start a fresh run tomorrow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Had some fun with CKII today though. Managed to turn my entire family into inbred failures in just one generation by legitimizing a bunch of bastards and marrying them to all their uncles

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

Had some fun with CKII today though. Managed to turn my entire family into inbred failures in just one generation by legitimizing a bunch of bastards and marrying them to all their uncles

It was even worse when 'Way of Life' was first released, where all the AI characters picked the seduction focus and there were much greater chances of success (and no way for characters to permanently reject all future attempts), so it was merely a matter of time until everyone agreed to have sex with everyone else.
Family members would seduce one another, and every single unmarried female courtier were almost constantly pregnant (not to mention they all basically had 5+ children each).
Soo many inbred people around, after a few generations of the Europe-wide orgy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Major Isoor posted:

It was even worse when 'Way of Life' was first released, where all the AI characters picked the seduction focus and there were much greater chances of success (and no way for characters to permanently reject all future attempts), so it was merely a matter of time until everyone agreed to have sex with everyone else.
Family members would seduce one another, and every single unmarried female courtier were almost constantly pregnant (not to mention they all basically had 5+ children each).
Soo many inbred people around, after a few generations of the Europe-wide orgy.

Yeah Way of Life was disturbingly lovely on release.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

every dlc between old gods and reapers due has been poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

every dlc between old gods and reapers due has been poo poo

It's kind of a shame because a lot of those DLCs have good ideas suspended in groogyism

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:siren: Patch 1.18.1 is live :siren:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Muscovy is a really fun start. Warring with the Golden Horde from moment 1 makes for good long drawn out rivalries

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Taking a break because I just got out of a 5 year war with Golden Horde where after everything one province ended up changing hands and I hgave 0 manpower and Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Scotland all declared war on me at once because they want my stupid vassal. It only started recently but Renaissance is spreading throughout the world and I like the new tech changes, even if it doesn't seem you can actually influence spread. It just happens

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Super sad I have to work, my last game as mutapa was screwed since I couldn't westernize off those colonial half core things, so my "colonize the good parts of South Africa and leave the euros a lovely province for tech benifits" strategy will go a lot better I think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"Increasing Institution spread by increasing development scales on the amount of development in the province, with development 20 giving 5, and development of 2 giving 0.5." Ah ok, so higher developed nations see the effects of tech reforms faster, makes sense

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Apparently Asian nations can grab colonialism first and the penalty for not having it is now 50%, lol.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stairmaster posted:

Apparently Asian nations can grab colonialism first and the penalty for not having it is now 50%, lol.

Plus institutions can't pop up in multiple places for some idiotic reason.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As Brandenburg, I had 150% tech cost within like 30 years :effort:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tbf germans are savages

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't invested in a single tech yet because the 1444 Muscovy leader kind blows for gains in the start and by the time I was established and developed enough to start thinking about it I had massive cost penalties because it's going to take 80 years for the Renaissance to spread to my country

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

so are institutions good or bad

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BBJoey posted:

so are institutions good or bad

They're loving fantastic if you don't play in Europe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they will be good but it needs a little extra balancing. But I only played for 30 minutes before work so we'll see.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's no worse feeling in the world than having a siege at max progression and watching the RNG fail for a year straight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Have to head out for the day but I beat back denmark and even got a port out of the war and after recovering for a while golden horde declared war on me and then a week later the pope declare holy war on golden horde so Im gonna steal the last province i need to form russia and start taking over the nordic region. This is awesome. I still have the lowest tech levels in hte game too lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Love the epically retarded vassal AI that will stand one province next to you while you're engaged in battle with a stack that would win the battle for you but doesn't do a thing, especially when they're set to Support

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i like it when allies randomly gently caress off to the middle of your territory while you do all the work in a way they started

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't change any names I swear

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

In Training posted:

I didn't change any names I swear

a classic since eu3 times

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Its the Russian version of Simon, pronounced Semyon.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

In Training posted:

There's no worse feeling in the world than having a siege at max progression and watching the RNG fail for a year straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Its the Russian version of Simon, pronounced Semyon.

In English it's loving jizz lmao