Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Quinton posted:

I'm a believer in a column-B variant -- it was an easy thing to say he'd run and get some press, and then a combination of enjoying the adulation of his fans and being offended by those dismissing him convinced him to actually run.

Well, he's run in prior cycles. But they were always clearly joke runs from the start. I think this cycle he took it farther because of Obama's goading, then found himself on an irreversible track and accelerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Renaissance Spam posted:

I think you're thinking of :shepface:

It's actually a Mass Effect reference.

Lmao thanks, I'm a dumbass.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, he's run in prior cycles. But they were always clearly joke runs from the start. I think this cycle he took it farther because of Obama's goading, then found himself on an irreversible track and accelerated.

I like to think he made a bet with Bill Clinton that went entirely off the rails. :v:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Isn't he always saying "big league"? I thought it was "bigly" too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just read his comments and he actually thinks 'I'LL ATTACK THE CLINTONS MORE IF YOU LEAK MORE TAPES! DON'T THINK I WON'T!' :byodood: will stop anyone? lol

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

I just read his comments and he actually thinks 'I'LL ATTACK THE CLINTONS MORE IF YOU LEAK MORE TAPES! DON'T THINK I WON'T!' :byodood: will stop anyone? lol

"Don't make me drink this mug of piss! I'll do it!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I honestly wonder if it wasn't just a marketing thing for his old post office gig. "One way or another I'm going to Pennsylvania Ave" is some poo poo you say when you're using a presidential run to market a building on Pennsylvania Avenue with your name on it. Problem is that gosh darn it the GOP base are really loving dumb.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Glenn Beck is a bad person, who has genuine convictions. They are usually awful convictions, but they're real and he sticks to them even when it's not pleasant to him or contradicts things he thought he believed until he actually examined them, such as being anti-Trump (and thus consequently anti-Cruz and pro-Hillary) and pro-BLM. A lot of his views are genuinely appalling to me, but he (at least here) isn't twisting them or trying to get around them when what he believes turns out to contradict what he personally wants or is easy for him.

Basically, Glenn Beck is quite possibly the mythical "True Conservative". And the Republican base wants to crucify him for it. It's pretty darkly amusing really. It's kind of awful, and as abhorrent as he is we'd probably be better off if the GOP resembled more him and less Trump, but, hey. Guy's sticking to his convictions, and I can both respect that and laugh with schadenfreude as the masses turn on him and everything burns around him.

Night10194 posted:

It's such a hilariously awful threat. His attacks on the Clintons are making things even worse for him. Hillary wants him to melt down while screaming inceasingly insane things about her. If he finally slips and calls her a slur or something, even better.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Trump reminds me of Spiro Agnew. An idiot that's waay too close to sitting in the chair.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Whatever it was, it was something he did for attention and then as soon as the option for MORE ATTENTION popped up he started slamming on it like a labrat on their 'dispense heroin' button, and it's going to have similar results.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

Trump: Dont make me hit myself, I'll do it and the media will blame you

Everyone except Fox News: Why does he keep hitting himself, is he crazy? Lets ask the panel

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Glumslinger posted:

Trump: Dont make me hit myself, I'll do it and the media will blame you

Everyone except Fox News: Why does he keep hitting himself, is he crazy? Lets ask the panel

Fox: Trump Bravely Attacks Fascist, Extremely Presidential.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Kulkasha posted:

Trump reminds me of Spiro Agnew. An idiot that's waay too close to sitting in the chair.

He's like an ultra racist, fascist Dan Quayle.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Night10194 posted:

Fox: Trump Bravely Attacks Fascist, Extremely Presidential.

It's like how one man in particular put a bullet in Hitler's head.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Basically, Glenn Beck is quite possibly the mythical "True Conservative". And the Republican base wants to crucify him for it. It's pretty darkly amusing really. It's kind of awful, and as abhorrent as he is we'd probably be better off if the GOP resembled more him and less Trump, but, hey. Guy's sticking to his convictions, and I can both respect that and laugh with schadenfreude as the masses turn on him and everything burns around him.

Your observations are all correct but he's far from mythical. He's just another bow-tie wearing white supremacist who'd be doing grunt work at the Weekly Standard congratulating himself for his differences of opinion, but he knows how to do radio so he does that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

lozzle posted:

He's like an ultra racist, fascist Dan Quayle.

Communism ends with an E

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

woke wedding drone posted:

"Did you notice that baby was crying through half of the speech and I didn’t get angry?" Donald "Maybe it says he's a Muslim" Trump doesn't work in real jobs though

News anchoring isn't a real job!

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I want a series of children's stories read by Shep Smith.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rip Testes posted:

Trump saying this is like Brexit. I hope to hell not. Go vote.

People freaked out about the polling be wrong, but Brexit polling showed a toss-up. The issue was that the pundit class never considered that the toss-up would end up with a Leave result.

