Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Electromax posted:

I hope this movie turns out decent, the effects look pretty fun even beyond the Inception inspiration everyone's pointed out.

:trumppop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can't wait to see Kaleidoscope: The Movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
IIRC what I was wary about in the previous trailers is that it looked like a lot of the footage was from a similar "training sequence" scene like in Inception.

The final battle has clips and they look just as weird though, so hopefully it endures.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

I hope this movie turns out decent, the effects look pretty fun even beyond the Inception inspiration everyone's pointed out.

Yeah this is exactly the kind of stuff I've been waiting for, I am amped up.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Electromax posted:

ever since the ending of ant-man this is all i'd been hoping for

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Villain and actor playing him have been revealed for Logan:

quote:

Boyd Holbrook will play Donald Pierce. Pierce, in the Marvel Comics Universe, is a cyborg who was a member of the Hellfire Club’s Inner Circle. After being beaten by the X-Men, Pierce left the Hellfire Club and became the leader of the thuggish cyborg group called the Reavers.

Also, Evangeline Lilly says that The Wasp will be in Avengers 4 (title pending).

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 10, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh loving hell yeah he's been awesome in Narcos.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Corek posted:

That's all the Gundam shows :smuggo:

eat a diccccc

also doc strange is my favourite of the lesser marvel superheroes I'm very sad they decided to give the role to an rear end like Cumberbatch.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

The fact that Bryan Cranston is Zordon and Bill Hader is Alpha 5 means my mind is made up that I'm pretty much gonna have to see Power Rangers

Never watched power rangers (Past the age bracket by a smidge I guess) but the trailer did look pretty good, and combining robots is nothing new for a kid that grew up on voltron.

Lady Naga posted:

eat a diccccc

also doc strange is my favourite of the lesser marvel superheroes I'm very sad they decided to give the role to an rear end like Cumberbatch.

Probably close to 20 times now I've said "Marvel cast THAT guy? Really?" and it worked out pretty well. I'm at the point where I just give the benefit of the doubt. It'll probably be fine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
is cumberbatch an rear end for something he did in real life or is this just about him looking like a weirdo and/or goons hating popular things

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is cumberbatch an rear end for something he did in real life or is this just about him looking like a weirdo and/or goons hating popular things

He seems like a cool dude in real life, but there is a backlash against him because he was the object of really strong fangirling and has a funny name. It was like when Robert Pattinson was the guy everyone made fun of because of how many girls loved him from Twilight and it got so bad that he had to disassociate himself completely from the franchise.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He also called black and brown actors 'Coloured people' rather than address each individual race he had worked with for a movie and some people got pissy over that.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So it's just

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

goons hating popular things

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Rhymenoserous posted:

Never watched power rangers (Past the age bracket by a smidge I guess) but the trailer did look pretty good, and combining robots is nothing new for a kid that grew up on voltron.

Probably close to 20 times now I've said "Marvel cast THAT guy? Really?" and it worked out pretty well. I'm at the point where I just give the benefit of the doubt. It'll probably be fine.

That reminds me, I want a Voltron movie. It sucks being just a little too old for nostalgia trend. Never going to see a live action Thundarr or Captain Caveman either.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He should've been Nic Cage.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For me, the weird thing about Benedict Cumberbatch's casting is that he has such a distinctive voice, one of the most striking things about him, and yet they're having him do a bland generic American accent instead.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Doctor Strange preview was so loving good. Can't really judge the story and McAdams seems to be wasted in a bland love interest role, but this is gonna look amazing in 3D. Not just folding buildings, either, though there was plenty of that.

Oh, and Marvel had Sebastian Stan introduce the footage at my theater, which was nice of them even though he's not in this movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Was there any noteworthy news about Spiderman Homecoming, GOTG 2 and Thor Ragnarok at NYCC btw?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

MizPiz posted:

So it's just

I mean he's also said some lovely things about autistic people and played an incredibly transphobic character in the terrible Zoolander sequel but sure w/e.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ferrinus posted:

He should've been Nic Cage.

that's a good reason

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Chairman Capone posted:

For me, the weird thing about Benedict Cumberbatch's casting is that he has such a distinctive voice, one of the most striking things about him, and yet they're having him do a bland generic American accent instead.

It sounds like he's copping Hugh Laurie's House, which is neither bland or generic. If anything he'll be interesting to listen to.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
like the visuals I've seen so far of Strange. I'm hoping the movie itself will stay imaginative with his powers and his peers'. I've not actually noticed his accent.

Lady Naga posted:

I mean he's also said some lovely things about autistic people and played an incredibly transphobic character in the terrible Zoolander sequel but sure w/e.

Oh jesus christ, roll out the wahmbulance. What exactly did he say that you dislike him so? And Zoolander 2 is its own tragedy, you can hardly realistically hate the guy for playing a caricature character he was hired to play.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 11, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Drifter posted:

like the visuals I've seen so far of Strange. I'm hoping the movie itself will stay imaginative with his powers and his peers'. I've not actually noticed his accent.

