Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Don't underestimate conservatives hatred of Hillary Clinton. My dad was like " Well it's just a word" and then other family members who are fundamentalist christians are all " Men talk like that its normal".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Don't underestimate conservatives hatred of Hillary Clinton. My dad was like " Well it's just a word" and then other family members who are fundamentalist christians are all " Men talk like that its normal".

Part of the problem has been that the coverage has been pure poo poo.

NPR is referring to it as a "lewd comment".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah people are focusing on the wrong comment. Grab them by the pussy is "OUTRAGEOUS". More outrageous is that Trump is bragging about sexual assault.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Can someone explain what the Podesta emails are? From what I've seeing being linked around FB and twitter, they basically confirm every single Bernie or Bust persons beliefs about Hillary, plus some of the right wings attacks as well?

They come from Wikilinks so I highly doubt they're anything that damaging, or even that at all.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Xae posted:

NPR is referring to it as a "lewd comment".

NPR is the one outlet, unless you count Cooper at the debate, that I've heard discuss in long form that it's sexual assault and not just lewdness.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cult member at airport posted:

Eichenwald has done some good work but he inflates the importance of a lot of his findings. "Guys, I totally deserve to split the Pullitzer with Fahrenthold!!"

The problem is what he digs up is important. He broke the Cuba dealings and I believe him using Chinese steel. The problem is no one really gave any shits about them in the general public, though Cuba was good for wedging off people in Florida and the Chinese metals got the steelworkers pissed off (the metals story got buried by PTSD as well).

Also, :siren: KHZIR KHAN ON LAST WORD :siren:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

twistedmentat posted:

Can someone explain what the Podesta emails are? From what I've seeing being linked around FB and twitter, they basically confirm every single Bernie or Bust persons beliefs about Hillary, plus some of the right wings attacks as well?

They come from Wikilinks so I highly doubt they're anything that damaging, or even that at all.

They're just generic communication between the campaign managers and campaign. Stuff like revealing a disgruntled staffer said Chelsea Clinton was spoiled once, etc.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

yeah it's abjectly terrifying but it's also not gonna affect the polls because 'there are eerie similarities between trump talking points and russian goverment's talking points' doesn't play as well as 'grab them by the pussy'

Plus, it's plausible that Trump's just bad at reading comprehension, given how incoherent his speaking is! I could totally see him make the same mistake as some Russian flunky with limited English familiarity.

Edit: more seriously, I could totally see one of Trump's alt-right flunkies viewing RT or something, and just passing it along --- they're a key target demographic, after all!

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 11, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

They are links to transcripts (taken out of context) from some of Hillary Clinton's for-pay speeches which are completely nothingburgers.

There are however fakes being spread around that claim they are from the emails and a good number are being taken in by that where it basically has Hillary Clinton saying she rigged the election and everyone is stupid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Intelligence report from the field: The Trump supporters I have spoke to all believe that the polls are false and that polls are not reliable. One told me that Hilary is still in court for Benghazi and the emails, additionally "pussygate" only matters if you're a pussy. Hilary supporters consist of basically only women and skeletons.
how did that person react when you told them that there were more women than men in the country, and that voter turnout is higher for women than men

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Leisure Suit Larry is lewd.
Trump's comments are sexual assault.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My dad, an older southern white man, has been a Republican since the 80's. He describes himself as a libertarian but the extent of his "socially liberal" positions amount to nothing more than not caring one way or the other about gay marriage (because, according to him, gay people aren't discriminated against anymore so it doesn't matter) and abortion. One of the more horrifying things he's suggested to me is that you should only be able to vote if you pay income taxes, because "if you aren't paying into the system, why should you get to say where other peoples' tax money goes," or, alternatively, some kind of weighted voting system where people who pay more in taxes have their votes count more. He thinks the biggest problem with American government is that we don't have term limits for congress. I haven't spoken to him since pussygate, but unless that's changed his mind, his position on Trump is that Trump is a narcissistic dumbass who has no idea what he's doing, but Congress would reign in his worst excesses and the Supreme Court is the most important issue for him so he's voting Trump.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well some of Leisure Suit Larry is sexual assault/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

bernie or bust people are conspiracy theorists and will believe literally anything becase by this point all of the sanders supporters who aren't insane or have shocking levels of media illiteracy have accepted reality and moved on

conspiracy networks often form not from the ground up as people buy into an idea, but in a reduction process as sane, intelligent people are gradually weeded out of a group until only the nuts are left hyping each other up about nonsense

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Leisure Suit Larry is lewd.
Trump's comments are sexual assault.

The basic problem with this is that stupid people can dismiss it with "he's just talking, you can't prove he actually did anything."

That's why it's merely a campaign sinking moment and not a "Republicans lose nearly every election and Trump goes to jail" moment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boner confessor posted:

conspiracy networks often form not from the ground up as people buy into an idea, but in a reduction process as sane, intelligent people are gradually weeded out of a group until only the nuts are left hyping each other up about nonsense
*becoming increasingly nervous as i glance around something awful dot com*

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Endorph posted:

*becoming increasingly nervous as i glance around something awful dot com*

we have Amergin to keep us grounded

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

greatn posted:

Yeah those test questions in the beginning jezus I'm in my 30s but I wasn't born in 1965.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

greatn posted:

Fair enough. I never got past the quiz at the beginning.

Edit: Dammit

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

The basic problem with this is that stupid people can dismiss it with "he's just talking, you can't prove he actually did anything."

That's why it's merely a campaign sinking moment and not a "Republicans lose nearly every election and Trump goes to jail" moment.

Except then they can't use "Killary won't say RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM" as an argument because that's also just words. Oh wait yeah they still will.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Except then they can't use "Killary won't say RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM" as an argument because that's also just words. Oh wait yeah they still will.