This general election is different. Clinton is +5 on average right now, and that's going to get worse for Trump as the older polls showing a closer race drop out of the calculations. I think Clinton still has room to grow in the polls right now, but it'll end up tightening slightly to Hillary +4-5 before the 8th.

That's a solid lead. That's not the 2 point difference you saw in the Brexit poll averages.

edit: Electoral College and the election being essentially 50+ statewide races(not an actual national popular vote) is also a big difference.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 11, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Who am I kidding, Glenn Beck couldn't get hired as a copy boy at the Weekly Standard

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your observations are all correct but he's far from mythical. He's just another bow-tie wearing white supremacist who'd be doing grunt work at the Weekly Standard congratulating himself for his differences of opinion, but he knows how to do radio so he does that.

That was sarcastic; Republicans always talk about "True Conservatives" but these figures never exist. They're always hypocritical or selfish or whatever and go back on their supposed principles with horrifying ease. The hardship and suffering their policies and such inflict are for other people to endure. Beck is literally the only example of one I can think of who is actually standing by his supposed principles when it affects him and not someone else.

Basically, the "True Conservative" they always talk about and proclaim such-and-such to be almost never actually exists. I mean, Cruz was their shining example of it, and look where he is now. Phone banking for the man who insulted his wife and said his father killed JFK, so he could try to get ahead in politics. It wasn't praise of Beck, but insulting everyone who's claimed the label.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 11, 2016

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Isn't he always saying "big league"? I thought it was "bigly" too.

I don't see why it matters either way. Bigly is a perfectly cromulent word.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
big league

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ErIog posted:

People freaked out about the polling be wrong, but Brexit polling showed a toss-up. The issue was that the pundit class never considered that the toss-up would end up with a Leave result.

This general election is different. Clinton is +5 on average right now, and that's going to get worse for Trump as the older polls showing a closer race drop out of the calculations. I think Clinton still has room to grow in the polls right now, but it'll end up tightening slightly to Hillary +4-5 before the 8th.

That's a solid lead. That's not the 2 point difference you saw in the Brexit poll averages.

edit: Electoral College and the election being essentially 50+ statewide races(not an actual national popular vote) is also a big difference.

There is also the possibility, though I don't dare to hope, that Trump's bottom is falling out. The only thing that indicates that for me is that he still actually lost that debate pretty badly in the post-debate polling even IF he exceeded expectations; voters might just be sick of the rear end in a top hat and ready for this to be over and women hated his performance. Still the slim possibility of a real landslide.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is cool and I totally agree.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

That was sarcastic; Republicans always talk about "True Conservatives" but these figures never exist. They're always hypocritical or selfish or whatever and go back on their supposed principles with horrifying ease. The hardship and suffering their policies and such inflict are for other people to endure. Beck is literally the only example of one I can think of who is actually standing by his supposed principles when it affects him and not someone else.

Basically, the "True Conservative" they always talk about and proclaim such-and-such to be almost never actually exists. I mean, Cruz was their shining example of it, and look where he is now. Phone banking for the man who insulted his wife and said his father killed JFK, so he could try to get ahead in politics. It wasn't praise of Beck, but insulting everyone who's claimed the label.

A lot of people try to give John Kasich this title, but I don't buy it since unlike most other GOP leaders, he is not eligible for reelection. If he were, I'm sure we'd see a sniveling coward just like we see in the rest of the GOP.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't see why it matters either way. Bigly is a perfectly cromulent word.

"Bigly" is even funnier than "big league", even if not wrong.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

SSNeoman posted:

This is cool and I totally agree.

lol wow that is quite some red text you've got there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

trash person posted:

I've had a 'Ready for Hilary bumper sticker for something like two years now. I've supported her but I mostly got the bumper sticker cause, living in Arizona, people would get openly angry with me. I got notes left on my car about how Obama and Hilary should be euthanized, chain e-mails about Muslims taking over the country, poo poo like that.

Most recent was early this year. Dude pulls up next to me on the road, motions for me to roll my window down, and asks,

"You support Hilary Clinton?"

I say, Yeah.

He says, "You're a traitorous bastard!"

I just gave him a thumbs up.
:ironicat:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

There is also the possibility, though I don't dare to hope, that Trump's bottom is falling out. The only thing that indicates that for me is that he still actually lost that debate pretty badly in the post-debate polling even IF he exceeded expectations; voters might just be sick of the rear end in a top hat and ready for this to be over and women hated his performance. Still the slim possibility of a real landslide.

I think a landslide is more possible than we give it credit for. People are still on some level predicting tightening movement based on the conventional wisdom of elections, and Trump - for all he is - is not conventional. We've never seen a candidate tank so disastrously, so ineptly, so repeatedly, in a modern general election - with so much visibility into it. The reports of his party falling down around him are a big exaggerated, but not entirely offbase. He's pushing the limits of ineptitude. He's losing women by historic margins, defying conventional wisdom that the gender gap is relatively small and most voters at the end of the day vote based on the economy. That alone is a game changer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lozzle posted:

My mother is adamant that Trump's campaign began in earnest as a response to being humiliated by President Obama at the White House Correspondents' Dinner.