Oh jesus christ, roll out the wahmbulance. What exactly did he say that you dislike him so? And Zoolander 2 is its own tragedy, you can hardly realistically hate the guy for playing a caricature character he was hired to play.

Wait why are you simultaneously insulting me and trying to get me to engage with you? Those seem like contradictory goals.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

His scene in Zoolander 2 was the only funny, interesting one in the whole movie.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He seems like a cool dude in real life, but there is a backlash against him because he was the object of really strong fangirling and has a funny name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPpYDHQVp9c

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw an advanced screening of Zoolander 2 months before release. I could have warned everybody, but I was sworn to silence by NDA. I'm so sorry. :cripes:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You monster.

Zoolander 2 is aggressively bad and one of the worst things since Dumb and Dumber 2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One thing that made Zoolander 1 work was that it was a clever remake of The Manchurian Candidate. They should have started Zoolander 2's production with a remake of something else in mind. Maybe keep the Frank Sinatra theme.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Electromax posted:

My god, it's full of stars!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

That reminds me, I want a Voltron movie. It sucks being just a little too old for nostalgia trend. Never going to see a live action Thundarr or Captain Caveman either.

I kind of hate no one caught onto Inhumanoids. An 80s kid show meant to sell toys but anyone who saw it as a kid knows it was Hasbro's masterpiece. Like GI Joe/etc. all had monsters in them at points but this show was literally baby's first Cthulhu mythos with all the monsters in it coming from underground and being crazy. One of the monsters, Tendril, is literally Cthulhu, like word for word a green blobby dude with tentacles that stumbles around like the show creators were specifically like "no none of that wings stuff he has to look like Lovecraft's original description of him ONLY." It was also crazy violent and bizarre in weird ways at the time since a lot of the characters were huge monsters they'd occasionally do stuff like have their limbs graphically get cut off and get impaled and such.

Or one of the monsters' gimmick was that its stomach area was transparent so you'd see its acid dissolving alive whatever it ate. There was also this one whom any human he touches immediately turns into like a ten foot tall demonic version of themselves, like, what? But direct sunlight makes them eventually turn back to normal so ideally what this character does is open it's massive rib cage and then enclose people in its heart/torso area, then transform them underground so he can make them his eternal servants. That's awesome. There were these other guys that were plant monsters who look like regular trees as they slumber for eons and the only way to communicate with them is to cut down trees a lot until they get collectively angry enough to wake up wtf. The toys were rad too because they made the monsters to scale with the humans.

The main characters were some humans in power armor but they all sucked compared to everything else being massive Lovecraft monsters/zombies/skeleton knights/tree dudes/warhammer 40K skeleton robot whip guys/prehistoric dinosaur gods/whatever.

I was looking up some clips of it to post here but then I found a Cinemassacre video that says a lot of what I said already and has a lot of the choice stuff so watch that. INHUMANOIDS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0KUz4Yg-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNnZsHarGUk

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This reminds of the "microverse" in Ant-Man.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also Voltron is a cartoon on Netflix and it is Good.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Also Voltron is a cartoon on Netflix and it is Good.

This is quite true and I am looking forward to the second season.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This reminds of the "microverse" in Ant-Man.
There was definitely talk around when Ant-Man was released that the stuff when he gets super-super-oh-poo poo tiny would share some visual connection to Doctor Strange, at least IIRC.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TetsuoTW posted:

There was definitely talk around when Ant-Man was released that the stuff when he gets super-super-oh-poo poo tiny would share some visual connection to Doctor Strange, at least IIRC.

Yeah, this is deliberate. The two are connected.

Also, if you're in the UK you have a somewhat more legitimate reason to dislike Cumberbatch, and that's that he's a massive supporter of the Tory party - in fact he's one of their top celebrity donors and has made strides to bring back fox hunting.

Him and Freeman, a massive Labour supporter, supposedly hate each other behind the scenes.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, this is deliberate. The two are connected.

Also, if you're in the UK you have a somewhat more legitimate reason to dislike Cumberbatch, and that's that he's a massive supporter of the Tory party - in fact he's one of their top celebrity donors and has made strides to bring back fox hunting.

Him and Freeman, a massive Labour supporter, supposedly hate each other behind the scenes.

You sure? I know he went to a super expensive private boarding school, but he's been an outspoken critic at the way the current government handles the refugee problem and it's scrapping of the human rights act.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah i just googled that and there's nothing to support it. I mean, anyone would expect someone with that name to be a hardline uppercruster, but it seems like he's not really. He and Freeman also seem to get along fine. I suspect the 'hate each other' is people misunderstanding what 'not a gay couple' means.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

You mean that two men can like each other without touching weiners?

my life...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

I kind of hate no one caught onto Inhumanoids. An 80s kid show meant to sell toys but anyone who saw it as a kid knows it was Hasbro's masterpiece. Like GI Joe/etc. all had monsters in them at points but this show was literally baby's first Cthulhu mythos with all the monsters in it coming from underground and being crazy.
I had the evil tree toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is Sherlock the show everyone likes Cumberbatch in? I watched the first "episode" and thought it was pretty good but I was really disappointed by the resolution of the mystery.

• Locked thread