She also has/will use those words just not in off topic racist diatribes.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

describing sexual assault to a receptive audience is in fact not sexual assault

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad is as pro-Hillary and anti-Trump as you can get (he and my mom actually were pro-Hillary in '08 but accepted the loss and 100% supported Obama after) but my dad is Arzy-ing so loving hard it's really sad. He won't let himself relax or think of any positive scenarios. :smith:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My dad is as pro-Hillary and anti-Trump as you can get (he and my mom actually were pro-Hillary in '08 but accepted the loss and 100% supported Obama after) but my dad is Arzy-ing so loving hard it's really sad. He won't let himself relax or think of any positive scenarios. :smith:

Buy him an account

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Buy him alcohol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

She also has/will use those words just not in off topic racist diatribes.

I liked what she did last night (which may be something she does regularly and I'm not remembering) which is to use the phrase Radical Jihadist and emphasize they are not at war with Islam.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mahoning posted:

Words are only magical when they don't involve old white men, of course.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Foochs, Hilldawg's gonna win and Ambrose will continue to be a main event staple, so both you and your old man can relax :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trabisnikof posted:

Reince is gone if Trump loses.

Even if they keep the house I can't imagine Ryan being re-elected speaker can you? This is clearly his fault somehow too.

If they keep the House and have a small enough margin that the Tea Partiers can rebel to make the GOP the minority to the Democrats I could see Ryan straight saying "gently caress this" and not trying to be Speaker any more. As much of an rear end in a top hat as he is he has to have realized by now that he's going to be sacrificed by either end of his party if it can save the GOP.

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

only that he wasn't gonna be seen in public with the guy, not that he was rescinding support

the crowd in elkhorn saturday shook him

"I'm done defending Donald Trump, all of you should do what you think is best" is absolutely Paul Ryan being done with Trump. He's too much of a chickenshit to announce (yet) that he's unendorsing Trump but this is the next closest thing. Paul Ryan's the highest ranking Republican (by government position) in the country. He's behind Biden for the Presidency. This is a massive thing to have happen.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

speng31b posted:

NPR is the one outlet, unless you count Cooper at the debate, that I've heard discuss in long form that it's sexual assault and not just lewdness.

Surprisingly, Weekend Update on SNL did as well

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

They are links to transcripts (taken out of context) from some of Hillary Clinton's for-pay speeches which are completely nothingburgers.

There are however fakes being spread around that claim they are from the emails and a good number are being taken in by that where it basically has Hillary Clinton saying she rigged the election and everyone is stupid.

That's what I guessed. Quoting Wikilinks as a credible news source is like going to Naturalnews, Infowars, Abovetopsecret, or Ancient Aliens for credible info. They followed the Ron Paul method, you start off saying sane, credible things that people that are generally progressive would accept, then once you got them, you dump all the crazy.

Something else I keep seeing is dumb rear end comments like "How come no ones upset Bill stuck a cigar in Monicas pussy???" uh because even though adultery is wrong in a moral sense, it was between two consenting adults, unlike what Trump has said and probably did. But then we all know Consent is a unknown word for the Right.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

we have Amergin to keep us grounded

mods just probied the Amergin until post-election.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spatula City posted:

mods just probied the Amergin until post-election.

We're doomed.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/785670191409659904

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The only NPR anybody listens to as far as politics is concerned, at least as much as I've heard, is the morning programming which is total garbage equivocation and tone policing

I just tell people to ignore it entirely and check WashPo who have been a lot more reliable, or if they MUST listen just to understand that they've outright said that they value a cordial tone and truth in the middle overall

the main thing I'm hearing tho? The Trump people they can find to come on are sounding more and more lunatic, because anybody who can speak lucidly isn't doing so to defend Trump anymore

speng31b
May 8, 2010

It's eating itself, it's eating ITSELF.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Robert Plant posted:

Foochs, Hilldawg's gonna win and Ambrose will continue to be a main event staple, so both you and your old man can relax :)

Yaaaaaay :unsmith:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

The only NPR anybody listens to as far as politics is concerned, at least as much as I've heard, is the morning programming which is total garbage equivocation and tone policing

I just tell people to ignore it entirely and check WashPo who have been a lot more reliable, or if they MUST listen just to understand that they've outright said that they value a cordial tone and truth in the middle overall

the main thing I'm hearing tho? The Trump people they can find to come on are sounding more and more lunatic, because anybody who can speak lucidly isn't doing so to defend Trump anymore

At the same time, is there anyone considering voting for Trump who also listens to NPR?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

twistedmentat posted:

That's what I guessed. Quoting Wikilinks as a credible news source is like going to Naturalnews, Infowars, Abovetopsecret, or Ancient Aliens for credible info. They followed the Ron Paul method, you start off saying sane, credible things that people that are generally progressive would accept, then once you got them, you dump all the crazy.

Something else I keep seeing is dumb rear end comments like "How come no ones upset Bill stuck a cigar in Monicas pussy???" uh because even though adultery is wrong in a moral sense, it was between two consenting adults, unlike what Trump has said and probably did. But then we all know Consent is a unknown word for the Right.

There is the issue of a person in a position of authority having a sexual relationship with a subordinate.

I've been in that position as the person of authority and while I never made threats, gave favors, or showed any favoritism; I can see how it looks really bad. I don't think anything ever came out about Bill Clinton being rapey towards Monica or making her promises but it's not a good look.

All that said, yeah it's dumb to equate banging an intern who is about it to grabbing and kissing women who are afraid to speak up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Oh cool its the bimonthly NPR bitchfit

• Locked thread