That was literally the theory put forward by Frontline

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
With all the Shep and Anderson Cooper vs. Pam Bondi talk I thought a revisit of what got Anderson on the map might be fun for all you snapper whippers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsuRCXiYGO4

I think I watched this live originally and became aroused and proud. I haven't been a fan of his morning-talk-show-host persona since, but gg on the debate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

trash person posted:

I've had a 'Ready for Hilary bumper sticker for something like two years now. I've supported her but I mostly got the bumper sticker cause, living in Arizona, people would get openly angry with me. I got notes left on my car about how Obama and Hilary should be euthanized, chain e-mails about Muslims taking over the country, poo poo like that.

Most recent was early this year. Dude pulls up next to me on the road, motions for me to roll my window down, and asks,

"You support Hilary Clinton?"

I say, Yeah.

He says, "You're a traitorous bastard!"

I just gave him a thumbs up.

"Death to America my friend" and a really serene smile would also have been good.

Keep on keeping on in any event

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

lozzle posted:

lol wow that is quite some red text you've got there.

Yeah I really love it :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable at this point at saying that there's no hidden killspeech waiting in the wings. Even the Assaultgate tape didn't come from the Clinton campaign. Waiting for the sure-fire everything-win it's gonna be great tape feels to me like it's people getting kinda complacent and assuming there's a sure win so no reason to panic. (even if things are going well right now.)

Considering the amount of time Donny has been making media appearances I have no problem believing there's audio/video sitting around somewhere that would be a total killshot. All the actual news media of course went back through all their poo poo and made sure there weren't any interesting tidbits. Hillary's team also has a nebulous amount of opposition research just looking for a good home on TV. Releasing the Machado story and tape is what lead to the Pussy Snatch Tapes coming out. Access Hollywood realized that they might have something of rating value in their vaults and uncovered that gem. Since Access Hollywood is just fluff idiocy, they didn't think to check their archives before hand. Now everyone who has ever interviewed, mic'd, or in any way recorded Donny is going through their poo poo with a fine toothed comb.

Considering NBC was sitting on the tape for a few days, and the reaction of those with the rights to the Apprentice cutting room floor stuff to releasing it, it wouldn't surprise me if any actual 3rd party recordings don't come out until next week or so. If the Hillary team actually has the data in their possession then it'll come out whenever is most helpful.

Let's just hope someone somewhere was recording Donny in the days following the Press Dinner and has some really good rants about Obama just waiting to see the light of day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

That was literally the theory put forward by Frontline
Omarosa told the news it. Trump told them he didn't care and had a good time at the WHCD.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Otteration posted:

With all the Shep and Anderson Cooper vs. Pam Bondi talk I thought a revisit of what got Anderson on the map might be fun for all you snapper whippers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsuRCXiYGO4

I think I watched this live originally and became aroused and proud. I haven't been a fan of his morning-talk-show-host persona since, but gg on the debate.

Wow Mary Landrieu is the loving worst.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Did this get posted yet?

http://waitbutwhy.com/2016/10/second-presidential-debate.html

quote:

Audience Question: Do you believe you can be a devoted president to all the people in the US?

Trump: I want to help all Americans. The black Americans. The Latino Americanos personas. The Indian chiefs. Our cities are a disaster. Our education is a disaster. Poverty is a disaster. Natural disasters are a disaster. She said basket of deplorables.

Clinton: I want to help all Americans—the deplorables and the non-deplorables. I talked to an Ethopian kid who was scared of Trump.

Anderson: But what’s up with the deplorables thing?

Clinton: I only meant that truthfully, not publicly.

Trump: She has tremendous hate in her heart. The hate in her heart is a disaster.

Anderson: So Donald, remember when you kind of woke up in the middle of the night the other night and went on a 3am tirade attacking that random woman and telling people to watch her sex tape? What was…what was the deal with that?

Trump: That slut.

Anderson: Let’s move on to the next question, from a man named Kenneth Bone.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Morroque posted:

Right now I feel legit bad for Chelsea Manning. She gave the diplomatic/war leaks over to Wikileaks in confidence that they were an honest journalism organization -- and back then, you could've easily been forgiven for thinking that. The fact that Assange and the rest running Wikileaks are just too involved with the Russian government must feel like a serious knife in the back. And it will no doubt probably make it harder to get any further clemency on the US government's part now because at least some part of it has had their fears vindicated over this.

I hope Snowden manages better. He took the wiser choice by getting his leaks to more reasonable journalistic sources, but being trapped in Russia mustn't be too comfortable.

Honest question, is there a timeline of events that demonstrates that Wikileaks wasn't always associated with the Russian government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That last one looks like an extremely racist man attempting to do Kung Fu.

Which I guess is half right.

• Locked thread